Home
Posted By: bobnob17 Ruger Guide Gun - 01/25/13
Sorry if this has been posted but I couldn't find it.

Whattaya all think about these...

http://www.ruger.com/products/guideGun/models.html

[Linked Image]

Feel free to delete if its a duplicate to another thread.
Posted By: deflave Re: Ruger Guide Gun - 01/25/13
I think laminated stocks should be outlawed (except mine). I also can see the utility of the brake. But it makes my eyes hurt. And if it makes my eyes hurt, it's pretty GD ugly.

But it is a SS Ruger. That I love.

Travis
Posted By: 444Matt Re: Ruger Guide Gun - 01/25/13
8lbs without scope, that seems heavy to me.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Ruger Guide Gun - 01/25/13
Originally Posted by deflave
I think laminated stocks should be outlawed (except mine). I also can see the utility of the brake. But it makes my eyes hurt. And if it makes my eyes hurt, it's pretty GD ugly.

But it is a SS Ruger. That I love.

Travis

Near puked when I looked at it, but it probably shoots. Ditch the brake.
Posted By: Biggs300 Re: Ruger Guide Gun - 01/25/13
Some guides just don't like it when hunters show up with a braked rifle. So, I guess I'm not sure why they would come out with a "guide" gun with a brake (good thing it is removable). I do like Rugers and although a bit heavy, really don't have a problem with a laminated stock. I have a buddy with a Ruger 243 in a laminated stock and it is a really nice rifle and is very accurate.
Posted By: NH K9 Re: Ruger Guide Gun - 01/25/13
I think laminated stocks should be outlawed (except mine).

With all due respect (thus, very little grin ) GFY!!!

[Linked Image]

I'll keep mine on the SBL, though.

George
Posted By: mudhen Re: Ruger Guide Gun - 01/25/13
What in the hell were they smokin'?
Posted By: rem141r Re: Ruger Guide Gun - 01/25/13
get rid of the brake, knock 2" off the tube and offer it in a few more non-rcm cals and i'm on it. i'm thinking 35 whelen, 350 mag, 358 win and maybe 450 marlin. i like ugly.
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Ruger Guide Gun - 01/25/13
The green mountain laminate stock doesn't look good in pictures but is okay in person, I have two of them. The brake is replaceable by a "barrel weight" or some such that doesn't change POI or a thread protector so you can remove the thing entirely. it does look like a big schnoz on an otherwise pretty girl, but it will negate recoil quite a bit in some of the boomers this thing is chambered for. Without the brake the rifle looks pretty neat IMO with the iron sights and barrel band swivel stud.

I like that they gave it at least a 20" barrel. Enough so it isn't a total concussive blaster but still pretty handy. Well, okay, with the brake it'll be loud. But Ruger has a habit of putting too short barrels on otherwise useful rifles.

I can see they're going for the handy hard whacking Thumper, but the calibers are sort of wrong for a thumper. Yeah, yeah, I know, a 20" barrel .300 Win Mag is okay. Someone else can shoot that one, thank you. A .375 Ruger I can see, but the others not so much. A .350 Rem. Mag (aka .35 Whelen short)seems about right, but that chambering is pretty dead. The 9.3 BS seems like a perfect fit here as well. Maybe John and Charlie can pester the factories to legitimize that one. smile

The contour of the butt stock is less than graceful, again like a cute chick with a nice upper half and a fat butt. But the recoil pad has gotta beat the recycled tank treads Ruger has used as recoil pads and the adjustable LOP is certainly nice if a standard LOP doesn't suit one. Or you can change LOP for summer/winter use when your clothes change.

Functional it is. Pretty it ain't. But if you don't like it, take off the brake and put it in a factory laminate stock or even a walnut stock. Then you have a 20" barreled rifle that looks like this, which is a really neat looking rifle:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: MojoHand Re: Ruger Guide Gun - 01/25/13
Put that bitch out in 9.3 and I'm in line, pronto. Removeable brake is nice option. I would just ditch the heavy, ugly-ass stock. Other than that, it's just how I would set one up.
Posted By: bobnob17 Re: Ruger Guide Gun - 01/25/13
Much as its an unfashionable cartridge I would probably take one in the 338 RCM. Probably only about the equal of the 338-06 - not that I'm any expert - but in a short action I can see it doing a job.

A bit expensive though, I think. By the time they import them over here they'll be near two grand.
Posted By: taz4570 Re: Ruger Guide Gun - 01/25/13
Haven't owned an 8 pound rifle since the pre-64 Model 70 I have in the safe. Got it?

Now I go for Kimber Montanas and such. Best of both worlds. I carry them a whole lot more than I shoot them, so weight matters. And they handle better.
Posted By: Coyote_Hunter Re: Ruger Guide Gun - 01/25/13
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
... Functional it is. Pretty it ain't. But if you don't like it, take off the brake and put it in a factory laminate stock or even a walnut stock. Then you have a 20" barreled rifle that looks like this, which is a really neat looking rifle:

[Linked Image]

Huge fan of Ruger M77's, but agree completely. Don't like the brake - it's a deal killer except maybe in the .375 Ruger. Don't like the stock lines, either - could the butt be any less graceful?

Built my "Guide Gun" with a 22" .338WM barrel and a "boat paddle" stock. No f'ing brake and none needed.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: deflave Re: Ruger Guide Gun - 01/25/13
I do understand the logic behind it. Adjustable so the guide can fit the rifle to anybody. Brake so even Mrs. Hunter Guy can handle it on the first zebra she ever saw in her life. Laminate because Mr. Hunter Guy doesn't want to get too crazy and pay for a decent synthetic.

But [bleep], that thing looks awful.

Travis
Thought of buying one in .338 RCM and reboring up to .366 but figured by the time you do that and add new stock and custom dies, I could get a Sako or nice custom rig.

Still don't get why Ruger won't put out a few in 9.3-they got the tooling and it's hardly less if a seller than the .338 RCM, I'm guessing.
Posted By: DaSakoMan Re: Ruger Guide Gun - 01/25/13
WTF - have Ruger gone mad?? Decided to fit a clown colored laminated stock to the surplus GunScout barelled actions - and fit a brake ................

Gay as ever...........

Gus
Posted By: prairie_goat Re: Ruger Guide Gun - 01/25/13
I find the barrel mounted swivel stud and forend mounted stud to be more than a little ridiculous.
Posted By: NathanL Re: Ruger Guide Gun - 01/25/13
Guide gets to make his client go deaf shooting at the animal the client missed or wounded, win/win I guess.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Ruger Guide Gun - 01/25/13
ah you guys are just complainers...

I like it.. even if the muzzle brake isn't my cup of tea...that is a problem easily solved...

its about the right weight I like in a walking varminter...

wonder if they make it in an 223, without that hokey muzzle brake...

Muzzle brakes are for liberals, leftists and democrats...
Posted By: Henryseale Re: Ruger Guide Gun - 01/25/13
FWIW, All I have seen of this is the photos....BUT, that stock is some kinda ugly. Why not offer it with a decent synthetic stock option with a decent recoil pad? I like the idea of having three options on the muzzle: a brake, or a blank weight, or just a thread protector. Don't want a muzzle brake? No problem, just unscrew it and replace it with either of the other two supplied options. As to the barrel mounted sling swivel, I confess that I don't get it. Some seem to think it is cool and that's OK, but I don't see the need for it and would prefer it on the stock myself. Some have explained that having it mounted on the barrel keeps the stud from tearing into your hand during recoil. I never had a problem with that. I thought you were supposed to keep your left hand gripping the stock, not just resting on it. JMHO, YMMV. Best Regards to all.
Posted By: bobnob17 Re: Ruger Guide Gun - 01/25/13
Henry to my mind I feel you may be onto something. Though I don't mind the rifle, I feel the designers didn't make up their minds whether it was supposed to be a handy scrub rifle or a dangerous game safari rifle (for want of better terminology).

I also dislike that butt styling. This particular feature was one of the things I hated on the Gunsite Scout, among others. It is a shame to see it carry on in this rifle.

I admire Ruger's adventurous attitude for coming up with new products though. If this product wasn't likely to land here for near 2000 bucks I could see myself buying one.
Originally Posted by Henryseale
FWIW, All I have seen of this is the photos....BUT, that stock is some kinda ugly. Why not offer it with a decent synthetic stock option with a decent recoil pad? I like the idea of having three options on the muzzle: a brake, or a blank weight, or just a thread protector. Don't want a muzzle brake? No problem, just unscrew it and replace it with either of the other two supplied options. As to the barrel mounted sling swivel, I confess that I don't get it. Some seem to think it is cool and that's OK, but I don't see the need for it and would prefer it on the stock myself. Some have explained that having it mounted on the barrel keeps the stud from tearing into your hand during recoil. I never had a problem with that. I thought you were supposed to keep your left hand gripping the stock, not just resting on it. JMHO, YMMV. Best Regards to all.

Totally agree with you on the brake option.Don't get the people who can't grasp that the brake is removeable...probably not skilled enough to remove it either. Here's another tip-if the brake is on, whoever is not shooting can hold their hands over their ears!

I'm one of those who like the look of the barrel band swivel and an added bonus to me is that it keeps the end of the barrel that much lower on your back when traipsing through the thick stuff, YMMV.
Posted By: KenMi Re: Ruger Guide Gun - 01/25/13
The ceo said that it was by request from ph's that lend their clients guns. That's why the adj. Stock and muzzle brake. He said if someone does not like it they can buy a standard stock. Shouldn't it be the other way, or an option? Or at least they ould have a stock trade in program if they insist on having an ass ugly creation. He said the muzzle brake is good if you want to burn up a box and a half of extra 375 Ruger ammo shooting icebergs. Must be nice to get free ammo. His direct email is

[email protected]
Posted By: prairie_goat Re: Ruger Guide Gun - 01/25/13
Originally Posted by KenMi
The ceo said that it was by request from ph's that lend their clients guns. That's why the adj. Stock and muzzle brake.
I'm wondering how many rifles they will sell to ph's wanting a loaner rifle, as I would think most would just use a rifle already in camp. Seems like a very small market. Also, I can't imagine the market for 20" barreled 300 Win Mags is awfully strong.
Originally Posted by MojoHand

I'm one of those who like the look of the barrel band swivel and an added bonus to me is that it keeps the end of the barrel that much lower on your back when traipsing through the thick stuff, YMMV.

Nothing wrong with a barrel band swivel, (other than potential impact point shift while using a shooting sling) but when you have an extra stud on the stock digging into your back because Ruger was pyscho and designed the rifle with both studs... I mean why?
Posted By: pointer Re: Ruger Guide Gun - 01/28/13
Wonder if they'll sell that stock seperately. Might be an option for a rifle for a growing kid...
Posted By: local_favorite Re: Ruger Guide Gun - 02/25/13
Anyone seen one of these in person yet? I'd be in if it was chambered in .35 Whelen. Heck I might even consider it if it was available in 9.3.
Posted By: Coyote_Hunter Re: Ruger Guide Gun - 02/26/13
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Functional it is. Pretty it ain't. But if you don't like it, take off the brake and put it in a factory laminate stock or even a walnut stock. Then you have a 20" barreled rifle that looks like this, which is a really neat looking rifle:

[Linked Image]

Here's my thumper in summer dress. Fluted 22" barrel, .338WM.

The action and barrel are just sitting in the stock loosely as the barrel channel was still too small (.30-06 barrel size). Wanted to see how it would look.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: SSB Re: Ruger Guide Gun - 02/26/13
Put the 20" SS barreled action in one of their synthetics in '06....lose the brake and I could see it as a pretty handy upper midwest deer/bear slayer.....
Posted By: Lee_Woiteshek Re: Ruger Guide Gun - 02/26/13
I wonder how much velocity is lost in the 30-06 chambering. I'd would beat down the doors of the local gun store if they chambered it in .308
Posted By: local_favorite Re: Ruger Guide Gun - 02/26/13
Originally Posted by SSB
Put the 20" SS barreled action in one of their synthetics in '06....lose the brake and I could see it as a pretty handy upper midwest deer/bear slayer.....

Yeah that's kind of why I'd love to see this gun in .35 Whelen. 20" barrel (about perfect length for the Whelen) and good iron sights on a stainless Ruger action is a winner in my book. I can live with the stock and as many have said, thank goodness the brake is removable.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Ruger Guide Gun - 02/26/13
It's a Guide Gun. Serf's shouldn't have one since they aren't guides.

OTOH, I know a fella what just spent $4500 for a gas gun in case he has to handle Armegedon by his own self. There is no boundary on what people will buy.
Posted By: BCSteve Re: Ruger Guide Gun - 02/27/13
I'd take the older Alaskan over this new Guide anyday!
Posted By: CRS Re: Ruger Guide Gun - 02/28/13
Interesting that it is not available in 416 Ruger.
Posted By: EdM Re: Ruger Guide Gun - 02/28/13
I'll stick with my old 35 Whelen RS Guide Gun. laugh

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire