Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Henry to my mind I feel you may be onto something. Though I don't mind the rifle, I feel the designers didn't make up their minds whether it was supposed to be a handy scrub rifle or a dangerous game safari rifle (for want of better terminology).

I also dislike that butt styling. This particular feature was one of the things I hated on the Gunsite Scout, among others. It is a shame to see it carry on in this rifle.

I admire Ruger's adventurous attitude for coming up with new products though. If this product wasn't likely to land here for near 2000 bucks I could see myself buying one.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Henryseale
FWIW, All I have seen of this is the photos....BUT, that stock is some kinda ugly. Why not offer it with a decent synthetic stock option with a decent recoil pad? I like the idea of having three options on the muzzle: a brake, or a blank weight, or just a thread protector. Don't want a muzzle brake? No problem, just unscrew it and replace it with either of the other two supplied options. As to the barrel mounted sling swivel, I confess that I don't get it. Some seem to think it is cool and that's OK, but I don't see the need for it and would prefer it on the stock myself. Some have explained that having it mounted on the barrel keeps the stud from tearing into your hand during recoil. I never had a problem with that. I thought you were supposed to keep your left hand gripping the stock, not just resting on it. JMHO, YMMV. Best Regards to all.

Totally agree with you on the brake option.Don't get the people who can't grasp that the brake is removeable...probably not skilled enough to remove it either. Here's another tip-if the brake is on, whoever is not shooting can hold their hands over their ears!

I'm one of those who like the look of the barrel band swivel and an added bonus to me is that it keeps the end of the barrel that much lower on your back when traipsing through the thick stuff, YMMV.

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
The ceo said that it was by request from ph's that lend their clients guns. That's why the adj. Stock and muzzle brake. He said if someone does not like it they can buy a standard stock. Shouldn't it be the other way, or an option? Or at least they ould have a stock trade in program if they insist on having an ass ugly creation. He said the muzzle brake is good if you want to burn up a box and a half of extra 375 Ruger ammo shooting icebergs. Must be nice to get free ammo. His direct email is

Mike.FiferRuger.com

Last edited by KenMi; 01/25/13.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by KenMi
The ceo said that it was by request from ph's that lend their clients guns. That's why the adj. Stock and muzzle brake.
I'm wondering how many rifles they will sell to ph's wanting a loaner rifle, as I would think most would just use a rifle already in camp. Seems like a very small market. Also, I can't imagine the market for 20" barreled 300 Win Mags is awfully strong.
Originally Posted by MojoHand

I'm one of those who like the look of the barrel band swivel and an added bonus to me is that it keeps the end of the barrel that much lower on your back when traipsing through the thick stuff, YMMV.

Nothing wrong with a barrel band swivel, (other than potential impact point shift while using a shooting sling) but when you have an extra stud on the stock digging into your back because Ruger was pyscho and designed the rifle with both studs... I mean why?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wonder if they'll sell that stock seperately. Might be an option for a rifle for a growing kid...

IC B2

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Anyone seen one of these in person yet? I'd be in if it was chambered in .35 Whelen. Heck I might even consider it if it was available in 9.3.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Functional it is. Pretty it ain't. But if you don't like it, take off the brake and put it in a factory laminate stock or even a walnut stock. Then you have a 20" barreled rifle that looks like this, which is a really neat looking rifle:

[Linked Image]

Here's my thumper in summer dress. Fluted 22" barrel, .338WM.

The action and barrel are just sitting in the stock loosely as the barrel channel was still too small (.30-06 barrel size). Wanted to see how it would look.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 02/25/13.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
S
SSB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Put the 20" SS barreled action in one of their synthetics in '06....lose the brake and I could see it as a pretty handy upper midwest deer/bear slayer.....

We eat organic in our house, we just have to shoot and gut it first.....
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I wonder how much velocity is lost in the 30-06 chambering. I'd would beat down the doors of the local gun store if they chambered it in .308

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by SSB
Put the 20" SS barreled action in one of their synthetics in '06....lose the brake and I could see it as a pretty handy upper midwest deer/bear slayer.....

Yeah that's kind of why I'd love to see this gun in .35 Whelen. 20" barrel (about perfect length for the Whelen) and good iron sights on a stainless Ruger action is a winner in my book. I can live with the stock and as many have said, thank goodness the brake is removable.

Last edited by local_favorite; 02/26/13.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's a Guide Gun. Serf's shouldn't have one since they aren't guides.

OTOH, I know a fella what just spent $4500 for a gas gun in case he has to handle Armegedon by his own self. There is no boundary on what people will buy.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'd take the older Alaskan over this new Guide anyday!

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Interesting that it is not available in 416 Ruger.

Arcus Venator
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I'll stick with my old 35 Whelen RS Guide Gun. laugh

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

429 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 260Remguy, 260madman, 1minute, 47 invisible), 2,433 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,859
Posts18,478,555
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.