Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Sorry if this has been posted but I couldn't find it.

Whattaya all think about these...

http://www.ruger.com/products/guideGun/models.html

[Linked Image]

Feel free to delete if its a duplicate to another thread.

GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I think laminated stocks should be outlawed (except mine). I also can see the utility of the brake. But it makes my eyes hurt. And if it makes my eyes hurt, it's pretty GD ugly.

But it is a SS Ruger. That I love.

Travis

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
8lbs without scope, that seems heavy to me.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by deflave
I think laminated stocks should be outlawed (except mine). I also can see the utility of the brake. But it makes my eyes hurt. And if it makes my eyes hurt, it's pretty GD ugly.

But it is a SS Ruger. That I love.

Travis

Near puked when I looked at it, but it probably shoots. Ditch the brake.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Some guides just don't like it when hunters show up with a braked rifle. So, I guess I'm not sure why they would come out with a "guide" gun with a brake (good thing it is removable). I do like Rugers and although a bit heavy, really don't have a problem with a laminated stock. I have a buddy with a Ruger 243 in a laminated stock and it is a really nice rifle and is very accurate.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
IC B2

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
I think laminated stocks should be outlawed (except mine).

With all due respect (thus, very little grin ) GFY!!!

[Linked Image]

I'll keep mine on the SBL, though.

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What in the hell were they smokin'?

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
get rid of the brake, knock 2" off the tube and offer it in a few more non-rcm cals and i'm on it. i'm thinking 35 whelen, 350 mag, 358 win and maybe 450 marlin. i like ugly.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The green mountain laminate stock doesn't look good in pictures but is okay in person, I have two of them. The brake is replaceable by a "barrel weight" or some such that doesn't change POI or a thread protector so you can remove the thing entirely. it does look like a big schnoz on an otherwise pretty girl, but it will negate recoil quite a bit in some of the boomers this thing is chambered for. Without the brake the rifle looks pretty neat IMO with the iron sights and barrel band swivel stud.

I like that they gave it at least a 20" barrel. Enough so it isn't a total concussive blaster but still pretty handy. Well, okay, with the brake it'll be loud. But Ruger has a habit of putting too short barrels on otherwise useful rifles.

I can see they're going for the handy hard whacking Thumper, but the calibers are sort of wrong for a thumper. Yeah, yeah, I know, a 20" barrel .300 Win Mag is okay. Someone else can shoot that one, thank you. A .375 Ruger I can see, but the others not so much. A .350 Rem. Mag (aka .35 Whelen short)seems about right, but that chambering is pretty dead. The 9.3 BS seems like a perfect fit here as well. Maybe John and Charlie can pester the factories to legitimize that one. smile

The contour of the butt stock is less than graceful, again like a cute chick with a nice upper half and a fat butt. But the recoil pad has gotta beat the recycled tank treads Ruger has used as recoil pads and the adjustable LOP is certainly nice if a standard LOP doesn't suit one. Or you can change LOP for summer/winter use when your clothes change.

Functional it is. Pretty it ain't. But if you don't like it, take off the brake and put it in a factory laminate stock or even a walnut stock. Then you have a 20" barreled rifle that looks like this, which is a really neat looking rifle:

[Linked Image]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Put that bitch out in 9.3 and I'm in line, pronto. Removeable brake is nice option. I would just ditch the heavy, ugly-ass stock. Other than that, it's just how I would set one up.

Last edited by MojoHand; 01/24/13. Reason: S

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Much as its an unfashionable cartridge I would probably take one in the 338 RCM. Probably only about the equal of the 338-06 - not that I'm any expert - but in a short action I can see it doing a job.

A bit expensive though, I think. By the time they import them over here they'll be near two grand.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Haven't owned an 8 pound rifle since the pre-64 Model 70 I have in the safe. Got it?

Now I go for Kimber Montanas and such. Best of both worlds. I carry them a whole lot more than I shoot them, so weight matters. And they handle better.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
... Functional it is. Pretty it ain't. But if you don't like it, take off the brake and put it in a factory laminate stock or even a walnut stock. Then you have a 20" barreled rifle that looks like this, which is a really neat looking rifle:

[Linked Image]

Huge fan of Ruger M77's, but agree completely. Don't like the brake - it's a deal killer except maybe in the .375 Ruger. Don't like the stock lines, either - could the butt be any less graceful?

Built my "Guide Gun" with a 22" .338WM barrel and a "boat paddle" stock. No f'ing brake and none needed.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 01/24/13.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I do understand the logic behind it. Adjustable so the guide can fit the rifle to anybody. Brake so even Mrs. Hunter Guy can handle it on the first zebra she ever saw in her life. Laminate because Mr. Hunter Guy doesn't want to get too crazy and pay for a decent synthetic.

But [bleep], that thing looks awful.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thought of buying one in .338 RCM and reboring up to .366 but figured by the time you do that and add new stock and custom dies, I could get a Sako or nice custom rig.

Still don't get why Ruger won't put out a few in 9.3-they got the tooling and it's hardly less if a seller than the .338 RCM, I'm guessing.

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
WTF - have Ruger gone mad?? Decided to fit a clown colored laminated stock to the surplus GunScout barelled actions - and fit a brake ................

Gay as ever...........

Gus

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I find the barrel mounted swivel stud and forend mounted stud to be more than a little ridiculous.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Guide gets to make his client go deaf shooting at the animal the client missed or wounded, win/win I guess.

Last edited by NathanL; 01/24/13.

Otto is my co-pilot.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
ah you guys are just complainers...

I like it.. even if the muzzle brake isn't my cup of tea...that is a problem easily solved...

its about the right weight I like in a walking varminter...

wonder if they make it in an 223, without that hokey muzzle brake...

Muzzle brakes are for liberals, leftists and democrats...

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
FWIW, All I have seen of this is the photos....BUT, that stock is some kinda ugly. Why not offer it with a decent synthetic stock option with a decent recoil pad? I like the idea of having three options on the muzzle: a brake, or a blank weight, or just a thread protector. Don't want a muzzle brake? No problem, just unscrew it and replace it with either of the other two supplied options. As to the barrel mounted sling swivel, I confess that I don't get it. Some seem to think it is cool and that's OK, but I don't see the need for it and would prefer it on the stock myself. Some have explained that having it mounted on the barrel keeps the stud from tearing into your hand during recoil. I never had a problem with that. I thought you were supposed to keep your left hand gripping the stock, not just resting on it. JMHO, YMMV. Best Regards to all.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (1minute, 1234, 117LBS, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 53 invisible), 2,467 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,875
Posts18,518,107
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.