Home
Posted By: AlaskaCub POS Remington 700's!! - 04/05/13
Well I picked up this SS 700 ADL in 30-06 on sale locally here a while back. I bought a 1st Gen Rem Ti Takeoff here on the Campfire Classifieds, I even bedded and floated the barrel myself , not once but twice (first job was embarrassing). I adjusted the X-Mark trigger to lighten the pull and voalah, the target pic below represents a 6 shot group at 200 yards with cheap old 165 grain Fusion factory fodder and the lower group with a slightly lower and left POI is a 6 shot group of 168 grain Barnes TTSX factory fodder. She wears one of the newer Bushnell Elite 3-9x40's and so far I cant imagine being to much happier with the results of this thing, pretty happy camper.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ingwe Re: POS Remington 700's!! - 04/05/13
I agree. I just picked up an SPS and plopped it into a Ti take off stock...it shoots like schitt too...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: AlaskaCub Re: POS Remington 700's!! - 04/05/13
Yup , absolute junk!
Posted By: Swampman700 Re: POS Remington 700's!! - 04/05/13
I've always loved the Model 700. They shoot great.
Wait until the bolt handle falls off!

Couldn't resist, I'm a 700 fan too....
Yeah might have to have Kampfeld put a knob on it to expedite the handle falling off.
Posted By: 257heaven Re: POS Remington 700's!! - 04/05/13
I know better than to shoot the second-hand 223 SPS I bought for a donor. It will become a 25-204 soon........but not soon enough!

Posted By: MagMarc Re: POS Remington 700's!! - 04/05/13
Those really do suck. You should pawn them off on some unsuspecting sucker laugh
Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: POS Remington 700's!! - 04/05/13
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
Yeah might have to have Kampfeld put a knob on it to expedite the handle falling off.

Yup, with the bigger bolt knob I suppose its easier to pick up when it falls off-grin I really like the Campfire knob for that.
And I'll also agree, the SPS's can shoot, this 7mm-08 should work out fine, 140 grain Fusion ammo @ 100 yards. These where the 1st 5 shots to get on target.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ingwe Re: POS Remington 700's!! - 04/05/13
The bolt, the flutes, the bottom metal...very tacticool.... cool
Nice, is that one you had him bead blast for you?
Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: POS Remington 700's!! - 04/06/13
Nice, is that one you had him bead blast for you?
Yup, Karl made more purdy:)
Posted By: kwg020 Re: POS Remington 700's!! - 04/06/13
As I recall the proper term for a Remington rifle is a "sucks". kwg
Posted By: AlaskaCub Re: POS Remington 700's!! - 04/06/13
You know what still has me a bit bamboozled is the fact that the Barnes 168 TTSX loads hit about 1 1/2 to 2" lower than the Fusions do. The 165 gr Coreloks and the 165 grain Interlocks hit to almost the same POI as the Fusions do , and it suprises me that the Barnes loads hit that much lower. Have read that the Fusions are generally loaded a little mild but they have been almost identical to most other 165 gr factory loads I have shot. Cant imagine 3 grains making that much difference or they are just that much slower.
Posted By: EddyBo Re: POS Remington 700's!! - 04/06/13
I re-tube every 700 I can get my hands on....therefore I never ever shoot em first. Have seen too many that shot too good to use as donors.
Posted By: GuyM Re: POS Remington 700's!! - 04/06/13
AC - nice shooting and a very cool all-around hunter you've got there.

Rem 700's have been very good to me over nearly 40 years. This is a 100 yard group fired last year a bit before taking my .25-06 out for mule deer & pronghorn. 115 Nosler Ballistic Tips & Retumbo. Yeah, it worked fine on mule deer & pronghorn as well as coyotes!
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

What mods to my rifle? Ah.... I lightened the trigger pull a little, loaded for it and shot it... That's it. Danged thing shoots just fine.

Yours ought to be one mighty fine all-arounder. Looks good & shoots good.

Guy
You know what still has me a bit bamboozled is the fact that the Barnes 168 TTSX loads hit about 1 1/2 to 2" lower than the Fusions do. The 165 gr Coreloks and the 165 grain Interlocks hit to almost the same POI as the Fusions do , and it suprises me that the Barnes loads hit that much lower. Have read that the Fusions are generally loaded a little mild but they have been almost identical to most other 165 gr factory loads I have shot. Cant imagine 3 grains making that much difference or they are just that much slower.
The weight of the boolit has absolutely no bearing on where it will hit the target. Upon firing the barrel vibrates as the boolit is traveling down it, where the boolit exits the barrel in relation to this vibration is where it will impact the target. Thus a lighter boolit can actually hit lower on the target than a heavier one. This is why when we work up loads we search for the one load that exits the barrel in about the middle of the vibration cycle. As you add powder to the load you can see the groups opening and closing because of this phenomenon. Changing something as innocent as the primer can alter POI several inches. It changes the vibrations of the barrel. If you have seen the donuts that Sims sells for the barrel, this is to try and change the harmonics of the barrel. Same goes for the BOSS system on the Browning and Winchester rifles. As you move the BOSS brake out further it changes the harmonics within the barrel.
Posted By: Scorpion Re: POS Remington 700's!! - 04/06/13
Looking good, rifle looks great in the Ti handle!
Posted By: SixGunHunter Re: POS Remington 700's!! - 04/06/13

I zero'ed Federal Trophy Bonded 130 grain from my T/C Prohunter. It shot 1/2" MOA at 100 yds. Caliber .270.

Imagine my horror when I dropped Hornady GMX 130 gr. into the chamber and consistly shot 1/2" MOA...BUT 8 inches high right.

Zero'ed my Model 7 with the same results using Hornady 140 gr. SST, only with 4" grouping, while the Winchester Ballistic 140 grain is 1" MOA.

I am not bashing Hornady. I actually Like Hornady. I use it in more firearms than any other manufacture, just never ever my Model 7 or T/C.
Posted By: Swampman700 Re: POS Remington 700's!! - 04/06/13

Try some 180s in it if you want to tighten that group up some.
Originally Posted by Holcombe30347
The weight of the boolit has absolutely no bearing on where it will hit the target. Upon firing the barrel vibrates as the boolit is traveling down it, where the boolit exits the barrel in relation to this vibration is where it will impact the target. Thus a lighter boolit can actually hit lower on the target than a heavier one. This is why when we work up loads we search for the one load that exits the barrel in about the middle of the vibration cycle. As you add powder to the load you can see the groups opening and closing because of this phenomenon. Changing something as innocent as the primer can alter POI several inches. It changes the vibrations of the barrel. If you have seen the donuts that Sims sells for the barrel, this is to try and change the harmonics of the barrel. Same goes for the BOSS system on the Browning and Winchester rifles. As you move the BOSS brake out further it changes the harmonics within the barrel.

That makes some sense but it does seem odd that most of the other loads in the same weight grain land very closely to the same POI on a vertical scale and for these 168's to hit even lower than 180 grain Power Points kind of surprised me. This pic below has a group covered in black stickies just below the orange bullseye ,that was 3 shots from factory 180 gr powerpoints and they actually impact higher than the 168 gr TTSX's.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Swampman700

Try some 180s in it if you want to tighten that group up some.

Naahhh, 1"-1.5" @ 200 yards with flyers included is plenty good by me.
Posted By: patberg Re: POS Remington 700's!! - 04/06/13
I have had and still do have quite a few 700s, cant say I have ever had a real bad shooter. A couple I had to work up loads for to get to shoot well.
Posted By: WranglerJohn Re: POS Remington 700's!! - 04/06/13
Yep, POS Remington 700's. I was bored, so I wanted to build up a quick rifle. Used a new Remington 700 action and because I couldn't wait for the custom specification Pac-Nor barrel, in the meantime I stuck a Bergara prefit barrel on it chambered for .22-250. Head spaced it and tightened the barrel nut down with a plumber's strap wrench. Then screwed it down in a Bell & Carlson stock. Picked two loads out of a manual and loaded some break-in ammo. Thing didn't shoot worth a crap, I was real disappointed.

[Linked Image]

Those little red diamonds are 1/2" square, I expected much better groups at 100 yards. You'd think all ten shots would stay together! I guess I should have bought a complete factory Remington rifle. Oh well, live and learn.

That makes some sense but it does seem odd that most of the other loads in the same weight grain land very closely to the same POI on a vertical scale and for these 168's to hit even lower than 180 grain Power Points kind of surprised me. This pic below has a group covered in black stickies just below the orange bullseye ,that was 3 shots from factory 180 gr powerpoints and they actually impact higher than the 168 gr TTSX's.

[Linked Image]
I had a Tikka 06 once that would shoot 150's 165's and 180's all to the same POI but that was a very unusual barrel. When working up loads I expect the different bullet powder combos to be off by several inches in any direction. Especially the mono boolits like the tsx's. My 6.8 shoots the accubonds and the Sierra prohunters about an inch apart and shoots both very well. If all of this wasn't so. there would be no need for windage adjustments on sighting systems. We would only need up and down elevation adjustments to account for the various weight boolits as the sights would be in the very center of the sighting line and preset at the factory. I love it when a load comes together and when you keep shooting the hole in the target just seems to get a little darker with each shot. Means you have hit the sweet spot for that particular gun/load.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: POS Remington 700's!! - 04/06/13
Originally Posted by WranglerJohn
Used a new Remington 700 action and...stuck a Bergara prefit barrel on it....and tightened the barrel nut down.

I've never seen a Rem 700 with a barrel nut.
Posted By: JSH Re: POS Remington 700's!! - 04/06/13
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Used a new Remington 700 action and...stuck a Bergara prefit barrel on it....and tightened the barrel nut down.

http://www.bergarausa.com/Store-View.php?id=423

You have now.
Uses the Savage-type system threaded for a 700 action.
Posted By: Jericho Re: POS Remington 700's!! - 04/07/13
Wow, I just bought a 700ADL synthetic in 223 not long ago at a
good price. Havent shot it yet, so I should just sell it and
get rid of it?
Posted By: AlaskaCub Re: POS Remington 700's!! - 04/07/13
Yeah dump it Jericho, they are junk!.....grin

Posted By: 28lx Re: POS Remington 700's!! - 04/07/13

Interesting I have almost always had heavier bullets impact higher on target.
Posted By: JSH Re: POS Remington 700's!! - 04/07/13
Originally Posted by Jericho
get rid of it?

I have no idea why you are asking me but I guess that's up to you. I was just pointing out that there is a Remington 700 system that uses a barrel nut now. No judgement was implied.
Posted By: ingwe Re: POS Remington 700's!! - 04/07/13
Originally Posted by Jericho
get rid of it?
Yes. get rid of it. Being the benevolent soul that I am, Id be willing to offer 50 cents on the dollar.... whistle
Posted By: Jericho Re: POS Remington 700's!! - 04/07/13
JSH, I was just fooling, nothing intended towards you.
Posted By: dubePA Re: POS Remington 700's!! - 04/07/13
get rid of it?

Get shed of it before it makes ya crazy mad.

One of my hunting buds bought one when they were still "new". Picked up several boxes of American Eagle 50gr soft points so he had something to shoot in it right away, along with RCBS dies.

That POS shot so well with that cheap ammo, that he went back and bought an entire case from the same lot number, never did get around to using the dies. Claimed he'd use his time to load "real ammo".

So naturally, I eventually had to have one myself. Would've prefered having his rifle, but his widder won't sell anything.

My M700ADL synthetic (1984 vintage) cost me $395 (used, but barely). That included scope bases and a Timney aftermarket trigger, which is superb. It's one of the "original" ones like his, with a fairly stout 24" barrel and yeah, it also shoots very well.
Posted By: AlaskaCub Re: POS Remington 700's!! - 04/07/13
I've got a McMillan Edge in Olive Speckletone coming that should be here next month. Its inletted for a mag contour with bottom metal since I was gona put it in a 257 ROY that I recently sold. So now I gotta decide whether to pick up a POS SPS in 300WM,7MM, or a short mag to put in it, decisions decisions......
Posted By: ingwe Re: POS Remington 700's!! - 04/07/13
Heres another POS...

A Stainless SPS I had AIed and plopped into a Ti stock...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: POS Remington 700's!! - 04/08/13
Originally Posted by JSH
Originally Posted by Reloder28

http://www.bergarausa.com/Store-View.php?id=423

You have now.
Uses the Savage-type system threaded for a 700 action.

Thank you.
Posted By: woods_walker Re: POS Remington 700's!! - 04/08/13
Are the new 700 SPS' manufactured without the J lock?
Posted By: ingwe Re: POS Remington 700's!! - 04/08/13
Affirmative.
Posted By: Reloader7RM Re: POS Remington 700's!! - 04/08/13
My 700s shoot like crap too.

Sorry about your misfortune.
Posted By: Tanner Re: POS Remington 700's!! - 04/08/13
Stock Rem 700s don't shoot very scheeit at long range, either.
Posted By: ironbender Re: POS Remington 700's!! - 04/08/13
Originally Posted by cubbie
the target pic below represents a 6 shot group at 200 yards with cheap old 165 grain Fusion factory fodder and the lower group with a slightly lower and left POI is a 6 shot group of 168 grain Barnes TTSX factory fodder.

Huh? My eyes or your typing? smile
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: POS Remington 700's!! - 04/08/13
They call 'em SUX for a reason.
Posted By: woods_walker Re: POS Remington 700's!! - 04/09/13
I was just on the Remington site to see if they offered the 700 SPS in .280 Remington which is a caliber I've never owned but have come so very close and to my surprise it's not available. I had thought that caliber would match up nicely with this model.
Posted By: Swampman700 Re: POS Remington 700's!! - 04/09/13
They make the .270 and the .30-06. There's no need for the .280.
Posted By: donsm70 Re: POS Remington 700's!! - 04/09/13
I just bought a Rem. 700, 7mm Mag and a Leupold 3.5-10x40 w/CDS from the Campfire. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but I will report on it, when I do.
Posted By: woods_walker Re: POS Remington 700's!! - 04/09/13

I've been using the .30-06 forever and it meets all of my needs. Have had only one .270 a pre 64 Model 70 that left my collection prematurely. I did write down order# 27269 when I was on the site as a backup plan. My renewed interest in the .280 of late has as much to do with trying to minimize the number of components I stock while still experimenting with rifles.

Mine's a POS too!!!! Just bought it a couple weekends ago and changed the mounts and rings 3 times now and had 2 different scopes on the bastid.....Got bored yesterday and tried my new/old scope with new Leupold DD's (looks great and works good too)...Anyway, went out and got cold and wet because of this POS that kept temting me to take her out and try her out whistle...This one is an older BDL chambered for the 22-250 and she doesn't do too bad. I really need to find a good load for the old girl though...:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Keep in mind I was adjusting the scope and I couldn't see my target stand to do my regular ol sight down the bore and adjust the scope so I shot and luckily when I went down range to see where I hit the target, my taget stand pvc leg had taken a hit so I knew where It was mad...I walked back to the rifle and made an adjustment and shot, still needed to go to the left, adjusted to the left, now too much to the left (I was cold and wasn't counting clicks because I couldn't feel my hands anyway)....Made a final adjustment (up and back over to the right a little bit) and then shot for the bullet hole that I could see eek sick..Anyway, looks like another sub moa (5 shot group) shooter....:
[Linked Image]
grin
Posted By: Reloader7RM Re: POS Remington 700's!! - 04/09/13
You should can that piece of garbage quick BSA. A shame such poor quality left the plant.
Posted By: AlaskaCub Re: POS Remington 700's!! - 04/09/13
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by cubbie
the target pic below represents a 6 shot group at 200 yards with cheap old 165 grain Fusion factory fodder and the lower group with a slightly lower and left POI is a 6 shot group of 168 grain Barnes TTSX factory fodder.

Huh? My eyes or your typing? smile

No I mentioned it in the thread in the Gunwriters secton regarding Fusion ammo, but looks like I didnt comment on it here. There were in fact 6 of each round fired at each target, in both groups 2 bullets were in the same hole. You could slightly see the larger hole from the front looking closely but it was easier to see from the back of that plastic foam stuff the range gives us to hold the targets.
Posted By: safariman Re: POS Remington 700's!! - 04/09/13
Those of us who do not care for a model 700, like myself, generally do admit that they are most often quite accurate. At least they do if they are intelectually honest. Accuracy is not the issue that causes our disdain. A Bolts are often scary accurate, too. Come to think of it, so are Savage 110's and the like once the trigger got fixed. Rail guns are accurate, too.
Posted By: ironbender Re: POS Remington 700's!! - 04/09/13
Thanks Cub. Nice shooting!
Posted By: las Re: POS Remington 700's!! - 04/12/13
Originally Posted by ingwe
Heres another POS...

A Stainless SPS I had AIed and plopped into a Ti stock...

[Linked Image]

Crikes, Ingwe- that's a 3 inch group. Count the squares! Just average. smile
Posted By: JSTUART Re: POS Remington 700's!! - 04/12/13
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

[Linked Image]

Let no man ever tell you that you are not dedicated....mad, probably!
blush.....Gotta test them in all sorts of conditions grin. The little BDL worked like a champ!! Funny thing is, my new to me tang safety ruger 77 (270 win) had 3 misfires out of 20 rounds sent downrange...I had to tear the bolt apart and remove some sludge inside the bolt body: Some idiot had grease in there and it was cold enough that it was forcing it (brown paste) out of the firing pin hole at the bolt face mad.. Fired it a few days ago with no problems, so that must have fixed the problem.. It's much better to find these problems at the range, rather than when you are drawing a bead on a dandy bull or buck.
I just cant believe BSA admitted to owning a Remington laugh
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: POS Remington 700's!! - 04/14/13
Well I picked up this SS 700 ADL in 30-06 on sale locally here a while back. I bought a 1st Gen Rem Ti Takeoff here on the Campfire Classifieds, I even bedded and floated the barrel myself , not once but twice (first job was embarrassing). I adjusted the X-Mark trigger to lighten the pull and voalah, the target pic below represents a 6 shot group at 200 yards with cheap old 165 grain Fusion factory fodder and the lower group with a slightly lower and left POI is a 6 shot group of 168 grain Barnes TTSX factory fodder. She wears one of the newer Bushnell Elite 3-9x40's and so far I cant imagine being to much happier with the results of this thing, pretty happy camper.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Nice shooting, now just keep your fingers crossed that your bolt handle don't fall off and you should be good........Grin..............Hb
Posted By: AlaskaCub Re: POS Remington 700's!! - 05/05/13
Well here we go again, I don't know why I subject myself to this punishment. Bought a 700 ADL in 25-06 yesterday, swung by Bass Pro and in the spirit of the Burris Fullfield II discussion in the optics forum I snagged one up with the ballistic plex and a pair of Talley lows. Brought the gun home and cleaned it real well, removed the epoxy from the trigger and did the best job I could to lighten her up a bit and then slapped her in a Ti Take off. Bought a box of Barnes factory 100 TTSX's and headed to the range this morning. Gotta love it when the first 6 shots out of a new POS rifle look like this. Ended up with a 1.25" group at 200 yards when I called it, I was having a hell of a time shooting it for accuracy with a guy hammering away with a 338 Lapua and the biggest dam muzzle break/flash suppressor I have ever seen in my life just 5 ft away from me (goddamm that thing was loud). I keep hearing about Remingtons quality going to chit , but I gotta tell you......I aint seen that!.....grin

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Tanner Re: POS Remington 700's!! - 05/05/13
ADL 25/06s in a Ti takeoff are damn near perfect for hiking and murdering....

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ingwe Re: POS Remington 700's!! - 05/05/13
Dat stock needs a little silver and black 'money shot' webbing....
Posted By: reelman Re: POS Remington 700's!! - 05/06/13
The M700 has always been known as a good accurate rifle but in all honesty there are so many good accurate rifles made today that the groups on this thread are really not that different than can be done with most M70, 110, Tikka, Ruger, etc. nowadays.
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: POS Remington 700's!! - 05/06/13
Having owned rifles from Tikka, Sako, Savage, Husqvarna, Kimber, Remington, Ruger, Winchester, etc, they were all plenty accurate or were made to be (sub-MOA), but this most recent R700 barrel is the most accurate factory barrel that I've ever owned. This kind of accuracy is usually what I would expect out of a premium match-grade barrel, not a factory tube...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ingwe Re: POS Remington 700's!! - 05/06/13
Originally Posted by reelman
The M700 has always been known as a good accurate rifle but in all honesty there are so many good accurate rifles made today that the groups on this thread are really not that different than can be done with most M70, 110, Tikka, Ruger, etc. nowadays.

I would agree with that but I bend towards the 700 cause theres more aftermarket junk for them...and I cant leave well enough alone... wink
Posted By: AlaskaCub Re: POS Remington 700's!! - 05/06/13

I agree with you to some degree and I have owned/own all the rifles you mentioned and then some. But I will tell you that me not being a handloader and having to run the gauntlet of hope in accuracy from factory ammo in flavors I have confidence hunting with, I have been beyond fortunate in the way the last 5 or 6 Remingtons have performed for me. The same cant be said for all the brands you mentioned above and some I have owned and sent down the road because I couldn't get them to shoot factory ammo with the kind of accuracy I demand. These Remingtons have ranged from $379 ADL's to $1,000 CDL SF's, none have let me down, or made me work all that hard to grin!
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: POS Remington 700's!! - 05/06/13
Originally Posted by ingwe

I would agree with that but I bend towards the 700 cause theres more aftermarket junk for them...and I cant leave well enough alone... wink

That's usually my rationalization, too grin
Posted By: colorado Re: POS Remington 700's!! - 05/06/13
Yeah those 700s really suck. Three shot group with a 45 year old BDL in 270 at a measly 100 yards

[Linked Image]

Here's our 45 year old 270 with our 2 year old XCR II

[Linked Image]

Our 375 Weatherby XCR II at the same distance (I blame the shooter, me) ...

[Linked Image]

Posted By: rem338win Re: POS Remington 700's!! - 05/06/13
I hates the SUCKS. They cost me mo' money every time I hold a good one.
Particularly when a person sticks a solid ADL in my hand for only 3 Brown Trout (Canadian Benjamins).
Posted By: ingwe Re: POS Remington 700's!! - 05/06/13
Originally Posted by rem338win
3 Brown Trout (Canadian Benjamins).

Im coming up to your country next month after a 3 year absence. I was unaware of the 'Brown Trout' but know about loonies and twonies....anything else I should know? wink
Posted By: ltppowell Re: POS Remington 700's!! - 05/06/13

Bwahahha. I wish.
© 24hourcampfire