Mine would be :

1. Rem. 600 action
2. Bartlein #3 20"long
3. 7-08 140 Accubond
3. HS Precision
4. Timney Trigger
5. Leica 2.5-10x44 w/elevation turret
7. S&K Skulptured bases
I've got a few "perfect" whitetail rigs.....
I'm happy for you Tom
Thanks you're-a peach...
Originally Posted by Tom264
I've got a few "perfect" whitetail rigs.....

Yup, me too..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
Ok, what would you build if money was no object>

Do I have to build? Id like to handle a Kimber once, but so far id be perfectly content with an Abolt composite stalker in 30-06. Wish id never sold it, have the same in a 270 WSM now, but the forearms shorter and I dont like that. Have two 700's. one 35 Rem, other 7-08, but feeding issues got me down on one, other havent shot yet. So if its ok by you ill take the Abolt and spend the rest of my no object money on a new camp grin
1. Rem. 700 short action
2. Stainless Douglas Remington KS contour (.6 at muzzle) 20". 1-9" twist
3. 250AI 80gr TTSX
4. McMillan Hunter's Edge
5. Shilen Trigger
6. Leupold 2-7x with elevation M1
7. Talley lwts
RD, Is that a 770? grin
I don't know about a cost no object build, but I have one that serves well enough.

Rem. 700 LVSF barreled action, 308 Win.
Original 700 trigger tuned up
McMillan 700 Classic stock
Leupold VX-7 2.5-10x45
Warne 30mm rings

I mostly shoot 150 gr. Interlocks out of it, but it shoots many suitable bullets very well.
1. m700
2. Fluted #3 Brux or Rock or Krieger, SS, 22"
3. 243 AI, 80 gr. TTSX
4. McEdge
5. OG Rem trigger
6. Loopy 2.5-8x36 w/ dotz
7. Talleys

The one I've been using has done okay. Rem 700, DBM, 30-06 topped with a Conquest.

That said - lottery winnings in hand I'd probably do something like a

CRF Win M70
Light contour barrel for balance
6.5 Sweed
Edge
Leup 2.5-8 with turrets

OR

Single shot of some sort done by Steven Dodd Huges (maybe this )
5 figure cost walnut
Rust blued
275 Rigby and so marked
Fixed 6x scope
RD, Is that a 770? grin

I couldn't afford that....Maybe next year...
John Moses;
Since this is the Campfire and we sometimes tend to go off the rules just a tad, I'll start with this little disclaimer/explanation.

This is a rifle that I originally bought to hunt elk, rebarreled with the intention of making a better cut block and sagebrush bowl mulie rifle and have had it along when I've run into more whitetail bucks. Confusing I know - sorry. blush

So it began life as a Liberty Model Ruger 77 in .338 Win Mag. to which I added one of the first Ramline wood grain stocks I'd seen.

The Ramline went away shortly after I had it barreled with a Parker Hale .308" blank. It's a pretty light contour barrel - almost featherweight at the muzzle, but enough meat at the chamber to make it safely into a .308 Norma, which is what happened.

I buffed off the finish off of the receiver and rust blued the whole works.

The next and so far final stock is my version of what happens to a Richards Microfit semi-inletted blank. They did leave a fair bit of wood for me to work with, but it certainly wasn't a "drop in" by anyone's definition.

The trigger is the original that I took apart, polished and tweaked it a bit and replaced the springs. It breaks at 2�lb now.

The rings are stock Ruger, but the bottom half of the ring is epoxied in place now which is something that I do to rifles that get taken out and about in our BC mountains.

The scopes have been everything from a 4X Bushnell, then a 6X Japanese Weaver, then a 6X Leupold Compact and finally a Leupold 6x42 now.

Anyway, here it is a scope or two back.
[Linked Image]

Along the way it's sort of become a bit of a "lucky" rifle for me, so although I don't always hunt with it, it's always one that's sighted in before season and when it comes out things seem to appear.

Lately I've been running 168gr TSX's in it and they've been working well for me.

Thanks for the thread John Moses and all the best to you and yours in the upcoming week.

Regards,
Dwayne
Kampfeld Custom mountain in 250 A.I. with less than a few months wait smile. Only build I ever did and maybe the last......spoiled me.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

Here is mine

Rem 700 300saum
Original trigger that has been tuned
Original synthetic stock
Leupold vx3 6.5-20x40
DNZ one piece mount
168gr TTSX

Overkill, most likely. But that's what my rifle likes and why change it. Its enough to kill a whitetail.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
1. Rem. 700 short action
3. 250AI 80gr TTSX
5. Shilen Trigger
7. Talley lwts

I'd do very similar to this, except I would go standard 250 savage
Originally Posted by ruger438
1. Rem. 700 short action
3. 250AI 80gr TTSX
5. Shilen Trigger
7. Talley lwts

I'd do very similar to this, except I would go standard 250 savage
I've killed plenty of deer with winchester 100gr factory ammo out of my Ackley, but the 85 Barnes X bullet at 3400 mo better fun and actually cheaper. grin
Remington 700 Classic, 270 Win. (1981 Vintage)
Leupold M8 4x, Redfield 2pc. bases and low rings
Uncle Mike's Mountain Sling
Works with any 130 gr. bullet....Remington Core-Lokt, Federal Premium, or NP handloads.
Have many other options but, it's always with me when I'm after PA or NY whitetails....it has NEVER let me down.
SS Rem 700 Short Action
#3 contour SS barrel ... something good. 21", 1-10" is fine
McM Edge w/ 13 1/4" LOP
Timney or OS Rem 700 trigger at #3
Talley LW's
VX3 2.5-8x36

.250-3000 Sav
Oh, I'd still use the 80 grn ttsx, just in the standard 250.
Didn't mention my current favorite is my 70 stainless classic in 308 44 grns varget / 150 hornady interlocs ( my homemade 300 savage :)) with m8 4x

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]
Couple of Ruger 77s in 243 and 260..

Couple of Featherweights....223, 6.5 x 55, 7 x 57

Couple of Model 70 Sporters, 243, 223, 260 Rem, 30/06, 270

Couple of ADLs...223, 243, 30/06, 6mm Rem
I'm thinking a nice new ford f150 extended cab 4x4 with my remington 700mtn rifle in 270 sporting my Leupold var x ii 3-9x40 stowed behind the seat.
Originally Posted by bangeye
I'm thinking a nice new ford f150 extended cab 4x4 with my remington 700mtn rifle in 270 sporting my Leupold var x ii 3-9x40 stowed behind the seat.

Come to think of it, I got quite a few whitetails with my '94 lincoln town car. How many grains would that beast weigh? All one hit kills too. Super tender meat. smile
Originally Posted by ruger438
Oh, I'd still use the 80 grn ttsx, just in the standard 250.
Didn't mention my current favorite is my 70 stainless classic in 308 44 grns varget / 150 hornady interlocs ( my homemade 300 savage :)) with m8 4x

we're close my other go to is a Ti 3006 with 180gr SPBT. I call it skeletor.

[Linked Image]
.257 bob in a mauser of some sort.
My perfect whitetail rig......

Remington 700 SS SA
22" PAC-NOR #2
7mm-08 AI w/140gr Accubond
McMillan Mtn. Rifle
Shilen trigger
FX-3 6x42 custom shop dots to 600yds
Talley LW's

It's currently at Eddies getting freshened up or I'd post a pic........

X-VERMINATOR
Model 70 FWT
257 Roberts
120 grain Speer deep curls @ 2950
A 1980 Marlin 336C in 35 Rem with Talley LW lows and a new Redfield 2-7X. Yeah, it's only good out to 175 or so yards, but I can make that work.
Since money is no concern.

Borden action (probably with the bumps)
#4 Brux with flutes 1-10 twist
Chambered in 30-06
Mcmillian stock (Sako 75 pattern)
Jewel trigger set at 1.5 lbs
Leupold 3.5x10x40 ( or a new vx6 2-12)

Dink

I like that Micro-groove, Got one real similar to that.

Remington actions seem to be pretty popular.
Give me a receiver sighted Savage 99F...

.250 or .243...
My current whitetail rig is a NULA in 7-08 with 120 gr Barnes TTSX and topped with a Zeiss Diavari C.

Second choice is a Colt CLR/NULA hybrid in 7x57 with 140 gr Barnes TTSX and wears a Kahles scope.

donsm70
7x57 Fwt M70 Leupy 1.5-5

[Linked Image]
That rifle is one unicorn and a rainbow away from being the gayest gun I've ever seen.

wink

Is it for sale?
Win 70 CRF stainless
1:12 .358 22" barrel (358 Win)
McM Edge
Leupold VXIII 2.5-8x

Or at least that's what I'm pining after this week...
Model 7, lightweight McMillan KS ADL stock, 20" barrel, Leupold 3-9x40mmA0, in Talley low ltwts, 300 Savage.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

DMc
m700
#5 hart
McMillan
schmidt
Originally Posted by vacrt2002
Kampfeld Custom mountain in 250 A.I. with less than a few months wait smile. Only build I ever did and maybe the last......spoiled me.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

Do you mind posting the specs on that its nice!
I doubt that I know what that would be. I have/had many over the years, seems that each worked at the time. At least I had meat in the freezer. Now days perhaps a lighter rifle with a scope. Don't see as well as I used to. Last one I used was a Tikka T3 light 338 Federal. Killed deer and was easy to carry. The 9.3X62 worked as well, but was a bit heavy. My first one was a WWII Mauser in 8mm with a peep site, killed more deer with that one than any other. As I recall I paid $75 at a local LGS. Barrel looks like a sewer pipe, but still MOD, minute of deer. As a loony, I doubt that there a perfect White Tail rifle, until I think one is better than the one I used last year.
Something lever action.. maybe a 30-30 or a 44 Remington Mag

If I couldn't kill the deer with my bow that is.. grin
Building mine right now:

Model 70
.260 rem
brux #3 stainless 1:8 twist finished to 22"
Bridges mcmillan stock
cerakoted
Loaded with 130 TTSX
Ok, what would you build if money was no object>

1. Action make?
2. BBl make, contour and length?
3. Caliber and preferred bullet?
4. Stock mfg and pattern?
5. Trigger?
6. Scope?
7. Mounts?

This ought to be fun.

It is fun! wink

I don't know which one is perfect but mine would be (is)a pre 64 M70 FW in 270 Winchester with the standard FW contour barrel,original M70 trigger,Leopld DD mounts and bases, and a 4X Leupold or equivilent.

I would shoot a 130 gr Nosler Partition or 130 Bitterroot(or modern day equivilent) at 3100 fps.

I have used various calibers/bullets/cartridges from 25 caliber to 300 magnums on whitetails,but have used the above 270 combination pretty much continent wide and on whitetails from dinks to those dressing close to 250 pounds and have not seen anythng that does the job any better.Makes killing whitetails astonishingly easy.

Mechanically,the pre 64 M70 works every time.Bolt travel is smooth,fast,and extraction/ejection/feeding pretty much goof proof and positive.

I have used a bunch of stocks, both wood and synthetic,and it really does not matter so long as it fits,is portable and comfortable to shoot,and aligns the eye with the sights properly.

My Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in 7x57 with my Leupold 2.5 X 8.

The Perfect Whitetail Rifle. cool
Have been on this search for many years, and have gone through many rifles. The closest thing I have come to be my perfect deer rifle, in my style/area of whitetail deer hunting, is a Kimber Montana in .308, Talley low ring/base, Leupold 2.5-8. I am sure any of the other calibur offerings in this rifle would also be fine!

HeavtBarrel
DMc!

I like your style!!

HeavyBarrel
vacrt2002

AWSOME RIFLE!! Got several nice rifles for trade ifn your interested!! Lol

HeavyBarrel
Shiloh Sharps 1874 Saddle Rifle, 26 inch standard octagon barrel in .45-70, buckhorn rear sight and blade front with vernier sight for long range, 500 gr cast bullet over 66 grs of Kik FFFg black powder

[Linked Image]
You obviously don't do much still hunting..
[Linked Image]

Trued 700
McMillan HTG
21" Pac Nor
.308 Win
Leu Tact 3.5-10

I used to worry a good deal about equipment selection, now Im just as likely to grab my BLR in 358 win as my ruger #1 in 270 win or my browning 78 in 30/06, as I head out the door on a white tail deer hunt.
a good quality Leopold 2x7x or 3x9x scope sure helps.
they are all fully able to hit and kill anything looking like a white tail deer,Ive ever needed to shoot, out well past any reasonable range I see game at,even in the more open pine and palmetto brush ,even from a climbing tree stand 250 yards is going to an exceptionally long range and very rare shot.
I have been saving money for a few years to build a fast handling rifle in a proven whitetail cartridge - 250 Savage.

Savage Arms R&D department beat me too it. Savage 99-A

[Linked Image]
1. Action make?
~Rem 700 LA
2. BBl make, contour and length?
~Brux 3 @ 25" CeraKoted
3. Caliber and preferred bullet?
~7mm Rem MAG with 150 gr PP
4. Stock mfg and pattern?
~B&C Alaskan (Black with Grey Web)
5. Trigger?
~Tuned OldSchoolWalker @ 2#
6. Scope?
~Nikon Monarch 2-10X40
7. Mounts?
~Talley LW Lows

[Linked Image]
(Scope and mounts have been replaced since this pic. I will re-tube when this one is gone)
That rifle is one unicorn and a rainbow away from being the gayest gun I've ever seen.

wink

Is it for sale?

Here is why the unicorn is missing....killed by the 7x57.....

[Linked Image]

And I get so happy when I eat this stuff that I fart rainbows.... grin
Currently, my LVSF / TI in .308 w/ Leupold 2.5X8.

[img:left][Linked Image]v[/img]

Only way to make it better would be if it was 7-08 like my son's. grin

You obviously don't do much still hunting..

It works very well from a stand or slipping through the woods still hunting in the Piney Woods and swamps. The tang sight is off for most hunting.
Several years ago, I came across a .308 Browning Safari, pencil barrel on a small ring Mauser. The barrel had been floated with a camp ax (slight exaggeration) and the stock had been cut and padded about an inch short. The price was really good, so I bought it for a doner. But being curious, I bought a red box (blue nowadays) of Federal 150s, and promptly shot a 5/8" group. And then two more just under and just over that. I went back and got all the dealer had left with that lot number. Oh yes, the scope is a 4X Zeiss. It has killed deer and other critters from up close to way too far. It is my grab and go to bolt gun.

The too short stock is a blessing under two circumstances. Mt daughters like to use it, and it really works for me when heavy winter clothes are called for. It is ok in shirt sleeves as the scope is mounted enough forward to compensate.

I am an old hand and have killed a lot of both WT and MD. I qualify as a rifle looney, so I have used a lot of chamberings. I once (a long time ago and in a land far away) forgot that it might offend the game warden and shot a meat deer between the eyes with a .22LR at about 25 yards. DRT. I have used .22 center fires, a bunch with the .243, .30-30, .300 Sav., .30-06, .270, .257R and Wby., 7mmRM, .338-06 and some I have likely forgotten.

I still go out and sit and watch the deer. If I ever shoot another, it will be with a Marlin .30-30, the above .308, or a grade III BAR in .30-06.

IMHO, the .338-06, 7mmRM, and perhaps the .30-06 is more than is needed for deer. The ..308 may be ideal even for long range sniping. The .243 and under may fall short unless one has the discipline and patience to pass difficult shots. Otherwise, they will kill deer, DRT!

New technology in bullet making has changed the game for the better over the last fifty something years. I still have three '06s that I keep for the rifles they are in, not for need. I have never used any of them, but the ideal WT rifle may be the 6.5 or 7 on the .308 case. Jack
This one is about as perfect as I've done. It's a 250AI but anything from 243 to 308 would be fine.

Borden alpine
#1 rock short shank 22" 10 twist
Jewel 24oz
Adl mountain rifle
6x42 with dotz
Talleys
100gr nbt at 3130
[Linked Image]
Oops scope has been swapped since that pic. Was a 2-7 with m1 in pic. Wife thought dotz was simpler since she's never needed to shoot past 100yards or so. She might be right.

It is fun! wink

I don't know which one is perfect but mine would be (is)a pre 64 M70 FW in 270 Winchester with the standard FW contour barrel,original M70 trigger,Leopld DD mounts and bases, and a 4X Leupold or equivilent.

I would shoot a 130 gr Nosler Partition or 130 Bitterroot(or modern day equivilent) at 3100 fps.

I have used various calibers/bullets/cartridges from 25 caliber to 300 magnums on whitetails,but have used the above 270 combination pretty much continent wide and on whitetails from dinks to those dressing close to 250 pounds and have not seen anythng that does the job any better.Makes killing whitetails astonishingly easy.

Mechanically,the pre 64 M70 works every time.Bolt travel is smooth,fast,and extraction/ejection/feeding pretty much goof proof and positive.

I have used a bunch of stocks, both wood and synthetic,and it really does not matter so long as it fits,is portable and comfortable to shoot,and aligns the eye with the sights properly.

[/quote]

You've about nailed it for me also. I haven't quite gone to a fixed power scope and am running Talley LW. You could insert a couple other cartridges on the same platform and I'd not fuss the difference to any extent. Money being no object I'd have it "built" by one of several great smiths, at least a couple of Canadians and several across the border.
After several dozen rifles thru my hands it is where I have ended up, albeit a factory barreled fwt waiting for a McMillan (ordered but expected after the season is over).
If I could find one......
Weatherby Mark V stainless 270 Win. factory wt. 6 1/4 lbs.
Leupold VX 3 2.5-8X36 with HEAVY DUPLEX.
Just bout ANY Factory ammo would work just fine.
AMRA
This one:

[Linked Image]
Weatherby Mark V 6 lug 7mm-08
Stainless Carbine 20" Barrel
McMillan Sako Classic Stock, standard fill
Zeiss 2.5-10x42 Diavaris Victory
S&K stainless mounts
Weight 7lbs 1oz
Loves Barnes 120G TTSX VorTx
Since money is no object...

Satterlee Titanium Mauser action
McMillan Hunter's Edge stock
Talley Rings
Leupold 6X42 with a CDS and custom German #4 reticle with windage dots (since money's no object, I would make someone make make/install the reticle for me! wink
22" barrel with polygonal rifling of whatever countour gets the balance just ahead of the front screw>
260 Remington shooting 140gr Bergers/Scenars

PS- I've used literally none of that to date, so I could easily change my mind.
Originally Posted by HeavyBarrel
DMc!
I like your style!!
HeavyBarrel

Thx HB, the Model 7 seems to have fallen out of favor within the Campfire, but for anyone that's shouldered a McKS Edge stock, I believe their interest would be renewed. The caliber..., just an old-timer, LIKE ME.

DMc

My newest is my current favorite. Kimber 84M Classic Select in .257 Roberts with upgraded wood. Have only killed one deer with it, but I am sure it will do more in the future. Has a VXii in 3-9 on it now in Talleys as that is what I had laying around, going to put a vx3 2.5-8 on it in the future.

I've always wanted a 7x57 and likely will do one in a Model 70 FW or maybe build on a Kimber 84L, but for now I'm happy.
Originally Posted by Cruiser1
This one:

[Linked Image]
Weatherby Mark V 6 lug 7mm-08
Stainless Carbine 20" Barrel
McMillan Sako Classic Stock, standard fill
Zeiss 2.5-10x42 Diavaris Victory
S&K stainless mounts
Weight 7lbs 1oz
Loves Barnes 120G TTSX VorTx

Close ....

Mine is a MkV Deluxe 7-08 24" barrel (needs shortened) Talley LW's FX-3 6x42.

Nice thing about the 24" tube, is 140's can get launched at 3000 fps. 99% of my hunting isn't in situations where the extra bothers me.

On occasion I'll turn to my MkV SS Fibermark in 280.

Edited to add .... that damn little carbine is neat ... real neat
Cooper 7mm-08

Tikka T3 25.06

Stainless/Synthetic preferred

22" barrels are the shortest I tend to go.

I would build something along these lines to make a custom. I love the smoothness in the action of a Tikka, I wonder sometimes if I even chambered a round?
A few come to mind.

A 6.8 SPC in AR or bolt

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I can't believe that after 7 pages no one has mentioned that the near-perfect whitetail rifle already exists in the millions - Winchester 94 Carbine in 30-30. Spend the build money on hunting trips, go forth and kill whitetails by the truckload.

drover
Originally Posted by drover
I can't believe that after 7 pages no one has mentioned that the near-perfect whitetail rifle already exists in the millions - Winchester 94 Carbine in 30-30. Spend the build money on hunting trips, go forth and kill whitetails by the truckload.

drover

Under 100 yards only grin
Originally Posted by pointer
Since money is no object...

Satterlee Titanium Mauser action
McMillan Hunter's Edge stock
Talley Rings
Leupold 6X42 with a CDS and custom German #4 reticle with windage dots (since money's no object, I would make someone make make/install the reticle for me! wink
22" barrel with polygonal rifling of whatever countour gets the balance just ahead of the front screw>
260 Remington shooting 140gr Bergers/Scenars

PS- I've used literally none of that to date, so I could easily change my mind.

I hope you are a young man! You could be very old by the time you received the components for it.

My best white tail rig is the one that I hunt with at the time.
I don't think there is a wrong answer..

I still can't decide on just one. Have a few new ones to try this year but I know how it will end up. The first deer I kill I will use that gun the rest of the season or if I miss then I will switch in fear I have bumped the scope off. I hunt a lot of deep woods and some long rite a ways

700, 25/06, SS, DM, Boyd walnut, Leupold VX3 3.5-10
270 BAR Leupold Vari X III 3.5-10
CZ 550 22-250 Nikon 3-9x50
Sendero 270 Leupold 6.5-20
If I were going to get something new it would only be to have something different than what I already have so, just to be different I'd.....

- Peirce Titanium short action for a 7-08 w/3 pos safety and M-16 extractor
- Hart bbl 22" or 23" in 9 twist (lots of other custom bbl would do also) in #2 or #3 contour
- McMillan MR Edge fill painted grey with tan and black speckletone
- Timmney or Shilen SS trigger
- Sunny Hill or McMillan aluminum machined Oberndorf bottom metal
- Talley or Peirce aluminum rings
- Black-T metal finish
- Leupold VX3 2.5-8 or 3.5-10 HD reticle
Since I don't sit much, don't like having rifles that are too nice to hunt with, and hunt 99% of the time in open country, I'll stick with:

Tikka 695 7Mag (bulletproof)
2-12x42 VX6 CDS w/optilocks
140/160 AB's

Remington 700 modified by HCR 7mag
Precision Stockworks by McMillan
Leupy VX3 4.5-14LR CDS Talley LW's
160AB's or Partitions
Looks like a lot of fn modifications to just go whitetail hunting...I'll just stay here (out west) and use my good ol pre 64 model 70's...Hunting mulies doesn't require that many mods grin...
Seen some beautiful rigs!

Hoping my perfect whitetail rig becomes my NULA 7/08 with talley low mounted Leupy 1.5-6 scope, shooting (????).

If not, the .358BLR gets the call.
My Deer Rifle choice is:
Roy's MK V chambered in 270 Jack with a 3-9 Leupold and a 1907 sling. I feel this is old school American.
John,
I have several whitetail rigs that are good, probably the closet to a classic is a Vanguard stainless 30-06 that likes Hornady 180 SP but it's not perfect.

A perfect pure whitetail rifle for me at this time would be a M700 SPS stainless .308 Win. and have Bansner install and paint one of their high tech stocks. If the factory barrel shot real good I would keep it, if not a Pacnor #3 with the shank end trimmed to 1 1/2" from face of bolt to beginning of contour, with a 21" over all length.

Scope would be Zeiss Conquest HD 2-10x42 with the Zeiss duplex reticle.

A Timney trigger set at about 2 1/2 lbs.
Already have my perfect WT rig.

Pre-64 Winchester in 270 WCF in a beautiful stick of English walnut, complete with case colors and skeletonized grip cap and butt plate and a 1" Montana sling.

2.5-8 Leupold riding in a set of steel Talleys guiding the 150 gr NPT's at 2925 fps, factory worked trigger breaks at a clean 2 lbs.

Gunner
Pre-64 Model 70 Winchester .270 with a 4x Leupold Mountaineer scope.

That's my go-to gun for just about everything in North America, except for the two large bears, bison, musk-oxen, moose, elk and mountain goat.

But for everything else, that's usually what I grab.

Either that, or the Ruger Model 77r in 7x57 Mauser with a slightly more modern version of Leupold's 4x scope.

For the larger stuff, it's the Whitworth .375 Holland and Holland Magnum with a 1-4x Leupold.

As you might gather, I'm not keen on mega-magnification scopes. I mean, what's the point of having that type of device, anyway?
Model 700.
I hunt a few very different terrains so I'll list my three favorites.

1. Pre safety 336 in 30-30. XS sites worked over triger and action. 150gr barnes shooting well in it right now

2. Browning BLR in 308. straight grip take down. Leupold VX3 2.5-8

3. Winchester M70 EW 30-06 bedded in an Edge VX3 3.5-10 in a set of Talleys with CDSs for 165gr Hornady Interlok and 180gr Partiton

Ain't made it to the woods with this one yet, but it'll see blood this November. Can't wait to poke a shoulder with it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
.257 Roberts. Now there's a perfect deer caliber. Nice.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Looks like a lot of fn modifications to just go whitetail hunting...I'll just stay here (out west) and use my good ol pre 64 model 70's...Hunting mulies doesn't require that many mods grin...

Yeah but they're still 75 trick moves away from the finest actions ever made................. grin
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
me too sometimes

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by gunnut308

Ain't made it to the woods with this one yet, but it'll see blood this November. Can't wait to poke a shoulder with it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That'll work.... wink

I can't believe that after 7 pages no one has mentioned that the near-perfect whitetail rifle already exists in the millions - Winchester 94 Carbine in 30-30.
drover

Yeah, the 30-30 is so perfect, I have NOT had one since 1975.

Humm, haven't missed it either. Anything a 30-30 can kill, can be killed by any number of 'longer' ranged rifles.

There are ALOT of things that ARE killed WAY out of the RANGE of any 30-30.

DON'T MEAN TO OFFEND, I will not limit myself with a short range rifle --any cal/cart.
Pretty much anything spitting a bullet from 6-8mm is "perfect" for whitetails. Bigger and smaller are okay too. It's the shooters that have the flaws.
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Pretty much anything spitting a bullet from 6-8mm is "perfect" for whitetails. Bigger and smaller are okay too. It's the shooters that have the flaws.

A 308W in tha foehead is always a good idea, 'eh Lt.? smile

Gunner
Damn, that is very nice GN308, congrats, hope ya bust one of those big lake bottom bucks with it.

Gunner
I've had a TRAIN load of rifles, cal/cart. and MANY are well qualified as great deer rifles.

This one is HARD TO BEAT for hunting in any style, stand, still, or stalk. The only thing that CAN be improved is it's LOOKS and beautiful wood is rarely light. This one is 'beautiful' TO HUNT.

Tikka T3 Lite SS 270 Win.
[Linked Image]

This one is my fav rifle, it's just NOT the perfect cal.
Win 70 FTWT 6.5X55 Swede
[Linked Image]
jwall guy should be happy with that pair... wink
Originally Posted by jwall

I can't believe that after 7 pages no one has mentioned that the near-perfect whitetail rifle already exists in the millions - Winchester 94 Carbine in 30-30.
drover

Humm, haven't missed it either. Anything a 30-30 can kill, can be killed by any number of 'longer' ranged rifles.

DON'T MEAN TO OFFEND, I will not limit myself with a short range rifle --any cal/cart.

Precisely. A .30-30 is virtually worthless in this day-and-age of limited opportunity and the procurement of educated (mature) animals, at least on the Western Front (aka; western hemisphere).
You're right jwall. Every time I shoot my Tikkas I have to just shake my head. To say they're easy to load for is an understatement.
Originally Posted by gunner500

Gunner

Yessir, or a .22Hornet. I think "Why is your perfect deer rifle perfect?" would be a good thread.
C'mon, JM. We know you'd never abandon those shiny Brownings of yours. wink
Originally Posted by Maverick940

drover

Precisely. A .30-30 is virtually worthless in this day-and-age of limited opportunity and the procurement of educated (mature) animals, at least on the Western Front (aka; western hemisphere).

Guess I should have clarified. For me the perfect whitetail rig would be the 94 carbine in 30-30.

Reason - where I reside the only whitetails are in the river bottoms among the trees if a shot is available rarely will it be more than a 50 yd. shot, much less a 100 yd. shot. No beanfields or open country where I hunt. I can operate a lever rifle much faster than a bolt action should a 2nd shot be needed and the quick-handling qualities of a 94 carbine are hard to beat.

drover
Originally Posted by BobinNH
jwall guy should be happy with that pair... wink

Thank you and I am as happy as a dead pig in the sunshine. Incidently, NEITHER one is for sale.

Originally Posted by JGRaider
You're right jwall. Every time I shoot my Tikkas I have to just shake my head. To say they're easy to load for is an understatement.

Yes, JG, you are NOT exaggerating. The Tikka is absolutely the EASIEST rifle I've ever had to get shooting small groups. I have NOT tried a bunch of combos because I didn't need to.

Thnx guys:
Pic of my Kimber .257 Roberts. No desire to change much of anything on it. I've got simple tastes though....
[Linked Image]

Gunner

Yessir, or a .22Hornet. I think "Why is your perfect deer rifle perfect?" would be a good thread.

Would be a fine thread indeed. smile

Gunner
For the biggest majority of my whitetail hunting, a Marlin 336 in .35 Rem gets the job done just fine.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by fordisto
For the biggest majority of my whitetail hunting, a Marlin 336 in .35 Rem gets the job done just fine.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Now you're talkin!!!

Rem 600, 35 Rem

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

7600 Carbine - 35 Rem

[Linked Image]

...another plastic one:

[Linked Image]

DMc
Nice buck Fordisto!
No need to spend money. Already have it:

1. LH Rem 700 SA
2. Rem M7 Stainless take off barrel @ 20"
3. .243 Win, 95 gr Nosler Partition
4. McMillan Model 7 ADL, Standard Fill
5. Timney trigger
6. Burris 2x8 Signature
7. Leupold mounts

8 lbs even all up. Looks like this:
[Linked Image]

Has not yet filled an ark. But probably a couple small jon boats...
This one has worked out pretty well for me so far.

Rem 700 SS ADL in 243 Win
McMillan Classic
Leupold 3.5-10x40 w/ M1 elevation turret
Mountain Sling
Talley Lightweights
Shoots 80gr TTSX's over RL17 into bugholes

Plan to lop 2" off the barrel and punch the chamber to 243AI soon.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Scorpion

McMillan Classic
Mountain Sling
Talley Lightweights

So thats what happened to your Dicks SS ADL. Nice!
While I love hunting with my Marlins if I was going to describe my perfect deer rifle it would be as follows:

Remington Model 7
22" Lilja Barrel
260 Remington
HS Precision stock
2X10 Vortex scope

It has all been put together and I am waiting on the scope and the final finish. Hopefully this fall I will find out if I was right in putting this combination together.
Originally Posted by ingwe
7x57 Fwt M70 Leupy 1.5-5

[Linked Image]

Ingwe, how does that scope function in low light hunting applications? I have one I'm thinking about sticking on a Ruger Compact... Have you used it in low light/dark timber scenarios?
Originally Posted by pahick

McMillan Classic
Mountain Sling
Talley Lightweights

So thats what happened to your Dicks SS ADL. Nice!

Yep! This is just 1 of 3, my 270 got dropped into a McMillan KS takeoff as a beater (might end up a 280AI), and the 7mm-08 is dropped into a Ti stock and is now a 7mm-08AI. Lots of bang for the buck!

Yep! This is just 1 of 3, my 270 got dropped into a McMillan KS takeoff as a beater (might end up a 280AI), and the 7mm-08 is dropped into a Ti stock and is now a 7mm-08AI. Lots of bang for the buck!

Good deal! My 243 ended up a 35 rem from Pacnor, in a Ti stock. Shoots great, feeds like [bleep] grin Sent it to Malm to fix, then he passed away. His boys just sent it back the other day...debating who might look at it next, or rechamber to 358 Win. Kinda wished id have bought 2-3 more of those SS ADL's. Price was right wink
For woods hunting deer and bear up North I found my 99f 358 Win. to have the power I felt would enable shots at running game. I felt confident with this rifle and hunted with as much effort that I could.

It proves that a larger, deeper wound improves shot placement!

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Cheesy
Pic of my Kimber .257 Roberts. No desire to change much of anything on it. I've got simple tastes though....
[Linked Image]

That is a very nice rifle too Cheesy, I'm kindly simple meself. blush grin

Gunner
my blue lagoon

rem 700 la trued blue
hart #2 22"
micky rem classic LT blue, white, turquoise
3.5x10x44 Zeiss
6.5x55
shoots anything good
[Linked Image]
I would search for a perfect blacktail rifle first...

Steyr Mannlicher 257 Robert
Leupold FX 3 6x42mm

Or a Ruger m77 Mannlicher to save a few bucks.. wink
Originally Posted by rockchucker
my blue lagoon

rem 700 la trued blue
hart #2 22"
3.5x10x44 Zeiss
6.5x55
shoots anything good
[Linked Image]

Weird, but to each there own ......

I wanna play. I'm with a lot of you others out there. I already have an awesome whitetail rig.

Rem 700 with a 22" A&B barrel. Chambered for 338-06AI. I usually shoot 200 grain Hornady flat base bullets. This winter I worked up a load with 225 Accubonds. It wears the original Remington checkered synthetic stock with a homeade camo Krylon paint job. It wears a Leupold VX-2 3-9x40 with CDS dial. I've never had a deer (whitetail or mulie) or elk take even a step after they were shot with one of those 200 grain Hornadys.

A lot of darn nice looking remingtons out there.
Originally Posted by bigswede358
I wanna play. I'm with a lot of you others out there. I already have an awesome whitetail rig.

Rem 700 with a 22" A&B barrel. Chambered for 338-06AI. I usually shoot 200 grain Hornady flat base bullets. This winter I worked up a load with 225 Accubonds. It wears the original Remington checkered synthetic stock with a homeade camo Krylon paint job. It wears a Leupold VX-2 3-9x40 with CDS dial. I've never had a deer (whitetail or mulie) or elk take even a step after they were shot with one of those 200 grain Hornadys.

Somewhat of an overkill though, wouldn't you say?
[Linked Image]

These two are among my favorites.

Up top is a Ti in .260 w/ Douglas barrel sitting in a Mickey Edge with Talley rings. A Leupold 3.5-10x40 w/ CDS is waiting to be mounted.

Down below is a factory Ti in .308 with a Leupold 2.5-8x40.

If I were given a free build, a NULA in 7-08 would be fun to try. I need something to fill the gaping hole between my .260 and .308, anyway.

Expert in everything...except how to use spellchek.....
How's that pathetic puss-gut helping you, nowadays, Ignoramous Way?

Just saying .....
Originally Posted by Savage_99
For woods hunting deer and bear up North I found my 99f 358 Win. to have the power I felt would enable shots at running game. I felt confident with this rifle and hunted with as much effort that I could.

It proves that a larger, deeper wound improves shot placement!

[Linked Image]

Nice looking Mannlichers there
The rifle on top is a Brno 22F 8x57 with a Kahles 2-7-36.

Next is a MS 30-06 that I have shot some, made loads for and found it quite accurate.

Third is the 99F 358 Win. My main VT rifle.

Fourth is a MS full stock carbine in .358 Win.

[Linked Image]
my blue lagoon

rem 700 la trued blue
hart #2 22"
3.5x10x44 Zeiss
6.5x55
shoots anything good
[Linked Image]

yep and it's a meat making sum bish
Good for you, though I'm not sure I'd present that weapon on Western hunt, unless I was female. But back here, in the East, it would probably be popular with girls (anyway). I thin you could get top-dollar for that on Newbury Street, in Boston.
Originally Posted by Cheesy

[Linked Image]

Very Nice Cheesy.

I DO like good Walnut! (reluctant to say wood, round here) smirk
my blue lagoon

rem 700 la trued blue
hart #2 22"
3.5x10x44 Zeiss
6.5x55
shoots anything good
[Linked Image]

You poked yer 2012 Tennessee hog with that'n didn't ya?

You also wont need a flashlight to get back to camp on an evening hunt with that rifle. grin

Gunner
Good for you, though I'm not sure I'd present that weapon on Western hunt, unless I was female. But back here, in the East, it would probably be popular with girls (anyway). I thin you could get top-dollar for that on Newbury Street, in Boston.
Huh, interesting.

I think the only way I would GAF about what my rifle looked like to others, is if I couldn't hike, shoot, or pack out meat.

Maybe I'm weird though.
Tanner (Dudette):

Yes, until you actually went or happen to go West and met a real person, then no?

Anyway, it doesn't matter.

I've had clients who've shown up with all sorts of things.

But, it's always the girls who brandish items such as the "Blue Beauty".

However, I once had a homosexual client from Out West who arrived with a blue rifle (no kidding).

Anyway .....

Mav
[Linked Image]
Hey Mav, making any headway with the Russian ladies?
Tanner (Dudette):

Yes, until you actually went or happen to go West and met a real person, then no?

Anyway, it doesn't matter.

I've had clients who've shown up with all sorts of things.

But, it's always the girls who brandish items such as the "Blue Beauty".

However, I once had a homosexual client from Out West who arrived with a blue rifle (no kidding).

Anyway .....

Mav
Yeah, always wondered what it was like "out-West".

Laughing my ass off...
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Hey Mav, making any headway with the Russian ladies?

No kidding, huh? This dolt presents himself as some sort of man's man, but in reality he won't even admit he's so hard up for a woman's company that he advertises himself on Russian dating service websites. He ought to just man up and admit it and be done with it, then we could only bash him for being a douchenozzle.
Dam, Mav is spreading the stupid everywhere today.
I could tell you who I'd rather take on a hunt, between a guy with a blue McM stocked stainless rifle, and somebody sporting a camouflaged Bone Collector POS.

It wouldn't be hard to tell who could shoot, and who couldn't....
Originally Posted by bigswede358

Somewhat of an overkill though, wouldn't you say?

Nope, it kills them normal. I've never seen anything be to dead before. I also kill whitetails with a 350 rem mag, 300 WBY, and 358 Norma. Why pick on somebody's cartridge preference, they all work if you make sure of shot placement.
I'd prefer to not escort either, actually. Been there, done that.

But, Tanner Dudette "really takes the cake", so to speak. I mean, college kid? Come on.

I was tagging two mulies on the Uncompahgre and up along The Piceance, long before his parents even knew each other (literally).

Anyway, none of it matters, really.

Youngsters need to start somewhere.
Originally Posted by DMc
the Model 7 seems to have fallen out of favor within the Campfire, but for anyone that's shouldered a McKS Edge stock, I believe their interest would be renewed.

I ordered one of those KS Edge stocks before Christmas based on your pics and glowing reviews. Should be here next week. SS Model Seven action is ready as well as the 25cal PacNor. Maybe, just maybe, I'll have it in time for deer season this fall.
Not a custom, but this 308 760 Carbine is about as perfect as it gets for most WT hunting I've done. It's soon going to be given to my younger brother who will use it with his son. It belonged to our grandfather, so it's position in our family is important.

[Linked Image]

More recently, I've been using this faux TI in 275 Roberts. Factory stock with a King bbl.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

If you ever want to sell that pump-gun, Mr Piper PA-18, I'll pay a pretty good price for the combination, just to acquire the scope that's on top of it. I guess, start at $700.00 (USD) and see what happens?
That rifle would fit perfectly in a SC, scope and all. grin

That scope is an older Vari-X III. Nothing really that special actually. I see them go for about $300 - $350 here in Canada. perfect scope for a carbine.

Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by DMc
the Model 7 seems to have fallen out of favor within the Campfire, but for anyone that's shouldered a McKS Edge stock, I believe their interest would be renewed.

I ordered one of those KS Edge stocks before Christmas based on your pics and glowing reviews. Should be here next week. SS Model Seven action is ready as well as the 25cal PacNor. Maybe, just maybe, I'll have it in time for deer season this fall.

In the words of George Zimmerman, the ex-Men's warehouse guy, not the HERO Zimmerman, I guarantee it!

DMc

[Linked Image]

Hey Dude,

You DO know that your penny is as BIG as our Dollar grin grin whistle

[Linked Image]

Hey Dude,

You DO know that your penny is as BIG as our Dollar grin grin whistle

Laugheeng ..... On another related note, Canada just did away with pennys. NO MORE PENNYS! laugh
Originally Posted by DMc
Originally Posted by DMc

In the words of George Zimmerman, the ex-Men's warehouse guy, not the HERO Zimmerman, I guarantee it!

DMc

My intitial attraction to that stock was the shorter forend that will work well with a shorter bbl. Most stocks are too long to look right with a bbl shorter than 22".
I ordered one of those KS Edge stocks before Christmas based on your pics and glowing reviews.

Bet you wish you were me:

[Linked Image]

Hehe

DMc
Where is that custom kimber montana 300 Savage
I'd prefer to not escort either, actually. Been there, done that.

But, Tanner Dudette "really takes the cake", so to speak. I mean, college kid? Come on.

I was tagging two mulies on the Uncompahgre and up along The Piceance, long before his parents even knew each other (literally).

Anyway, none of it matters, really.

Youngsters need to start somewhere.
I'm sure you've tons of experience scouring the planet for record book animals, but it really doesn't take 30+ years of experience to be able to separate the wheat from the chaff.
Originally Posted by DMc
I ordered one of those KS Edge stocks before Christmas based on your pics and glowing reviews.

Bet you wish you were me:

[Linked Image]

Hehe

DMc

Next week, seven more sleeps. grin

Throw up a pic, or shoot me a PM. I wanna see it.

DMc
DMc,

is that stock for a Model 7 in .35 Rem by chance?
I'm knee deep in 35 Rems. Couple of 7600 Carbines, Rem 600 and I sold my Model 7 35 Rem to Firearms44! The KS stock is waiting in the wings. I can't seem to get excited about any particular caliber. Maybe a 221 Fireball, but I've been mentally building a 5-pound 375 Winchester, by sticking a single shot follower in the Model 7 action. I love thumpers and gully guns for creek bottom thickets!!!

DMc

didn't your mama tell you if you ain't got nothing nice to say, then shut the [bleep] up?

you have got to be the biggest jack off I've every come across here on the 'fire. for your information it's been on several western hunts.

why don't you go [bleep] off and die you [bleep] jack off.
[Linked Image]

257 Roy in an Edge PN barrel. Scary accurate and is my favorite.
pretty
Originally Posted by DMc
I'm knee deep in 35 Rems. Couple of 7600 Carbines, Rem 600 and I sold my Model 7 35 Rem to Firearms44! The KS stock is waiting in the wings. I can't seem to get excited about any particular caliber. Maybe a 221 Fireball, but I've been mentally building a 5-pound 375 Winchester, by sticking a single shot follower in the Model 7 action. I love thumpers and gully guns for creek bottom thickets!!!

DMc

I just got a Remington 7600 in 35 Whelen with an 18" barrel, holy crap Men, that sombuck do give off a shockwave when ya touch her off.

The 200 gr TTSX's are chronoing 2750 fps with H-322 powder, and showing really nice accuracy so far out to 50 yards off sticks with the factory iron sights.

Very handy compact little boomer, cant wait to try it out this fall.

Gunner
I have two...one for close work, tree stands, still hunting and the other for longer ranges and ground blinds...

Remington 700 CDL Stainless Fluted in .257 Weatherby. Will be placed in a B&C stock one day and have a Timney Trigger to replace the less than acceptable stock one. Shoots in the .3 MOA range. Scope is a Shepherd 6-18 and makes hitting out to 600 very easy.

[Linked Image]

#2 is a Remington Custom Shop 7KS in .350 Rem Mag. Wears a 1.75-6 Leupold. Only thing that could make it more perfect is if it was stainless with their black coating like they used to do with the AWR.

[Linked Image]

Bob
I have a few 7600's that I used a bit that I thought were perfect. One was a 257 Roberts and the other was one of the 35Rem carbines in the blued/wood version. Like them both, but I keep coming back to my Ruger M77 Ultralight in 257 Roberts topped off with a Leupy Vari-X II 1-4x20. It isn't to fussy about any the factory ammo I have shot out of it. While I have handled and seriously thought about a Kimber Montana in 257 Roberts, the Ruger has worked well for me and is proven. The 7600's have been lonely in the safe lately.

D
I just got a Remington 7600 in 35 Whelen with an 18" barrel, holy crap Men, that sombuck do give off a shockwave when ya touch her off.
Gunner

35 Whelen in an 18 inch barrel is more rifle than this wussie wants! Don't expect to make new friends at the range! LOL

DMc
No whitetail near me but if I was hunting them exclusively here would be my dream picks...

Stole the pics from Gdub...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Even the damn bear was happy to be shot by such a great rifle! smile

I'd try to get one in 757 but could "settle" for the 708 like Gdubs.

I'd also throw a Leupy 6x36 with dots on mine.

I would also take one of these in 757 with the 6x36...

[Linked Image]
Kimber 84M Classic Select
Douglas SS 257 Roberts finished at 23"
Talley LW's
3x9 Conquest
Nosler 100gr BT or Barnes 80gr TTSX
M98 Mauser action
Douglas stainless barrel probably a #2 contour 20"
7x57mm 140 gr bullet
Serengeti laminated full length stock 20 LPI checkering
Timney trigger
Leupold 4x with a post & duplex reticle
Leupold QRW mount
New England Custom Guns sights
all metal would be cerakoated black
Originally Posted by ingwe
[Linked Image]

LOL !
JohnMoses,

For me, it's several 'perfect' rifles, for the type of whitetail hunting I intend to do-

For open hay fields, where ranges are likely to be long, it's my Weatherby MkV Fibermark, .257 Wby, with 100 gr. Barnes TSX bullets, Talley LW mounts, a Leupold VX-L 3.5-10 x 50 scope for low-light shooting.

For stand hunting, my Ruger #1a, .257 Roberts, 100 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip bullet, Ruger rings and 3-9 Burris scope

For all-around use, close to far, any hunt method, the choice is:
Custom .280, either Nosler AB or Barnes TSX 140 gr. bullets, transition-period M70 action, 22" #2 Pac-Nor bbl, Bansner stock, bedded and free-floated, with Talley LW mounts and Leupold VX3 3.5-8 x 40 CDS scope. Trigger is stock, smoothed-up M70 Win.
I suppose I could build something more exotic, but my Rem 700 Ti in 7-08 is about as perfect as it gets; 120 TSX or 120 Nolser BT never fail to perform.

Or if I want a change of pace, then my Rem 700 MR in a Ti stock in 280 Rem shooting the same bullets is even more of a good thing.

Actually, these are not limited to WT either; I also use them on mule deer & elk as well.

7-08 Ti
[Linked Image]

280 Rem
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Like the shed
Rem 760 on 30-06. Leupold 2-7x. VXll. Sierra 165 game kings.
I have a Browning A-Bolt II Micro Hunter 7-08 with a Luppy 2.5-8 that I like quite a bit. It's pretty nice to carry and shoot. Don't know what else I would need. I know there aren't a whole lot of Browning fans here but this one should last as long as I do.
Bighorn sporter action
Brux fluted #3 8 twist 21" 6.5 creedmoor
Mickey Hunters edge
Shilen trigger
Talley lightweights
VX-3 3.5-10x40 m1 elev or maybe try a VX-6 2-12 even though its kind of large

Although I shot my best whitetail with a bowtec guardian and slick tricks.

Bb
Gradous 260 Rem or 280 AI. Leupold vx6 3-18x50. 260 shooting 125 gr Partition, 280 shooting 140 gr BT's.
Originally Posted by DMc

Throw up a pic, or shoot me a PM. I wanna see it.

DMc

Took longer that was expected as there was another stock ordered and they shipped them together.

I like it!

[Linked Image]

Probably the most comfortable stock you'll ever shoulder.

Congrats!

DMc
Originally Posted by mjbgalt

Oh yeah bro great minds!

Sumpin like this perhaps?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Yugo 48 Intermediate Mauser action
S&K Mounts
Dakota 3- position "M70-style" safety
Custom knob
#3 CM Shilen cut to 21"
Boyd's Classic Nutmeg
Metalife plating, per Grasshopper's recommendation
(Coming soon Leupold M8 6x 42mm w/ #4 reticle thanks to Kenjs1)

She is likely going to South Dakota w/ me and my 10 yo son this November, depending upon how the tag lottery treats us!
lol yeah, something like that.
Whatever the Benoits use.
Right now a Weatherby Mk V Carbine SS in 7mm-08 with B&C Stock and Leupold 2x7. I did pickup a Rem 600 in 7mm-08 with McMillan edge a 21" barrel in 7mm-08 that may take its place. The underlying factor here is short, light and in 7mm-08, perfect for the New England woods.
1899H Savage lever action
.303 Savage, 190 grain flat nosed cast bullet @ 1900fps.
20" barrel, takedown
Windage adjustable tang sight

Like this:

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by ChipM
Right now a Weatherby Mk V Carbine SS in 7mm-08 with B&C Stock and Leupold 2x7. I did pickup a Rem 600 in 7mm-08 with McMillan edge a 21" barrel in 7mm-08 that may take its place. The underlying factor here is short, light and in 7mm-08, perfect for the New England woods.

If you EVER want to sell your Weatherby MK V Carbine let me know!
AMRA
Originally Posted by DMc
Probably the most comfortable stock you'll ever shoulder.

Congrats!

DMc

Yup ..... I think I'm going to like this one. Thanks for turning me onto that stock.
Shoot me a PM when you get it put together or POST HERE ON THE FIRE!

DMc
1. MRC 1999 "Improved M70 short action"
2. 24" Douglas fluted #2
3. 6.5-284 with 120gr Ballistic Tip @ 3300fps
4. custom laminate featherweight mountain rifle stock
5. stock MRC
6. Swarovski Z6 1.7-10x42 #4a
7. Conetrol

All stainless with satin black chrome finish
My perfect whitetail rig is a Left Hand Winchester Model 70 Stainless .270 Win.
McMillan Edge stock
Talley Lightweights
Zeiss Victory 2.5-10x42 #60 Reticle

[Linked Image]
Both are .270s. Winchester 70Classic SM,restocked in a B&C stock, and a Howa 1500, in an Olde English B&C stock. Leupold VariXII 3-9 on the M70, Burris FFII 3-9 on the Howa.

Plain vanilla killers, both of them. Lotsa meat made with these two, and some others.

No need for me to build, although the Winchester needed that stock to shoot well. The Howa came that way, straight out of the box.

Attached picture deer gear 001.JPG
Very interesting thread. I have already posted on my favorite deer gun. I have deer guns that cost multiple thousands. I also have a nice Marlin made Glenfield 30 that i rescued from a pawn shop a couple of years back for $121 and change OTD. In retrospect, I think it would have taken every deer, WT and Mule,,that I have ever killed excep for four long range shots.

I'm on the downhill slope of life and it seems I may have wasted a lot of money chasing the perfect deer rifle. Dad's one and only center fire rifle was a Marlin 336 RC in .30-30. Uncle got along just fine with a Marlin 1936 in that caliber. He ate a lot of venison. Makes one wonder.......jack
Originally Posted by jt402
I also have a nice Marlin made Glenfield 30 that i rescued from a pawn shop a couple of years back for $121 and change OTD. In retrospect, I think it would have taken every deer, WT and Mule,,that I have ever killed excep for four long range shots.

I'm on the downhill slope of life and it seems I may have wasted a lot of money chasing the perfect deer rifle. Dad's one and only center fire rifle was a Marlin 336 RC in .30-30. Uncle got along just fine with a Marlin 1936 in that caliber. He ate a lot of venison. Makes one wonder.......jack

A 30-30 through the lungs is hard for a critter to stand.

30-06:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Jack

I have many rifles and only a couple were bought or traded for with specific game species in mind. One was a 338 win mag for large bear and the other a 375 H&H for cape buffalo. I used a 6.5x55 Swede for years for deer because I had it. It worked just fine for most of my hunting.

I bought an 06 to have a backup rifle in 2009 when I went to Africa. It turns out after rejecting the 06 for 40 years, I actually find it my do everything I am now doing with hunting rifle. The other rifles get worked out every summer at the rrange, but the 06 makes the trip to the deer field.

When I used to hunt the thick bush I used a 30/30 over 20 ga. that was really handy and killed just dandy.
Kimber 84 M Classic 7-08 Leupold 2.5-8 in Tally steel mounts.
added a savage trophy hunter xp package this week. the nikon scope looks to be a pretty decent prostaff model.

.243 is already something i load for. this is the only rifle i have bought that i didn't feel the need to tinker with. going to load for it and go whack coyotes and targets and groundhogs. very surprised how much better finished it is than savage did in the past. the stock is much stiffer and lighter than they used to be.

have an invite to shoot does in michigan this fall. going to perforate them just fine i'm sure.

perfect rig? nah. i still love a nice mauser in .257 bob.
medicman , I also happen to be a believer in the 30-06. They may be more than is needed for deer, but no doubt they work, and for even bigger stuff. I have kept three up until now. They will not be sold but may be gifted to my relatives. One is a custom stocked commercial FN from the fifties, a Grade III BAR, and a custom stocked and engraved 1903. All are beautiful guns and shoot most everything under 1 1/4", some a good bit under. The 30-06 is never a mistake. Jack
Originally Posted by WinModel70
My perfect whitetail rig is a Left Hand Winchester Model 70 Stainless .270 Win.
McMillan Edge stock
Talley Lightweights
Zeiss Victory 2.5-10x42 #60 Reticle

[Linked Image]

Not much you need to do with that rig!
Guess this would be mine, among a few others...

[Linked Image]

Oberndorf Model 98 Mauser, .270 Win (second barrel, first was 7x57 long since shot out), current barrel is a turned down '52 FN, rifle built (and rebuilt) by Al & Roger Biesen.
Here is mine.

[Linked Image]
Crap, wrong pic.
Kimber Select in 257R with Conquest 2.5x8.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by GF1
Guess this would be mine, among a few others...

[Linked Image]

Oberndorf Model 98 Mauser, .270 Win (second barrel, first was 7x57 long since shot out), current barrel is a turned down '52 FN, rifle built (and rebuilt) by Al & Roger Biesen.

I'd be real happy with that rifle AND that buck!
Tikka T3 Lite in .243 with a 2x7 Leupy. I already own it.

Expat
308 Steyr 20" 4-12x40/ 3-9x40 leupy and 165 cup and cores.
Tikka T3 light. 270wsm. 130 gr. nosler accubond.
Originally Posted by Tanner
I could tell you who I'd rather take on a hunt, between a guy with a blue McM stocked stainless rifle, and somebody sporting a camouflaged Bone Collector POS.

It wouldn't be hard to tell who could shoot, and who couldn't....

I don't know about that. I know some guys that CAN shoot and would like the cheesy bone collector rifle. Just saying.

Anyway, I'd go with a custom CZ-550 in 257 Bob, probably have the guys at ER Shaw do the barrel work and the bluing(My Mk. VII is certainly a good shooter). Have Wenig or possibly Macon Gunstocks put it in a nice piece of walnut with an oil finish and top it off with either a Leupold FX-II 4x or a Weaver K4 classic.
Savage 110 with a 260rem barrel, Boyd's Prairie hunter stock, Nitrex 3-9, most any 120-140gr C&C bullet.
Or the model 38 Swede Mauser,trimmed to carbine length, 6.5x55,Herters stock Redfield peep rear with Rem front site, most any 120-140gr C&C.
Originally Posted by scottfromdallas
Here is mine.

[Linked Image]

Way too tan to have a white tail.
Anyone of these.
Montana, LH 308, shilen barrel, serengetti laminated stock.
Model 88 in 338 Fed., Fajen custom stock
Model 99, 358 win, all stock.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

RMR .270Win
Talley Lows
Leupold VXIII 2.5-8x
Montana sling
Stock refinished by Karnis w/ Decelerator Pad

Killed my first whitetail on the gun's first outing! Forever status achieved!
I had a Glenfield 30 in .30-30 with a Bushnell 1.5-4.5X32 that I was very fond of. I also miss an 1896 Krag Carbine with Redfield sights. Pretty much all I ever needed.
Out of the box 700 ss sps in 7-08 that shoots120 gr bt's and ttsx's into little bitty groups at about 3050 fps. It has a zeiss 3-9x40 conquest on it and I want to put it in a mcm mtn in edge fill, but it shoots so good already.
Kimber 8400 Classic
270 WSM with 130 gr Interbond @3360 FPS
Sightron Big Sky 3-9x42

Kimber 84M Montana
.308 with 165 gr Accubond @2750 FPS
Leupy VX2 2-7

Ruger 77 Hawkeye wood/blued
.358 Win with 225 gr Accubond @ 2475 FPS
Zeiss 2.5-8

Win Pre 64 Model 70
264 Win Mag with 130 gr Swift SII @3250 FPS
Sightron Big Sky 3-12x42

Colt Coltsman (Sako)
.243 with 100 gr Part @ 2950 FPS
Minox 3-15x42

Win 70 Winlite
30-06 with 165 gr GMX @ 2900 FPS
Nikon Monarch 3-9x40

.257 Weatherby..."WidowMaker"

Remington 700 action trued
#3 contour stainless 1:10 Rock barrel fluted by Rock (finished at 25")
McMillan Edge Classic BDL
Bolt Ti Fluted
Campfire Bolt Knob
Cerakoted...Matte Black and a mix of Federal Brown,Coyote Tan and OD Stock Cerakoted same color with black webbing
It wears a Leupold VX III 3.5x10 M1 elevation turret
sits in Talleys
Weight scoped 7.38 lbs

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
This

[Linked Image]

Because there is no challenge with rifles and it's a soulless way to pursue deer.
Fine then this
[Linked Image]
I like a challenge.....

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire