Home
I know this has been discussed before but....

Some of you wankers have bought a new truck gun so post a pic or give a good description of your ideal version!
I went and shot a few dogs today, Pops snapped a pic.

The only thing I don't like about this rig is how it's twisted, really can't shoot the heavies. Needs new rings/bases, too.

[Linked Image]

Tanner
IH?

Classy bro!
Originally Posted by Tanner

The only thing I don't like about this rig is how it's twisted, really can't shoot the heavies. Needs new rings/bases, too.

[Linked Image]

Tanner

DSHK ammo is only about six or eight bucks a pop now, if you can find it. I'd settle for a 1919 Browning with a 308 barrel. Like a dumbass, I passed on a chance to buy one about 25yrs ago.
just bought a 30-06 savage 110, looks new for $265. screwing on a 243 barrel, put a 6x scope on i had sitting around.

[Linked Image]

Tanner

"God would have mercy, he won't"
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

[Linked Image]

Tanner

DSHK ammo is only about six or eight bucks a pop now, if you can find it. I'd settle for a 1919 Browning with a 308 barrel. Like a dumbass, I passed on a chance to buy one about 25yrs ago.

Yeah, that's a Ma Deuce.....not a DShK. The barrel is different to disguise it for the movie, but the receiver is clearly that of an M2 Browning.

That's ok, you weren't an 18B.
We used to watch the 11H's blow chit up with those. They let me tear up a few old cars with the Mark 19. I liked that quite a bit.
I use the open site handi rifle in 30-30 .
Pretty pedestrian Sammo�..223 in a Ti stock�

[Linked Image]
ruger UL in 204

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

'57 Model 70, 06
Now we are talking!

Poobs, you need a truck in the pic though damnit......grin

Don, you know I love that dog.

Ben, that is a sweet rifle!
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

[Linked Image]

Tanner

Yeah, that's a Ma Deuce.....not a DShK. The barrel is different to disguise it for the movie, but the receiver is clearly that of an M2 Browning.

That's ok, you weren't an 18B.

Actually I started as an 18B, attention to detail I guess. That is an M2 reciever as you can tell by the rear sight for sure. I worked a gig teaching the M2 this year also.
Is that you in the pic?
My truck gun for this week.

[Linked Image]

"Black Beauty"
SUCKS 700
Classic Edge, unpainted
Lilja #3 8 twist 22"
243 Winchester
105 Berger Hybrids
SWFA 3-9
Leupold DD lows
cerakoted graphite black...I've already managed to scratch the piss out of it, and I've owned it for like 3 weeks.
PG, now that is functional and Classy.

9.5 rating.
I thought the gun `ol Sly was slumming looked like a Ma Deuce with some weird ass barrel. Good catch.

This beater .250-3000 rarely leaves my diesel these days unless it's to take tailgate pics...
[Linked Image]
Classic beater.

[Linked Image]

"Black Beauty"
SUCKS 700
Classic Edge, unpainted
Lilja #3 8 twist 22"
243 Winchester
105 Berger Hybrids
SWFA 3-9
Leupold DD lows
cerakoted graphite black...I've already managed to scratch the piss out of it, and I've owned it for like 3 weeks.

You is one classy sumbitch. That's a slick rig buddy.

Tanner
I been playing with these.
Both bought on the fire.
6.5 Creed I got from P Goat and
a 25-06ai from pullit?

[Linked Image]

P.S. Just saw I was supposed to have them in/on the truck. I am 'shamed.

Re-edit. Just looked faux ackley was from Denial.
SKS

Marlin 30-30

[Linked Image]

How come you montana boys don't use Big Sky Racks?
Because we have dashboards?

grin

[Linked Image]
Sam, I've got about 950 in the rifle and 250 in the scope. I'm pretty happy with it overall.

Anyhow, I would like to try one of those little Montanas someday.
Shrapnel's favorite.. Black and blue plastikka .223, with a FFII on top.
[Linked Image]

My best "drive by" rifle.....bought brand new in 1978.

Sako L579 ,220 AI
S&B straight 10X.

Max likes it too.
Pat, sweet pic and pup!
Originally Posted by huntsman22
[Linked Image]

How come you montana boys don't use Big Sky Racks?

We have one in the feeding pickup. They are pretty handy.
the whore-gnat and UL up top, in my ford....

[Linked Image]

I'm not afraid to support Montanas economy. Unlike 'some' of the montana crowd....grin

Natives just use a tarp strap.....grin

[Linked Image]
That hound spotted a fox at 400-500 yards in the shade right before the pic. Took me a second to find what he was looking at but sure enough a fox working the edge of the field.

Originally Posted by scenarshooter
[Linked Image]

My best "drive by" rifle.....bought brand new in 1978.

Sako L579 ,220 AI
S&B straight 10X.

Max likes it too.

Cool rifle and pup!

Speaking of Airedales, Autumn found this 77/22 to be a usable pillow -

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I'm not afraid to support Montanas economy. Unlike 'some' of the montana crowd....grin

I'm headroom challenged already..
it's a crewcab.The rack is behind where yer head goes. And in front of where backseat passengers heads go.......win/win
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Natives just use a tarp strap.....grin

[Linked Image]

What's the deal with the angus head?
One of my buddies has the Big Sky rack in his side by side and pickup. He loves 'em.
Trying to get chow? The steam make it look so.

Or is it dead?
I chopped its head off with the bale bed arms.
it's a crewcab.The rack is behind where yer head goes. And in front of where backseat passengers heads go.......win/win

They've got em in the cc trucks up at the ranch, and I have some dents in my head from 'em.

[Linked Image]
Easy enough to get dents from the window well if the side window is down. Don't have your head out and hit a bump.

That little round metal thing on the top of a ball cap hurts!

That was a good weekend!
Yeah it was!
Pat and Billy, I hope you have better luck with your airedales than I had. I found out one thing for sure, airedales are both smarter, and more stubborn than I am.
I haven't really had a truck gun since I left the ranch and moved to town. My buddy over south of Rodeo, who owns and operates what passes for the LGS around here, has a Ruger American Compact in .243 that is calling my name. I think that it may be my Christmas present to myself. I think that it could ride on the dashboard just fine and drop in behind the back seat when I have to go to the big city. The .243 thread in the "Ask the Gunwriters" form has me thinking that I may need another one.
living on a farm, i keep an old (1976) scoped ruger 10/22 in my farm truck 24/7. i bring it in once a year for a good cleaning, otherwise it is in the truck.

[Linked Image]

Tanner

Damn Tanner, you keep in good shape for that golf game laugh . Kind of a big gun for squirrels though. Oh wait, this is a "truck gun" thread, carry on..
A Mini 30 and an 870 are in a tractor cab. Generally an M&P 10, a Glock 26, and a 329 are in the Jeep.
Didn't see any beaters above. All nice rifles.

Beater... I like the idea of a Ruger American, 7mm-08. Fixed 6x Super Chicken. It could live in the GMC.

Truck gun... since I don't plan to carry it far, mine is going to be a tank. Stainless Ruger Sporter with a 3-15x Super Chicken. Waiting for 30mm rings and Timney. Not in love with the plywood though.
Originally Posted by wageslave

[Linked Image]

Love the t-shirt. I loved that old bar.
Me too.

I hear Koots has some sort of "Bird House" Bar wing?

What's the deal?
SUCKS 6x47 with a 20" tube and stuffed with 70gr Ballistic tips.

Where are all the MA/PA/NJ truck guns..........laffin

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by 6MMWASP
Pat and Billy, I hope you have better luck with your airedales than I had. I found out one thing for sure, airedales are both smarter, and more stubborn than I am.

Mike,

I'm on my second Airedale. Agreed they can be rather stubborn and independent. As in very.

Probably wouldn't be the dog I would have if I worked in town full time, as they get bored easily and need something constructive to do. If I'm not around that boredom may manifest itself into something destructive; those alligator jaws are capable of dismantling a prize elk shed or a neighbors cat in no time flat!

They are incredibly full of personality, extremely tough, and smart, which makes the Airedale one of the neatest dogs I've been around.

[Linked Image]

Tanner

Good steel in those old IH's - notice none of the bullet holes in the box side penetrated through the inner box?

[Linked Image]

thanks for dat! I used to use the Big Sky single gun rack skooched foreward to right above the windshield to avoid bonkin' my noggin. i'll set my two gun rig like yours when I finish the Suburban interior.
The funny thing is that's almost true. We had a helluva hail storm come through the place this summer. Most of the vehicles took some serious damage. The 71 International 3/4 ton spray pickup looks exactly the same as before.....if one looked really close, in the right light, you could see where the hail stones knocked the dust off. The newer vehicles look like they went through a meteor shower.
Savage 16 Weather Warrior 22-250.

[Linked Image]
Does anybody still have those visor gun racks? It was a fully padded jobber, IIRC you unscrewed your visors and screwed them back onto this outfit. Was one of the best gun racks I've seen, as it was totally out of the way.

Edit: Found one. Ours was a bit different, but the same concept. I need to get one. Though I could go without the camo clad douche nozzle.

[Linked Image]
Remington Model 7 Youth in 260 with the 18 1/2" barrel. Handy as heck and knocks the snot out of coyotes.
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
[Linked Image]

rancho: sierra nevada PA in 12 pack cans is about the greatest thing since sliced bread
PG, I had those Rifle-it shelves in my '75, '77, '80 and '90 benchseat chevys. Talk about headbangers.....
PG, I had those Rifle-it shelves in my '75, '77, '80 and '90 benchseat chevys. Talk about headbangers.....

Ours was in a 70 something Chevy. I thought those were a lot better design for keeping the bumps off one's head than the Big Sky Rack design. Different racks for different heads, I guess. tired
Some of these truck guns would be prized guns for us.
Dad kept a marlin 22 mag bolt. Need magazines for quick loading because MN requires cased & unloaded.

Truck gun now:
In the city: SP101 on the hip CCW
(don't leave guns in vehicles due to potential theft)

When back at the farm: 10/22 and /or Savage 24 223 & 12ga plus whatever I am using for hunting that weekend
Sp101 always
I don't really differentiate between a truck gun and an anything else gun. Every gun I own is a truck guns at various times. They are all hunting guns, they are all varmint guns, they are all informal target guns.

If a rifle is too nice, kicks too hard, is too inaccurate, or is otherwise useless for one of these tasks, it goes down the road.
Hey Hunts...

How did you bolt the brackets up there? I just don't trust self tappers enough for that job...

R.
self tappers.....so far, they seem to be plenty stout. Ain't broke yet...
No Schit?

I would have figured they would have backed off with the truck bouncing, etc.
I'm still going to try and get a bolt in there some how...

Thanks for the info!

R.
Y'all got some decent iron in your trucks. Most of you have wide open spaces that make conventional bolt guns understandable as well. Is a little different here in the swamps.

The occasion arose now and then that a Model 94 rode in the scabbard behind the seat in the C10, but most times it was the 77/44 with a Millett red dot. Ranges trend short here in Florida and odds are about even you'll pull the truck gun around the 7-11 compared to the highway. Shootin' from public roads in Florida is a felony, but in some circumstances shooting people in public places is legal.

I don't double tap.
Hard to beat a 250 dollar mauser sporter.
Back before I had to have crew cab pickups, I always had a Ruger 10/22 in a scabbard behind the seat. I even made a couple of multi-day trips to Mexico with it in there, because I never thought about it until I needed it. Could have been bad!

Down on the ranch, my usual truck gun was a semi-custom 722 in .222 Remington. After .222 brass got so hard to find about 15 years ago, I had it rechambered to .223. Some days, though, I rode with the .25-35 Model 94, just for the hell of it.

Now that I live in "town", I usually have the Bushmaster in the truck when I am just out driving around the countryside.
I use a Remington SPS with a synthetic stock, in .270 Win. It wears a 6x fixed power Leupold scope.
[Linked Image]

Max is a little bigger now.
Max gets much bigger you're going to need a trailer.

Great pic.
Betting you can leave the doors unlocked with the guns inside as long as Max is sitting there, no one will be lifting them.

Does he help out on coyotes?
SS,
My friend had an Airedale named Max. We called him Mad Max the gas axe. He was sumptin too. smile
These were the truck guns today... Sako AII .22-250 and Browning BL-22. The Winchester 37 12 gauge was also present in case of sharptails...grin

[Linked Image]

All of my rifles are truck guns at some point... grin

Pat, glad to see the old Swift still gets good use in. Is Max the Airdale with 3 legs?

Ben
Awesome pics everyone!

Ben, you could start a gumbo garden below the wipers....grin
No kidding! I thought he had a cow with the squirts dance on the hood!
[Linked Image]

Good choice of beer Rancho --- as a Chico, CA resident I respect your choice.
Cracking some celebration ales right now..
Ben, you could start a gumbo garden below the wipers....grin

Originally Posted by ingwe
No kidding! I thought he had a cow with the squirts dance on the hood!

Hey now, I thought it was looking pretty clean for a change... grin That rig hasn't seen pavement for a few months..

You oughta see the mirrors...
ruger american rifle in 30-06. Shoots like wildfire!

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by 4th_point

Beater... I like the idea of a Ruger American, 7mm-08. Fixed 6x Super Chicken. It could live in the GMC.

I had a similar thought process.

.308 American compact with a Weaver k6.

[Linked Image]

I used it to kill a bear, a couple antelope bucks and a big whitetail this year. It's accurate, compact, doesn't weigh hardly anything, and ugly as they get.

The beauty of being a rifle looney is you have the pen-ultimate rifle for every occasion . . . no?

Back window truck gun? . . . everyday?

[Linked Image]
Ive been meaning to pick up a Stevens M200 in 308 and a 358 barrel from midway for the past couple years but havent done it yet.
you mean well.....
thats a sweet old sako. Looks like a new tube on it, what twist are you rockin for that 220 AI
Me too.

What's the deal?

Koots has a repro of the bird, right down to the slanted bar and stupms for stools. It's pretty cool, but as with most things, there's nothing like the original.
If you make it up here again I'll buy ya a beer and you can decide for yourself.
A truck gun requires iron sights.
Check the regs.
not even back up irons.....

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan
Me too.

What's the deal?

Koots has a repro of the bird, right down to the slanted bar and stupms for stools. It's pretty cool, but as with most things, there's nothing like the original.
If you make it up here again I'll buy ya a beer and you can decide for yourself.

Deal.
We could do a complete Spenard Memory Tour. Or Muldoon. grin
The insides of these pickups are way too clean...

Speaking of trucks, it was slick yesterday and I did a total reverse belly flop off the back of the pickup. 4-5' drop straight on the back, luckily there weren't any frozen chits in that spot!
Back is sore and it feels like I did 1000 situps, still light headed which is always strange.
Here's one of the many. BPS Game Gun with a good supply of #4 buck and Hevi Dead Coyote. Except turkey season then its Hevi #6. Deadly on yotes out to 60 yards. Not saying DRT but it makes em real sick.
[Linked Image]
Ps. Don't shoot under 20 yards. Pattern is just a little smaller than a softball.
This one goes everywhere. MK II Gov Target.
[Linked Image]
24" 391, I hate camo, but, this one was CHEAP, as in sub $400 after tax, so, camo it is.

1:8 twist, 24", #4, rock barreled, Win 70 in 22-250 w/75gn A-max's. 6.5-20x40 Leupold w/M-1's and TMR:

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by keystoneben
[Linked Image]

'57 Model 70, 06

All nice rifles but that 50's model 70 is a awesome set up. Great round too.
There are some nice truck guns on this thread!

No coyotes hanging around yet but I did scare the chit out of a couple dogs the other day. They get warning shots for now.

243, not too loud from the cab, about perfect IMO.

[Linked Image]
oooooh...new wrench? nothing like a trip to napa....Toss that console back and give the pooch some room to sprawl.
The wrench is actually a Christmas present. 24"er, it must weigh about as much as that rifle.

Pooch is a leaner, plenty of room where he's at!
That which remains of my pale yellow 1983 Nissan KingCab 4x4 with its wooden flatbed never leaves the ranch and is home to a Marlin XS7 in 243 with a Simmons Whitetail Classic 3.5-10x40 in B-Square Sport Utility rings. Coyotes don't like it when the cross-hair settles, the safety is released, the trigger is squeezed, and an 80 grain Federal projectile is sent down-range.

Jeff
I had one of those gun shelves that mounted via the existing visor holes in a 1987 S-10 Blazer. The visors could be reinstalled in the shelf unit, but weren't very user friendly in their new location, being too close to the driver/passenger.

Jeff
The wrench is actually a Christmas present. 24"er, it must weigh about as much as that rifle.

Pooch is a leaner, plenty of room where he's at!

Well now everyone knows you must be a poor shot out of the window, if your carrying that big adjustable to finish'em.
This old M94 has been knocking around in trucks since 1961...and the finish shows it. But the bore is nice and bright, and with that Williams FP and Firesight, along with Federal Blue Box (170 gr), it'll hold it's own at 100 yards: around 2 inches. That's the best I can do with 53 year old eyes.

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]
Here is my $2 grandson with my #1 truck gun. I bought it off the internet for the action and the 10X dot Leupold. I should have never shot it. 17 Remington that shoots between .5" and .75" for about 150 rounds until it needs to be cleaned.

The guy that had it sanded all of the impressed checkering off and thinned it down, yep he said that.

The barrel is even double stamped but it shoots too well and fills a nitch.

[Linked Image]
Sorry duplicate post
Started life as a thrashed Israeli Mauser with a bulged barrel near the muzzle. Added a receiver sight, choate stock, welded a sporty bolt handle on it and it's just the right size for the truck.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I love seeing the rifle variations and cab pics, very interesting, thanks for the posts!

That is a crazy lookin' rig there Max, right length!

What is the OAL of the rifle?

38 3/4" over all length, 18" barrel.
[Linked Image]

Damned if I can figure how to rotate it, but there's a Ruger 223 in there with the 16" barrel. Loud as hell if you don't get the barrel out the window.
Originally Posted by mpmax
Started life as a thrashed Israeli Mauser with a bulged barrel near the muzzle. Added a receiver sight, choate stock, welded a sporty bolt handle on it and it's just the right size for the truck.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

SWEET! Does the bolt still lock to the rear on the last round?
Nope, ground it down, aids in cycling and dry firing.
Originally Posted by CFVA
[Linked Image]

Damned if I can figure how to rotate it, but there's a Ruger 223 in there with the 16" barrel. Loud as hell if you don't get the barrel out the window.

Hard to have your rifle handy, if you have to dig around for it when needed....grin

I have an 88 model that's almost identical to your rig, right down to the same tape, and bucket and amount of chit you gotta stand on.
did the 88's come with custom feedsack seatcovers, too?
We've got a barrel of feed bags at the rancho.. Seat covers are a great idea!

Wifey is going to love it.
Sammo's wife can retire the towel.....
CFVA, that is a sweet dog!
(there's a rifle in the pic?)

Max, sounds handy!

John and Don, empty mineral bags work great as well, nice thing is you can replace them everyday!
Yep! That dog looks like he's open for business! grin
The feed bags work great, there goes my million dollar idea! If you use mineral bags they'll make the rifle rust, ss or not.

Thanks for the comments on the dog, best pooch I've ever had. She's about 18 months, was abused as a pup and only has one eye. Never seen an animal appreciate a good home so much, or get so pissed when I leave in that truck and don't take her!

Those are limited edition covers. It doesn't cost much more to go first class!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

where's the pale ale?
Working!
Sam,

If your still light-headed it's because you got a concussion in that fall. Lay off the shooting for a week or two.
He used to do concrete. Those guys don't get hurt when they get hit on the head.
Dad, Nash and me went out this morning to do some calling and hoping to mebbe see a lion track. Didn't have any luck. The .22-250 and a pair deuces rode along though.

[Linked Image]

Please pardon those seat covers.. They came with the Jeep.. I need to get some feed sacks... grin

Ben
I see a lot of rifles muzzle down in these pics. How many actually carry their guns like this in their trucks?
Originally Posted by 6MMWASP
I see a lot of rifles muzzle down in these pics. How many actually carry their guns like this in their trucks?

I always carry mine like that, but the barrels are always taped..

Ben
carry mine muzzle up. there is an interesting article over on LRH. guy takes a punch and knocks a chunk out of the crown of his .308 and still shoots sub MOA. Another guy took a carbide bur to the crown and first 1/2" of barrel and still shot surprisingly good groups given the bore and crown looked worse than most dirt roads I have seen in baja.
Muzzle down in the front seat. That way the barrel isn't pointed at someone's face, which tends to happen at some point during the day with muzzle up carry.
Poobs, that dog is awesome.

CFVA, my dad's juvenile heeler pup goes nuts if we leave him in the pickup. Even if we are in sight working nearby. He really just wants to be doing something with the cows all the time.

Absolute cow terrorist!

He pawed my rifle off the dash today, had a brand new owners manual and he almost chewed it up.

And he knows not to be doing that kind of chit, just so full of energy. They ran a few miles today behind the pickup.

Dog rambling.

J Loco, camo chilly grips bro?

Stylin'!

Dakota, I remember everything so it wasn't very bad. Hit the ground(stunned) but still remember seeing my legs right in front of the duals. Luckily my dad was stopped and didn't drive forward. Stupid move on my part, good reminder to slow down and be more careful!

Ben, now that is stylin'! Nice beater there.....grin

As for the muzzle issue, the dash works great in the feed pickup.
Some dashes are not rifle friendly but an '08 Ford works great. '03 not so much. Always taped regardless, always empty chamber, tripped trigger, etc..

The little Kimbers muzzle doesn't even really touch the floor boards. Kinda stays wedged up most of the time.
Agree with muzzle down with passengers, which is rare in my truck, unless its the dog, and she doesnt know any better.

Let's see, truck guns, hummn..........

Maybe not exactly on the same page, but

I drive a ford f-350 pickup

[Linked Image]

I hunt, and due to the nature of my business I encounter both two and four legged varmints.

What's the old story.

I get pulled over by the local constabulary as I don't and never have had a front licnse plate.

In Texas you have to show your CHL along with your driver's license.

After doing so, the officer asks, Mr. Brown, are you armed.

Well, lets see,

I have a big sky rack overhead and have a 45-70 guide gun and 12 gauge defender pump ensconsed therein
[Linked Image]

amt 380 back-up in the console
[Linked Image]

Glock 35 long slide in 40.S&W in fanny pack
[Linked Image]

Ruger LCP, 380, in fanny pack
[Linked Image]

not to mention the kahr 9 under my arm and the 38 Smith airweight snubby around my right ankle.

He takes a step back and asks,

Mr. Brown, what are you afraid of?

I calmly reply,

Not a friggin thing.

Best,

GWB
Geedub, looks like your carrying a full arsenal... grin.

The 88's got a vinyl bench seat so no need for the feed sacks. In the trucks with cloth seats we have a piece of Ag bag stashed underneath for when needed. But if I really cow flop myself I haven't been afraid to drive home in my boxer shorts...grin

As to the barrel question, I usually carry mine behind the seat.

CFVA, my dad's juvenile heeler pup goes nuts if we leave him in the pickup. Even if we are in sight working nearby. He really just wants to be doing something with the cows all the time.

Absolute cow terrorist!

He pawed my rifle off the dash today, had a brand new owners manual and he almost chewed it up.

And he knows not to be doing that kind of chit, just so full of energy. They ran a few miles today behind the pickup.

Dog rambling.

I love heelers, this thread reminds me of how much I miss my last one. She was a hard headed [bleep], but tough as nails. An angus bull rolled her as a pup, after that she hated any black bull with a passion. When I'd dump grain out for the bulls in the pen, she'd go sit in front of the black ones and click her teeth!

Dakota, I remember everything so it wasn't very bad. Hit the ground(stunned) but still remember seeing my legs right in front of the duals. Luckily my dad was stopped and didn't drive forward. Stupid move on my part, good reminder to slow down and be more careful!

[bleep] happens, doesn't it? I'm propped up tonight after having surgery on my foot today, all because of a damned cow.

Absolute cow terrorist!

Dog rambling.

I love heelers, this thread reminds me of how much I miss my last one. She was a hard headed [bleep], but tough as nails. An angus bull rolled her as a pup, after that she hated any black bull with a passion. When I'd dump grain out for the bulls in the pen, she'd go sit in front of the black ones and click her teeth!

[bleep] happens, doesn't it? I'm propped up tonight after having surgery on my foot today, all because of a damned cow.

Damn, I hope you heal up fast!! Get well buddy..
Thanks, man! I appreciate it.

Hoping I can get up and about pretty quick, need to wire the garage up. Finished building it last night and got butchered on today, talk about taking it down to the wire!
G, cowboy Cadillac youse got there. I'd be losing firearms with that many floating around the cab!

CFVA, sucks about your foot. I gotta ask what the ol' cow did?
Not a truck, but dogs and guns. Does it still count?

[Linked Image]
Oh yeah Poobs, that counts!

Sticking with the scary black rifle theme...

Last Winter.

[Linked Image]
Dog is pretty scary too!
Great pic!

CFVA, sucks about your foot. I gotta ask what the ol' cow did?

I had a cow step on my foot and twist around when I was a teenager, crushed a bunch of the inside stuff. That was 20 years or more ago, but the older I get the more it bothers me - specially if I hike a long ways or run much. Doc notched a couple bones and pinned them where they should be, basically a front end alignment.

I just got back in the house from pulling a calf, ever tried to pull a calf on crutches?

Is your red heeler winking or missing an eye? I love heelers, was looking for another when the Catahoula in the picture fell into my lap.

Kimber/Sako and a Model 57...

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by shrapnel

[Linked Image]

Those are too clean to be your rifles... wink
Sam, Why is the tape on the 243? Nice photo.. Dogs make it great..

Will try for some photos... Just got home.. My truck guns vary from season to season, as I suppose many do.. Usually, I have a .44 and .357 in the truck or on my person.. Now, I keep a .270 in the cab and a .22-250IMP... Also an old 870 field gun because pheasant season is still on..
[Linked Image]
Sheena and my Sauer 202

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I love the West! wink

[Linked Image]

Very classy Shrap.. cool

Sam, as always, love that heeler.. Looks like he likes that .270 horse gun... grin
Originally Posted by mtcurman

[Linked Image]

Very classy Shrap.. cool

Sam, as always, love that heeler.. Looks like he likes that .270 horse gun... grin

We are due for a PD shoot. I just acquired 3 more Sakos, 2 in 222 mag and one on a swift. I will be wanting to go as soon as conditions permit. Ranch and deflave are ready...
243 AI

[Linked Image]

First off great pics and way too nice rifles!

Master Blaster, sweet pickup and dog.

Shrapnel, too bad about the pickup, nice rifles though!

WYO, electric tape is used to keep mud and snow from entering the barrel. Protection.

Curman, he loves 270's, smart dog....grin

CFVA, you pulled a calf today? On crutches!

We don't start until mid-March.

Have pulled a dead calf out of a cow this time of year. Out in a field ,next to the pickup, cold, not fun.

Heeler pup was just playing possum. Pretending to sleep, still has both his eyes.
Originally Posted by mtcurman

[Linked Image]

Very classy Shrap.. cool

We are due for a PD shoot. I just acquired 3 more Sakos, 2 in 222 mag and one on a swift. I will be wanting to go as soon as conditions permit. Ranch and deflave are ready...

Excellent.. We can be ready with a few days notice. And you can never have too many Sakos...

I just came past our 'dog town, they're buried under about a foot of snow right now! grin How much snow do you have down there?
We got a bunch the last 2 days, enough I had to plow...
Oh yeah Poobs, that counts!

Sticking with the scary black rifle theme...

Last Winter.

[Linked Image]

I don't know Sam, the dog don't look to skeered of the black rifle.

With WV's screwed up laws my truck gun is usually whatever happens to be on my hip. For years I kept a Marlin 1894 .44 mag in a saddle blanket seat cover or a Ruger Redhawk 44 in a holster tied behind the seat. Now if I stick a rifle in the cab it just depends on my mood and what I got plans to do. It could be any of the rifles I own.

Dave.

CFVA, you pulled a calf today? On crutches!

We don't start until mid-March.

Have pulled a dead calf out of a cow this time of year. Out in a field ,next to the pickup, cold, not fun.

Heeler pup was just playing possum. Pretending to sleep, still has both his eyes.

Cool pup.

Wife hooked up the ropes, (I don't care for chains if I can help it), and we wound up using a cable puller to jerk it loose. 95 lb calf from a heifer, still alive but he spent too long in the birth canal and is pretty stupid. Wife milked her out and tubed him, but I don't figure he'll make it very long.
Dave, my dad rarely shoots a gun but I bet he would get a kick outta your Marlin!

CFVA, good luck with that calf. Heifer okay?

We pulled a giant out of a heifer last Spring. Same deal, around a 100lb calf.
2 AM, took over an hour(hip lock), calf lived for a few minutes and died. Heifer couldn't walk for a few days but she survived.
Yep! That dog looks like he's open for business! grin

I'm guessing that dog owns that truck. If you don't think so, just hop in there and see if you can nudge him out. Great looking dog.
Not a truck, but dogs and guns. Does it still count?

[Linked Image]

That warms my heart, poobah.
Originally Posted by geedubya

Let's see, truck guns, hummn..........

Maybe not exactly on the same page, but

I drive a ford f-350 pickup

[Linked Image]

I hunt, and due to the nature of my business I encounter both two and four legged varmints.

What's the old story.

I get pulled over by the local constabulary as I don't and never have had a front licnse plate.

In Texas you have to show your CHL along with your driver's license.

After doing so, the officer asks, Mr. Brown, are you armed.

Well, lets see,

I have a big sky rack overhead and have a 45-70 guide gun and 12 gauge defender pump ensconsed therein
[Linked Image]

amt 380 back-up in the console
[Linked Image]

Glock 35 long slide in 40.S&W in fanny pack
[Linked Image]

Ruger LCP, 380, in fanny pack
[Linked Image]

not to mention the kahr 9 under my arm and the 38 Smith airweight snubby around my right ankle.

He takes a step back and asks,

Mr. Brown, what are you afraid of?

I calmly reply,

Not a friggin thing.

Best,

GWB
grin

We may be kin.
Mine is a ranch rifle in 6.8 spc. It bought it as a truck gun when I'm doing work on my land. I usually hunt with other rifles during the season but it's always there for a back up as well.

[Linked Image]
Dave, my dad rarely shoots a gun but I bet he would get a kick outta your Marlin!

CFVA, good luck with that calf. Heifer okay?

We pulled a giant out of a heifer last Spring. Same deal, around a 100lb calf.
2 AM, took over an hour(hip lock), calf lived for a few minutes and died. Heifer couldn't walk for a few days but she survived.

Heifer's fine, she handled everything well. Calf is coyote bait, wife tossed him on a brush pile 150 yards from the back porch this morning. At least it'll keep me entertained while I'm stuck in the house.

Your heifer breed back on time? I usually sell heifers that lose their first calf, but this one's got an excellent attitude and I'm thinking about giving her another chance.
I'll have to look through my calving 'notes' and see what her number is. She was a nice little cow so we did keep her and ran her this Summer.

Not her fault the calf died so like you say sometimes a good decision to give 'em a second chance.
Truck guns for this mth.. .270 in the rack, .22-250 IMP and 870 12 ga. field on the seat, Smith's .357 and .44.. Kate is getting ready to drive!!

[Linked Image]

That's an interesting gun rack? How'd you rig it up?
That is neat, some serious firepower as well!
That rack looks handy.. You're ready for anything and everything when you're in that truck.. grin
Another, what rack is that?
The rack was made from and old rack I had for a 78 Chev. 3/4 ton.. This one hung over the back seat so I could carry three extra guns behind the seat as well as the rack in the window.. When I went to the smaller pickup, I took one of the rack and jammed it into the dash of the little truck and used the steering column for the other support.. Works fine.. Easy to get the rifle into action..
Rgr, excellent work and I'm sure it's going to get highly copied.
The triple deuce was the truck gun today....

[Linked Image]
I have lived a full life and have few regrets. I can't help but wonder if living with a rifle and a dog in the front seat might be real perfection. Then I imagine CFVA's dues and wonder if I could cut it. I have rarely wondered if I could "cut" anything. You guys are living the real western life. Keep the rifle and dog pics coming.

Thanks mike r.
My Rimfire truck gun is a SS 10-22 with a receiver sight with a fiber optic front, old eyes. Center fire changes from time to time, but mostly a Rossi SS 92 in 45 Colt, plus always have a handgun with me.
Originally Posted by lvmiker
I have lived a full life and have few regrets. I can't help but wonder if living with a rifle and a dog in the front seat might be real perfection. Then I imagine CFVA's dues and wonder if I could cut it. I have rarely wondered if I could "cut" anything. You guys are living the real western life. Keep the rifle and dog pics coming.

Thanks mike r.

Long live dogs and pick ups.
I have lived a full life and have few regrets. I can't help but wonder if living with a rifle and a dog in the front seat might be real perfection.

It is�.

[Linked Image]

and if she will hunt�.

[Linked Image]

and fish with you�

[Linked Image]

life just doesn't get any better...
Great pics Poobs.

Ingwe Dog still rules.
Yep.

Damn, I miss her.
Yep, something about good dogs

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Ok I'll play, not much of a photographer though.

Pup is getting old, but still gets the groundhogs the guy with the truck gun doesn't see.

tractor gun
truck gun
the truck gun at work
[Linked Image]
Thanks guys, great pics.

mike r.
Savage 110 30-'06,180NPT's,Burris 3-9X in Millett's...the usual.

[Linked Image]

Boxer,

You simply don't know your shooting irons. That's a Remington rifle and Leupold scope.

I hope Santa brings you a butt out tool so you can get your head out of your ass!

Next thing you're going to call that Toyota a [bleep] Chevy.

EVAH!

Travis
That is no savage 110.
Might not be, but you can bet it's loaded with 180 NPs!!!
And no beater truck
Originally Posted by Boxer

[Linked Image]

tactical vest on or off?
I like my rifles like I like my fun. Clean and proper.
[Linked Image]

Iceman
Originally Posted by cutNshoot
And no beater truck

Truck guns are usually handled pretty well.

Trunk guns on the other hand...

[Linked Image]
Iceman

travis: torpedo ipa is the teats. im still feeling the one(s) i drank last night, but it was worth it
Originally Posted by n8dawg6
travis: torpedo ipa is the teats. im still feeling the one(s) i drank last night, but it was worth it

Just drink 12 more. You'll feel better.

Travis
[Linked Image]
25 wssm browning That's it today
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by n8dawg6

Just drink 12 more. You'll feel better.

Travis

I like how you think.
Originally Posted by Boxer

[Linked Image]

ROR
Figure this recent purchase may be my next truck gun. Don't think I'll cry about it if it gets banged around a little! 7Mag
[Linked Image]

Of course I always have my "car gun" laugh Model 7 in 260
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Where do the flea-bitten critters ride ?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You didn't waste those with the hair dryer, did you? grin
Originally Posted by ruger438

Pup is getting old, but still gets the groundhogs the guy with the truck gun doesn't see.

tractor gun
truck gun

Is that a McCormick tractor? If so, which model and how do you like it?
Originally Posted by Gadfly

[Linked Image]

Good eye!

That does raise an interesting question, doesn't it?

Huntsman22 - you care to enlighten us or are we to draw our own conclusions about your haircare products????
Just got 6 Torpedo IPA's.. Good stuff, but hard to get here....I have to go careful with them..
While we were visiting other areas, we tried some of the local brews:

[Linked Image]
we've got torpedo IPA in MS like its going out of style. you can't spit without hitting a sierra nevada pale ale or torpedo. the pale ale was one of my favorites until the torpedo came along. it is mo' betta.

harpoon is good stuff too. yuengling is good "cheap" beer, I'd take it any day over bud/miller/kers. however, due to distributor posturing, it is not sold in MS. you have to illegally obtain the contraband over the border in AL and smuggle it in.
Don't have a pic of it in the truck, but this is what I would have to call my truck gun (it's the most beat up gun I have). Swedish Mouser of 1899 vintage properly "bubba'd" - stock work appears to have been done with a hatchet (not by me) crazy

[Linked Image]

Here's an old truck to go with it, and yes the old Swede does spend some time in the cab...

[Linked Image]
CFVA, I'm a bald guy. The only hair-care products I use, is a towel......

The blow dryer is strictly a fur-care item. After washing a pelt, it gets the fluff 'n dry routine......
Originally Posted by JGray

[Linked Image]

that truck is nice!
'74 ?
looks like a '72
Originally Posted by ruger438

tractor gun
truck gun

Is that a McCormick tractor? If so, which model and how do you like it?

No, its a CaseIH MX135, but I do like it.
Originally Posted by toad
looks like a '72

Yep...
7MM-08AI

[Linked Image]
Ridgeline your steering wheel is on the wrong side. Had a hard time getting used to that in South Africa.
Nice looking rifle
Originally Posted by ridgeline
7MM-08AI

[Linked Image]

Your steering-wheel-on-the-wrong-side-trickery does not distract me from noticing you purchased the right stock.

Travis
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by cutNshoot
And no beater truck

Truck guns are usually handled pretty well.

Trunk guns on the other hand...

[Linked Image]
Iceman

This is not a set up picture. I saw this very scene when Travis showed up for a gopher shoot last spring. He may be a slob, but he can recognize quality when he sees it. I had a hard time keeping my Sakos out of his reach.

Later he did move up the class ladder a rung or two and has added 3 Sakos to his pile. It is still a little early for me to trust him with mine. He was trying to get into my locked topper when we went up there this fall, he told me he was looking for his club soda...
Cool Pics keep them coming! Aint smart enough to upload or i would try it.
Has to be a staged photo. No hairdryer.

Dave.
CFVA, I'm a bald guy. The only hair-care products I use, is a towel......

The blow dryer is strictly a fur-care item. After washing a pelt, it gets the fluff 'n dry routine......

Likely story! After seeing the pic where the heeler pup has you in a headlock, you've got about as much use for a blowdryer as I do! Last time I used one was to warm up a calf in the basement a few weeks back, my pup was so jealous there was another "baby" in the house that she laid beside it and literally cried - funny as hell!
ruger438 - Nice tractor. Wife's father has a McCormick 110 somethingoranother and it's got the exact same shifter knob/slider. Funny.
Originally Posted by ridgeline
7MM-08AI

[Linked Image]

Nice Hilux! If Toyota sold them stateside, there'd be one in my driveway! The rifle is nice too laugh
Originally Posted by Gadfly

[Linked Image]

Is that a ford pinto with a roof rack?
yessir, a '72. hella good hunting rig......grin
Just when you think you seen it all............good stuff, Hunts.
Great pics from all.

Keep 'em coming!

Years ago we only had an International Travelall. We shot two elk, dragged them down the mountain whole and winched them diagonally into the Travelall with a come-along. Of course we drove around West Yellowstone with them hanging out until they spoiled...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Here's my setup on my morning wolf expeditions. .308 American compact is for wolves, single six for grouse.
Keeping with the dog/truck theme:

[Linked Image]

Keepin' it cool:

[Linked Image]

Hasn't left my side since I've been home from the hospital, it's a dog's life:

[Linked Image]

This one's for Huntsman, I need a hair dryer as much as you do! And as an aside, don't ever get in a head butting contest with a cow:

[Linked Image]
What did the cow look like after that fight? smile
Originally Posted by Coyotejunki
What did the cow look like after that fight? smile

A lot better than I did!
Thanks CFVA, I was never afraid of cows before, that is a little too western. Now I know the real reason for a truck gun is not just recreational.

mike r

I ran the piss outta a 73 or 74 about 30 yrs ago. That pos was unstoppable in the snow! Only car i ever owned that that dug in more when you pushed the skinny pedal in the snow. [bleep] car i ever picked chic's up with too.... That sounds like a post of it's own.
I'll play, if I can get the image to post. Ruger 16 inch "Patrol Rifle" (basically a stainless mini 14 with 16" barrel and FS, 1x3 scope, and Lucid Snap Rack. I also have a nice DuHa under seat rack that will store 4 rifles under the rear seats of the truck.

[Linked Image]

Think of the tall cotton you'da been in W/an AMC Eagle.
Thanks CFVA, I was never afraid of cows before, that is a little too western. Now I know the real reason for a truck gun is not just recreational.

mike r

They're nothing to be afraid of, every time I've been hurt by one it's been my own fault.

The only time I take my rifle out of the truck is when we pen/vaccinate cattle, so my temper won't get the better of me and whack one. I've caught myself walking to the house a few times to get a gun, but that walk gives me enough time to cool off and realize how much money I'd be losing if I shot the bitch rather than sold it.
CFVA's revenge.......click it

[Linked Image]

If he wasn't worth 1.30 lb right now ,there's a Black whiteface in the barn right now I would get some satisfaction doing that.

He really tucked them legs in quick now, didn't he?
Hope the heeler got some of the scraps, he looks malnourished!

Neighbor had a bull that kept getting in with my cows a few years back, and the owner wouldn't take any responsibility for him - plus he was a smartass. Ever seen an 1800lb bull clamped? Funny thing, the bull never came back after that...

Years ago we only had an International Travelall. We shot two elk, dragged them down the mountain whole and winched them diagonally into the Travelall with a come-along. Of course we drove around West Yellowstone with them hanging out until they spoiled...

[Linked Image]

Corn binder travelall.. Still one of the coolest rigs ever.
I can't believe there was a time shrap didn't have facial hair. It's a Christmas miracle!

Travis
Cost cutter rifles come to mind for a truck gun, the ruger American would probably be the one for me.
you think Shrapnel would skimp on a truck gun?

mike r

They're nothing to be afraid of, every time I've been hurt by one it's been my own fault.

The only time I take my rifle out of the truck is when we pen/vaccinate cattle, so my temper won't get the better of me and whack one. I've caught myself walking to the house a few times to get a gun, but that walk gives me enough time to cool off and realize how much money I'd be losing if I shot the bitch rather than sold it.

Cull pen and a trip to town.

Damn, you took one to the noggin!

That dog is sweet, great pics.

Sam;
Hopefully you folks had a good Christmas and all things in your lives are where you'd hoped they'd be.

Thanks for this interesting thread Sam and thanks too to the members who've shared their everyday tools. It's makes for interesting viewing and reading to be sure.

We're lucky here in BC in that if we chose to chase bears in spring from April 01- June 15 and then bears again starting Sept. 01 until whitetails are done on Nov. 30th, then one can pack a hunting rifle for almost half the year.

That said, if we're camping and not crossing the medicine line to do so, cutting firewood or just out scouting there's going to be a heater in the pickup somewhere.

Usually it's going to be a .30-30 and/or a 12 gauge pump. The old standard pickup rifle was a much modified '77 made 94 with a Lyman tang sight. This spring I picked up a 336, again interestingly made in '77 and it will be the new standard truck gun - mainly because of the 2.5X Leupold works better for my 51 year old eyes. wink
[Linked Image]

The shotgun by the way is a Lakefield Mossberg 500AB which was made in Canada in the late '60's and into the '70's I believe. I bought it used in '74 if memory serves.

Most often they don't ride that way though, typically they'll be tucked into a saddle scabbard that rides across the transmission hump.
[Linked Image]

Anyway that's the way I've ended up packing the tools that go along just because.

All the best to you and your family in 2014 again Sam.

Dwayne
Hi Dwayne, Merry Christmas to you guys as well!

Things are fine here. Really warmed up nice the last couple days.

Read in the paper today that on Monday morning we had the coldest recorded temp for North America for the day.

This afternoon I was shedding clothes like crazy while we vaccinated yearlings. -34 ambient to +37F, felt like Summer....

grin

Back to the truck subject, looks like you have a nice selection!

My dad's heeler is getting pretty cocky lately, teenagers....

Student driver footage from this morning.

[Linked Image]

And this little feature has saved a lot of walking back to the farm to get another set of keys.
Damn dogs lock me out at least twice a week if not more. Whoever designs the power window and door locks obviously doesn't have dogs...

[Linked Image]

Here's to a great 2014!
Sam;
Thanks for the reply and the photos of the dogs in your feeding truck.

It very much reminds me of the story I sent your way awhile back.

So does the Heeler always get to drive and the other one get stuck in permanent shotgun? laugh

All the best to you folks again in 2014 Sam - I look forward to your farm, ranch and prairie photos.

Dwayne
spare key is always in the wallet. no fancy pushbutton things here.....
Dwayne, the pot lickin' Rez hound always rides shotgun....grin

Don, that is a better way for sure. Our cowboy buddy(who gave my dad the heeler pup..) keeps a key hidden on his ranch pickup.

I used to do that just for hunting purposes. Really sucks to get back to the pickup and not have a damn key!

And besides, one of these days that button lock deal is gonna quit working.
Spare key on your person might be a good idea Sammo, especially if you are feeding alone and the dog locks you out of a truck idling along in first�..

Dont axe me how I know�... whistle
Fuggin' Ford power locks, windows and dogs! Those switches are right on top of the arm rest to get trampled by muddy paws.

I've had the little dog roll the window up on the big dogs head. I think he did it on purpose.
Poobs, that would be be "Oh chit!"
You already know this...
#1 rule when feeding by yourself is always keep the window down so you can reach in and steer once in awhile.

Auto's suck if there is any snow or soft ground, they just sit and don't move. They are all auto's now so it sucks for that, otherwise I love the auto.

Hard packed snow and 4 low works great for caking a small herd where you don't get mobbed. Bale bed otherwise and that is way easier than little squares!

Round bales are so much easier.

MadMooner, the engineers of all these vehicles never take it into consideration.

Funny you mention the dogs head in the window. Same chit here, by accident... Damn dogs love to stick their head out the window.

If the window is down the heeler jumps out all the time if I walk off.
Sam;
I learned the hard way - in the yard luckily - that sometimes these stupid auto locks will "auto lock" when they're not asked to do so.

A key on one's person is a must - either that or roll the window down as you say.

A buddy of mine related how a couple of his friends were out spotting for sheep locally in a new pickup - Ford or Dodge can't recall which.

Anyway they get out to glass a couple rams, pickup idling and of course the truck locks itself...... they had cell phones and were miraculously in cell range!

The phones were safely locked in the truck however.... cry

So after a bit of a hike back to a logging road, a trip into town and a few hours later - they were back in business.

Our eldest drives an '87 Cherokee that is manual everything and we can actually work on it.

Besides being able to actually find the spark plugs and such on it, we've discovered that there is definitely something endearing about a vehicle that doesn't desire to lock us out at the slightest provocation Sam. wink

Great topic again Sam and thanks all for the smiles this evening.

Dwayne

PS;
I'm thinking it's no accident the Heeler always gets to drive. Kinda like the one cat who always sleeps on my good wife's side of the bed and on her clothes - it's a power thing and they know it! laugh
Always leave the vent windows unlatched! Of course I'm too cheap to buy anything new enough that it doesn't have vents!
You guys have some clean rigs. My little tracker has more crap in it then 6 of your guy's full sized trucks. Guy flagged us down today and he had ride on the hitch hauler with a buck I shot back to his stuck car so I could pull him out. Little 4 banger pulled him right out!

Originally Posted by BC30cal

Besides being able to actually find the spark plugs and such on it, we've discovered that there is definitely something endearing about a vehicle that doesn't desire to lock us out at the slightest provocation Sam.

I hear you Dwayne, we don't even try and work on the diesels. Change the oil and that is about it.

We had my wife's 'new' car for about 4 months before I even bothered to pop the hood, can't even see the engine beneath all the crap!

CFVA, vent windows? What the hell are those?

grin

WTH, you made him ride on the hitch carrier? On a deer?

TFF!

That would make a great pic!

Sammo, I didn't learn the round bale thing till late in life�but I vividly remember feeding one for the first time.

Pard and I parked on a slant, cut the strings and gave it a kick, then looked at each other like we had just discovered loose women and whiskey!!!!!! laugh
Poobs, hills work great if you don't have a bale bed!

3 years ago the bale pickup broke down and was outta commission for almost 2 weeks. No hills on the river bottom either.

It sucks trying to roll out 12-15 bales a day with the front wheel of a tractor, that and a lot of pushing by hand.

I talked my dad into buying another(spare) bale pickup 2 years ago.

You guessed it, they both broke down!

Luckily the dealership had a trade in they let us use while ours were in the shop.

I don't miss little squares, nice to load up 2000-3000 lbs in about 45 seconds!
I don't miss little squares either! Not a fan of flaking off big squares, but they can be loaded with a front end loader, and so are better than the little ones, but not as good as the round ones! grin

Every time I flaked off big squares of alfalfa hay I would get a mid-winter dose of hay fever! cry Benadryl time!
Allegra and Ventolin are good stuff also.

Alfalfa used to really bother me, not as bad as wheat though. Instant asthma attack from that chit!

Shoveling out the bottom of a bin is the absolute worst job.

Poobs, hills work great if you don't have a bale bed!

3 years ago the bale pickup broke down and was outta commission for almost 2 weeks. No hills on the river bottom either.

It sucks trying to roll out 12-15 bales a day with the front wheel of a tractor, that and a lot of pushing by hand.

I talked my dad into buying another(spare) bale pickup 2 years ago.

You guessed it, they both broke down!

Luckily the dealership had a trade in they let us use while ours were in the shop.

I don't miss little squares, nice to load up 2000-3000 lbs in about 45 seconds!

Sam whats wrong with pushing the bales for unrolling with your loader bucket ?

but when it comes to pushing them with the front wheel.....you need a 7045 Allis.....tire is just the right size.....grin
Sammo, I didn't learn the round bale thing till late in life…but I vividly remember feeding one for the first time.

I hear that Obamacare is going to outlaw the use of round rolls, because even cows deserve a square meal each day!
spare key is always in the wallet. no fancy pushbutton things here.....

I always gave my hunting buddy a spare keys to the truck and camper to carry. Years later I learned he was leaving them in the camper. He is diabetic and I considered the spare keys to be a potentially life-saving pieces of equipment. (Still do, for that matter, his or mine.) After a stern talking to and grumbling on his part (which I never understood), he started carrying the keys.

Couple years later I drop him off to chase elk on foot while I drive about a mile south and park. I spot a string of ~80 elk, put a stalk on them and shoot a nice 6x6. Hunting buddy shows up and head back to the truck, a mile away, to get his pack so he can help with the gutting and hauling. Some time later he returns empty-handed. Seems his pack is locked in the truck and his keys are in his pack.

Of course this is the same guy that would sit in the passenger seat and ask me if I was going to get the gate.

City kid.
truck gun for the day remington 600 in 6mm
[Linked Image]
yesterday afternoon out looking for some jackhoppers
[Linked Image]
Had a truck peestol yesterday...grin

Trapline gun.. It mainly rides in a holster/belt slung over the seat.. Pretty handy really.

[Linked Image]

Sam, how come the .243 Montucky doesn't have the redneck palm swell yet? grin
My blue handled Kleins go everywhere with me, too.....
Originally Posted by sdgunslinger

but when it comes to pushing them with the front wheel.....you need a 7045 Allis.....tire is just the right size.....grin

SD, that works with a nice round tight core bale but slighty egged shaped loose core bales won't roll nearly as easily. They pinch into the ground or just slide.

Pliers in the door, fence stretcher behind the seat.

We had a few cows out last week. My little four legged buddy takes care of that problem!
Originally Posted by sdgunslinger

SD, that works with a nice round tight core bale but slighty egged shaped loose core bales won't roll nearly as easily. They pinch into the ground or just slide.

well the saggy bales are more work , I grant ya , but if you flip them a few times with the bucket tilt , they will get started usually have as many poor bales as perfect myself....
I'll be glad when all of this holiday crap is said and done. The in(out?)-laws came over and brought my pooch a snazzy pink collar and bow - how gay is that? Who ever heard of a farm dog with a collar? It was gone 5 minutes after they left.

The holidays can be rough on a girl:

[Linked Image]
Finally got out after two weeks of weekend duty and call. Went to check zero on a rifle for a hunt tomorrow and switched to the ol' LTR after it stacked 165 Trophy Tactical Bondeds into a bit over .25.

The other rifle is in the backseat while the LTR, Beretta Xtrema2 for crow attacks and the Gen2 G19 (NYPD Blue era)for incidentals got front-seat privileges.

My Jack Russell died at 13 a couple years back and don't think I can replace her easily.

Those Kliens and the baby Vice-grips are essentials...

CFVA, that dog doesn't look like the pink collar sort.. grin
© 24hourcampfire