Home
For what, where and how you hunt what's your favorite cartridge?
As I get a bit older and having had quite a few guns in most common chambering's most are much the same to me and equally suitable for my hunting. I would probably say 257 Roberts though my favorite rifle is my 270 Mtn rifle.
270 Win. for whitetail buck in PA and NY.
I have a lot of guns Tailored for just 1 task but never go big game hunting without a 30-06. There just isn't much it won't do....
Most of my time down here is spent beanfield hunting for whitetails. Haven't found anything yet that I like better than my 257WBY. Rarely have I ever had one take a step after the shot.
I have had 30-30s, 7Mags, a couple 30-06s, a three 6.5 Swedes, a couple 45-70s, a 303 Brit, a 243 Win, a 405 Winchester. And of course a small passle of 22LR. Oh, and a 300 Win Mag. At one time or another, most of them have been my favourite, with the possible exception of the 30-30 Win 94. It was a post 64 piece of junk.

Ljungman M42B in 6.5 Swede was pretty interesting.

Perhaps the one I have shot more game with than any other is the one that gets the nod as all time favourite. Tikka M65 in 30-06. Certainly not the prettiest, but arguably one of the most accurate, and in 30-06, very versatile. Coming in a close second is the Tikka T3 in 6.5 Swede. Scary accurate and a gem to shoot.
30-06

For whitetail, mule deer, antelope, and elk so far. In the South, Midwest, and the Rockies. I've not been to Alaska or Africa yet. I have not killed a moose, goat, sheep, or bear with it, but I hope to get to those sooner rather than later!
That I own/owned - 300 WM

That I don't own but will - 7x57 Mauser, 257 Bob

Someday I'll do a 6.5 Swede too.
In Order:

.280 Ackley Improved
6MM
.300 Winchester
.340 Weatherby
Can't have just one...but...

for general big game up to elk & moose...pic # 1

Tikka 6.5x55 with Vortex HS-LR 4-16 with towers calibrated to 600 yds

[Linked Image]

Truck gun....coyotes....stray cats......pic #2...

Savage Predator 223 with 22" med heavy tube...factory camo dip

Nikon 4-16 Monarch with towers calibrated out to 600 yds

[Linked Image]
270 Winchester for everything I hunt.
If I were only hunting deer, and didn't have to think about having enough gun for a chance encounter with a griz, it would be a 25.06.

Like my 300 WM a lot.

But if there's a next rifle, it will be a light weight .270 WSM.
.270 I guess, but I sure like my 300H&H and 280 AI, then there's the others I have that call to me as well.
No matter what else revolves around through the safe, a 30-06 is always there.
30/06 with the 260 and 243 not far behind
Owning 243,30-30,308,30-06 & 35rem. and only hunting whitetail for 36 years in the NE and the last 2 in the SE I gotta say I've been impressed with the 243. I just sold my 700 in 243 but I'm thinking of getting a compact rifle in 243.
257 Wby.
7mm08
Just one! .300 Weatherby for all purpose.

Next in line are 22-250 and 7mm-08.
Without a doubt, 222 Remington magnum. There isn't a single big game cartridge you could shoot all day long and then do it again the next day like you can with the 222 Remington magnum, that is why I have 4 of them...
22-250 with a 1-8" twist barrel does everything I do 9 times out of 10.

Travis
.45-70 Govt.
All Montana game / 308 Win
.30-'06. Started with one, went through the gamut, and returning to it.
30-06 followed very closely by the .270
Originally Posted by 1tnhunter

7-08 stillhunting deer in the North East.
I have three 6.5's all with different boilers.Its hard to pick one favorite but my new CZ Swede is a perfect fit for my most present and future needs.

So far there are 26 wrong answers...
243 Winchester
300 sav or 7-08
6.5 SAUM
22 LR, followed closely by the 223 and 223 AI.

8X57MM, Western Washington.
My favorite rifle is my .358 bolt action for hunting whitetails in Missouri. I used several different calibers for my deer hunting, but like the .358 the best.
.300 WSM for elk
7mm-08 for whitetails
Gonna' try a 240 PSP for antelope this fall.

donsm70
Big game .300 win.
coyotes .22-250
small varmints .223
Apparently the right answer is .222 Remington Magnum. Unfortunately I failed this test. I put down ".260 Remington" and double down on it...followed closely by .243 Win, which might be re-barreled to my original wrong answer.
The tally is now over 30 wrong answers and one that could be entered into the right column with a little modification...
The 30-06 has always been my favorite, even though it is downright "boring".
Another wrong answer...
Yours was too..
It is only funny when I post it...
6.5x55 for elk,deer, and antelope

98% of my hunting is for north central missouri white tails
For big game anything from .257 Wby-.375 H&H.

For varmints and such anything from .222 Rem-.240 Wby.

Do believe that covers all the firearms in my gun safe.
1. .30-30

2. .30-.06

3. .270 WSM

4..22-250 - don't hunt with it but love to shoot it
+1 on the 8x57, still my favorite cartridge...however my favorite rifle is a .270 and that is what gets the most use.
280 Ackley
Jack,Elmer,Jack,Elmer...

270 Win.

338 Win. Mag.

Gotta have 2

44 magnum
I could and most likely will hunt deer and elk the rest of my life with the same 340 wby, or 375 H&H , I've used for decades, on most hunts, with zero issues, but I doubt the result would change if I grabbed a 450 marlin, 358 win or 270 win. or 25/06 as I headed out the door, its not the rifles, or caliber as much as the skill and experience of the guy using it that counts.
Eastern Whitetails

Elk high in the Rockies

Soon to S. Africa for Plains game (Kudu, Gemsbok, Impala, Springbok, Zebra, Black Wildebeest, Waterbuck, Blesbok, Nyala)

Don't really ever see shooting beyond 500, probably never over 400 at anything. Certainly not where I hunt now.

338 Federal.

Originally Posted by prm
Eastern Whitetails

Elk high in the Rockies

Soon to S. Africa for Plains game (Kudu, Gemsbok, Impala, Springbok, Zebra, Black Wildebeest, Waterbuck, Blesbok, Nyala)

Don't really ever see shooting beyond 500, probably never over 400 at anything. Certainly not where I hunt now.

338 Federal.

Oooooh, good pick. Like that one too!
350 Rem Mag followed closely by the 300 Weatherby. Although there are 3 30-06's in the safe. Oh, besides the 300 and my 6mm everything else has a 20" barrel.

1. 270 Win for Deer

2. 300 WM Larger game (elk is possible)

3. 6mm Rem small game/varmints. Don't have many varmint opportunities.
300 Savage. If I need to go big, then it's a 444 Marlin or 358 Winchester.
"what is your favorite cartridge?"

Yes.
For Alaska the 358 Norma Magnum!
Favorite is my .257 Roberts, which has accounted for a lot of p-dogs and 'yotes and a few antelope. I load 120g A-Frames when hunting elk and deer with it but have not carried it at the right time.

My 7mm RM has taken the most large game - antelope, deer and (mostly) elk.

Four .30-06 rifles in the safe. The Ruger American Dad gave me is going elk hunting this fall.
The who, what, where, and why:

Whitetails & Coyotes

Over open fields = Mdl 7 in 6mm Remington and/or a 250 Savage.

Ground blind or stand hunting to 150 yards (WT) = Mdl 7 300 Savage

Trail hunting/hiking through the woods (WT) = Mdl 7 35 Remington

Ladder blind in the thickets (WT & Hogs) = T/C Contender Super 16 44 Mag.

Skunks, opossum, raccoons, armadillo, etc. = T/C 221 and/or Mdl 7 17FB

Squirrel, frogs, turtles = Ruger Skeleton 10/22 and/or Browning TD-22 Shorts only.

DMc

.30-06 is my favorite. Not in the least bit boring. wink It can pretty much be adapted to do just about anything and handle it competently. cool
For the hunting I do my favorite is the .30/06.

Simply for shooting, my favorite is the .222 (I don't have a .222 mag so I suppose I have the wrong answer here). smile

I need to gain some additional experience with it, but the .257 Roberts is quickly becoming a favorite as well.
I used to always grab the '06 for anything over 50lb's, as I've grown older the .260 calls to me the most for deer. For smaller animals and just for the fun of shooting the 223 is unbeatable. Some of ya'll about have me talked into loading some tsx's or such in it and trying it on deer. Just plinking when the range is under 100 yards I don't think you could beat a .22 rimfire.

Dave.
For hunting whitetail deer, the 7x57 has long worked well for me. Combined with a good .22LR bolt gun, the old Mauser round will cover most any game hunting I have the opportunity to do.
Sentimental favorite is the 270 Winchester.
I would have never guessed Bob... laugh
Favorite cartridge is 250 Ackley, but favorite rifle is the thirty-ought six Ti.

This year may be 243 cartridge and a 300 Savage Kimber.

Agree with Travis....
.270 Win. But the .280 Rem. has been calling lately. I haven't answered yet. grin
I guess I've used a .243 more than anything else. Dad had one when I was a kid and I used it a lot. As I got older I started using a .30-06, 7mm RM, .300 mags etc. Eventually found that really none did anything I hadn't been able to do with a .243. Today with bullets like the TSX that is doubly true.
.250 Savage

Any small .25 caliber cartridge

8x57
9.3x62 won me over on my first hunt in Sweden. Pretty sure I will drag one all the way around the globe happily for the rest of my life.

The only thing I would like to see is a few more bullet options under 250 grains.
I'll concede the 222 Remington Magnum for the Montanans, where they apparently eat much smaller critters than Alaskans. Up here the correct answer would be 35 or 400 Whelen. grin

Mart
I'd have to say that mine is the 7mm/08. I often hunt with other cartridges, but they all get measured against the 7/08.
I loved the 300wsm but bought a 7mm08 a couple years ago and it is becoming my new favorite.

I tried the 45-70 and .358 win (a couple times) and didn't find them to kill deer any faster. In fact my most incredible kills have all been with the 7mm08 shooting 120 bt the last few seasons.
For Texas, pretty hard to beat a 257 Weatherby. Although, I just picked up a 6-06, so that may be changing smile

For everywhere else, I'll take my 270 Weatherby. With a tough bullet, it pretty much covers everything in N. America.
Originally Posted by mart
I'll concede the 222 Remington Magnum for the Montanans, where they apparently eat much smaller critters than Alaskans. Up here the correct answer would be 35 or 400 Whelen. grin

Mart

Nah. The 222 Mag is gay down here too.
270 Winchester
shocked I'm SHOCKED! just just SHOCKED! That you would pick the .270 Win. shocked

Nope,not really. grin
Originally Posted by BobinNH
270 Winchester

How many more times do you need to tell us????
Originally Posted by donsm70
.300 WSM for elk
7mm-08 for whitetails

donsm70

+1. This is also my current preference, but I am thinking a 280AI may cover both elk and deer nicely.
338-06 for elk moose and bears......250 Savage for the rest.
7X57 followed closely by my .264 Win Mag and then any .308
257 roberts or 243, not sure yet smile
243 win
Originally Posted by 338rcm
270 Winchester

Anklebiter: Did I post it before?...oh please forgive me Mister Monitor grin

At least I don't have to start a thread asking what bullet I should use..... Would think someone with your "experience" could figure that out for themselves....LOL!

I suspect I know the reason you need to ask.

Before I forget...GFY.

.300 H&H closely followed by the .358 Win.
270 Winchester

If you was a more faster learner Bobin wouldn't have to keep repeating it. smile

Shod
After 27k times, I think most of us know

LOL!!

6.5 x 57 Mauser....

due to the rarity, the age of it ( designed in the early 1890s)
and its capabilities ( flat shooting)....easy to load for ( just neck up 257 Roberts brass...( a 6.5 x 55 equivalent, in a 257 Roberts case)....
Again Bob what was your favorite???? I enjoy what you have to say and some others... But I did think that Mashburn might have at least had second place...
Uuuhh! is anybody looking? 35 Whelen
I'm with Brad ... 308. No muss, no fuss.
All of them.
I can't decide which is my favorite. 222 Rem, 30-30 Win, or 35 Whelen, can't decide which. Indecision may or may not be my problem.
270 Winchester

Until you believe it isn't outclassed by the 280 Ackley............. grin
RD: I have a 7 Rem Mag, too. smile
For me, its a tie between the .30-06 and the 6.5x55.
257 Roberts. Optimal recoil and power combined with a nice range of bullet choice nicely straddling the varmint/game fence. Also allows me to use my favorite rifle... a Remington Model 30s.
RD: I have a 7 Rem Mag, too. smile

Yeah but it has that damn belt......makes it impossible to reload...
270 Win. Followed by 300 Win mag. But I love 'em all.
I hunt for deer and black bear in U. P. woods where shots are typically close. I've tried and liked a lot of things, but the 8x57 is still my favorite.
Someone learned me a long time ago that my 280 AI would not defy the laws of physics though he had to repeat it numerous times.

Now I'm a fan of the 270 and the older..... but not to old gentleman that had to learn me.

Shod
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Without a doubt, 222 Remington magnum. There isn't a single big game cartridge you could shoot all day long and then do it again the next day like you can with the 222 Remington magnum, that is why I have 4 of them...

Need 5.
.257 for caliber, .250-3000 for cartridge.
300 Savage
308 Win.
Same - 308win. I have tried to stray, but there is always one hanging around!
358 Win followed by 9.3x62. If I had to pick a #3, it would be my 300 Win Mag.
Wicked and no holdover out to 350 yds (velocities confirmed in three separate chrono sessions):

340 WEATHERBY � COR-BON 225 GRAIN BARNES TTSX � BC-0.514 (270-yd zero)
Rng / Vel. / Impact / KE / 10mph Drift
000 / 3160 / -1.75 / 4989 / 0.00
050 / 3057 / 0.79 / 4669 / 0.57
100 / 2962 / 2.39 / 4383 / 0.97
150 / 2869 / 3.00 / 4113 / 1.65
200 / 2778 / 2.55 / 3856 / 2.61
250 / 2688 / 0.97 / 3610 / 3.88
300 / 2601 / -1.82 / 3380 / 5.45
350 / 2515 / -5.9 / 3160 / 7.35
400 / 2432 / -11.36 / 2955 / 9.6
450 / 2350 / -18.29 / 2759 / 12.2
500 / 2270 / -26.8 / 2575 / 15.17
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Need 5.

My favorite chambering of All Time is the 223AI. Never could warm up to blued/walnut slow twisted Goat [bleep],nor Haybale & Crockett "Adventures" like the Paper Hat Brigade. Laffin'!

Only have (13) of 'em currently and prolly have barrel length,contour and twist rates covered. 18.5" is as slight as length goes,sub #1's as svelte as contours go and twists run 7,8,9,10,12 and 14". I hear good thangs about Light Done Right in a 21" 1-8". Hint.

Would punch some Tags with 'em,but The Paper Hat Brigade has concluded it'd be "unfair".

Laffin'!

Kiss,find pressure and rock on...with 75's at 3100fps+.

Hint.
22lr, very handy for getting rid of unwanted pests.
Originally Posted by JSTUART
22lr, very handy for getting rid of unwanted pests.

JSTUART;
Good morning to you sir, I hope this finds you and yours well even though I think you must be either up late or early if I've got the time zones right.

I'll put in another vote for the .22lr as my favorite.

We certainly have more firearms chambered in that round than any other at our house and shoot them more often too.

If you can source them in your part of the world, I've had 4 one shot kills on local coyotes with CCI Velocitor ammo and I should mention that I've found coyotes to be quite tough to kill sometimes.

We use Stingers for smaller yard or pest work and then whatever match ammo we can find for hunting grouse in the fall.

Anyway sir hopefully your day proves to be an acceptable one.

Dwayne
You 308 guys are almost dead on. You just need to neck down to .284. (Grin)
Good morning Dwayne, it is 1.23 am and I am up as I have been driving B-doubles down to Melbourne and it has stuffed my sleep patterns.

I tend to use Winchester subsonics in my 22lr, I have got a brick of CCI longs with the 40 grain solid projectile, but have cheated as I purchased a die set to add a hollow point to them, a very nice fellow in the States sent it over to me a couple of years ago.

They are very quiet.
'STUART,

THE Grail was found,when I slipped my 54 Repeater into the Annie T-Hole Sillywet. It soooooooo loves this ammo,which is the definition of [bleep] surprising. The only way to sweeten the pot,would be to replace the 25MOA 1913 rail,for a 50+ MOA version,as I can only reach the 600yd line as configured,with the erector dumped and reticle maxed.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

50yd hasty cluster.

[Linked Image]

I'm hearin' good thangs about a Marvel Unit 1 Conversion too. The dot makes 'er a TRUE Sleeper.(grin)

[Linked Image]

Cain't wait for the Annie spout to puke,so I can rebarrel to S/S and make 'er even more versatile.

'round,

I hear good thangs.

Though I like my schit under the radar and stealthy.(grin)

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

JSTUART;
Thanks for the reply, it does my heart good to know I sort of figured out the time zone thing - practice for family traveling and all that you know. wink

Once upon a time, more than 3 decades ago now I see, I ran over the road a wee bit with a B-train on the flat lands. I then got a Class 1 Air Endorsement when we moved here but hadn't driven with anything over a 5 ton since the early '80's.

I tried earlier this month with 40,000lb of concrete blocks to run an 18 Speed on some local twisting and icy roads, but decided that perhaps all concerned would be much, MUCH safer if I don't do that again...... blush

On the sleep patterns issue, my goodness do I ever get that and then some.

Quiet is one of the big reasons why the little .22's get use in the more populated areas here, as even though it's legal to shoot, it's sometimes much simpler not to advertise.

Thanks again for the reply sir and here's hoping you get some rest before climbing back onto the air seat.

Dwayne
Hi Stick, the 22lr is just plain fun, and those 54's do generally shoot well.

What have you been up to lately?
I am supposed to be heading out again on sunday, probably some to the market and pick up at Metcash (groceries) for the local stores...I am not keen on backing the damn thing into the docks so am breaking it up and putting the B trailer on first then hooking up the A trailer.

I am meeting some very interesting people though.
Originally Posted by lastround
You 308 guys are almost dead on. You just need to neck down to .284 .264. (Grin)

Fixed it for you.
JSTUART;
My goodness do I hear you on backing up two trailers in a B-Train!

I've seen good drivers do it, but I'm not one of those...... wink

Led to me speaking in tongues as I recall and I'm not even Pentecostal! laugh

Drive safe and sleep well sir.

Dwayne
'STUART,

The usual...Castin & Blastin'. Water has been lowwwwww,so it's been more Blastin' than Castin',but that ain't exactly a bad "problem" to have.

Got home yesterday,going through gear and getting ready to make a move. Water temps are still brisk,so Chrome is lazy and lockjawed early in the day,but that'll change with another rain.

Lookin' to Pearl Harbor more than a few,with a splendid deviation of an Aged Theme. They'll [bleep] never see it comin'.(grin)

[Linked Image]

Blew up a favored rod size a Spring ago and finally got it flung back to the Factory and they took care of me for 20 clams. I've heavy hands and had they declined,I'd of shrugged it off and poked it in the category of shot out barrels and blowed up rods,of which there's more than a whole [bleep] bunch of.(grin)

[Linked Image]

Though I did land the culprit.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Funny schit!

Stoking up the crummy with binos,spotter,cameras,blades,rifles,rods,boots and duds takes a spell,but once wooded,I'm there for a coupla weeks.

Though Winter is my favorite,I hear good thangs about a right proper Spring Fling.

Film at 11:00.

'Gallus,

A VERY Wise Man once said: "you gotta neck the suck outta a 308".

That gent remains spot on.
for deer/hogs - 270 win
for elk - 06'

Of the calibers I have the 30-06 is still a favorite. It will do everything I can do here in MT.
Originally Posted by Boxer
'STUART,

The usual...Castin & Blastin'. Water has been lowwwwww,so it's been more Blastin' than Castin',but that ain't exactly a bad "problem" to have.

Got home yesterday,going through gear and getting ready to make a move. Water temps are still brisk,so Chrome is lazy and lockjawed early in the day,but that'll change with another rain.

Lookin' to Pearl Harbor more than a few,with a splendid deviation of an Aged Theme. They'll [bleep] never see it comin'.(grin)

[Linked Image]

Blew up a favored rod size a Spring ago and finally got it flung back to the Factory and they took care of me for 20 clams. I've heavy hands and had they declined,I'd of shrugged it off and poked it in the category of shot out barrels and blowed up rods,of which there's more than a whole [bleep] bunch of.(grin)

[Linked Image]

Though I did land the culprit.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

GLoomis takes good care of customers suffering blowups...talk about warranties! wink
Larry, you just described my 54.18 ms-r. They don't suck!! grin
If it goes boom, I like it!
If they gotta get back up after being hit, I like it better.
If they don't get back up after being hit, I like it best!
That's why I shoot big bullets at big game.
.444 marlin
Rod fared well...CZ Hummer [bleep] puked. I wonder how their Customer Service is?!?(grin)

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Just kidding,gonna throw their piece of [bleep] schit rings offa cliff and cut to the [bleep] chase. Noone at CZ could run fast enough to catch me,in order to hand me a free set of their version of rings.

And I [bleep] pamper blued/walnut Goat [bleep].
300 win mag follows close by 7mm/08
Originally Posted by mart

Mart

I'm with Mart, the 35 Whelen or my Pre64 338 are pretty much the top of my list. I do love the 270WSM and 264 Win Mag for the lighter stuff.
7mm-08(AI) - std 7-08 would be a close second. Followed by:
284 win
7mm wsm
308 win
If any of that bunch was the only cartridge I could use, I'd be happy for Missouri whitetails and the occasion elk.
378 bee why?

just cause
I like several, but the .300 Win. Mag is My go-to cartridge for big game......................Hb
Must be a 30-06. Otherwise I wouldn't have four of them.
264 win mag then 30.06, 308, then another 6.5 caliber I hope to get one day...in that order.
243 Win firing 100 grain factory loads - just works without betting the snot out of you!!!

Gus
Cain't think of a single 100-grainer I'd fling in 6mm,shy of losing a bet. Perhaps that's why you cite "betting the snot out of you!!". Laffin'!

Didn't break a rifle yesterday,but did try to lose my crummy.

[Linked Image]

It's always sumptin'.(grin)

Originally Posted by Fotis
378 bee why?

just cause

So that's your favorite PD rifle, but what about big game? grin
Jack was right.

.270 without a doubt.
beretzs,

I've personally only shot-out/apart (1) 378Wby and it was of course a POS MK V. They made good on all of it,to their credit. Never outright abused,but simply shot the dog schit outta it.

Fairly good chambering...absolute schit rifle. Typical 9-lug arrangement.

Hint.

'348,

JOC was a product of his times and agenda. It's as tough to get giddy about a [bleep] 270 now,as it ever was...though the clueless swoon schit,which reliably arranges humor.

I'm afforded the luxury of not being forced to guess and if the 270 was the one(or even [bleep] close),I'd simply have a herd. Though in fairness,I've never owned more than (5) at one time. I've prolly gunned a few platforms and in a few chamberings and am rather at ease in their extrapolations,founded in the first hand via copious trigger time. Hint.

I've gotta have a series of real good reasons to go L/A to start with and the 270 sure as [bleep] ain't gonna make ANY cut,from ANY angle. Laffin'!

Tell me about Partitions,adjustable rears and Blued/Walnut "satisfactions".

Laffin'!
It's clear that you know everything there is to know about practically everything, but I am the world's leading expert on what I like.

'348,

Oh I've more than passing familiarity,with more than a few thangs...if only to your chagrin. Laffin'!

I'd not wish to quell the power of your Imagination,nor slight the "satisfactions" you find in your Pretend and only hope you keep continuing to comment aloud about 'em. Mainly because it's [bleep] hilarious!

Here I was looking forward to a 270 Tutorial,from some who "does" and "knows" as "much" as you. Ain't hardly "fair",is it?!?

Bless your heart.

Laffin'!

Cain't think of a single 100-grainer I'd fling in 6mm,shy of losing a bet. Perhaps that's why you cite "betting the snot out of you!!". Laffin'!

Didn't break a rifle yesterday,but did try to lose my crummy.

[Linked Image]

It's always sump tin'.(grin)

Ya, but the sump tin was all on me grin The driver side was about all down hill, but the slide wasn't in the original plan. Should have just dragged the Deer up and over.

[Linked Image]

Had to call in the rescue team.

[Linked Image]
I'm sure your mother's very proud.
'tue,

I was trying purty hard,to rattle it offa 750' or so rock cliff and nearly got it did.

Had it all to myself.(grin)

'348,

LOVE your Whine!

I'll feign my "surprise",that yet another [bleep] Clueless Window Licker...is more than a little bit uncomfy trying to talk The Rifle. I wonder why that is?!? Laffin'!

Bless your heart.

Laffin'!
Brings to mind the first thought that popped into my head when I saw Beyonce in a spandex jumpsuit

"What an ass!"
'348,

You Whining Do Nothing Kchunt...ANYTHING but The Rifle. Pun be intended Laffin'!

I'd not slight your fascination with Spandex.

You "hard chargers" are a [bleep] riot!
Much like Boxer, I prefer the .270 and 140 NBTs. smile
well my 3006 then my 3006 then my 350 rem.
I have a couple of 25-06's for shooting across the fields and Marlin 336's in 30-30 and .35 for the woods. One rifle for as a fun cartridge is a 250/3000 because "Steelhead" said so.....HMMM!

Doc
My finding in the last 8 or so years is that the 308 kills [bleep] in Montana just fine.

I laid in a supply of 165 Speep BTSPs, and a couple 8 pounders of Varget. I clock those at 2750, and everything I've shot with one died.

I've shot up a pile of 260 ammo as well, and that's a badass cartridge as well. 100 grain Ballistic Tips [bleep] up antelope pretty good, and Whitetails too.

Lately, my fascination has been with a G20 in 10MM. I've basically been dupin' the Buffalo Bore 220 hardcast load with Blue Dot. 1250 in a 4.6" barrel is serious juju for a bottom feeder.
Boxer,
If I wanted a single cartridge to shoot deer and elk with out to 400yds., what would you recommend?
400yds isn't nearly as "far" Today...as it was 20yrs or more ago. Mainly because you can KNOW the distance and NOTHING will up connect percentages,in similar fashion as known distance and good boolits. 400yds+++++ is short action territory. Hint. Handy/dandy trumps all. Re-hint.

Now of course Today,Critters don't die any differently than they ever have,but reliably Dealing Death has never been so [bleep] easy. Again,due mainly to known distance. Hint.

I'd simply choose a boolit first and give it a thunk,in how I wanted to launch it. That thunk would include twist,throat,S/S spout(as a minimum),a synthetic handle,good mounts,good glass and a buncha trigger time. All of which is easily arranged and if you wasn't careful,you could have a GREAT [bleep] time doing it. A good LRF being a given. Hint.

I'd skirt 25's and 8mm's,due boolits,if only because there are vastly superior results available in other diameters,for like or less recoil. Hint.

Practice cain't be purchased and everyone is concocting reasons/ways to circumvent that portion of the equation,which is the BEST part of The Rifle,which I'll never [bleep] understand.

As a worst case scenario...noone hates 308's more than I,but I could take a newb with a NIB Montucky chambered same,set a 6x42 wearing M1 ele atop it in LW's,feed it good ammo(Skinners) and shoot cleans on 400yd clay birds until bored with doing same. That'd be aboutta #2 on the ascending Relative "Difficulty" Scale,with pouring coffee being a #1. Hint. That factoring a coupla minutes to ascertain correct assembly and tweak the trigger. Re-hint.

A guy makes his own "luck" and schit will reliably be as easy as you make it. Hint.

Cracks me up,how reliably stupid,people do schit.

Headed out to play with a new fast twist 243AI.(grin)
Thanks Boxer, my train of thought is the 7mm08 for a number of reasons, one is bullet selection,the other is rifle selection.
Thanks Boxer, my train of thought is the 7mm08 for a number of reasons, one is bullet selection,the other is rifle selection.

Good choice. Way better than the .243 wink
Hey Boxer:

What is your thunkings on 8 twist 3 groove Pac-Nor barrels, I have burnt a couple similar Liljas, But this barrel seems to have huge lands.??. Shoots very well Standard 243. 1000 rounds plus down and could pass as a virgin

All moly 105 amax and 1000 rounds, looks like a virgin. Although there must be a lot of corrosion as I have not cleaned for 400 rounds and have read Varmint Al's treatise on moly and corrosion. The moly corrosion is hard to discern, and the barrel shoots great. I know there are very complex requirements as to cleaning moly fired barrels. I just swab with GM TEC every 300 rounds Would you just trash this barrel.. or continue to shoot? What are your thinkings about moly? I know it causes pressure spikes after a few rounds and is hard to apply and clean up.. which is why I'm pretty sure this barrel is toast

All this makes I am going in the wrong direction?

Thanks,
.300wby for me, shot africa with it 3 times now, its good for here in aus where i get a few longer shots and still hits hard enough for the buffalo....although not perfect mild on recoil, mine is a outfitter ultralight from wby and my wife shelley who is about 115lbs shoots it and loves it as well. I load mine with 155gr aussie custom projectiles......well i should because i own them, but previous to that run barnes
Originally Posted by 10at6
Hey Boxer:

What is your thunkings on 8 twist 3 groove Pac-Nor barrels, I have burnt a couple similar Liljas, But this barrel seems to have huge lands.??. Shoots very well Standard 243. 1000 rounds plus down and could pass as a virgin

All moly 105 amax and 1000 rounds, looks like a virgin. Although there must be a lot of corrosion as I have not cleaned for 400 rounds and have read Varmint Al's treatise on moly and corrosion. The moly corrosion is hard to discern, and the barrel shoots great. I know there are very complex requirements as to cleaning moly fired barrels. I just swab with GM TEC every 300 rounds Would you just trash this barrel.. or continue to shoot? What are your thinkings about moly? I know it causes pressure spikes after a few rounds and is hard to apply and clean up.. which is why I'm pretty sure this barrel is toast

All this makes I am going in the wrong direction?

Thanks,

It looks like a virgin and shoots very well but you think it's toast?
1tn',

I've heard of the 7-08,but have never seen or shot one. Looking on paper and reading about it,one would think it would do just fine?!?

Spill your guts,if you plunge...mebbe you can nudge me in a similar direction.

Thanks!

Dooshmike,

The 243Win is no good on Game and is strictly a Varmint chambering.

Savage99 said so and she nearly shot one,once.

Though it were decades ago.(grin)

'at6,

I hear good thangs.

Moly is hygroscopic too and would be a poor choice anywhere other than arid regions.

I clean every 10rds,except during break-in,which is every shot.

bat',

Like most of Roy's stuff,the chamberings are far better than the rifles. Have had more than a few on 700's,where it shines rather brightly and mebbe even a few 30-8mmRemMags to boot.

Often wondered how it'd fair with Skinners?

'Photog,

More toast...from minutes ago.

8" Bart',243AI,308 Lapooie Virgins sized for positive headspace,87'Max kiss and enough Oooomph to form nicely.

First load tried and it'll keep 'em touching at 100.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Most,if not all of which,will fly over pointy heads and tinfoil hats,which is of course the best part.(grin)

Well if Savage 99 said it it must be true. laugh
I do enjoy that stupid [bleep]'s Imagination,almost as much as she does.(grin)

Was suplized the 54 Faux MSR was still zeroed dead nuts on,after having been airborne so many times yesterday. Yerked the POS Hummer apart this morning,to tweak the trigger a smidge and just got done shooting come-ups with it and the 17gr CCI Flying Ashtrays. Re-confirmed 77/22 K-Hornet Fire Form zero and all is well.

Will go fling some 162's here in a bit.
Have had many favorites over the years. Current favorites in use now are the 223 and the 8x68S.

.284 Win.
Never heard of a 223 or a 284.

Things was lookin' good,here as of minutes ago.

[Linked Image]

Boxer why the dislike for the 308??
Originally Posted by nathanial
Have had many favorites over the years. Current favorites in use now are the 223 and the 8x68S.

8x68 is a great round

'Photog,

More toast...from minutes ago.

8" Bart',243AI,308 Lapooie Virgins sized for positive headspace,87'Max kiss and enough Oooomph to form nicely.

First load tried and it'll keep 'em touching at 100.

Most,if not all of which,will fly over pointy heads and tinfoil hats,which is of course the best part.(grin)

Hey now, it'll confuse pointy heads if your actually gonna USE the good stuff�.grins.
Based on the animals and locations I plan to hunt from here on out - the current favorites are 7mm-08 Rem and 6.5x55 SM
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Yes.

The real correct answer.

Minus the .270, of course. Sorry, Bob. smile
I don't know why anyone would hate the 308 Win; it is one of my favorite cartridges.

For hunting deer out to 300 yards it great. They tend to be very accurate and easy to load as well!
Originally Posted by Dixie_Rebel
I don't know why anyone would hate the 308 Win; it is one of my favorite cartridges.

For hunting deer out to 300 yards it great. They tend to be very accurate and easy to load as well!

I agree. I save all my hate for the .243 Win. laugh
Why Mike? In my very limited experience with the 243 (3 whitestails) it seemed to kill them as dead as anything else I've shot'em with....But like I said it's only 3 deer, not much to gauge it by.
Why Mike? In my very limited experience with the 243 (3 whitestails) it seemed to kill them as dead as anything else I've shot'em with....But like I said it's only 3 deer, not much to gauge it by.

Because Boxer loves it and recommends it for everything. wink
Originally Posted by beretzs
378 bee why?

just cause

So that's your favorite PD rifle, but what about big game? grin

416 Bee! grin
Probably the 7mm-08, which is odd, because I've only been using it for a few years. The same could be said of the 260.
The 7mm-08 is an unsung hero! Here is my baby girl practicing with hers.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Good looking group, Fotis.
Originally Posted by KDK
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Yes.

The real correct answer.

Minus the .270, of course. Sorry, Bob. smile

KDK: Not to worry...I sold all my 270's.
I've become a 30-06 nut with the 30-30 and 270 a tie fir second place. I like boring old rounds, I'm also a heavy for caliber guy too, lord help me.
416 Rigby

270WSM for when I was able to get out to Wyoming for Pronghorn. I know it is more cartridge than I need for antelope but, I like the fast, flat 140 Accubond. Hope to use the same thing on mule deer or whitetails out west. 90 grain Sierria varmint bullets at
3, 700 fps do open up Illinois coyotes. M70 Featherweight.
Illinois deer I use a 20 guage H&R Ultra Slug Hunter. Illinois is not a rifle for deer state.
For other things : 22 Hornet for most vermin, in a Ruger #1. 223 in a heavy bolt gun or an AR carbine is good for general critter getting.
22 rimfire is never far away.

Ernie

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Great shooting. Love those little 7's!
She is getting better by the day Scott!
I'd probably feel better if I had a real favorite. Probably .243...85 grain TSX's. Hogs, deer, coyotes, etc.
Currently,
Elk - .300 Win Mag
Long Range Plains - 6.5-.284 Norma
Whitetail treestand - .260 Rem
Varmint - .223 Rem
Turkey - .22 Mag
Bunnies - .22LR
Right now 7-08, next week...who knows! Probably going to get back to loving the 22-250 as the rock chucks are coming out.
7mmRemMag for mule deer and antelope
223 for ground squirrels and prairie dogs
22 CB short for raccoons in traps, tree squirrels in the bird feeder, and rats under the bird feeder.

She is getting better by the day Scott!

She looks natural behind the gun. Hoping she has a successful Fall. Are you taking her out to shoot PD's?
If I can find a spot yes. My spots got poisoned.
Deer-7MM STW bear- 338Lapua, backup 30-378 Wby love those Sakos!
.270 Win.....still after 50 years or so....
[Linked Image]]

You might want to repair the holes in the wall of that building.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Foti,
I expected to see a McMillan "Hellenic" stock on one of your rifles - complete with the marble accents and pillars!!

Beautiful 7-08 there - I have a Howa lightweight 7-08 in a McSwirley which is very nice to carry - but I have to work up a new load with 120 gr TTSX 's for it.

Your daughter is a great shot - (na tin herese!!)

Kalo paskha - hristos anesti file.

Kostas
300saum, 243 win is a close second
2-3/4" 20 gauge
Originally Posted by Desertrat
.270 Win.....still after 50 years or so....

Desertrat; Good thing you gave it enough time to see if it worked or not.... smile
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
2-3/4" 20 gauge

I don't believe that.
All-around? .22LR. I can kill anything that needs killing with that and stay damned well fed in the doing.

Above that, give me the .30-06, .308, 7.62x39, or .303 British, in that order but close enough to flip a coin amongst them, and I'm good to go.

Same as Ingwe and Elk: .270 Win. grin
Efharisto! Alithos Anesti!
Originally Posted by RevMike

With either 130 gr or 150 gr Nosler Partitions. wink
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Originally Posted by RevMike

With either 130 gr or 150 gr Nosler Partitions. wink

Mine too. I'm running the 150's...1" 5 shot groups from my fwt are the norm now... I know Ingwe loves the 270, so my vote also goes toward it.. laugh whistle
I have two favourites, depending on the "what and where" I hunt.

.35 Whelen with a strong 250 grain bullet loaded to 2500 fps has been my standard elk and moose hunting cartridge for a long time. I don't shoot farther than 250 yards, I just stalk closer if one happens to be found farther than that. Of the 15 or so big critters I've killed with it, all experiences have been very satisfactory and perhaps a bit more decisive than similar shots with lighter cartridges.

for everything else, a .308 win with a good 165 grain bullet ( NP etc) at 2700fps. Excellent deer load, accurate, easy to shoot well, and adequate for elk, moose and bears.
I use many other cartridges, but those are my standards.
6.5x55 swedish
Forget the whole 130 or 150 Nosler question in the 270. Just do what I did and get 140's and be done with it.
Yup, that's why I shoot 165's in the .308. One do-all weight!
300 WSM
280 Remington
308 Winchester
308 Winchester.
Used to be a Rem Mtn rifle in 7mm-08, then a BLR in 358, and now a Sav99F in 300sav. Light weight, points like a dream, and knocks 'em down pretty good too.
.300 Win Mag and .223
.300 Win. Mag is My favorite, for now...........lol ............Hb
Originally Posted by Brad
All Montana game / 308 Win

All Idaho game / .308 Win.
Originally Posted by HUNTNFISH
Jack,Elmer,Jack,Elmer...

270 Win.

338 Win. Mag.

Gotta have 2

Decades ago in AK, if you had two Pre-64 Winchester so chambered, you were the man. Especially if the 338 had a 1-4x Leupy in a Pachmayer low-swing mount.
280AI
For me the 7mm-08. I always come back to this one and the 2 bears and 5 moose i have taken with it won't complain about it either.
30-06 and 7x57
Originally Posted by quackquackbang
For me the 7mm-08. I always come back to this one and the 2 bears and 5 moose i have taken with it won't complain about it either.
I agree 100%. With modern bullets, I can cover any type of hunting I do with the 7mm-08.

I still-hunt, drive and stand-hunt. The farthest I have to shoot would be around 300 yds, although, I would also use it if I went back out west for mule deer, perfect amount of power and range, IMO.

9.3x62 and the 300 H&H mag and 30-06
I love a number of different cartridge's but, if I could only have one type rifle the rest of my life, well I loved my old 600 Rem but I've got a mod 70 Feather Weight now that is super. 2-7x Redfield on it. 22" barrel. Yea, think that would be the one!
22-250

Barnes bullet and Varget powder using a Savage Model 12 as the weapon of choice. Makes for an awesome combination that will take up to Mule deer size game no problem.

HaYen

250 AI.
Well this is a tough one. I have killed more with a 300winag than any other rifle. The past couple seasons have been a 25-06 and now 25-06AI sako, this is now my go to for anything less than a bra field hunt.
Have and had almost all calibers but that's my two picks for now. I am playing around with a 338 laupa that is pretty fun for the long range stuff.
My favorite cartridge is the 358 Win. Plenty of power for NH's Black Bear, Moose and Deer. Another season choice is my love for my T/C 50 cal Hawkens. 20+ Deer to it's credit.

Out of state hunts in NY Apple Orchard where I only used my Ruger Mini 30 with 30+ Deer kills.

Ken
338wm

Then

30-06

Then 450M

Snake

Originally Posted by NMSSHOOTER
this is now my go to for anything less than a bra field hunt.

What's a 'bra field hunt'?
Hunting deer: .270 WSM

Hunting Elk & Bear: .358 Norma Mag

Dads fav and still close to my heart: 30-06 Winchester, never killed anything with it but it sure is special to me.
Nice! I dig that big Norma!
Any 1/4 bore for now
Originally Posted by KDK
Originally Posted by NMSSHOOTER
this is now my go to for anything less than a bra field hunt.

What's a 'bra field hunt'?

Dang autocorrect got me again. "bean field hunt".
I like a heavier rifle for those hunts
© 24hourcampfire