Home
I'm not much of a handgun person, but I reckon it is time to pick a woods handgun up. I always been a long gun type of person. All three of the above are all great calibers. You folks big on the bear spray.
At one time or another I have carried all of the above in Southeast AK. Including the spray. Have never had to use any of them thank god.

So I am sure some will chime in here saying you should carry a rifle, or shotgun before a handgun. I am not saying that is a wrong thing to recommend.However there are times when you want piece of mind without the bulk and weight. In my opinion all would give me that piece of mind.
I carried a 44 Mag in the form of a Ruger Super Blackhawk 5.5" barrel cut down from 7.5". I mostly carried Buffalo Bore 305 grain hard casts. Never had to shoot anything but I had it in my hand several times over the years when I was very close to bears, and once when we had a cow moose charge our group while riding ATV's. I think bear spray is probably a legitimate defense for grizzly's or Brown bears. I'm not so confident with black bears.
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
At one time or another I have carried all of the above in Southeast AK. Including the spray. Have never had to use any of them thank god.

So I am sure some will chime in here saying you should carry a rifle, or shotgun before a handgun. I am not saying that is a wrong thing to recommend.However there are times when you want piece of mind without the bulk and weight. In my opinion all would give me that piece of mind.
That is why I started the 45-70 thread pretty much, I am a rifle guy more than handgun. Time to get a woods handgun, don't need no 460 or 500 s&w,
I didn't say anything about a 460 or 500.

I would pick the one that comes in the package that feels best to you.
owned the 3 at one time or the other.........carry my fathers pre-29 4" when I have the wife or grandaughter around on a hunt. the .454 was abit heavy after a few days of hunting. My G20 stays with me most times when I use my boat.
Ruger Blackhawk in .44 Magnum or the wife's Colt Anaconda in .44 Magnum. Sometimes I carry a Blackhawk or GP-100 in .357 Mangum instead.
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
I didn't say anything about a 460 or 500.

I would pick the one that comes in the package that feels best to you.
I didn`t say you said anything about the 460 or 500. I was saying I didn`t need or want one. You see on the web many folks think you need a handcannon for bear, I rather have a rifle. But would like to get a handgun for the woods too.
Personally, if I"m going the weight route of some of the big guns, I'll carry a short long gun...

But if handgun only, 329PD has gone along on all trips. Its small and light enough you will never have the urge to not strap it on.
For several years I packed a Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44 mag with a 4 5/8" barrel and ran 300gr Alaskan Backpackers through it but it got to be to heavy so I sold it. When I'm hunting with a rifle I never carry a pistol but do when bow hunting.

I'm sort of in the same boat as you and am seriously considering a 10mm. The big wheelguns are cool and all but their weight is a huge downer IMO.
I carry a four inch Redhawk 45 Colt with 300 grain cast bullets going around 1100-1200 fps. Very shootable but it is a bit on the heavy side. Bear spray is a good option. I haven't done it yet but am considering carrying my Ruger Deerstalker 44 mag with Hornady 265 grain flat points the next time I head to the river. Light, handy and a tack driver to 50 yards with that bullet.
7.5 Ruger Blackhawk in .44 Magnum ....270 gr
Hornady 265 ...shoot a 55 gal drum ...the jacket always comes off and lands in front of the barrel ...even with the new /updated ones ("new ones" where they put a second crimp on the bullet to help it stay together )
I carry a 4" S&w 45 long Colt with a hard cast 300gr bullet @ 900fps.. I've not had to use it in self defense but in general plinking I've found it penetrates pretty darn good!
More important than what you pack is gaining the skills to use a handgun effectively. Having observed many shooters at the handgun range over several decades I've concluded few of them have any hope of using a handgun to effectively protect themselves from danger. Being skilled with a handgun takes a fair amount of time to develop, and takes continual practice to keep those skills sharp. I can not have fired a rifle in a year and still be fairly competent with it. With a handgun if I'm not practicing weekly my skills deteriorate. So if you choose to carry a handgun for self protection, plan on developing the skills to use it effectively or else it will be a false sense of security.

As far as what I carry, a Ruger SRH in 480 with a 400 gr cast bullet @ 1200 fps. It's the most powerful handgun I can accurately shoot.
I share 458 Lott observations!

Stick with your rifle if going into the woods. Handguns are fine for casual neighborhood walks.

A young friend had a bad experience two weeks ago at my bear bait. His 44 mag turned the bear but that's about all. He new better than to be in that area without a rifle.

It always amazes me how many would carry a 44 mag pistol for bear protection but would never think of carrying a 44 mag rifle for bear hunting.
On my fairly frequent visits to AK to hunt/fish, etc., a Ruger SBH 44mag 3.5" bbl, and a Ruger Alaskan 44 mag all with Garrett Hammerheads (310g to 330g). Last trip I wore a Ruger Bisley BH 45 Colt with 330g hard cast hand loads at 1,100 fps, and my son wore a custom Ruger 475 Linebaugh 7.5" bbl with 400g Hornady XTP's at 1,250 fps.

MY son shot an honest 7', 2" black bear (hunting not SD) square in the chest with that 475 Linebaugh at about 20 feet and the bullet made it all the way to his hind quarter about 3" from his A-hole� and a hollow point no less� bear was DRT, but still managed to turn and make it about 20 yds into the brush before piling up� a blind man could have tracked that bear. It looked like a scene from a Freddy Krueger movie!
Originally Posted by 458 Lott

As far as what I carry, a Ruger SRH in 480 with a 400 gr cast bullet @ 1200 fps. It's the most powerful handgun I can accurately shoot.

Does that sting at all? crazy
Originally Posted by ironbender

Does that sting at all? crazy

I have personally seen him shoot it more accurately from the bench than many can do with a rifle at 100 yards...
Actually the 480 feels like a big 44 mag and with the Hogue grips the srh is fairly comfortable to shoot.

With a bullet designed to fit to the length of the SRH cylinder you have effectively the same powder capacity as a 475 linebaugh and can push 400 gr 1350 fps, that gets your attention. Also during my load work many moons ago I had a 460 gr bullet that I managed to push 1150 fps, that really got my attention and extraction of the brass was a bit sticky.

IMHO the 480 is at it's best with a 390-420 gr cast bullet right around 1200 fps. The gun is more accurate than most people would believe (MOA) and as previously mentioned quite shootable. When my skills were sharp I could put up a set of 8" steel plates at 50 yds and offhand be six for six shooting double action.

So mild a kid can shoot it

[Linked Image]

And before anyone lets a 10 y/o fire a full patch load, he was shooting 300 gr @ 1000 fps.
Everyone has their own threshold. .44 Buffalo Bore 305 gr at 1325 feels like a hand-full in an SBH.
Believe it or not the 480 is able to push a 400 gr 1200 fps burning slightly less powder than the 44 uses to push a 300 gr 1300 fps, and IMHO the recoil levels are really on par with each other. Some day on your way through town we'll have to plan a range session so you can try the 480 out.

The reason I like the 480 is I had the opportunity to shoot several 454's, 475's and 500's and I personally cannot handle that level of recoil in a revolver and accurately place my shots. With the 480 I found a round that is IMHO a step up on terminal performance from the 44, but not past my recoil threshold.
I'm intrigued by the 480 and now that Ruger is making them again, I may look that direction. For now, I carry a SRH in 44 Mag, with a...gulp... 9 1/2" bbl. Not the most convenient, but I run what I brung and I cant stand the thought of cutting it..... with 325 gr Hardcast DT bullets and near max charges of W296 it is one hell of a nice shooter.

I been looking about for a 454 SRH so I can shoot 45LC too, but the 480 has my attention. Definently need to look at a 4" or 5.5" barrel though. That 9.5" is a bit of a hassle smile
That would be fun, but so often that's fly-by country going someplace.

Bring it as a salmon finisher! wink
Originally Posted by ironbender
Everyone has their own threshold. .44 Buffalo Bore 305 gr at 1325 feels like a hand-full in an SBH.

I run 300gr Unicores at ~1200 in my 2.5" Taurus tracker, I'll admit it's about all I want to hold on to. That load would probably clock ~1300 in a 6" or 8" barrel. The tracker is just a handy piece to carry compared to larger frames like my 629 so it gets used the most.

I hope I never have to test it to see if it's enough gun. Our grizzly density is not nearly as high as some of the places in AK, but enough to keep you on guard in lots of places. My caliber of choice would probably change if I hung out around some of your big coastal bears.
I plan on buying another 480 and cutting it to 5". Don't know why they don't offer a 480 Toklat, it would be perfect.

I can tolerate 7 1/2" in a shoulder rig, but would much rather have a 5" in a chest rig.

Bender, understood. With kids activities its a rush to get there on time, and by the time you're done you just want to get home. I'm thankful my son is in Seattle and Portland this week for soccer tournaments. That way I don't have to commute to Anchorage twice a day. First time for work, then as soon as I get home it's back to town for a practice or game.
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
For several years I packed a Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44 mag with a 4 5/8" barrel and ran 300gr Alaskan Backpackers through it but it got to be to heavy so I sold it. When I'm hunting with a rifle I never carry a pistol but do when bow hunting.

I'm sort of in the same boat as you and am seriously considering a 10mm. The big wheelguns are cool and all but their weight is a huge downer IMO.

Weigh a 329PD... 300 or 270 hard cast with stiff loads aren't easy to handle but they are sure not impossible.

I just hate to pack around a 5 pound pistol like some of the big ones seem to be. I'll take a short rifle everytime over something like a redhawk or such.

I have not taken a 10mm glock yet, but I think I could consider that.
The super redhawk is 3.3#'s. It may appear to be a heavy revolver, but really isn't as heavy as one might think.
Originally Posted by rost495

Weigh a 329PD... 300 or 270 hard cast with stiff loads aren't easy to handle but they are sure not impossible.

I just hate to pack around a 5 pound pistol like some of the big ones seem to be. I'll take a short rifle everytime over something like a redhawk or such.

I have not taken a 10mm glock yet, but I think I could consider that.

AKMH, give a shout if you want to test drive a 329. Mine is not for sale, but you're welcome to shoot it.

I agree the 480 is more better, but the 329 is all I'm willing to pack.
Chris, how's the recoil on that 329 with loads like what Jeff mentioned?
The super redhawk is 3.3#'s. It may appear to be a heavy revolver, but really isn't as heavy as one might think.

Oh yeah, I know, had one, and I was being a bit facious. But too heavy for me to want to lug around when a couple more pounds would be smarter at that point.

RE recoil, its stout. I don't know how to put it. But I can hit well enough for bear issues with it. At least for the first couple. AFter 2 or3 I need to get a better grip on it as its rolling some.

I will not shoot it with heavies with wood grips again as the seam will pinch you really good. Though seems I've shot a friends that must have had different grips that did not pinch. That gun never had real heavies shot, but shooting 240 factory soft points was not a big deal.
I think I'm going to do the 10mm for starts and go from there, I have shot the 480 Ruger and Hornady factory loads have a nice jolt.
I use my smith 29 with 300 gr loads at 1100fps.I get alot of penetration and can handle the load well.
I carry a 1911 45. I'm comfortable and accurate with it. I shoot 230g bonded Golden Sabres for both two legged and four legged issues.
Believe it or not the 480 is able to push a 400 gr 1200 fps burning slightly less powder than the 44 uses to push a 300 gr 1300 fps, and IMHO the recoil levels are really on par with each other. Some day on your way through town we'll have to plan a range session so you can try the 480 out.

The reason I like the 480 is I had the opportunity to shoot several 454's, 475's and 500's and I personally cannot handle that level of recoil in a revolver and accurately place my shots. With the 480 I found a round that is IMHO a step up on terminal performance from the 44, but not past my recoil threshold.

+1

Stepping on the 320s in my 45 BH or running 420s in the abbreviated (5") SRH I have are not much different. The 480 has always been an overlooked cartridge IMO. While chunking 300-320s in a 44 or 45 is probably plenty enough and has been adequate a time or two for preventing an untimely demise, I much like the security of the bigger, fatter 480 bullets.

In regard to the initial query, I wouldn't even bother looking at the 10 and the 454 has never held any interest for me though it would undoubtedly be quite effective if one could really master it. However, like the 30-06 is plain and boring, the 44 Mag is easily the best choice of the three when it comes of heavy handgun needs.

Originally Posted by atvalaska
Hornady 265 ...shoot a 55 gal drum ...the jacket always comes off and lands in front of the barrel ...even with the new /updated ones ("new ones" where they put a second crimp on the bullet to help it stay together )

Compare a 17 Rem with 25 HPs and a 45-70 with 535 cast against 1/4" steel plate and see if shooting steel really works as a bear bullet analyzer. crazy (Not saying there aren't better 44 bullets than the 265 Hornady though.)

With the original grips, pretty nasty. With X-Frame grips, it's like getting hugged by Kate Upton.

Actually, it still gets your attention, but MUCH better.
hello

I had a 44 Magnum with Buffalo Bore 270 grain for 3 years. Now I think to buy a Glock 20... 10mmm.
I don't find the recoil on my son's 329PD that offensive, and he has G10 VZ Grips on it� he loads the Garrett Defender 310g in it regularly for backcountry carry and they really are not all that bad. I shot it last weekend and put around 24-30 rounds through it and did feel a little numbness in my hand for a few minutes afterwards. Having said that, my 629-4MG ain't a whole lot better with the same loads. In fact I load it with 44 Spc when I'm carrying around town, or practicing at the range with it.

IMO, the single actions, specifically the Bisley grip frame, just handles heavy recoil (e.g.: 454, 475, 500) so much better than the Smith back strap design. That knot on the back strap of those N frames right above the web of your thumb just comes back and pounds my hand. The DA revolvers, IMO do have a slight advantage in that you can use DA firing mode if you're really in a pinch� I guess an alternative is to carry one of the Smith X-Frame 4lb. hand carbines, but you may as well be carrying a nice compact lever rifle at that point.

I do love me some SA revolver though� they just feel right in the hand! Classic, fast out of the holster, point and hit right where you aim, roll back in the hand and come right back down of follow up shots pretty quickly (load dependent of course). I just can't get into the plastic semi-auto's� they just seem like disposable junk to me. Don't get me wrong, I've got a couple of Glock's stashed around, but they just don't do it for me.

IMO, an honest Alaskan carry weapon should be wood and steel, with a big hole in the tube, and carried in leather� but hey that's just me, an old romantic.

Carry on�
Originally Posted by scouttracker
I'm not much of a handgun person, but I reckon it is time to pick a woods handgun up. I always been a long gun type of person. All three of the above are all great calibers. You folks big on the bear spray.

The bear spray is much lighter, vastly cheaper, and more effective as a bear deterrent. This is especially true since you're "not much of a handgun person" and probably lack sufficient practice in wielding a sidearm.

http://www.bearspray.com/bear_spray_study.pdf

If you're like most of us and don't need a solid excuse to buy another firearm, it wouldn't hurt to buy a small-caliber handgun for plinking fun.
I have never had to stop a bear attack, but I do spend some time in bear country in Montana and farther north.
Apparently, when people have been attacked by bears, it's not unusual to end up on the ground rolling around with the bear. In the situation, I would prefer a double action revolver. Also, a bear gun isn't going to do much good if it's sitting on the truck seat wheile you walk into a campground looking for a camping spot. I like my Smith & Wesson Mountain gun with it's 5 inch barrel because it can stay on my hip all day and not be overly obtrusive.
While working in a gun store years ago, we had enough Taurus owners bring guns back with locked up cylinders to allow me to have any confidence in that brand.
Based on accounts of other people's bear attacks, if given a choice, I would much rather try to stop a bear attack with bear spray than with any handgun. Just going with the statistics on that one. Oh, and the fact that it's not unheard of for people trying to stop bear attacks with firearms to shot the wrong mammal.
Originally Posted by Royce
Oh, and the fact that it's not unheard of for people trying to stop bear attacks with firearms to shot the wrong mammal.

Somebody must have actually tried the old� "just shoot your buddy in the knee and then run like hell!", or perhaps even the "save the last bullet for yourself" advice� Hmmmm.

Originally Posted by dawaba

The bear spray is much lighter, vastly cheaper, and more effective as a bear deterrent. This is especially true since you're "not much of a handgun person" and probably lack sufficient practice in wielding a sidearm.

If you're like most of us and don't need a solid excuse to buy another firearm, it wouldn't hurt to buy a small-caliber handgun for plinking fun.

Having been there twice when bear spray was used under ideal conditions I find it humorous they still sell the stuff as serious protection. It does not work if you stumble into a bear while in wind, or a bear that really intends to be a problem.

It lets you get rid of pests and that's about it.

Try flying with it. A lot of AK is accessed by air and you cannot fly commercially with it. Small planes must be extremely careful with it...

I think I'm the odd one here - Taurus Ti short barrel in .... 41 Rem mag. 250gr hardcast (Federal.) We do carry spray when hiking and usually have two dogs about, so our bear encounters are infrequent.

I chose the little 41 because it's not so big that I'll leave it at home, and I view it as a last resort. If I do use it, it will be at close range. I think that the 2.5" ported barrel may blind and deafen a bear, doing about as much damage as the bullet.
Been carrying a .44 SBH with 320gr Backpacker rounds for years. I spend a lotta time out West, and I can honestly state it has stopped problems on 2 occasions.
Bear Spray?
Inadvertently get between a coastal brown bear and her cubs, and report back as to how well a can of spray assuaged her instinctual rage......If you're able.
RE rolling with a bear, I"ve often considered that one probably really should lanyard the handgun too for that instance.
More important than what you pack is gaining the skills to use a handgun effectively. Having observed many shooters at the handgun range over several decades I've concluded few of them have any hope of using a handgun to effectively protect themselves from danger. Being skilled with a handgun takes a fair amount of time to develop, and takes continual practice to keep those skills sharp. I can not have fired a rifle in a year and still be fairly competent with it. With a handgun if I'm not practicing weekly my skills deteriorate. So if you choose to carry a handgun for self protection, plan on developing the skills to use it effectively or else it will be a false sense of security.

Of the cartridges the. OP listed in the title I would choose the 454 load with the 360 grain WLN between 1300 to no more than 1400 fps.
Better yet is a 480, 475, or 500 properly loaded and accurately shot.

You chose wisely.
http://www.ktuu.com/news/news/slana-man-medevaced-after-bear-attack/26665594
Originally Posted by cwh2

With the original grips, pretty nasty. With X-Frame grips, it's like getting hugged by Kate Upton.

I agree, but actually have experience with the 329 (as opposed to Kate Upton.....but doesn't she seem friendly)
Originally Posted by docdb
I agree, but actually have experience with the 329 (as opposed to Kate Upton.....but doesn't she seem friendly)

Kate recoils at your approach? smile
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by dawaba

Having been there twice when bear spray was used under ideal conditions I find it humorous they still sell the stuff as serious protection. It does not work if you stumble into a bear while in wind, or a bear that really intends to be a problem.

It lets you get rid of pests and that's about it.

Try flying with it. A lot of AK is accessed by air and you cannot fly commercially with it. Small planes must be extremely careful with it...

This is news to me. I have flown on Ward Air, Wings of Alaska, Loken Air, and Alaska Seaplanes never an issue with bear spray.
It cannot go inside the plane...

And how recently are you talking?
For me personally about 9 months ago. For other family members a few weeks ago.
I would not want to fly in a plane that had bear spray inside the cabin. There are a jillion other illegal substances that would not trouble me in the least.
I used to get bear spray for free from the confiscation pile at Air Taxi terminals. I can't imagine a pilot would be too happy to deal with that inside a small plane.
Originally Posted by docdb

She does seem friendly. Not sure how useful she'd be for bear protection, but I have some really good ideas on how to test that.
I used to get bear spray for free from the confiscation pile at Air Taxi terminals. I can't imagine a pilot would be too happy to deal with that inside a small plane.

Former co-worker was fishing on the Russian and somehow he managed to loose the safety clip on his bear spray he carried on his hip. Upon sitting down in his car the bear spray discharged. He was incapacitated for some time.

I wouldn't be real keen on being in a plane and having the pilot getting a whiff of that crap while in the air.
Originally Posted by colorado
I carry a 1911 45. I'm comfortable and accurate with it. I shoot 230g bonded Golden Sabres for both two legged and four legged issues.

I've killed a couple of Whitetails with the 230gr Golden Saber out of one of my 1911's, and several feral hogs, too. Great expansion, but not so great Penatration. Ive never had one exit a whitetaiI or a hog. I have no problem with using them on 2 legged critters, but for an Alaskan Brown Bear, or a Kodiak, that bullet would damn sure not be my first choice, unless it was the ONLY choice I had.

If my 1911 was all I had to pack in Alaska, I'd highly reccomend the Buffalo Bore 255 grain
Hard Cast Flat Nose round at 960 fps for Penatration. Ammo is cheap compared to an ER visit IF you survive a bear attack after using Golden Sabers. JMHO wink
As I said in my post, I have never had to try to stop a bear, but have to try to learn from the experts- I think i have read Phil Shoemaker carries both bear spray and a handgun when fishing, and I know a couple of friends that have stopped bears with spray. Also, a couple of agencies, I think from Alaska, have tallied results on many bear attacks and have found bear spray to have worked better than guns stopping bear attacks. Most bear attacks that occur in Montana where someone tries to use a gun to stop a bear do not end well. If someone else wants to rely on a gun, any type of gun, that's fine with me. I'll carry both and use the spray as my first line of defense.
Bear spray does require some caution- My girlfriends grandson unleashed some on his brother in the back seat of my Tundra to no good results!
The problem with the spray "results" is the lack of vetting. I have read internet tales of the incredible spray turning bears at 100 yards. If you happen to be a dipschit like Herrero and do not want bears shot the level of interaction equaling "attack" is very low in spray encounters.

The times I have looked into the claims about spray effectiveness it was pretty obvious there was an agenda involved.

The two times I saw bear spray used on problem bears it did not impress me at all. It did not save the life of either bear. In a serious attack I just do not feel the spray is anything more than false confidence.

For shooing off curious bears and the ones that are not really charging I think it is marvelous stuff.
Herrero certainly has an agenda. I don't put much value in what he says. He obviously values the bears life more than peoples life. Same kind of guy that is looking for what the person "did wrong" to be worthy of being mauled.

Most people also don't pay attention to the expiration date of the spray and they don't shake it regularly. Folks in Barrow tried it a couple of times on polar bears and had no faith in it what so ever.

Curious bears tend to make me more nervous as most bears aren't, especially black bears. The ones that are too curious will come back when the spray wears off. Young grizzlies can get curious but they do pretty good keeping their space, at least the ones I've run into. Most people have a hard time taking wind and such into consideration when things get tense.

I've very hard pressed to believe spray works at 100 yards. Maybe to bother your neighbors when you are experimenting. smile
Aggressive bears or even just curious/naive bears are best kept at arm's length in my opinion. To that end I have always felt that cracking primers was the most reliable way to do that.

Noise alone seems hardly effective if at all. Shooting rocks or gravel (with splattering lead-cored bullets) near potential offenders has been the most effective way to keep them at bay - in spite of some dirty looks sometimes. wink We have also had good luck with cracker shells. Also plain old birdshot shells have worked if the bears are close enough to feel some sting (although its questionable how good an idea that in in the long term and for several reasons.) I have never used rubber projectiles but now have a few on hand and may get the opportunity to see how well they work this summer.
Sometimes weapons don`t make a differance when a bear is already on you.

ANCHORAGE, Alaska - A 66-year-old rural Alaska man
walked 900 yards back to his home after he was mauled
by a brown bear.

Alaska State Troopers said Andre Siegenthaler
suffered serious but non-life-threatening injuries in the
Tuesday incident near the village of Slana, located
about 250 miles northeast of Anchorage or 100 miles
west of the Canadian border.

Siegenthaler was
reportedly in
stable condition
Wednesday at a
Wasilla hospital,
Anchorage
television station
KTUU reported
(http://is.gd/aslhNd). Officials
at Mat-Su Regional Medical Center refused to release
any information about Siegenthaler to The Associated
Press on Wednesday.

The attack happened Tuesday afternoon as
Siegenthaler went to pick up some nails from a
neighbor, Ed Bullock.

Bullock said he got his information after speaking to
Siegenthaler's wife, Briggita.

"The bear attacked with no warning from behind a
spruce tree, and even though Andre was carrying bear
spray, the attack happened faster than Andre could
react," Bullock told KTUU. "Within two bounds the bear
was on Andre."

Siegenthaler suffered bites to his right hip, both
shoulders and arms, and had damage to both cheeks
and an ear, Bullock said.

He was able to walk home after the bear broke off the
attack, and his wife called 911. Troopers did not
respond to the incident other than to arrange a medical
transport, spokeswoman Beth Ipsen said.

Troopers don't plan to locate or track the bear.

http://www.newsminer.com/news/alask...5-11e3-bab7-001a4bcf6878.html?TNNoMobile
Good grief, what a buncha pansys! I don't carry anything! If the need arises, I just pick up a big switch!
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
The problem with the spray "results" is the lack of vetting. I have read internet tales of the incredible spray turning bears at 100 yards. If you happen to be a dipschit like Herrero and do not want bears shot the level of interaction equaling "attack" is very low in spray encounters.

The times I have looked into the claims about spray effectiveness it was pretty obvious there was an agenda involved.

The two times I saw bear spray used on problem bears it did not impress me at all. It did not save the life of either bear. In a serious attack I just do not feel the spray is anything more than false confidence.

For shooing off curious bears and the ones that are not really charging I think it is marvelous stuff.

This is spot on IMHO
I carry a S&W 629 w/ a 6"barrel. I load it w/ 305gr Federal Cast Core bullets. Never had to use it....thank goodness!
When I fish Alaska I carry a S&W model 657-41mag 6" barrel .265gr buffalo bullets. Low recoil and I shoot it well.Have plenty of faith in it.
Originally Posted by waterrat
I carry a 4" S&w 45 long Colt with a hard cast 300gr bullet @ 900fps.. I've not had to use it in self defense but in general plinking I've found it penetrates pretty darn good!

I too carry the 45 long Colt like Jim. My wheel weights come in at about 310 gr. I always carry a fresh bear spray strong side and the Ruger cross.
Hope I never need to use either one!
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by colorado

I've killed a couple of Whitetails with the 230gr Golden Saber out of one of my 1911's, and several feral hogs, too. Great expansion, but not so great Penatration. Ive never had one exit a whitetaiI or a hog. I have no problem with using them on 2 legged critters, but for an Alaskan Brown Bear, or a Kodiak, that bullet would damn sure not be my first choice, unless it was the ONLY choice I had.

If my 1911 was all I had to pack in Alaska, I'd highly reccomend the Buffalo Bore 255 grain
Hard Cast Flat Nose round at 960 fps for Penatration. Ammo is cheap compared to an ER visit IF you survive a bear attack after using Golden Sabers. JMHO wink

I like your choice of ammo, and will try it at the range. My normal carry gun is a Springfield Pro, but for hunting and backcountry use I have a stainless V16 LongSlide that was built for 45 Super. Recoil should be mild in that gun even with the Buffalo Bore ammo.

[Linked Image]
The Springfield V-16 Longslides were great pistols ! Wished I had hung on to mine. It was very accurate. It ought to be a pleasure to shoot with the heavy Buffalo Bore load.
© 24hourcampfire