-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Aggressive bears or even just curious/naive bears are best kept at arm's length in my opinion. To that end I have always felt that cracking primers was the most reliable way to do that.

Noise alone seems hardly effective if at all. Shooting rocks or gravel (with splattering lead-cored bullets) near potential offenders has been the most effective way to keep them at bay - in spite of some dirty looks sometimes. wink We have also had good luck with cracker shells. Also plain old birdshot shells have worked if the bears are close enough to feel some sting (although its questionable how good an idea that in in the long term and for several reasons.) I have never used rubber projectiles but now have a few on hand and may get the opportunity to see how well they work this summer.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
GB1

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Sometimes weapons don`t make a differance when a bear is already on you.

ANCHORAGE, Alaska - A 66-year-old rural Alaska man
walked 900 yards back to his home after he was mauled
by a brown bear.

Alaska State Troopers said Andre Siegenthaler
suffered serious but non-life-threatening injuries in the
Tuesday incident near the village of Slana, located
about 250 miles northeast of Anchorage or 100 miles
west of the Canadian border.

Siegenthaler was
reportedly in
stable condition
Wednesday at a
Wasilla hospital,
Anchorage
television station
KTUU reported
(http://is.gd/aslhNd). Officials
at Mat-Su Regional Medical Center refused to release
any information about Siegenthaler to The Associated
Press on Wednesday.

The attack happened Tuesday afternoon as
Siegenthaler went to pick up some nails from a
neighbor, Ed Bullock.

Bullock said he got his information after speaking to
Siegenthaler's wife, Briggita.

"The bear attacked with no warning from behind a
spruce tree, and even though Andre was carrying bear
spray, the attack happened faster than Andre could
react," Bullock told KTUU. "Within two bounds the bear
was on Andre."

Siegenthaler suffered bites to his right hip, both
shoulders and arms, and had damage to both cheeks
and an ear, Bullock said.

He was able to walk home after the bear broke off the
attack, and his wife called 911. Troopers did not
respond to the incident other than to arrange a medical
transport, spokeswoman Beth Ipsen said.

Troopers don't plan to locate or track the bear.

http://www.newsminer.com/news/alask...5-11e3-bab7-001a4bcf6878.html?TNNoMobile

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Good grief, what a buncha pansys! I don't carry anything! If the need arises, I just pick up a big switch!

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
The problem with the spray "results" is the lack of vetting. I have read internet tales of the incredible spray turning bears at 100 yards. If you happen to be a dipschit like Herrero and do not want bears shot the level of interaction equaling "attack" is very low in spray encounters.

The times I have looked into the claims about spray effectiveness it was pretty obvious there was an agenda involved.

The two times I saw bear spray used on problem bears it did not impress me at all. It did not save the life of either bear. In a serious attack I just do not feel the spray is anything more than false confidence.

For shooing off curious bears and the ones that are not really charging I think it is marvelous stuff.

This is spot on IMHO

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I carry a S&W 629 w/ a 6"barrel. I load it w/ 305gr Federal Cast Core bullets. Never had to use it....thank goodness!

IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
When I fish Alaska I carry a S&W model 657-41mag 6" barrel .265gr buffalo bullets. Low recoil and I shoot it well.Have plenty of faith in it.

Q
Q
Originally Posted by waterrat
I carry a 4" S&w 45 long Colt with a hard cast 300gr bullet @ 900fps.. I've not had to use it in self defense but in general plinking I've found it penetrates pretty darn good!

I too carry the 45 long Colt like Jim. My wheel weights come in at about 310 gr. I always carry a fresh bear spray strong side and the Ruger cross.
Hope I never need to use either one!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by colorado
I carry a 1911 45. I'm comfortable and accurate with it. I shoot 230g bonded Golden Sabres for both two legged and four legged issues.

I've killed a couple of Whitetails with the 230gr Golden Saber out of one of my 1911's, and several feral hogs, too. Great expansion, but not so great Penatration. Ive never had one exit a whitetaiI or a hog. I have no problem with using them on 2 legged critters, but for an Alaskan Brown Bear, or a Kodiak, that bullet would damn sure not be my first choice, unless it was the ONLY choice I had.

If my 1911 was all I had to pack in Alaska, I'd highly reccomend the Buffalo Bore 255 grain
Hard Cast Flat Nose round at 960 fps for Penatration. Ammo is cheap compared to an ER visit IF you survive a bear attack after using Golden Sabers. JMHO wink

I like your choice of ammo, and will try it at the range. My normal carry gun is a Springfield Pro, but for hunting and backcountry use I have a stainless V16 LongSlide that was built for 45 Super. Recoil should be mild in that gun even with the Buffalo Bore ammo.

[Linked Image]

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The Springfield V-16 Longslides were great pistols ! Wished I had hung on to mine. It was very accurate. It ought to be a pleasure to shoot with the heavy Buffalo Bore load.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 59 invisible), 2,481 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,771
Posts18,515,595
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.