Home
Posted By: 41rem Turret Reloading Press - 01/20/23
Going to upgrade my single stage Lyman Crusher 2 with a turret style press later this year. Any users please chime in on what you like or dislike on your current presses.

I’d love to hear some feedback 🤨

Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Turret Reloading Press - 01/21/23
I have the Lee Classic cast 4 hole press. I disengaged the progressive bar and use it like a quick-change single stage.

I batch my processes anyway.

P
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Turret Reloading Press - 01/21/23
I have been running a Redding T-7 the last few years. I like it a lot. Like all the Redding stuff (IME) it's a quality piece of equipment.
I don't have any particular way I use it all the time. Usually, with rifle brass, I will resize/deprime and reprime in one operation, then set it up with powder measure and bullet seating die and charge and seat bullets in the next set up. Sometimes I run it "semi-progressive" with straight wall and handgun brass. The biggest trick to running it that way is the fact that the primer feed tube runs straight up and down and it takes a little fussing around to get the powder measure to fit around it. There are work-arounds, but if you're doing that you need to pay close attention to what you're doing.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Turret Reloading Press - 01/21/23
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
I have the Lee Classic cast 4 hole press. I disengaged the progressive bar and use it like a quick-change single stage.

P
This. I have also removed the progressive bar. It keeps all of the dies a person would need on one quick change turret

kwg
Posted By: memtb Re: Turret Reloading Press - 01/21/23
I started with the little Lyman AA press around 1970 ish and loaded many thousands of rounds with it. I upgraded to a then new Lyman 6 station turret press about 20 years ago. I love the turret presses, they’re practical as you can set up without any adjustments 3 different rifle cartridge die sets or 2 - 3 die sets. The newer ones have plenty of strength (less flex) to do anything required in typical hand loading!

My old AA press has been regulated to straight wall handgun cases….as it does have a little “flex” on large bottleneck rifle cases!

Maybe if I were swaying bullets, ect. I “may” want an O type press…..but not needed presently! memtb
Posted By: leemar28 Re: Turret Reloading Press - 01/21/23
I started years ago with a Lyman Spar T press. Moved up to a Redding T7. Handles everything from .38spcl to .375 H&H. Easy to use. Primer feed is excellent. Lots of throat room. Can't imagine using anything else.
Posted By: chesterwy Re: Turret Reloading Press - 01/21/23
I use the Lyman brass smith turret press. 👍🏻👍🏻
Posted By: Dave_Spn Re: Turret Reloading Press - 01/21/23
Redding T7. I've been using one for 15 years or so.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Turret Reloading Press - 01/21/23
I passed up a used Ponsness Warren the other day and I think I am going back to get it. It isn’t a turret, but a well machined lateral sliding mechanism that is similar to a turret, but faster…
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Turret Reloading Press - 01/21/23
I use two presses. A RCBS Reloader Special that I have had for about 40 years, that I use for decapping, resizing, priming, crimping, and anything else that might be needed. I have a Lyman turret press and I keep the bullet seating dies that I use the most on it. I probably need to rethink this setup, but I'm so used to it, that I guess I'm just too lazy to change.
Posted By: devnull Re: Turret Reloading Press - 01/21/23
I went to a Lyman All American 8 turret press recently. In fact, I had an older Lyman T-Spar turret and called Lyman for parts. With it being discontinued and they no longer offering parts, they offered me the All American for a bargain basement price. It might be worth calling Lyman and telling them you want to upgrade from your Crusher.

The All American 8 is an excellent press. I've found it to be the equivalent to a Redding T-7 for less money.
Posted By: hanco Re: Turret Reloading Press - 01/21/23
Redding
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Turret Reloading Press - 01/21/23
Originally Posted by devnull
I went to a Lyman All American 8 turret press recently. In fact, I had an older Lyman T-Spar turret and called Lyman for parts. With it being discontinued and they no longer offering parts, they offered me the All American for a bargain basement price. It might be worth calling Lyman and telling them you want to upgrade from your Crusher.

The All American 8 is an excellent press. I've found it to be the equivalent to a Redding T-7 for less money.

Have you checked to see if the turret is rocking any? There have been reports of some individual units where the turrets are tilting back with pressure from sizing. Other users don’t seem to have problem.
Posted By: devnull Re: Turret Reloading Press - 01/21/23
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Have you checked to see if the turret is rocking any? There have been reports of some individual units where the turrets are tilting back with pressure from sizing. Other users don’t seem to have problem.

I have checked with my eye and do not notice it. Maybe a dial indicator will tell a different story.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Turret Reloading Press - 01/21/23

Casey,

I haven't encountered that problem with the Lyman AA 8 I've been using for 3-4 years now.

Have two turret presses, mostly because I have two reloading rooms--one in the garage and one in the basement. The Lyman is in the garage, and the Redding T7 that I've had for maybe 15 years in the basement. I checked both of them for consistency in every hole for resizing and straight bullet seating, and both were as precise as a good single-hole--and still are.

I like 'em because for years I was often loading 2-3 cartridges at a time, due to various writing assignments, and it was MUCH handier to keep all the dies in one press than keep switching 'em. Oh, and both have a Lee decapping die more-or-less permanently in one hole.
Posted By: bgcatty Re: Turret Reloading Press - 01/21/23
Dillon 550c the most versatile “turret” press out there!
Posted By: TonyRumore Re: Turret Reloading Press - 01/21/23
I've been using a Redding T7 for about 10 years. No complaints.

Tony
Posted By: drop_point Re: Turret Reloading Press - 01/21/23
I’m using an Area 419 Zero. It’s the best press I’ve ever used. It has all the advantages of a single-stage, but replaceable turrets akin to a Dillon tool head.

You may also consider keeping the single-stage and picking up a progressive instead. That opens a lot of doors, especially for bulk brass processing.
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Turret Reloading Press - 01/22/23
John, I thought the Brass Smith AA8 turret was a slightly redesigned version of the All American turret press?

Or did they just give it a new name?
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Turret Reloading Press - 01/22/23
John, I thought the Brass Smith AA8 turret was a slightly redesigned version of the All American turret press?

Or did they just give it a new name?

I have no idea--but from the photos on the Lyman site they certainly have, probably because they could start another ad campaign.
Posted By: erich Re: Turret Reloading Press - 01/22/23
My first turret press was the Lyman TruLine Jr. With an aftermarket 4 hole 7/8x14 head. I still have it loaded with Lee Quick Trim dies.

Then it was a Lyman All American that I used until Lee came out with the Cast Classic 4 hole press.

I have two of the Lee presses on the bench with 9 heads. I leave one set up with a 378 size shell holder And the other with a 473. One end of the bench skinny cartridges and.the other end fat one. Bothe have the auto-rotate disabled.

I also have a Lyman Crusher single stage set up for heavy case forming.

I've gone through a lot of presses in the past 61 years of reloading, this set up works great for me.
Posted By: Teal Re: Turret Reloading Press - 01/22/23
Originally Posted by drop_point
I’m using an Area 419 Zero. It’s the best press I’ve ever used. It has all the advantages of a single-stage, but replaceable turrets akin to a Dillon tool head.

You may also consider keeping the single-stage and picking up a progressive instead. That opens a lot of doors, especially for bulk brass processing.

Been looking at this too. Substantial bit of kit
Posted By: papat Re: Turret Reloading Press - 01/22/23
I don't see how they can come any better than the Redding T7. Been loading for about 12 years with it and it is a delight. Along with my 550b and my Rock Chucker and a single stage CH I can do anything I want.
Posted By: ClarkEMyers Re: Turret Reloading Press - 01/23/23
What to your mind justifies calling it an upgrade? No question well worth having but where is upgrade?

Nice to have for sure and I agree with the many folks above that a T7 is a handy thing to have on the bench. I also have a Harrell's 4 hole turret with interchangeable aluminum turrets that works well and is my most used for short cases with a short throw lever and a Hollywood Universal turret with big holes and a variety of primer punches if domed primers ever come back. All are sufficiently precise for my needs and I'm not going to buy anything beyond the T7. I know that other T7 presses in commercial use have loaded a million cartridges and still good as new. I don't expect the aluminum Harrell to last quite as long but certainly my lifetime. If price were no object I might go beyond the T7. Whatever Gavin Gee is currently most excited about would be nice to have but for the money I'd buy a progressive which I did.

Bottom line, if you know you want a turret start with a T7. If you don't like it then trade it in sell it off for something more expensive but by that time you will know your own mind.
For what it’s worth, I really like my Lyman All American 8. It produces ammo that is every bit as accurate as my 30 year old Rockchucker and I never have to change dies. I really only reload 4 cartridges: .243, 30-06, .338 Winchester and .375 H&H so I don’t even have another turret for it, though that might be in the future if I start loading pistol ammo. It does all the heavy duty resizing I need with minimal fuss. I have never noticed any flex in the turret. I debated between the Lyman and the Redding and ultimately settled on the Lyman because eight stations made more sense than seven for what I do. The Redding has a wonderful reputation as a quality press but after two years and hundreds of rounds with the Lyman, it is hard for me to imagine the Redding is a significant step up in quality or, put another way, that any differences between the two would actually be manifest on paper or game. The Lyman was significantly less expensive than the Redding when I bought it. For me, with two young boys, that was also a consideration.

I don’t think you will go wrong with either one. Happy shooting!
Posted By: drop_point Re: Turret Reloading Press - 01/23/23
Originally Posted by Teal

Been looking at this too. Substantial bit of kit

It is very solid. I really like some of the small innovations from Area 419 as well. Their modular shell holder set, the flat platen shell holder, the ability to lock down the turret via torque wrench, it has a great feel and designed such that leverage shrinks at the top of the stroke with a solid stop but with some "give" to it. Its a lot of money, but worth it for my use.
Posted By: TwoCup Re: Turret Reloading Press - 01/23/23
The Lyman is obviously a copy of the Redding and is lighter, weighing a few pounds less. (23lbs vs. 27.5lbs) The Redding has a heavier frame where it counts at the intersection of the base with the mounting holes, and the upright, vertical part of the frame. From photos, the Redding is twice as thick there. I don't have a Lyman to compare to my Redding, but I'll bet you'd see a great deal more frame deflection when full length sizing a large case like a 30-06 or 300 WIN MAG. Just my 2¢ worth.
Posted By: StudDuck Re: Turret Reloading Press - 01/23/23
I just switched to a Redding T-7 and it's a big step up from a single-stage. I should've listened to the advice I was given and done it sooner.

My only complaint with the T7, since I prime by hand rather than on the press is how the priming arm is mounted, but I'll get used to working around it.

The T-7 should outlast me and the generation coming behind.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Turret Reloading Press - 01/23/23
If I was gonna buy a turret press it would be a T-7 Redding. I do have a Lee classic 4 hole and just like the others have deactivated the advancer. The holes in the turret are to close together to use any die lock ring other than Lee's. I'd also say the whole unit would be a hell of a lot better if Lee had used steel instead of aluminum for the turret. Just about 100 % of resizing activities are done on my RCBS Ammomaster and Big Max presses. CH H presses get the nod for my black powder case depriming and powder compression roles. Yes I like owning many different reloading setups. Mb
Posted By: lastround Re: Turret Reloading Press - 01/23/23
A Redding T7 is your huckleberry.
Posted By: 41rem Re: Turret Reloading Press - 01/23/23
Yeah, I’m not going to do the Lee press, for me it’s between the Lyman & the Redding. The Area 419 is too big of an expense for me to justify it.

Posted By: drop_point Re: Turret Reloading Press - 01/23/23
Originally Posted by 41rem
Yeah, I’m not going to do the Lee press, for me it’s between the Lyman & the Redding. The Area 419 is too big of an expense for me to justify it.

If you decide you like the Redding T7, check with Creedmoor Sports, they have some turret heads available that may be a significant improvement over the stock.
Originally Posted by shrapnel
I passed up a used Ponsness Warren the other day and I think I am going back to get it. It isn’t a turret, but a well machined lateral sliding mechanism that is similar to a turret, but faster…

Metallic II ?

I have a old version. Bought used without small primer feed parts. AFAIK PW discontinued the older primer feed parts so I made my own parts for small primers.

I love that old press.

Made a short operating handle as I don't resize on it at all.
Posted By: Dave_Spn Re: Turret Reloading Press - 01/24/23
Originally Posted by StudDuck
I just switched to a Redding T-7 and it's a big step up from a single-stage. I should've listened to the advice I was given and done it sooner.

My only complaint with the T7, since I prime by hand rather than on the press is how the priming arm is mounted, but I'll get used to working around it.

To be technical, a Redding T-7 is a single stage press.
Posted By: yobuck Re: Turret Reloading Press - 01/24/23
Going to upgrade my single stage Lyman Crusher 2 with a turret style press later this year. Any users please chime in on what you like or dislike on your current presses.

I’d love to hear some feedback 🤨

I would recommend you keep the old press and just use it for decapping all your different cases.
A decapping die will handle all of them except the very largest cases.
As for a turret press, ive been using a Redding for many years with no issues.
Posted By: StudDuck Re: Turret Reloading Press - 01/24/23
Originally Posted by Dave_Spn
Originally Posted by StudDuck

To be technical, a Redding T-7 is a single stage press.

Technically, you are correct.
Posted By: Soup Re: Turret Reloading Press - 01/24/23
Shrapnel,
I've got a PW Metallic II press and I've been using it for over 20years. Very strong.
Soup
Posted By: shaman Re: Turret Reloading Press - 01/24/23
If folks are reading this and wondering if a turret press might be a good idea, let me throw in a middle option between a single stage press and a turret.\

Hornady Lock-N-Load Press and Die Conversion Bushing Kit

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012999418/

[Linked Image from media.mwstatic.com]

I got into these after I purchased my LNL Progressive. They offer a quick-change alternative. There is a bushing that goes on the press and then one goes on each die. You can switch dies with just fingers and the settings stay constant. I've been using them for several years now on some of my hdie sets, and I can say only positive things about them. A 10-pack of bushings cost $60.
Posted By: Maxwell Re: Turret Reloading Press - 01/25/23
Originally Posted by shaman
If folks are reading this and wondering if a turret press might be a good idea, let me throw in a middle option between a single stage press and a turret.\

Hornady Lock-N-Load Press and Die Conversion Bushing Kit

I just posted this over in the reloading forum. I'm very curious why I don't hear more about these. They seem to offer all the benefits of a turret press (quick switching between dies without the need to adjust/set up) for considerably less money, both up-front and over time as dies are added. I've been using them on a RockChucker for a decade, and have almost no complaints.

My one complaint is that dies set up this way don't fit into Redding die boxes especially well. At all, really.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Turret Reloading Press - 01/25/23
Originally Posted by Soup
Shrapnel,
I've got a PW Metallic II press and I've been using it for over 20years. Very strong.
Soup

If I had known then what I know now, I would have gotten it. I did tell him I will get it, but he lives 300 miles away…
Posted By: bowmanh Re: Turret Reloading Press - 01/26/23
I don't have a turret press, but in addition to my Redding Big Boss II, I use a Dillon 750XL to load my pistol ammo which is what I shoot in the greatest volume.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Turret Reloading Press - 01/28/23

If you decide you like the Redding T7, check with Creedmoor Sports, they have some turret heads available that may be a significant improvement over the stock.

Thanks for that, I ordered the kit, the turret head, brass wax.

Will endeavour to save for an Area 419 ZERO.
Posted By: gnnrsig40 Re: Turret Reloading Press - 02/01/23
I have 2 Redding t7 presses, on both of them if you reach abound and put your finger on the spot where the turret rests on the frame while performing any step of your reloading procedures you can feel the movement or rocking of the turret. I use them for everything but seating bullets, although I realize that sizing cases might also be off a tiny bit. I think it’s “Creedmoor sports”that has a repair solution for that. I never bothered to buy the kits.
Posted By: RinB Re: Turret Reloading Press - 02/01/23
I compared the Redding T7 with my old Bonanza Co-Axial press. With the Co-Ax I set the dies and never need to readjust. Changing from one die to another takes about the same time as rotating the turret head. If I wanted to upgrade that would be my choice rather than any turret.

For really heavy work I have a Redding Ultramag.

I prefer those two over having any single press. Actually having two is the best “upgrade”.
Posted By: ClarkEMyers Re: Turret Reloading Press - 02/01/23
I have a CoAx and a T7 because I want to have Redding Instant Indicators setup at the same time I set my dies for the CoAx. I like the Harrell's 4 station turret for shorter cases and portable loading. I like a progressive for production. There is no single best and many good enough. I don't doubt the shockingly expensive single stage presses are fairly priced for what you get. I started loading with a Lyman 310 Nutcracker when that was a low cost alternative rather than a special interest collector's item. At today's prices for old C presses having a dedicated press for decapping or even a couple for different shell holders and case sizes makes a lot of sense.

I have yet to be persuaded that the thousand dollar single stage press makes more and better ammunition in the same time but I welcome folks who find it so in the product and not just indicating on the press.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Turret Reloading Press - 02/02/23
Originally Posted by gnnrsig40
I have 2 Redding t7 presses, on both of them if you reach abound and put your finger on the spot where the turret rests on the frame while performing any step of your reloading procedures you can feel the movement or rocking of the turret. I use them for everything but seating bullets, although I realize that sizing cases might also be off a tiny bit. I think it’s “Creedmoor sports”that has a repair solution for that. I never bothered to buy the kits.

I have had a T7 for at least 15 years, and possibly 20. While it hasn't loaded as many rounds as the semi-famous T7 that Sierra Bullets used to load a million cartridges without any problems, am sure it has loaded hundreds of thousands of rounds. Am going to see if I can feel the "rocking" you describe, but I use it to load the 6mm PPC rounds for my benchrest rifle, which average around .0005 bullet runout (yes, half of 1000th of an inch) on more than one gauge. Depending on the load, those rounds will also average .15 to .20 inch for 5-shot groups at 100 yards. The die used for bullet seating is a Redding Type S.
Posted By: MrMuskie Re: Turret Reloading Press - 02/02/23
Own 3, Only rock if nut is loose. Best turret made.
Posted By: rschmelzle Re: Turret Reloading Press - 02/02/23
Originally Posted by gnnrsig40

Got my t7 in 2009. Had a little play in it, I finally figured out that the bushing was a couple of thousandths proud of the thickness of the turret. A flat Diamond honing plate and some very careful polishing cured it. I have 3 turret heads and each one has it’s own custom fit bushing.

Bob
Posted By: MrMuskie Re: Turret Reloading Press - 02/02/23
Good point. Each bushing needs to be kept with its turret. Have 3 presses and 8 turrets.
Posted By: TwoCup Re: Turret Reloading Press - 02/02/23
Just noticed this latest conversation on the Redding T-7 turret press. The last two posters nailed it. If there is more clearance between the frame and turret than is desired, you can adjust the length/height of the central bushing in the turret to reduce this. Take a piece of 400 wet/dry abrasive paper and tape it to a thick piece of glass, spray with WD-40 and move the end of the bushing on the paper in a figure 8. Carefully measure the length of the bushing when you start and work down in .001" increments. STOP when you can feel a very slight resistance when rotating the turret. Obviously, if you reduce the length of the bushing too much, you won't be able to rotate the turret. One other thought, small changes to the turret/frame clearance can be made by adjusting the torque on the turret nut which will vary the "crush" of the bushing. I designed the T-7 and got the idea to have 7 die stations when shooting my 357 MAG S&W 686+ seven shot revolver.
Posted By: gnnrsig40 Re: Turret Reloading Press - 02/04/23
Thanks for the above information on the bushing thickness, now if I only had a micrometer that I could measure the turret thickness with. I will have to remedy that small problem and then look to tightening up my presses.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Turret Reloading Press - 03/09/23
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Finally got around to fitting the turret head and kit. The press seems to function a tad smoother and the metal (grating?) sound no longer exists, the lockup does seem to be more emphatic as well.

Simple to set up and apply...and the threaded handle is much nicer (stays put).

[Linked Image]
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Turret Reloading Press - 03/09/23
My concern with turret presses is wear. I think it’s probably a good idea to check for movement during operation on occasion.

Some of the methods described here seem to be good ideas.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Turret Reloading Press - 03/09/23
My concern with turret presses is wear. I think it’s probably a good idea to check for movement during operation on occasion.

I've been running a T7 for around 20 years now, and while it hasn't loaded as many cartridges as the one Sierra eventually retired after a million rounds, between load-testing for magazine articles and books, and a bunch of burrowing-rodent ammo, it has been quite a few. I have checked it for movement now now and then, and when I've felt a little play have tightened up the central bolt on the turret head.

Among many other cartridges, it's used to load the ammo for my 6mm PPC benchrest rifle, an antique itself. But when using Redding competition dies, the old T7 still makes ammo that groups five rounds well under .2 inch at 100 yards.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Turret Reloading Press - 03/09/23

P
This ^^ Same press and I also disconnected the progressive bar.

kwg
Posted By: ClarkEMyers Re: Turret Reloading Press - 03/09/23
I have no doubts any and all of my presses will be in fine shape when my heirs sell them cheap. I fear the shell holders and priming punches for the Hollywood Universal Turret will be separated but so be it. Nobody will be installing domed primers in 20years.

That said I use an aluminum Harrell's 4 station turret clamped next to my computer for a lot of first stage decapping and resizing pistol or short rifle cartridges before finishing on a progressive. I do feel guilty about using a more expensive fairly precision aluminum press that does not and is not made to handle used primers well. Used primer dust is both abrasive and lead styphenate filled and so to be avoided. A CoAx does decapping nicely, handles used primers better than any other and with a short handle is easy to use, with a long handle not so much, for decapping pistol cases. Just the same mounting a CoAx next to the computer is a non-starter.
Posted By: horse1 Re: Turret Reloading Press - 03/09/23
Place me in the Co-Ax camp.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Turret Reloading Press - 03/10/23
Originally Posted by horse1

Have tried a Co-Ax, and prefer turret presses. But different "strokes" for different folks....
Posted By: CRJ1960 Re: Turret Reloading Press - 03/10/23
Originally Posted by kwg020

P
This. I have also removed the progressive bar. It keeps all of the dies a person would need on one quick change turret

kwg

I use the same setup as well
Posted By: Wp75169 Re: Turret Reloading Press - 03/10/23
Having ther 419 zero, T7, and rockchucker I’ve decided the Zero was a waste of money for me. The T7 handles the convenience and the rockchucker the precision.
Posted By: Odessa Re: Turret Reloading Press - 03/10/23
Been using a Redding T-25 press for many years for my straight wall revolver loads, it’s the six hole turret press that preceded the T-7. If I ever wear it out going to get a T-7. I still use my original press (RockChucker bought in 1978) for bottleneck rifle loads.
Posted By: Cowboybart Re: Turret Reloading Press - 03/10/23
Ive been using the T-7 for 10 years now and like it. Additional heads can be expensive. I've looked at the Lyman 6 and 8 hole turrets and they seem to be a quality unit.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Turret Reloading Press - 03/10/23
I also have had a Lyman American 8 since they were introduced a few years ago, and its very well built.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Turret Reloading Press - 03/10/23
I’ve been using a Lee Classic 4 hole for many years for my handgun reloading with no complaint. I use a single stage for my rifle calibers.
Posted By: StudDuck Re: Turret Reloading Press - 03/10/23
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by horse1

Have tried a Co-Ax, and prefer turret presses. But different "strokes" for different folks....

Same here John.

I previously owned a Co-Ax and now have a T-7.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Turret Reloading Press - 03/11/23
The Co-Ax is a fine press--but one major reason I prefer the T7 is because for many years I was handloading a LOT of different cartridges for various magazine articles. With rifle dies I could keep three different sets in the press at once--along with a Lee decapping die.

This saved a lot of time when working on more than once article-project at the same time, or at least two when using a 3-die set when loading for handguns or straight-case rifle rounds. It saved considerable of time, even with the quick-change Co-Ax die system.
Posted By: jonesmd4 Re: Turret Reloading Press - 03/11/23
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I also have had a Lyman American 8 since they were introduced a few years ago, and its very well built.

I have the Lyman American 8 also with three turrets. I agree that it is well built. The only thing I don't like is the priming setup. It is in the way when putting brass in or out of the shell holder. I took it off and use my old Lee hand primer. My Rockchucker IV still gets a fair amount of use on odd ball calibers I don't have room for on the turrets and for reforming brass.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Turret Reloading Press - 03/12/23
I did the same thing with my Lyman 8--including using an older Lee hand primer! (I still have several.)

The T7's primer mechanism works pretty well....
Posted By: DocRocket Re: Turret Reloading Press - 03/13/23
I've had the Redding T-7 for about 14 years. It's an excellent choice. I haven't tried the Lyman 8, but I'm a fan of Lyman products in general, and I hear it's great as well.

I keep my T-7 permanently set up with a Lee Decapping die in one position, and then rotate various cartridge dies in the other 6 positions. I used to load for a lot more calibers than I do now, and load development was a big part of my shooting routine, so I'd be going back and forth between one to three calibers on a regular basis. I recently started a new load development project for 6.5 Creedmoor (which was accelerated considerably by Mule Deer's load recommendations for the caliber in Gun Gack IV, thanks a lot JB!) and discovered that my .223 dies haven't been dismounted from the turret in so long I can't find the box! Apparently I load a LOT of small batches of .223.
Posted By: ldholton Re: Turret Reloading Press - 03/16/23
made a bulk purchase of bullets primers powder and some other tooling that will be picking up this Saturday on a road trip. and in the stuff is a newer RCBS turret press. is this something I want to keep and use or is this something would want to pedal at a gun show?
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Turret Reloading Press - 04/13/23

Finally got around to fitting the turret head and kit. The press seems to function a tad smoother and the metal (grating?) sound no longer exists, the lockup does seem to be more emphatic as well.

Simple to set up and apply...and the threaded handle is much nicer (stays put).

[Linked Image]

Screw it, went for the whole hog.

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire