Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I don't have a turret press, but in addition to my Redding Big Boss II, I use a Dillon 750XL to load my pistol ammo which is what I shoot in the greatest volume.

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by drop_point
Originally Posted by 41rem
Yeah, I’m not going to do the Lee press, for me it’s between the Lyman & the Redding. The Area 419 is too big of an expense for me to justify it.

If you decide you like the Redding T7, check with Creedmoor Sports, they have some turret heads available that may be a significant improvement over the stock.

Thanks for that, I ordered the kit, the turret head, brass wax.

Will endeavour to save for an Area 419 ZERO.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I have 2 Redding t7 presses, on both of them if you reach abound and put your finger on the spot where the turret rests on the frame while performing any step of your reloading procedures you can feel the movement or rocking of the turret. I use them for everything but seating bullets, although I realize that sizing cases might also be off a tiny bit. I think it’s “Creedmoor sports”that has a repair solution for that. I never bothered to buy the kits.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I compared the Redding T7 with my old Bonanza Co-Axial press. With the Co-Ax I set the dies and never need to readjust. Changing from one die to another takes about the same time as rotating the turret head. If I wanted to upgrade that would be my choice rather than any turret.

For really heavy work I have a Redding Ultramag.

I prefer those two over having any single press. Actually having two is the best “upgrade”.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have a CoAx and a T7 because I want to have Redding Instant Indicators setup at the same time I set my dies for the CoAx. I like the Harrell's 4 station turret for shorter cases and portable loading. I like a progressive for production. There is no single best and many good enough. I don't doubt the shockingly expensive single stage presses are fairly priced for what you get. I started loading with a Lyman 310 Nutcracker when that was a low cost alternative rather than a special interest collector's item. At today's prices for old C presses having a dedicated press for decapping or even a couple for different shell holders and case sizes makes a lot of sense.

I have yet to be persuaded that the thousand dollar single stage press makes more and better ammunition in the same time but I welcome folks who find it so in the product and not just indicating on the press.

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by gnnrsig40
I have 2 Redding t7 presses, on both of them if you reach abound and put your finger on the spot where the turret rests on the frame while performing any step of your reloading procedures you can feel the movement or rocking of the turret. I use them for everything but seating bullets, although I realize that sizing cases might also be off a tiny bit. I think it’s “Creedmoor sports”that has a repair solution for that. I never bothered to buy the kits.

I have had a T7 for at least 15 years, and possibly 20. While it hasn't loaded as many rounds as the semi-famous T7 that Sierra Bullets used to load a million cartridges without any problems, am sure it has loaded hundreds of thousands of rounds. Am going to see if I can feel the "rocking" you describe, but I use it to load the 6mm PPC rounds for my benchrest rifle, which average around .0005 bullet runout (yes, half of 1000th of an inch) on more than one gauge. Depending on the load, those rounds will also average .15 to .20 inch for 5-shot groups at 100 yards. The die used for bullet seating is a Redding Type S.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Own 3, Only rock if nut is loose. Best turret made.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Originally Posted by gnnrsig40

Got my t7 in 2009. Had a little play in it, I finally figured out that the bushing was a couple of thousandths proud of the thickness of the turret. A flat Diamond honing plate and some very careful polishing cured it. I have 3 turret heads and each one has it’s own custom fit bushing.

Bob

Last edited by rschmelzle; 02/01/23.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Good point. Each bushing needs to be kept with its turret. Have 3 presses and 8 turrets.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Just noticed this latest conversation on the Redding T-7 turret press. The last two posters nailed it. If there is more clearance between the frame and turret than is desired, you can adjust the length/height of the central bushing in the turret to reduce this. Take a piece of 400 wet/dry abrasive paper and tape it to a thick piece of glass, spray with WD-40 and move the end of the bushing on the paper in a figure 8. Carefully measure the length of the bushing when you start and work down in .001" increments. STOP when you can feel a very slight resistance when rotating the turret. Obviously, if you reduce the length of the bushing too much, you won't be able to rotate the turret. One other thought, small changes to the turret/frame clearance can be made by adjusting the torque on the turret nut which will vary the "crush" of the bushing. I designed the T-7 and got the idea to have 7 die stations when shooting my 357 MAG S&W 686+ seven shot revolver.

IC B3

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Thanks for the above information on the bushing thickness, now if I only had a micrometer that I could measure the turret thickness with. I will have to remedy that small problem and then look to tightening up my presses.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Thanks for that, I ordered the kit, the turret head, brass wax.

Will endeavour to save for an Area 419 ZERO.

Finally got around to fitting the turret head and kit. The press seems to function a tad smoother and the metal (grating?) sound no longer exists, the lockup does seem to be more emphatic as well.

Simple to set up and apply...and the threaded handle is much nicer (stays put).

[Linked Image]

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
My concern with turret presses is wear. I think it’s probably a good idea to check for movement during operation on occasion.

Some of the methods described here seem to be good ideas.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
My concern with turret presses is wear. I think it’s probably a good idea to check for movement during operation on occasion.

I've been running a T7 for around 20 years now, and while it hasn't loaded as many cartridges as the one Sierra eventually retired after a million rounds, between load-testing for magazine articles and books, and a bunch of burrowing-rodent ammo, it has been quite a few. I have checked it for movement now now and then, and when I've felt a little play have tightened up the central bolt on the turret head.

Among many other cartridges, it's used to load the ammo for my 6mm PPC benchrest rifle, an antique itself. But when using Redding competition dies, the old T7 still makes ammo that groups five rounds well under .2 inch at 100 yards.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
I have the Lee Classic cast 4 hole press. I disengaged the progressive bar and use it like a quick-change single stage.

I batch my processes anyway.

P
This ^^ Same press and I also disconnected the progressive bar.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have no doubts any and all of my presses will be in fine shape when my heirs sell them cheap. I fear the shell holders and priming punches for the Hollywood Universal Turret will be separated but so be it. Nobody will be installing domed primers in 20years.

That said I use an aluminum Harrell's 4 station turret clamped next to my computer for a lot of first stage decapping and resizing pistol or short rifle cartridges before finishing on a progressive. I do feel guilty about using a more expensive fairly precision aluminum press that does not and is not made to handle used primers well. Used primer dust is both abrasive and lead styphenate filled and so to be avoided. A CoAx does decapping nicely, handles used primers better than any other and with a short handle is easy to use, with a long handle not so much, for decapping pistol cases. Just the same mounting a CoAx next to the computer is a non-starter.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Place me in the Co-Ax camp.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by horse1
Place me in the Co-Ax camp.

Have tried a Co-Ax, and prefer turret presses. But different "strokes" for different folks....

John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by kwg020
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
I have the Lee Classic cast 4 hole press. I disengaged the progressive bar and use it like a quick-change single stage.

I batch my processes anyway.

P
This. I have also removed the progressive bar. It keeps all of the dies a person would need on one quick change turret

kwg

I use the same setup as well

"You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crockett
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Having ther 419 zero, T7, and rockchucker I’ve decided the Zero was a waste of money for me. The T7 handles the convenience and the rockchucker the precision.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

523 members (1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 16gage, 160user, 53 invisible), 2,720 guests, and 1,193 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,365
Posts18,488,147
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.