Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
41rem Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Going to upgrade my single stage Lyman Crusher 2 with a turret style press later this year. Any users please chime in on what you like or dislike on your current presses.

I’d love to hear some feedback 🤨

We deal in lead, friend.
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have the Lee Classic cast 4 hole press. I disengaged the progressive bar and use it like a quick-change single stage.

I batch my processes anyway.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
I have been running a Redding T-7 the last few years. I like it a lot. Like all the Redding stuff (IME) it's a quality piece of equipment.
I don't have any particular way I use it all the time. Usually, with rifle brass, I will resize/deprime and reprime in one operation, then set it up with powder measure and bullet seating die and charge and seat bullets in the next set up. Sometimes I run it "semi-progressive" with straight wall and handgun brass. The biggest trick to running it that way is the fact that the primer feed tube runs straight up and down and it takes a little fussing around to get the powder measure to fit around it. There are work-arounds, but if you're doing that you need to pay close attention to what you're doing.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
I have the Lee Classic cast 4 hole press. I disengaged the progressive bar and use it like a quick-change single stage.

I batch my processes anyway.

P
This. I have also removed the progressive bar. It keeps all of the dies a person would need on one quick change turret

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I started with the little Lyman AA press around 1970 ish and loaded many thousands of rounds with it. I upgraded to a then new Lyman 6 station turret press about 20 years ago. I love the turret presses, they’re practical as you can set up without any adjustments 3 different rifle cartridge die sets or 2 - 3 die sets. The newer ones have plenty of strength (less flex) to do anything required in typical hand loading!

My old AA press has been regulated to straight wall handgun cases….as it does have a little “flex” on large bottleneck rifle cases!

Maybe if I were swaying bullets, ect. I “may” want an O type press…..but not needed presently! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 01/20/23.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I started years ago with a Lyman Spar T press. Moved up to a Redding T7. Handles everything from .38spcl to .375 H&H. Easy to use. Primer feed is excellent. Lots of throat room. Can't imagine using anything else.

Hang on tight !
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I use the Lyman brass smith turret press. 👍🏻👍🏻

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Redding T7. I've been using one for 15 years or so.

What if Jessie's girl is Stacy's mom, and her phone number is 867-5309
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I passed up a used Ponsness Warren the other day and I think I am going back to get it. It isn’t a turret, but a well machined lateral sliding mechanism that is similar to a turret, but faster…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use two presses. A RCBS Reloader Special that I have had for about 40 years, that I use for decapping, resizing, priming, crimping, and anything else that might be needed. I have a Lyman turret press and I keep the bullet seating dies that I use the most on it. I probably need to rethink this setup, but I'm so used to it, that I guess I'm just too lazy to change.

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I went to a Lyman All American 8 turret press recently. In fact, I had an older Lyman T-Spar turret and called Lyman for parts. With it being discontinued and they no longer offering parts, they offered me the All American for a bargain basement price. It might be worth calling Lyman and telling them you want to upgrade from your Crusher.

The All American 8 is an excellent press. I've found it to be the equivalent to a Redding T-7 for less money.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Redding

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by devnull
I went to a Lyman All American 8 turret press recently. In fact, I had an older Lyman T-Spar turret and called Lyman for parts. With it being discontinued and they no longer offering parts, they offered me the All American for a bargain basement price. It might be worth calling Lyman and telling them you want to upgrade from your Crusher.

The All American 8 is an excellent press. I've found it to be the equivalent to a Redding T-7 for less money.

Have you checked to see if the turret is rocking any? There have been reports of some individual units where the turrets are tilting back with pressure from sizing. Other users don’t seem to have problem.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Have you checked to see if the turret is rocking any? There have been reports of some individual units where the turrets are tilting back with pressure from sizing. Other users don’t seem to have problem.

I have checked with my eye and do not notice it. Maybe a dial indicator will tell a different story.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M

Casey,

I haven't encountered that problem with the Lyman AA 8 I've been using for 3-4 years now.

Have two turret presses, mostly because I have two reloading rooms--one in the garage and one in the basement. The Lyman is in the garage, and the Redding T7 that I've had for maybe 15 years in the basement. I checked both of them for consistency in every hole for resizing and straight bullet seating, and both were as precise as a good single-hole--and still are.

I like 'em because for years I was often loading 2-3 cartridges at a time, due to various writing assignments, and it was MUCH handier to keep all the dies in one press than keep switching 'em. Oh, and both have a Lee decapping die more-or-less permanently in one hole.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Dillon 550c the most versatile “turret” press out there!

If you do what you've always done, then you will get what you've always got.
Carpe Diem,
bgcatty
NRA Patriot Life Benefactor Member
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've been using a Redding T7 for about 10 years. No complaints.

Tony

Run it up, until you blow it up, then back it down a bit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’m using an Area 419 Zero. It’s the best press I’ve ever used. It has all the advantages of a single-stage, but replaceable turrets akin to a Dillon tool head.

You may also consider keeping the single-stage and picking up a progressive instead. That opens a lot of doors, especially for bulk brass processing.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
John, I thought the Brass Smith AA8 turret was a slightly redesigned version of the All American turret press?

Or did they just give it a new name?

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
John, I thought the Brass Smith AA8 turret was a slightly redesigned version of the All American turret press?

Or did they just give it a new name?

I have no idea--but from the photos on the Lyman site they certainly have, probably because they could start another ad campaign.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

212 members (afisher, 12344mag, 6mmbrfan, 257 roberts, 21, 2500HD, 20 invisible), 1,897 guests, and 1,036 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,085
Posts18,501,701
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.