Home
Some of you know that I turned 50 last Nov, yeah I know it's hard to believe. For my 50th my way better half told me that I could do one nice rifle, if I wanted... wink

Well I've a nice G33/40 that's fairly light, and I got to thinking about how I could get it lighter. Spose that turning 50 had anything to do with it?

I got to thinking (always a bad thing for me to do) about the idea of getting another rifle and having one fairly light rig, and then buy one that was really light. You know I have to be thinking about my wife and how she needs to have a light rifle to carry as well as I do right? I mean is it really ok for me to give her the heavier more capable magnum while I carry the light mtn rifle... wink

Guess to quit acting like a beagle (chasing wabbits) I could of ordered a NULA, I had the wifes blessings, but I didn't want to wait for a year or whatever it takes. I mean come on guys I'm at mid life, you'd think that by now I'd have some patience. So, I went the route of redoing the old Mauser, even though it was very good, and now it's 13 months later and the project still isn't done.

So here I am, could of had one of Mels rifles, and am still in a wait and am way over the idea of redoing the rifle. Plus now Anita has let me know that I get to carry the heavy mag as she's kind of taken with my .270 mtn gun.

Plus, today I ran into a used NULA in one of those dastardly 30 cals, although as much as I like the odd balls it was sort of ok (300 Dakota). Just kind of reminded me that by now...I would of received my rifle from Mel and I'd have two nice rifles and not still waiting to finish one.

Mentioned it to Anita, she said I should either sell more real estate and or just wait for another 50 years...

Bottom line, perhaps I should of been more patient.

Just some rambling thoughts from a fella at mid life, we're supposed to wisen up as we gain age right...?

Dober
We never smarten up when it comes to rifles Mark.

I feel your pain.
I remember when I could buy one of them for 2k new and didn't do it because I couldn't wait the x number of months for Melvin to build it. Getting older in some cases(mine) doesn't make you a heck of a lot wiser.
Of course, we could say that they were 2 K back then and that amounts to how much now...grin

Gotta find a way to justify it right.

Dober
Mark,

Oddly enough, I was just talking to Melvin earlier this week and he's finally decided to offer off-the-rack rifles.

He's been getting calls from people for years asking if he had something on hand, but decided to stick to the custom-order business. But recently the requests for something NOW have become more numerous, he guesses because of the economy: When people have the money for a rifle they want to spend it before it gets "diverted."

Anyway, when I talked to him he had (if I remember correctly) a couple of .30-06's, a .270, a 7mm-08 and .308 on hand. He'd also just ordered some more barrels from Douglas to make some more rifles. They'll all be in more-or-less common chamberings (no .300 Dakotas!) but if you can stand shooting a .270 Winchester (and I know YOU can) then you don't have to wait anymore--or rather, won't have to wait any longer than it takes UPS to deliver to Montana.
Hmm, Mel must be losing it a bit I don't see my beloved 7 Mashurn Super in that group. Spose anyone besides me would ever be wonky enough to even ask for one... crazy?

But, I give him point for doing the 06 Improved! ork ork ork

Good to hear John, Anita had told me to just call and ask if he one sitting looking for a friend but I said no.. he doesn't do that. Guess I don't know if I should or shouldn't tell her now.

Thx
Dober
I could almost "moon walk" myself on that news! Good to hear!
I'm sure Anita will be thrilled to hear the news...(grin)
(gulp)

nice for you. seriously.

Sammers you have no idea....she just said something about as soon as I get done with dinner that I need to go out and sell some property. And she said to be sure and tell JB thx...grin

Dober
Dober, I'll take the G33 off your hands and you can get the NULA, OK? grin

BTW, I thought the NULA bolt wasn't much to your liking?
Yep, except you won't get to pick options such as length of pull, etc. I suspect the same would be true of the paint job on the stock, but don't really know.
Mac,

Thx for the offer, but you don't get it till I'm really done remember. But trust me that rifle aint going no where's till then. Sure would love to see Magnum blow up an elk with it though.

If you recall you got me started on this whole light weight rifle deal, so you gotta back my play about needing two light weights.

One way or another I could or would deal with the bolt thing, and it's kind of tough to turn my G33 into a Mashburn...grin

Dober
Dober, I should remember this but what is your G33 chambered?

270 Win?
OK, OK, I can wait another 40 years grin

Magnum blowing up an elk with the G33 would be the best... now if we can just get the bugger to think like you and I!

Sorry about the lightweight bug... I got infected with it starting backpacking in the 70's and so far it hasn't been cured grin
Yepper Sammer, it's the good old 06 Improved... (aka the 06 right Mac)

Any of you guys ever tried his (Mels) bench rest thing, I think he called it the Wizzard or something like that. Long and the short I worked next to Mel and his wife at a sport show last year and I while I fondled his rifles I asked about one in a 375 or such and he said that his rest handled them well?

Anyone know what his rest is called and or used one?

Gracias

Dober
Speaking of lightweights, what persuaded you to get rid of the .308 MT?
A Pre-64 M70 was jangling my chain... among other things.
Mel's benchrest bag is called the Bench Wizard. It's essentially two medium-sized sandbags connected by another piece of leather just wide enough to get across the butt end of the rifle. You "wrap" the two sandbags around the butt.

The advantages are:

1) Length of pull isn't longer, unlike placing a bag between your shoulder and the buttstock.

2) The two bags widen the area of contact with your shoulder.

It works real well. I've got one and if you want to try it sometime I'd be happy to let you try it out.
Right on. I hear good things about that round.....(grin)
Bench Wizard. A friend has one. I used it a couple times but found no love. Someday I might come to admire it though! My 300WSM NULA is not fun at the bench but still doesn't kick like a slug gun or 3.5" turkey gun.

When I got the WSM from Melvin it was in stock, available NOW! I couldn't believe he had one, in LH ready to go. I think it was one of his SHOT show demo's? Shipped in a week, nice.
Lawdwaz-how many down does your 300 shorty hold?

Thx
Dober
Once you get used to a Bench Wizard it works quite well, but it is a different concept than most shoulder protectors.

Once in a while Melvin has had a rifle on the rack, usually a SHOT demo as you suggest, but he is going to make a bigger inventory available now. I would imagine some will be .300 WSM's and .300 Winchesters.
2 down.
I could love a M20 in 7WSM. C'mon Mark, buy one! grin
Mark,

When I ordered my most recent NULA the wait was 5 months. I haven't asked Melvin recently if it has grown, but I expect it is still less than your G33 wait. Plus you get the NULA recoil-eating stock.

Having stuff available is a good marketing move.

jim
Zeesh Rick, you're a ton load of help aint ya. You do need to buy some land in Montana right... grin
I just happen to know of the perfect 20 right next where the elky's a lope roam.

Dober
HJ-what cal?

Also, did you ever sort out that muley tag deal?

Dober
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Zeesh Rick, you're a ton load of help aint ya. You do need to buy some land in Montana right... grin
I just happen to know of the perfect 20 right next where the elky's a lope roam.

Dober
Someday buddy, someday. I'd love to do that.

That sounds great. 20 acres, I expect I could get a guide and sometimes hunting pal who I could pay in MacIntosh currency! grin

And the rest of the crowd says...What's he talking about?"
Big time deal!

MacIntosh is the very best kind of payola...grin

Dober
Some of you know that I turned 50 last Nov, yeah I know it's hard to believe. For my 50th my way better half told me that I could do one nice rifle, if I wanted... wink

Well I've a nice G33/40 that's fairly light, and I got to thinking about how I could get it lighter. Spose that turning 50 had anything to do with it?

I got to thinking (always a bad thing for me to do) about the idea of getting another rifle and having one fairly light rig, and then buy one that was really light. You know I have to be thinking about my wife and how she needs to have a light rifle to carry as well as I do right? I mean is it really ok for me to give her the heavier more capable magnum while I carry the light mtn rifle... wink

Guess to quit acting like a beagle (chasing wabbits) I could of ordered a NULA, I had the wifes blessings, but I didn't want to wait for a year or whatever it takes. I mean come on guys I'm at mid life, you'd think that by now I'd have some patience. So, I went the route of redoing the old Mauser, even though it was very good, and now it's 13 months later and the project still isn't done.

So here I am, could of had one of Mels rifles, and am still in a wait and am way over the idea of redoing the rifle. Plus now Anita has let me know that I get to carry the heavy mag as she's kind of taken with my .270 mtn gun.

Plus, today I ran into a used NULA in one of those dastardly 30 cals, although as much as I like the odd balls it was sort of ok (300 Dakota). Just kind of reminded me that by now...I would of received my rifle from Mel and I'd have two nice rifles and not still waiting to finish one.

Mentioned it to Anita, she said I should either sell more real estate and or just wait for another 50 years...

Bottom line, perhaps I should of been more patient.

Just some rambling thoughts from a fella at mid life, we're supposed to wisen up as we gain age right...?

Dober

Do they still have the used NULA in aught six at the cabelas in billings.
Dober,

I'm speaking now for all of the members of the 24Hour Campfire, and if you do not get a NULA immediatly, your Indian name will be "No Hair On Balls"

Thought you should know.(Grins)

Steve
Originally Posted by 7x57STEVE
Dober,

I'm speaking now for all of the members of the 24Hour Campfire, and if you do not get a NULA immediatly, your Indian name will be "No Hair On Balls"

Steve

<G> Great, now I need to clean the coffee up from the carpet! <G>
Originally Posted by RickF
I could love a M20 in 7WSM. C'mon Mark, buy one! grin

That would need to be a M28S, IIRC.
Mark,

What's a NULA going to give you that an older 700 Ti with an Edge stock and trigger job aren't going to give you?

For half the cost.
Dober,

Just answer 'What would Dober advise?' Because he usually always has an opinion.

Or make it worth getting to 50 years and git yourself a minty pre-mil Savage 99F in .308, 6.5lb with peeps, 7.5lb with age appropriate scope. After your bud JB tunes it up, you are good to 'rock on' with anything in MT for the next 50.
Originally Posted by SU35
Mark,

What's a NULA going to give you that an older 700 Ti with an Edge stock and trigger job aren't going to give you?

For half the cost.

And raghorn's got the 700 Ti in 06 improved for sale in the classifieds right now... You'd just have to order the Edge with Rick's sale right now, and wait 6 months for the stock...

Glad we could help! grin
I already own two Ti's.

Think about it, two rifle for the price of one NULA.

HJ-what cal?

Also, did you ever sort out that muley tag deal?

Dober

Dober,

My rifle is a M24 .30-'06.

I have sort of fixed the muley tag by participating in the bonus point system while I don't draw the area I want to hunt. I would still like to find an outfitter or landowner tag source though; I don't think I will live long enough to get the tag through the draw.

jim
I already own two Ti's.

Quality trumps quantity. I'd rather have one NULA than two Ti's any day (no offense intended).

The NULA will be as light as the Ti, but with a no. 2 contour, (not the Remington pencil-barrel crap-shoot), has a laid fiberglass stock (not the ungainly chopped glass Ti stock), and the NULA is cobbled together by a smith (Mel) to shoot well, not assembled by an hourly guy screwing a $12 barrel onto a receiver that resorts to a lot of gimmicks to make it light.

Mel's rifles are "light done right", from the ground up, and there's no way a Ti, nice though they may be, are near the quality of a NULA.

Expensive? You bet. But quality remains long after the purchase price is forgotten IME...

Originally Posted by Brad
I already own two Ti's.

Quality trumps quantity. I'd rather have one NULA than two Ti's any day (no offense intended).

The NULA will be as light as the Ti, but with a no. 2 contour, (not the Remington pencil-barrel crap-shoot), has a laid fiberglass stock (not the ungainly chopped glass Ti stock), and the NULA is cobbled together by a smith (Mel) to shoot well, not assembled by an hourly guy screwing a $12 barrel onto a receiver that resorts to a lot of gimmicks to make it light.

Mel's rifles are "light done right", from the ground up, and there's no way a Ti, nice though they may be, are near the quality of a NULA.

Expensive? You bet. But quality remains long after the purchase price is forgotten IME...

Very well said Brad.
Originally Posted by 7x57STEVE
Dober,

Steve

LOL
Yeah, that WAS funny!
I already own two Ti's.

Yep, make that (2) Titaniums sporting McM Edges! Sweet! (if you have the right connections & skills)

MtnHtr
Lemme get this straight Brad.... You mean the NULAs that are wearing Douglass barrels??? And you're calling the Remmy barrels a crap shoot???

Thats kind of like one prostitute calling the other a hooker laugh

Yep. I'm officially calling Bullshit on that one... But you're still my E-Buddy. I'm just raising a brown flag.
Ha! Glad to hear it. I still think they're fine rifles even if he "should" use Lilja barrels!
Whew... I thought I might have ruffled a few feathers.

I've met Mel before and had a chance to speak with him. He knows how to build a rifle for sure, but he seems a little stuck in his ways if you ask me.
Meaning he don't experiment with McGowen....
two left handed ula's just showed up a perry's guns in nc, .300 wby and .375 $2600 each each one has a leupold 3.5x10x50 on them.
919-365-4200 pics will be up on gunsamerica later today excellant cond.
Let us not forget the continued service on Melvins behalf. Upon falling in love with your NULA and shooting the hell out of it. Simply return it to Melvin and he will rebarrel, rebed, and repaint all for a nominal fee (approx $400-$500). You will receive your rifle as new once again. Not too many companies offer this type of follow-up service.

BC
I have owned Remington Ti's, and they are pretty good rifles for the price--but are the equivalent of a NULA like a Burris Fullfield II (a very good scope for the price) is the equivalent of a Zeiss Conquest.

As for those Douglas barrels Melvin puts on the NULA's. I have personally fooled around with about a dozen NULA's in chamberings from .223 to .358 and have yet to see one that wouldn't easily shoot 3-shot groups at 100 yards of 1/2" or less--often a LOT less.
Mickey Coleman likes Douglas barrel as well I think? I keep having that same thought regards quality over quantity.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Meaning he don't experiment with McGowen....

Ouch!! It hurts Scotty.... But right now I'm still waiting on a reamer (have been since end of May) I forgot about how flaky Reamer rental guys can be frown

JB, I've not had real good luck with Douglas tubes. I know a local smith that swears by them too. The 25 or so Douglass tubes I've had the pleasure of shooting I'd rate at "Just a little better than stockers" I honestly think that Douglass probably has a pile of "Supertastic Excelent" tubes they save for Mel. The ones that trickle down to the masses sure aren't consistantly SUB-MOA...

Funny thing, if I use the same smith, and a Lilja or LRB tube, consistantly SUB-MOA, like clockwork...
Who here if they were ordering a $3,000.00 custom rifle would order it with a Douglas barrel?

btw, My Ti's easily shoot less than .5 groups at 100 yards as well.

A really stupid question: Never having seen a NULA in person - are they a PF? What do they use for an extractor?
Actually the quality on the Rem Ti's I've seen is pretty good. Alot of 'smiths report Ti actions are pretty true and require less blueprinting (or truing). The later 700s have a milled firing pin as well.

Mel puts a great a product, but for most folks a Rem Ti is more affordable.

As for pricing vs quality that's always a debated subject especially when loonyism kicks in.

MtnHtr
Brad,

Couldn't have been said any better..I have 4 of them and a lot of hard work went into getting the $$$. They are not for everything, but for light they are the top of the game. Perfect combo of light weight, balance, and accuracy. Not to mention rugged as well. And Melvin will stand behind them as long as he is breathing.

Lefty C
Dober,

Pardon my loonyism but why not go down and pick up a little sky, have a Lilja screwed on and call it good? Think of the coin you would have left over.

MtnHtr
The last NULA I received is a .257 Weatherby with a 24" #2. I took it to the range thr first time with 100-grain Hornady Spire Points and 75 grains of Ramshot Magnum, because I had the bullets on hand and that's a powder charge that often shoots well with .257 Roys and 100-grain bullets. After 2-3 shots at close range to get the scope reasonably centered, I shot three rounds at the 100-yard target. They went into a flat 1/2"--the very first group the rifle ever fired, with a new barrel that hadn't even been broken in yet.

Recently another friend took delivery on a NULA in .270 Winchester. He loaded up 140 TSX's with a favorite load (might have been H4831, I don't remember.) The first group at the was three shots literally in one hole at little larger than .277.
He wanted to make sure it wasn't a fluke, so shot another 3-shot group. This time called the third shot out--and it was, by 1/4". The first two shots went into one hole again, and the third opened up the groups to .26".

I have yet to encounter accuracy like that from OTB Ti's or Kimbers, even the odd one that is exceptional. In fact I have yet to encounter that kind of accuracy from rebarreled Ti's or Kimbers. I have also seen some problems with the odd Kimber action, and have yet to encounted a Ti or Kimber that balances like a NULA.

I do own a couple of Kimbers and they are good rifles for the money. Hasve also owned Ti's and they are fairly priced as well. But very few people I know who have owned NULA's continue to think that the $1200 alternatives are equals.

There can be exceptions. I will amend my statement about NULA accuracy, because I did one own 7x57 that would only groups into 3/4" to 1" or so. Obviously this is good enough for hunting but not what they are known for. So eventually I had Melvin rebarrel it to .257 Roberets AI, and the first group out of the box (a fireforming load) went into something like 3/8". It kept that up for years until a friend insisted I sell it to him, after he borrowed it one one hunt. It shot like that for hm too.
You also might want to check out the thread on the Custom Rifles forum. A guy has a NULA that is averaging (several groups, not just one) around 3/8" for FIVE shots at 100 yards, not three shots. Too bad those suck Douglas barrels won't shoot....
Ain't it amazing that folks lament the maker of the barrel, and overlook that it's the guy that screws the rifle together that'll have the biggest impact on the rig?

I've handled and shot Melvin's rifles, and if the fella told me he used conduit for the barrel, I'd not care as his work speaks/shoots for itself. Ditto, same same with Mickey Coleman, and a few others that put together sterling work and can/could/will/have do/done so with any maker barrel they or you choose.
Dober: I would not hesitate to get the NULA in 270 or 280(my choices),and I suspect you will be a happy camper wink
bwinters,

Sorry I missed your post earlier. The NULA's are push feeds, the extractor a Sako-style.

One thing I have also neglected to mention is the stock. It's one of the most technologically advanced in the business, using epoxy's borrowed from the aeronatutics industry (some of Melvin's friends were actual "rocket scientists" at Hercules), as well as Kevlar fibers that run the entire length of the stock, instead of chunks of cloth being pasted in there every which way as they are on many lay-ups. Some NULA rifles have been rolled on by horses--and the stock remained intact while the barrel bent.

Oh, and by the way I have fired Mickey Coleman rifles with Douglas barrels. The only reason any bullets doesn't end he same hole is if the shooter screws up. I alays get a big laugh when anybody starts badmouthing Douglas Premiums, because not only have I shot a bunch of rifles with super-accurate DP barrels, but I have stuck a bore-scope down a bunch. They are not hand-lapped, but they are very well made.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Oh, and by the way I have fired Mickey Coleman rifles with Douglas barrels. The only reason any bullets doesn't end he same hole is if the shooter screws up. I alays get a big laugh when anybody starts badmouthing Douglas Premiums, because not only have I shot a bunch of rifles with super-accurate DP barrels, but I have stuck a bore-scope down a bunch. They are not hand-lapped, but they are very well made.

Thats part of my "Issue" with Douglass tubes. The few that I've had (one was SUB-MOA, a 308) definately foul worse than barrels from better makers. They may shoot well for 20-40 before the groups open up. One 6.5 barrel I had from Lilja I cleaned every 150 rounds weather it needed it or not. A couple patches of Tetra Gun copper solvent and it was sparkly clean.

I think its funny that a custom builder (NULA) uses slightly above mediocre barrels on 3K guns. Granted we're talking about a hunting rifle here, but it bothers me that Melvin settles for Above Mediocre on one key part of his guns. The real issue there is that he doesn't want to wait on a real barrel maker, I think.
Who here if they were ordering a $3,000.00 custom rifle would order it with a Douglas barrel?

btw, My Ti's easily shoot less than .5 groups at 100 yards as well.

my $1000(1979) m700 .300winmag was made up with a douglas barrel... no regrets... still one of the most business like (and precise) rifles that i have ever used...
Dan,
Douglas is as good as any custom barrel I have on any rifle I own. Melvin is not settling for anything less than the best. Your point regarding a lapped barrel v: a non lapped barrel is a good point. A lapped barrel cleans up quicker than a non lapped piece no question but with the right chemicals and cleaning procedure ( I suspect practically all the men on this forum know how to clean a barrel) it isn't much of a hassle to clean a non lapped barrel. Just takes a little more time.
Melvin will put practically any barrel on his rifle you want on one. I suspect the reason he uses Douglas is that Douglas is in Cross Lanes, WV and Melvin's shop is in Granville, WV and that he has had a good relationship with them and been as are his customers well satisfied with the Douglas product.
Douglas uses only premium quality steel and tooling (buttons) and quality is priority #1. As with Mickey Coleman's rifles and JB I have shot and own several rifles with Douglas Premium barrels on them and cannot imagine how I could be more satisfied with a rifle barrel.

Dave
I have one of those "rough" Douglas barrels on a 6BR built by Mickey Coleman that's had about 200 rounds down the spout without cleaning and its still producing one hole groups.
I think the main point several posters were trying to make on here regarding other brands vs NULA is a quality hunting rifle can be had for far less than the NULAS's $3000+ price. No doubt NULA's are quality firearms, but there is more than one route other than going with a NULA.

If I were in Dober's shoes, I might go the NULA route. At least one knows Mel does and will back up his product. One can't say that for Remington or even Kimber. The NULA would be a surer bet though more $$.

As for myself, I'll keep spending $$ on Burris quality Remmies and and having exotic tubes screwed on by my 'smith. And have some change left over for other ventures.

MtnHtr

MtnHunter,
No question you can buy a or put together a quality hunting rifle for less than 3K but it will not have the features Melvin's rifles have and with the same contour barrel will not be as light. If you factor all the features of a ULA into a custom build it is hard to get it done for any less let alone get it done with a 30 day no questions asked money back guarantee.
If a guy has to have a 5# (or less) rifle that has all the qualities of one of Melvin's rifles where do you get it or how do you build it for 3 grand??
The rifle I picked up in August last year was only $2600. It has a chrome moly Douglas Premium on it which is $125.00 less than a SS barrel. Melvin's stock is as nice as anyones and probably stiffer which allows him to full length bed the action and the barrel. Timney triggers are standard and he adjusts all of them to 3#. Talley LW rings w/integral bases are furnished with each rifle.
Custom hunting grade actions all come in around $900 to $1000 and I am not positive but I don't think any are as light as Melvins. If you add it all up I think you will find what many have. $2600 to $3000 depending on options and barrel type for a NULA is a bargain.

Dave
I think the main point several posters were trying to make on here regarding other brands vs NULA is a quality hunting rifle can be had for far less than the NULAS's $3000+ price. No doubt NULA's are quality firearms, but there is more than one route other than going with a

Very true

Some however think Nulas are too expensive. When you factor in the made in house stock,receiver and bolt then compared to many other customs ...Borden,Brown,Jarret and a host of others its a very reasonable price to pay. For goodness gracious there are smiths out there charging 3K+ and using donor Remington actions and stocks they don't even make in house of NULA quality.
have one of those "rough" Douglas barrels on a 6BR built by Mickey Coleman that's had about 200 rounds down the spout without cleaning and its still producing one hole groups

There is one other gunsmith down Mickeys way that swears by Douglas Barrels and his rifles are beyond reproach in the accuracy department. Isn't it amazing how "NAME" influences people, I have seen more HUNTING RIFLES that shot great using Douglas barrels then all other makes combined.
I'd rather have one $3k NULA chambered in a standard offering like 7-08/308,30/06/280/270,that see's a [bleep] of use every year.Then to have three or more rifles costing way less,that see very little use.Or that I had to spend another $500 on,to put an over priced Mickey stock on so they'd be even close to the quality of the nula.

I've lost track of the amount of gunsafes I've seen full of [bleep] that hasn't even seen the light of day for years.Or better yet wasted trips to walmart and home depot for [bleep] you never needed but bought never used..Any body with a new pickup in the drive way has pissed away more then 3 grand that they'll never get back.
OldelkHunter,
I am going out on a limb here but I would think that since GR Douglas started making barrels way back when that Douglas has manufactured and sold more barrels than all other barrel manufacturers combined. That's not saying that the other barrel manufacturers don't have fine products cause they do it's simply saying that Douglas has always lived by building quality barrels at an affordable price and it has worked pretty well for them. It's pretty tough to walk in down there and buy a barrel same day.

Dave
Originally Posted by RaceTire
MtnHunter,
No question you can buy a or put together a quality hunting rifle for less than 3K but it will not have the features Melvin's rifles have and with the same contour barrel will not be as light. If you factor all the features of a ULA into a custom build it is hard to get it done for any less let alone get it done with a 30 day no questions asked money back guarantee.

Dave

There is no way you can make that statement without seeing one of my custom barreled Remmies (or Winnies) in person, shooting them, and then disassembling them (and there are maybe 4 posters on here that have). And the (2) lightweights that I presently own are plenty light enough for my tastes.

If we wanted practicality in a rifle then we would all be shooting factory rifles and factory ammo like JY Jones (One man, One Rifle, One Land) or other similar hunters. But some of us don't, we are discriminating sportsmen who prefer an above average quality firearm for one reason or another. For myself when mountain hunting I prefer a lightweight rifle under 7.5lbs, which is dependable and accurate out to 400yds under rugged hunting conditions and weather. The Remmies and Winchesters in my safe have served me fine, I see no reason for change yet. Obviously one of Mel's rifles would work well too. But I don't have to spend $3000 to get there nor do quite a few other folks I know.

Now if I was in a mood to treat myself, (kinda like a fine dining experience though still different) then I might lay down (30) Bennie Frankies for Mel and be done with it. But I'm not at that point in my life nor do I know if I ever will be.

I guess in simpler terms, folks like SU35 and myself can get the job done just fine without a NULA, thank you.

MtnHtr
Thanks MD.
Originally Posted by Mtn Hunter
Originally Posted by RaceTire
MtnHunter,

Dave

There is no way you can make that statement without seeing one of my custom barreled Remmies (or Winnies) in person, shooting them, and then disassembling them (and there are maybe 4 posters on here that have). And the (2) lightweights that I presently own are plenty light enough for my tastes.

If we wanted practicality in a rifle then we would all be shooting factory rifles and factory ammo like JY Jones (One man, One Rifle, One Land) or other similar hunters. But some of us don't, we are discriminating sportsmen who prefer an above average quality firearm for one reason or another. For myself when mountain hunting I prefer a lightweight rifle under 7.5lbs, which is dependable and accurate out to 400yds under rugged hunting conditions and weather. The Remmies and Winchesters in my safe have served me fine, I see no reason for change yet. Obviously one of Mel's rifles would work well too. But I don't have to spend $3000 to get there nor do quite a few other folks I know.

Now if I was in a mood to treat myself, (kinda like a fine dining experience though still different) then I might lay down (3) bennie franks for Mel and be done with it. But I'm not at that point in my life nor do I know if I ever will be.

I guess in simpler terms, folks like SU35 and myself can get the job done just fine without a NULA, thank you.

MtnHtr
Boy, I bet you and SU really don't want to know what us completely factory rifle guys think... wink

PS- Hopefully, that is recieved in the spirit it was sent.
Having owned a few of Stacy's (mtn hunter) rifles, I can say they are some of the best built rifles I have ever owned, and if shoulder surgery did not throw me a curve a few years back, I'd still have more than a few in the safe.

I have owned NULA, ULA, Borden, Bansners, Jarett and a few other top names. I have spent more on their rifles, but am not sure I got more.
A few comments on the comments since I last posted:

I have shot a pile of Douglas barrels over the years, mostly on NULA's but also on others, and have only run into one that had to be cleaned every 30-40 rounds to continue to shoot well. I have shot quite a few Douglasess that will go 75 shots to almost infinity--once they get broken in, which in my experience doesn't take much, maybe 3 cleanings.

I have also probably owned as many Lilja barrels as Douglas on HUNTING rifles, and while they take less breaking in I can't say that they shoot any better than the Douglases I've had on Melvin's rifles.

Melvin is happy put any barrel you want on a NULA, if you want to pay the difference between that barrel and a Douglas. He uses Douglas partly because the company is close, which saves money on the overall cost of the rifle, and partly because 98% of his customers are completely happy with the accuracy Douglas barrels provide--usually at MOST 1/2" accuracy at 100 yards, and often more like 1-hole.

Aside from the barrels, the Timney triggers, and some screws and other minor parts, NULA's are built in Melvin's shop. One of the reasons Melvin decided to build his own actions is that he wa tired of spending dozens of hours "blueprinting" factory actions to his satisfaction. The actions are built not just light but precisely. They are also extremely strong. Both the precision and strength are the reason that Nosler has been using NULA actions for their test rifles for years--and says they last much longer than ANY other actions they've used, including all the commercial actions with reputations for great strength.

Don't get me wrong. Modern factory rifles are marvelous bargains, in my opinion, and I own a pile of them that I use a lot. When rebarreled with a top-flight barrel (say a Lilja, my personal favorite) by a good smith, they can be extremely accurate.

But there is always a difference between a rebuilt factory rifle and a NULA that is built to top-notch specs in every way from the ground up. Not all people think such a rifle is worth the price, and "worth the price" is a valid opinion.

Personally, after 20+ years of experience with NULA's I think are a screaming bargain at $3000, especially when compared to a bunch of other custom rifles that are essentially rebuilt Remingtons with an after-market barrel and stock--rifles that often cost $5000+. And yes, I have owned a bunch of those too.

There are a bunch of fine deals among factory rifles today, especially if the main criteria is accuracy: Savage, Weatherby Vanguard, Remington and Tikka come immediately to mind, though I have also had great results from a whole list of othersm such as Ruger and Winchester and others I can't remember right now.

I also have owned several custom rifles that originally cost $5000 or more up.

But there are darn few rifles out there made as precisely and carefully (and with as much knowledge of what makes a bolt-action rifle, especially a lightweight bolt-action rifle) as a NULA at anywhere near the same price.

If $3000 is too much for some people, believe me I understand. But even bargains are relative.

MD, good post as always. Now I have to ask, do you see any weak link in the NULA being a Sako style "pf" and not a "crf"?
Also I believe the safety is a modified two position?
Lastly, with heavy for caliber bullets, would you recommend a #2 24" barrel over the #1 22" barrel? I am thinking .270Win. or 30-06. Thanks.
If you want a CRF rifle, buy a CRF rifle. The NULA is a very reliable push-feed.

The safety is very much like the original Remington 700's, which in the rear position not only put the rifle on "safe" but locked the bolt down. The EXCEPTION with the NULA safety is that when in the rear position, if you push DOWN on the safety button (from above), the bolt can be opened with the rifle still on safe. So it is a different sort of 3-position safety.

As fas as barrel contour, I would be more concerned with the size of the hole in the muzzle than the weight of the bullet. A #1 .270 barrel has just about as much steel around the hole (about .142" on either side of the hole) as a #2 .30 barrel (.146 on either side of the hole).

But it also depends on the cartridge. In my experience a #1 .30 barrel will shoot extremely well when chambered in .308, but a #2 might work better in a .30-06.

The balance and overall weight you want is also a factor. If you really want a rifle that weighs 6 pounds with scope, then the #1 barrel is the only way to go. If you want a rifle with a little more weight forward, and don't mind over 6 pounds scoped, then the #2 barrel is the way to go.
Mule Deer,
IIRC (can't find the article right at hand) you wrote an article where you mentioned that Mr Forbes uses Douglas barrels because they will match the exact contour he wants and Lilja won't. (Or was that the article on D'Arcy Echols???)

Oh well, went back and re-read Rifle #228 Nov 2006 article on NULA. Very informative and well written, as usual!
Glad you liked the article!

Naw, I don't believe Melvin has ever mentioned contour. He beds each barrel individually, so that has no bearing on anything. Which is why he is also perfectly willing to use any other barrel if the customer so desires.
JB: So if you ordered a NULA in say 280AI what barrel contour would you use? Length?

I've never had a NULA;curiosity is getting the better of me... smile
I'd probably get a #2, 24" long. This would end up being about a 6-1/2 pound rifle with a typical 12-ounce scope.
JB: Thanks, that is exactly what I have,a #2.6 1/2 is still a pretty light rifle with a #2.Sounds interesting...my buddy in Boise is talking me into it smile
If'n it were me, I'd do a #2 @ 23" just cause, and the scope would be a 6x36 Leo with LR dotz in it.

And for giggles do it in a 338/06....grin

Dober
You all need to hush about these NULA rifles. I can't afford a 3K project right now and the temptation is starting to get to me. grin
Mark, you wouldn't believe how many 23" barreled rifles I've had built over the years. (Well, actually you probably would.) Mine have ended up that way because I couldn't make up my mind between 22" and 24", so split the difference. Oddly enough, they all still killed big game quite well, even with the loss of 1" of muzzle velocity....

Heck, I also had a 25" barreled .300 Winchester built, because I couldn't decide between 24" and 26", and right now have a 21" 7x57.
JB, Dober, my only aftermarket Bbl at present is a Hart on my .223 which I had the big "A" cut to 23" so I could turn it around easily inside the cab of a pickup!( The occasional gopher gets shot out the window..on private land, of course!) grin
Ingwe

Dober

Dober, you know I won't do that..... grin
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Dober

Dober, you know I won't do that..... grin

Pollo... cool

Dober
Ingwe-my 223's start and end @ 21" for some reason or another and it may just have something to do with furry lil rodentia...grin

And yes, the "Big A" has done more than a bit of that work. (did he get a 375 Rugger reamer yet?)

Thx
Dober
laugh laugh......I comprende!
The EXCEPTION with the NULA safety is that when in the rear position, if you push DOWN on the safety button (from above), the bolt can be opened with the rifle still on safe. So it is a different sort of 3-position safety.

I did not know that! I am appreciating them more after reading this thread.

And yes, the "Big A" has done more than a bit of that work. (did he get a 375 Rugger reamer yet?)

Thx
Dober

I'm off for a coupla days, will ask him upon my return... wink
Ingwe
Thx, and tell him hello from me, I may have him build me another yote rifle... wink

Dober
You probably should...I don't think you've killed enough yotes yet..I saw one alive the other day between here and Bozo..you been slackin'! laugh
Ingwe
Where......grin

Dober
Not tellin'... smile
Gotta leave something for the wolves to eat! laugh
( Then we can put in for a tag...) wink
Ingwe
All this talk has me ready to give Mr. Forbes a call and take a ride down and see what he has first hand.

I've sold a few shotguns and the cash is getting to hot to hold.

A .223Rem or .257Roberts sounds about right.
Yeah, that would be a wonderful Roberts, or a 6.5x55 Swede.
Roberts with Stripes big time!!!

Dobro
Melvin tells me that Douglas .25 barrels tend to really shoot, even more than most calibers. In my experience with NULA's in a .257 Bob and .257 Bob AI he is correct. I am just starting work with a .257 Roy NULA and it seems to be carrying on the tradition, as its first 3-shot group went exactly 1/2". It will do better as R&D continues....

Then again, one summer Eileen used a .223 NULA for PD shooting and it shot pretty darn well too!
Mule Deer,
Knowing that you have both the NULA and the Kimber Classic Select in 257 Roberts, I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on a comparison of your two rifles. Thanks!
Melvin tells me that Douglas .25 barrels tend to really shoot, even more than most calibers.

Maybe they have a "hot button" for those. I've read similar comments on target oriented boards about Broughtons in the 6.5mm size.
That very well may be. I had a Douglas barreled 25-06 that was pleasingly accurate with several different bullet and powder combinations. It wasn't even their match grade air guaged.
Kimber7man,

The NULA Bob is actually my wife's. It has a 24" #2 barrel (stainless) and weighs 6.5 pounds with a 3-9x VX-II. It shoots real well (under 3/4" and sometimes much less) with a bunch of loads and bullets, as a lot of NULAs do. It is also known as the "Ugly Stick," due to an unusual color combo in the striped paint job. Melvin has offered to repaint it but Eileen says it is too lucky a rifle to change.

The Kimber weighs 7 pounds on the nose with a 6x24 Burris (no longer made). The 22" barrel is a lot thinner than the NULA's, and is free-floated. It shoots well but not spectacularly. If I remember correctly it will do around an inch or a little less with 115-grain Partitions and 43 grains H4350. This is the only load I've tried in it so far. It's a heck of a lot prettier than the NULA, with a nice walnut stock with some decent grain and wavy figure in the butt.
I am late to this party, but acquired my first NULA this past spring slightly used from a board member here. It is a 7mm-08 with a 22" barrel. With a 2.5x8 Leupold scope it weighs 6# 2 oz. I have only had it to the range twice to zero scopes since I started with a 1.75x6 but switched to the 2.5x8. Both times it shot factory Fed ammo inside of 0.75" at 100 yards. I hope to get it dialed in with handloads in the next month. Really like the rifle but with my small hands the stock feels slightly large in the grip area. Excellent quality overall and am very happy with it. I also have a Rem 700 stainless mountain rifle with the same scope and rings. I put a Bansner Sheephunter stock and an aluminum trigger guard on that rifle and it weighs 6# 12 oz. Those rifles are my two lightest and both shoot about the same with factory ammo. I sold four rifles to raise the funds to buy the NULA and am happy with the result.

Dobro

I'm ugly enough on my own.

Then again maybe a stripped NULA would make that not so obvious. smile
My personal favorite among NULA stock "colors" is Henry Ford's basic black, but there is something very identifiable about the stripes, sorta like the Leupold gold ring....
I'm with you on stock color. Why take a firearm of this high quality and alter the appearance to shift focus from the overall gun itself to a paint scheme. To each their own.
I can't like the stripes one bit and agree on black (brown, grey or OD too) for sure.

But I don't like McMillan's Brunswick Bowling Ball stocks either laugh
I am familiar with the diagonal stripe NULA look, but their website has a couple of photos wth some unstriped paint schemes. I didn't see a color chart or anything with an organized presentation of schemes to choose from. Did I miss it, or do you work it out at the time of placing an order?
Doesn't have a color chart on his website. He'll do just about whatever color scheme you want.
Yeah, the choice is pretty much unlimited, the reason there's no color chart. He even does metallic paint jobs on a lot of varmint rifles.

I just talked to Melvin again today, mostly about a couple of other things, and meanwhile found out that the off-the-rack rifles will be painted in whatever color you want. Painting only takes a day. He's keeping the stocks in primer only until he finds out what the customer desires.

Dobro

Over the years those ugly stripes have grown on me. I'd do one in stripes "Fo Sho"

It is also known as the "Ugly Stick," due to an unusual color combo in the striped paint job. Melvin has offered to repaint it but Eileen says it is too lucky a rifle to change.

Bite your tongue my good man. grin
I love the stripes on her rifle.

In fact, I know of "a guy" that sent a photo of that rifle along with his stock to the man with the polane T paint and said..."make it look like that"...... wink grin
I have heard so much about that rifle... I gotta see a picture.
Originally Posted by SKane

It is also known as the "Ugly Stick," due to an unusual color combo in the striped paint job. Melvin has offered to repaint it but Eileen says it is too lucky a rifle to change.

Bite your tongue my good man. grin
I love the stripes on her rifle.

In fact, I know of "a guy" that sent a photo of that rifle along with his stock to the man with the polane T paint and said..."make it look like that"...... wink grin

I have personally seen/ touched that rifle! laugh
It IS the equivalent of rubber hammer to the knee if you wanna check your gag reflex! sick
But, like mopeds, '54 Chevys and other things that shall remain nameless, it feels good, you just wouldn't want to be seen in public with it... wink
Ingwe
Originally Posted by miket_81
I have heard so much about that rifle... I gotta see a picture.

miket,
You still got yours? Would like to see pics of that as well...
I am just starting work with a .257 Roy NULA and it seems to be carrying on the tradition, as its first 3-shot group went exactly 1/2".

JB,
Can you elaborate on the NULA 257W a bit? What barrel length and weight if you will. Balance?
These NULA threads are getting me hepped up to sell a few rifles off and get a NULA. One in 257 W really pulls at me.
© 24hourcampfire