Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yeah, that would be a wonderful Roberts, or a 6.5x55 Swede.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Roberts with Stripes big time!!!

Dobro

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Melvin tells me that Douglas .25 barrels tend to really shoot, even more than most calibers. In my experience with NULA's in a .257 Bob and .257 Bob AI he is correct. I am just starting work with a .257 Roy NULA and it seems to be carrying on the tradition, as its first 3-shot group went exactly 1/2". It will do better as R&D continues....

Then again, one summer Eileen used a .223 NULA for PD shooting and it shot pretty darn well too!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mule Deer,
Knowing that you have both the NULA and the Kimber Classic Select in 257 Roberts, I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on a comparison of your two rifles. Thanks!

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Melvin tells me that Douglas .25 barrels tend to really shoot, even more than most calibers.

Maybe they have a "hot button" for those. I've read similar comments on target oriented boards about Broughtons in the 6.5mm size.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
That very well may be. I had a Douglas barreled 25-06 that was pleasingly accurate with several different bullet and powder combinations. It wasn't even their match grade air guaged.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Kimber7man,

The NULA Bob is actually my wife's. It has a 24" #2 barrel (stainless) and weighs 6.5 pounds with a 3-9x VX-II. It shoots real well (under 3/4" and sometimes much less) with a bunch of loads and bullets, as a lot of NULAs do. It is also known as the "Ugly Stick," due to an unusual color combo in the striped paint job. Melvin has offered to repaint it but Eileen says it is too lucky a rifle to change.

The Kimber weighs 7 pounds on the nose with a 6x24 Burris (no longer made). The 22" barrel is a lot thinner than the NULA's, and is free-floated. It shoots well but not spectacularly. If I remember correctly it will do around an inch or a little less with 115-grain Partitions and 43 grains H4350. This is the only load I've tried in it so far. It's a heck of a lot prettier than the NULA, with a nice walnut stock with some decent grain and wavy figure in the butt.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I am late to this party, but acquired my first NULA this past spring slightly used from a board member here. It is a 7mm-08 with a 22" barrel. With a 2.5x8 Leupold scope it weighs 6# 2 oz. I have only had it to the range twice to zero scopes since I started with a 1.75x6 but switched to the 2.5x8. Both times it shot factory Fed ammo inside of 0.75" at 100 yards. I hope to get it dialed in with handloads in the next month. Really like the rifle but with my small hands the stock feels slightly large in the grip area. Excellent quality overall and am very happy with it. I also have a Rem 700 stainless mountain rifle with the same scope and rings. I put a Bansner Sheephunter stock and an aluminum trigger guard on that rifle and it weighs 6# 12 oz. Those rifles are my two lightest and both shoot about the same with factory ammo. I sold four rifles to raise the funds to buy the NULA and am happy with the result.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

Dobro

I'm ugly enough on my own.

Then again maybe a stripped NULA would make that not so obvious. smile

laissez les bons temps rouler
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
My personal favorite among NULA stock "colors" is Henry Ford's basic black, but there is something very identifiable about the stripes, sorta like the Leupold gold ring....

John Steinbeck
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I'm with you on stock color. Why take a firearm of this high quality and alter the appearance to shift focus from the overall gun itself to a paint scheme. To each their own.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I can't like the stripes one bit and agree on black (brown, grey or OD too) for sure.

But I don't like McMillan's Brunswick Bowling Ball stocks either laugh

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I am familiar with the diagonal stripe NULA look, but their website has a couple of photos wth some unstriped paint schemes. I didn't see a color chart or anything with an organized presentation of schemes to choose from. Did I miss it, or do you work it out at the time of placing an order?

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Doesn't have a color chart on his website. He'll do just about whatever color scheme you want.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, the choice is pretty much unlimited, the reason there's no color chart. He even does metallic paint jobs on a lot of varmint rifles.

I just talked to Melvin again today, mostly about a couple of other things, and meanwhile found out that the off-the-rack rifles will be painted in whatever color you want. Painting only takes a day. He's keeping the stocks in primer only until he finds out what the customer desires.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

Dobro

Over the years those ugly stripes have grown on me. I'd do one in stripes "Fo Sho"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

It is also known as the "Ugly Stick," due to an unusual color combo in the striped paint job. Melvin has offered to repaint it but Eileen says it is too lucky a rifle to change.

Bite your tongue my good man. grin
I love the stripes on her rifle.

In fact, I know of "a guy" that sent a photo of that rifle along with his stock to the man with the polane T paint and said..."make it look like that"...... wink grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have heard so much about that rifle... I gotta see a picture.

It isn't energy that kills. It's holes!
Dogzapper

A fine is a tax for doing wrong, a tax is a fine for doing well
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

It is also known as the "Ugly Stick," due to an unusual color combo in the striped paint job. Melvin has offered to repaint it but Eileen says it is too lucky a rifle to change.

Bite your tongue my good man. grin
I love the stripes on her rifle.

In fact, I know of "a guy" that sent a photo of that rifle along with his stock to the man with the polane T paint and said..."make it look like that"...... wink grin

I have personally seen/ touched that rifle! laugh
It IS the equivalent of rubber hammer to the knee if you wanna check your gag reflex! sick
But, like mopeds, '54 Chevys and other things that shall remain nameless, it feels good, you just wouldn't want to be seen in public with it... wink
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by miket_81
I have heard so much about that rifle... I gotta see a picture.

miket,
You still got yours? Would like to see pics of that as well...

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1941USMC, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 45 invisible), 1,753 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,000
Posts18,520,403
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.