Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Bench Wizard. A friend has one. I used it a couple times but found no love. Someday I might come to admire it though! My 300WSM NULA is not fun at the bench but still doesn't kick like a slug gun or 3.5" turkey gun.

When I got the WSM from Melvin it was in stock, available NOW! I couldn't believe he had one, in LH ready to go. I think it was one of his SHOT show demo's? Shipped in a week, nice.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Lawdwaz-how many down does your 300 shorty hold?

Thx
Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Once you get used to a Bench Wizard it works quite well, but it is a different concept than most shoulder protectors.

Once in a while Melvin has had a rifle on the rack, usually a SHOT demo as you suggest, but he is going to make a bigger inventory available now. I would imagine some will be .300 WSM's and .300 Winchesters.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
2 down.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I could love a M20 in 7WSM. C'mon Mark, buy one! grin

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Mark,

When I ordered my most recent NULA the wait was 5 months. I haven't asked Melvin recently if it has grown, but I expect it is still less than your G33 wait. Plus you get the NULA recoil-eating stock.

Having stuff available is a good marketing move.

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Zeesh Rick, you're a ton load of help aint ya. You do need to buy some land in Montana right... grin
I just happen to know of the perfect 20 right next where the elky's a lope roam.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
HJ-what cal?

Also, did you ever sort out that muley tag deal?

Dober

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Zeesh Rick, you're a ton load of help aint ya. You do need to buy some land in Montana right... grin
I just happen to know of the perfect 20 right next where the elky's a lope roam.

Dober
Someday buddy, someday. I'd love to do that.

That sounds great. 20 acres, I expect I could get a guide and sometimes hunting pal who I could pay in MacIntosh currency! grin

And the rest of the crowd says...What's he talking about?"

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Big time deal!

MacIntosh is the very best kind of payola...grin

Dober

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Some of you know that I turned 50 last Nov, yeah I know it's hard to believe. For my 50th my way better half told me that I could do one nice rifle, if I wanted... wink

Well I've a nice G33/40 that's fairly light, and I got to thinking about how I could get it lighter. Spose that turning 50 had anything to do with it?

I got to thinking (always a bad thing for me to do) about the idea of getting another rifle and having one fairly light rig, and then buy one that was really light. You know I have to be thinking about my wife and how she needs to have a light rifle to carry as well as I do right? I mean is it really ok for me to give her the heavier more capable magnum while I carry the light mtn rifle... wink

Guess to quit acting like a beagle (chasing wabbits) I could of ordered a NULA, I had the wifes blessings, but I didn't want to wait for a year or whatever it takes. I mean come on guys I'm at mid life, you'd think that by now I'd have some patience. So, I went the route of redoing the old Mauser, even though it was very good, and now it's 13 months later and the project still isn't done.

So here I am, could of had one of Mels rifles, and am still in a wait and am way over the idea of redoing the rifle. Plus now Anita has let me know that I get to carry the heavy mag as she's kind of taken with my .270 mtn gun.

Plus, today I ran into a used NULA in one of those dastardly 30 cals, although as much as I like the odd balls it was sort of ok (300 Dakota). Just kind of reminded me that by now...I would of received my rifle from Mel and I'd have two nice rifles and not still waiting to finish one.

Mentioned it to Anita, she said I should either sell more real estate and or just wait for another 50 years...

Bottom line, perhaps I should of been more patient.

Just some rambling thoughts from a fella at mid life, we're supposed to wisen up as we gain age right...?

Dober

Do they still have the used NULA in aught six at the cabelas in billings.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dober,

I'm speaking now for all of the members of the 24Hour Campfire, and if you do not get a NULA immediatly, your Indian name will be "No Hair On Balls"

Thought you should know.(Grins)

Steve

Last edited by 7x57STEVE; 06/25/09.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by 7x57STEVE
Dober,

I'm speaking now for all of the members of the 24Hour Campfire, and if you do not get a NULA immediatly, your Indian name will be "No Hair On Balls"

Thought you should know.(Grins)

Steve

<G> Great, now I need to clean the coffee up from the carpet! <G>

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by RickF
I could love a M20 in 7WSM. C'mon Mark, buy one! grin

That would need to be a M28S, IIRC.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Mark,

What's a NULA going to give you that an older 700 Ti with an Edge stock and trigger job aren't going to give you?

For half the cost.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Dober,

Just answer 'What would Dober advise?' Because he usually always has an opinion.

Or make it worth getting to 50 years and git yourself a minty pre-mil Savage 99F in .308, 6.5lb with peeps, 7.5lb with age appropriate scope. After your bud JB tunes it up, you are good to 'rock on' with anything in MT for the next 50.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SU35
Mark,

What's a NULA going to give you that an older 700 Ti with an Edge stock and trigger job aren't going to give you?

For half the cost.

And raghorn's got the 700 Ti in 06 improved for sale in the classifieds right now... You'd just have to order the Edge with Rick's sale right now, and wait 6 months for the stock...

Glad we could help! grin

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I already own two Ti's.

Think about it, two rifle for the price of one NULA.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
HJ-what cal?

Also, did you ever sort out that muley tag deal?

Dober

Dober,

My rifle is a M24 .30-'06.

I have sort of fixed the muley tag by participating in the bonus point system while I don't draw the area I want to hunt. I would still like to find an outfitter or landowner tag source though; I don't think I will live long enough to get the tag through the draw.

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SU35
I already own two Ti's.

Think about it, two rifle for the price of one NULA.

Quality trumps quantity. I'd rather have one NULA than two Ti's any day (no offense intended).

The NULA will be as light as the Ti, but with a no. 2 contour, (not the Remington pencil-barrel crap-shoot), has a laid fiberglass stock (not the ungainly chopped glass Ti stock), and the NULA is cobbled together by a smith (Mel) to shoot well, not assembled by an hourly guy screwing a $12 barrel onto a receiver that resorts to a lot of gimmicks to make it light.

Mel's rifles are "light done right", from the ground up, and there's no way a Ti, nice though they may be, are near the quality of a NULA.

Expensive? You bet. But quality remains long after the purchase price is forgotten IME...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

508 members (1badf350, 222Sako, 10ring1, 1234, 12344mag, 007FJ, 39 invisible), 1,818 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,004
Posts18,520,527
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.