Home
I've been thinking about my Dad lately. He died 3 years ago on opening of Texas deer season. He was 82 and had hunted since 1956. His original and only rifle for a while was an Enfield sporterized 30-06. He used Sierra's in the beginning but he found them too soft for his liking. He read all he could and decided to try the 150gr Interlokt. Worked like a charm.

He used that bullet until he built a 7x57 by hand and then decided the 139gr Interlokt would be the perfect mate...and it was. He killed his second truck load of deer with that gun and combination. Sometime around his early 50's he built a nice .308 mannlicher on a '98 action...and used the 150gr again in Hornady guise. Shot his 3rd truckload of deer w/that .308 and I stupidly sold it to a forum member from the Metroplex. By the way...if you are that member I'd like to buy it back.

When my Dad turned 60 he built his last rifle on a Mauser action in 257Ackley Improved. He never hesitated...a Hornady 117gr 25 caliber Interlockt got the nod. His last 10-12 years he kept killing large west Texas/ pan handle whitetails until his health declined to the point he could no longer make the trip. He use to tease me about shooting BT's but it was all in fun. I know if he was still here today he would be shooting the Hornady's in whatever caliber and killing those whitetails stone cold dead. powdr

hard to argue with success..
Best of the non-premiums!
This ^
Originally Posted by kraky111

When the Balllistic Tips hit the market, I got caught up in the hype. Today I have gone back to good old Hornady's on all except .243 and 7-08. There I still use BTs.
I could hunt the rest of my life with Hornady bullets. I'm a little partial to them, because they just plain work..
^^^^^^^^^^

That
Most of my reloading has been with hornady bullets. I've shot a lot of deer with them and never had a failure. Not sure why I even bother with any of the premiums other than it provides more load development as Hornady bullets seem to shoot well with most any powder charge.
Guys my Dad would sit down at the bench, load 3 shells and shoot them all in about 10-15 seconds. He would holler at me to bring him the target. As always, there would a nice round group hovering over the bulls eye. powdr

All Hornady 165 grain spire points in a 30-06...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee202/bridgershooters/Deer/OMITPdeer.jpg[/img]
Y'all stop making sense! This is crazy talk. wink
I've loaded 165gr Hornadys in the '06 and .308 since I started reloading, and haven't seen a reason to switch. My brothers, friends, and I are not in the same league as a lot of you regarding numbers of animals killed, but 25yrs of positive results can't be overlooked. 100 grainers in .25 caliber rifles, 129 in 6.5s, 130s in.270, and 139 in 7mm all work like a charm. If it ain't broke, no sense fixing it.
Originally Posted by raybass

Using nothing but Hornadys for most hunting makes perfect sense and is completely logical. None of of would be the worse off if we did it.

That said, we are just talking about it, we aren't actually doing it! grin
Hornady?

I don't get it.

Why would anyone load those overly soft separating at high speed cheap junk bullets?

They are just too predictable - deadly!

Jim
I have killed more Big Game Animals with Hornady Bullets than any other in my Life Time . I still use use the Interbond in some of my Big Game Rifles and use the V-max for most of my Varmint Hunting .
Surprisingly my last 3 deer died to Hornady bullets, 117gr, 250gr and 170gr.
I hate to be the voice of dissent here, but I've seen several outright failures from Hornadys. Several SSTs essentially grenading by hitting ribs on broadside deer, and Interlocks coming apart with really minimal penetration (twice this last fall). Most of them work, but Hornady is not infallible.
You couldn't pay me to use an SST.
Another -1 on SSTs�

Liking the Interlock a bunch

Couldnt get the Interbond to shoot...
The Hornady GMX bullet is excellent provided your target is as big as a barn door.

dave
Originally Posted by shrapnel

All Hornady 165 grain spire points in a 30-06...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee202/bridgershooters/Deer/OMITPdeer.jpg[/img]

Nice bulls shrappy. I'll concur as well. All of my 30-06's have loved the 165 sp interlock. Extremely accurate, minimal blood shot meat and pass thru's all the time.
Never even tried the GMX, soooooo I don't use them, the SSTs, or the Interbonds, only Interlocks.

1 out of 4

That makes me an expert on Hornady products by Campfire standards, doesn't it?? grin
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Amen brother.
Originally Posted by kraky111

For sure!

I like the Interlocks a lot; they're the first bullet I reach for when I get a new rifle.

I hadn't drunk the monometal Kool-aid but when MidwayUSA put 90 gr GMX blems on sale I decided to try em through my 257 AI. They grouped nicely... And these groups came before I realized they benefited from weight sorting.

[URL=http://s480.photobucket.com/user/efrrwake99/media/257%20AI/P1420109.jpg.html][Linked Image]

It worked REALLY well on a whitetail dink this fall and I expect they'll replace 100 gr Interlocks as my "go to" in that rifle. Haven't chrono'd yet, but based upon experience w/ Hunter & 100s I am pretty sure I am pushing 3450 fps w/ that load.

My 06 gets a steady diet of 165 Interlocks and a good friend uses 165 SSTs in his 308 which, while highly frangible they do the job perfectly on whitetails.
Based on very limited personal experience, but corroborated by the opinions of many whom I have learned to trust on this forum and others, I stay away from the SST's. But I like the interlocks.

What I find puzzling, is that Hornady seems to have put many more Interlocks on "Temporary suspension" than SST's. IOW, there are a lot more SST's currently available now than IL's.

So I would guess that, our experts notwithstanding, the SST's must be more popular than then IL's?
Originally Posted by ingwe
Never even tried the GMX, soooooo I don't use them, the SSTs, or the Interbonds, only Interlocks.

1 out of 4

That makes me an expert on Hornady products by Campfire standards, doesn't it?? grin

ingwe;
Top of the morning to you sir, I trust this finds you and yours doing acceptably well this snowy morning.

I'm always of two (at least confused ) minds when it comes to answering in on threads such as this because when a particular bullet works well for us we stock up and then if changes are made in manufacturing later we might not know because we're burning "old stock" so to speak.

That's where I'd be at with regards to the .308" 165gr and 180gr Interlock bullets for instance - both flat base spires and boat tailed spires.

We did launch the 165gr from a .308 Win carbine at 2600fps, an '06 at 2850fps and three different .300 Win Mag/.308 Norma rifles at 3200fps for a few seasons though - enough to get to get the flavor of what would happen when they landed into deer/bear/sheep sized animals for sure. wink

The 180gr was used in both the '06 and .300 Win Mag on a bunch of local bucks. Again enough that we could predict what would happen to the bullet when we put them in different spots on the buck.

As far as the Interbond, I killed one big for the Okanagan mulie buck with a single 180gr in a .300 Win Mag and it was most positively dead at 60-70yds. Truly ingwe, it's the only time I found the bottom tip of the heart on a log beside the deer carcass - interesting that.

I want to say I've shot at least 4 bucks with a 130gr GMX - from the cartridge that must not be named or my gender preference will be called into question....... laugh

A 3rd or 4th rack mulie caught one - it's here between a .250" 80gr TTSX and a 168gr TSX.
[Linked Image]

Finally on the subject of Hornady projectiles, I seem to be one of the few dissenting opinions on their 220gr RN bullets after launching them into a 375-400lb carcass bull moose and a first rack whitetail.

These two were caught in the moose and while it logically must have expired for me to have this forensic evidence, as a good friend said, "that's why we test bullets on things that don't bite back". whistle
[Linked Image]

Anyway that's the morning report from the south Okanagan ingwe.

All the best to you folks this weekend.

Dwayne
Are you saying that based upon the list from Hornady or upon availability thru supply houses? Seemed to me that all the SSTs were temporarily suspended, but my recollection ain't what it used to be and I haven't reviewed that Hornady list in months...

At lower speeds and on light game they've performed well for me and my friends. They're definitely frangible, but if that's what you like...
Yes, stay away from SST's.

My Dad and I have used a pile of 130gr Interlocks out of our 270's for the last 40 or so years and have never had a problem. Of course being a looney I have to flit from bullet to bullet, While my Dad being pragmatic, just keeps on killing stuff with the 130gr.

I have used the 130gr Interbonds, and they were fine. Really like the GMX's. Used a bunch of the 140gr BTSP and amazingly, they work too. I had some left over 150gr reloads that I used on couple of deer and hogs. Favorably impressed. Way better than the archaic 7x57 grin

Use the 200gr out of 338-06's with good performance. I have some 286gr for my 9.3x64's, but have punched nothing but paper. I also have some 165gr 308's to load in my newly acquired 30-06 and soon to be finished 300 H&H.

My only complaint was shooting a few deer with the 100gr out of 243. The bullets seemed too hard. Very small sample, and I am admittedly biased against 243. crazy

efw: Just looking at the Hornady website: if I counted correctly, they list 58 Interlock bullets, 35 of which are suspended. They list 21 SST's and 2 are suspended.

And all I see locally are SST's. Sure do miss my 120gr 257HP's!
I've actually seen SST's work pretty well. They were REALLY explosive at first, but I suspect Hornady started using harder core alloys, just as Nosler did after the first batches of Ballistic Tip deer bullets didn't do so well. A hunting partner in Wyoming put a 180 into a 5-point bull elk at 350 yards, using a .300 WSM, and it ended up under the hide on the far side, perfectly expanded. But I don't think they're the best choice for "woods" hunting, especially at faster velocities.

I started using Hornady Spire Points before they even had the Interlock ring, back in the 1970's, because even then they had a reputation of being tougher than other cup-and-cores. Probably they had a harder core alloy, but I put a pile of 150-grain .270's into various animals and never had a real problem. Oh, sometimes jacket and core would separate, but only after the job was done.

Since then have killed antelope, whitetails, mule deer, caribou and elk with various Interlocks, the bullets including 100 and 117-grain .25's, 130 and 150-grain .270's, 139 and 154-grain 7mm's, 165 .30's, 225 .338's and 250-grain .35's.

As a matter of fact Eileen killed a bunch of animals with 130 Interlocks before she started handloading herself, because I worked up two loads for her first .270: one with Interlocks for sight-in, practice and deer/antelope hunting, and one with 150-grain Partitions for heavier lifting. Back then we didn't have much money and Interlocks cost a lot less than Partitions! The single box of Partitions I loaded lasted until she sold the rifle years later, because they were only used on elk, moose and the occasional big buck encountered while hunting bigger stuff. In the meantime she filled several pickup trucks with Interlock 130's.

I also use 165 Interlocks in my .300 Winchester Magnum for scope-testing, because they shoot so well with Reloder 19 that any little flaw in adjustments or general ruggedness shows up quickly.
Originally Posted by powdr
....Shot his 3rd truckload of deer w/that .308 and I stupidly sold it....

EGAD !! I did the same with my first 308 rifle I purchased in 77. Stupid seems to sum it up pretty well. Have since replaced it and it seems the same if I don't think about it too much.
Dwayne, a friend of mine came about as close to being mauled as possible without being harmed by a grizzly after one of those 220 RN's from a 300 Wby came apart on the bears shoulder. An hour later the bear charged and our buddy stopped it at very close range with a single 200 gr E Tip from a 338 WM. I do like Hornady Interlocks but will stay far away from the Round Noses especially in a fast magnum round.

The 129 gr Spire Point is one of my favorite 6.5mm bullets, they have been very accurate in any rifle I have had.
Hornady's have always been my most favorite non premium slugs..

And varmint/target bullets, too...
gerrygoat,

You and Dwayne reminded me of the one Interlock I had trouble with, the discontinued 160-grain 6.5mm round-nose from a 6.5x54 Mannlicher Schoenauer at only 2200 fps. In my brief acquaintance (I didn't use it long) it acted just about every way it's possible for an expanding bullet to act.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
gerrygoat,

You and Dwayne reminded me of the one Interlock I had trouble with, the discontinued 160-grain 6.5mm round-nose from a 6.5x54 Mannlicher Schoenauer at only 2200 fps. In my brief acquaintance (I didn't use it long) it acted just about every way it's possible for an expanding bullet to act.

I still have a bunch of the 160 gr RN's but am a bit scared to use them on game because of their erratic behavior. On the plus side they are accurate and make really nice round holes on paper.

When it comes to 220 gr bullets, the 220 gr Partition is hard to beat.....
[Linked Image]

Using nothing but Hornadys for most hunting makes perfect sense and is completely logical. None of of would be the worse off if we did it.

Really?!? When people post about their favourite, most used bullet, they always claim to be using either Knoslers or Burnes. No disrespect intended here, but reading this thread suggests that most people use Hornadys.

My Spidey sense is tingling.

[Linked Image]

Now, I agree with the poster's dad. There's no need for fancy, overpriced designer bullets for most hunting. Hornady Interlocks it is. All you reloaders, buy Hornadys! There's really no need for Burnes or Knoslers! With the money you'll save, buy quality optics like Leupold.

[Linked Image]

(Dear Leupold people: Make the cheque out to Steve Redgwell, 303british.com)
gerrygoat;
It's always great to hear from you sir, I trust this finds you and yours doing acceptably well so far this year.

Thanks to you and JB for sharing your experiences with the RN bullets, it's good to know these things sometimes.

When a local shop in Penticton closed I ended up with 3 boxes of 200gr Partitions and shot a couple whitetail bucks at different angles with them just to see what they'd do.

Lets just say I'd be much more comfortable carrying my .308 Norma with 200gr Partitions in it if I ever decide to put in and get drawn for grizzly LEH.

Lastly, we've shot a bunch of 129gr Hornady in our eldest's Swede as I've been able to come up with a load that has the same point of impact as her 130gr TSX load. She's yet to "catch" one of those TSX's in an Okanagan buck gerrygoat - either mulie or whitetail.

Thanks again for your input and all the best to you this weekend.

Dwayne
There is a 7x57 in my safe that is fond of the 154 grain Interlock and it has accounted for several Whitetail and a lot of Mule deer. I have only caught a bullet twice.

This bullet was launched at about 2800 fps and killed a large Mule deer buck at 180 yards.

[Linked Image]
Guys I've seen them loose a jacket from time to time but always after the game had been decided. Of all the deer my Dad killed...and it was a bunch...the Interlokt's always did the trick. Nice opening, devastated insides and either inside or outside...a dead deer. Some of those pan handle whitetails were very big for Texas deer, 150-175lbs, but the little 117gr Interlokt took them w/o any problem what so ever. I loaded for Dad in his later years and decided to slip him some SST'S into the mix. Around Thanksgiving that year a nice little 5 point buck showed up right after daylight and he put one into the very tip of the shoulder bone. That deer ran around and flopped like a fish out of water. Upon inspection the bullet blew a 6 inch hole on the surface and some of the lead barely made to the inside of the deer. I got an awful bad look from my Dad that morning and I knew it was back to the Interlokt's and no more experiments. powdr
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
[Linked Image]

Really?!? When people post about their favourite, most used bullet, they always claim to be using either Knoslers or Burnes. No disrespect intended here, but reading this thread suggests that most people use Hornadys.

My Spidey sense is tingling.

How dare you question my veracity! shocked wink

See my earlier post, Ive used bunches of Hornadys and continue to do so,but I wouldn't be a true looney unless I used a bunch of other stuff, which I do�.

And I wouldn't be a true Campfire ex-spurt unless I expounded at length on the virtues of something I don't use all the time... whistle

And my nose isn't that long, you'll have to check another thread, it will explain that its a kazoo�.

Why, it was just a couple years ago that I killed a deer with a Hornady��honest! cool grin
Originally Posted by BC30cal
gerrygoat;
It's always great to hear from you sir, I trust this finds you and yours doing acceptably well so far this year.

Thanks to you and JB for sharing your experiences with the RN bullets, it's good to know these things sometimes.

When a local shop in Penticton closed I ended up with 3 boxes of 200gr Partitions and shot a couple whitetail bucks at different angles with them just to see what they'd do.

Lets just say I'd be much more comfortable carrying my .308 Norma with 200gr Partitions in it if I ever decide to put in and get drawn for grizzly LEH.

Lastly, we've shot a bunch of 129gr Hornady in our eldest's Swede as I've been able to come up with a load that has the same point of impact as her 130gr TSX load. She's yet to "catch" one of those TSX's in an Okanagan buck gerrygoat - either mulie or whitetail.

Thanks again for your input and all the best to you this weekend.

Dwayne

Thank you, all is well.

The 200 gr Partition from your 308 Norma is a great load for grizzly and pretty much everything else in our province.

I took out one new hunter that used the 129 gr Hornady on a black bear it worked quite well, somehow I have yet to put one on game myself but know they work well.
I even use them in my 270!

They work.
Originally Posted by plainsman456

They work.

That can't be true! shocked

I shall question your veracity! laugh
Originally Posted by plainsman456

They work.

That can't be true! shocked

I shall question your veracity! laugh

Well, if it weren't for one unfortunate shortcoming, you could be an expert. I guess Mule Deer will have to be the only one on this thread.

Some are just too hard headed to accept that the 270 and an interlock or partition is all a real hunter needs for all but the big bears. wink
Originally Posted by eyeball

Some are just too hard headed to accept that the 270 and an interlock or partition is all a real hunter needs for all but the big bears. wink

I have a friend who did just that years ago before bears became bullet proof, took out a grizzly with a cheap 130 gr bullet from his 270 Win smile
Real hunters can do stuff like that. It's been a favorite of Eskimos in their dealings with polar bears for an eternity.

IIRC Eleanor O'Connor (wife of John Woolf O'Connor) took a huge India tiger with the 270 and that was before the advent of Interlocks, though it may have been her husband who killed it.
Hard headed???�..Moi? grin
Hornady bullets do not cause as much recoil as Burnes or Knosler bullets. 'Scuse me, boolits...It's a fact!

In the 1930s, before Knoslers, they had this boolit called an H mantle. Several years later, someone "appropriated" the idea, made his own boolits and created a new industry for hunters who equated the pain of recoil with success. The "Perdition" became a big seller.

Here, famous early 20th century American hunter and explorer, Capt Spaulding, describes using a standard cup and core boolit on an African safari. He shot an an elephant. Please note that there is no mention of recoil, pain, or inaccuracy caused by the boolit itself. Ipso facto ergo soft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfN_gcjGoJo

Next, a young lady shoots a 300 Weatherby Magnum. The video was edited so you do not see her scream in agony or curse the recoil of the Knosler Perdition that almost destroyed her shoulder. Had she used an Interlock, things would have been better for her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDSLu0RNjoU

Along with sensible boolits, having a good pair of shoes is a sound investment - especially before a deer hunt. Wiser heads than me discovered this years ago. Listen and learn. Recorded in a corn field, prior to leaving for their stands. Thirty Helens agree...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDTZcj8Xink
For the last ten years or so, I've been very happy with Hornady Interlocks in 308 and 30-06 in both accuracy and performance on deer.
" In Alabama the Tuscaloosa�" laugh
Originally Posted by powdr
I've been thinking about my Dad lately. He died 3 years ago on opening of Texas deer season. He was 82 and had hunted since 1956. His original and only rifle for a while was an Enfield sporterized 30-06. He used Sierra's in the beginning but he found them too soft for his liking. He read all he could and decided to try the 150gr Interlokt. Worked like a charm.

He used that bullet until he built a 7x57 by hand and then decided the 139gr Interlokt would be the perfect mate...and it was. He killed his second truck load of deer with that gun and combination. Sometime around his early 50's he built a nice .308 mannlicher on a '98 action...and used the 150gr again in Hornady guise. Shot his 3rd truckload of deer w/that .308 and I stupidly sold it to a forum member from the Metroplex. By the way...if you are that member I'd like to buy it back.

When my Dad turned 60 he built his last rifle on a Mauser action in 257Ackley Improved. He never hesitated...a Hornady 117gr 25 caliber Interlockt got the nod. His last 10-12 years he kept killing large west Texas/ pan handle whitetails until his health declined to the point he could no longer make the trip. He use to tease me about shooting BT's but it was all in fun. I know if he was still here today he would be shooting the Hornady's in whatever caliber and killing those whitetails stone cold dead. powdr

Hopefully, if he was still here today he would whip the ever loving schit out of you for selling one of his rifles... Idiot!
I'm GUILTY, there's no two ways about it. I ended up with several of his guns and my nephew, his grandson, got the .257 Ackley and he deserved it. I kept his Mauser 7x57 and my baby brother got his Enfield 30-06. I feel terrible about it now but it seemed OK at the time. powdr
Hard headed???�..Moi? grin

I do not know about hard headed, maybe a little off center, skewed, or a can short of a six. confused

Cuz everyone knows that a 270 will kill anything it is pointed at, with whatever bullet it is loaded. What the heck is a high society 7x57 anyway, or is it a 275 Rigby? Isn't that foreign or something?

I have used/witnessed Nosler BT's, Barnes TSX and TTSX in addition to Hornady's. The ratio is probably 3:1 in favor of the Hornady's. I have what I consider to be zero experience with partitions, Sierra's and Speer's.
Ha, this^^^ grin
Originally Posted by CRS
What the heck is a high society 7x57 anyway, or is it a 275 Rigby? Isn't that foreign or something?

Sounds like eurotrash to me smile

I like the good old American 270 Win and I ain't even American grin
That's because you are part of the Empire that had some serious issues with German Eurotrash back in the forties. frown
" In Alabama the Tuscaloosa�" laugh

Yep, as an Auburn grad, I gotta find a way to work that one in on some of my Bammer buddies....

By the way Powdr, your dad was sharp enough to know what works.
Yes Hook, he grew up during the depression, in'28 and didn't have a pair of shoes until he was 6 or 7. He was a carpenter by trade and could build anything. He had his own refrigeration business, could weld, braze, solder anything as well. He hardly ever used any store bought materials but used what he had on hand. He used to say that if you had some bailing wire and a match stick you could keep a Model A or T RUNNING FOREVER. He worked on guns as a hobby and to off set his and mom's income. We spent many weekends in Tulsa buying, selling and trading. Many times he would go to Tulsa ,w/60-70 guns and come home w/50 and $3-$4000 cash. He would make many parts by hand and was a truly gifted man w/his hands...thru his mind. I was very proud of him. powdr

Originally Posted by southtexas
Based on very limited personal experience, but corroborated by the opinions of many whom I have learned to trust on this forum and others, I stay away from the SST's.

Don't always believe what you read on the internet.....most of it is BS. The SST is an accurate, reasonably priced bullet that knocks absolute hell out of deer. Go smoke a deer with one.....you will like it......trust me! laugh
I have a limited amount of experience with Hornady interlocks, but the animals shot have all went down quickly. One whitetail doe and three doe antelope with 225 gr. 338s and two white tail does with 500 gr. .458s at full steam. Never had one stop in game, but the calibers and bullets used were a tad stout for the game at hand!
I find the SST better than many claim. But I generally load heavy for calibre-ish and keep impact speeds around 2200-2700fps.

I do however find the Interlock a tougher bullet than the SST.
Hornady only? sure...just as long as you stay below 27-2800 fps...
You know, you are allowed to do that, Mr. Wet Herby�... wink grin
I'm trying to correct that...HONEST! hunting with a 303 w 215gr Woodleighs@ 2150..and IRON SIGHTS this weekend (oh and it DIY but don't let that get out lest I disappoint some here smile )
cool
I agree that hornady makes a great hunting bullet but would also rate sierra right there with them.
This could be good for beer and popcorn because Im a Sierra Hater�. grin

Fact is for deer sized game, pretty much everybody makes a good bullet nowadays�.

Fact is for deer sized game, pretty much everybody makes a good bullet nowadays�.

It's about time some one said it. Geez! grin

For the antique euro-trash cartridges with spud gun velocities most anything oughtta work...

how's that fer hatin'? laugh
You guys that love the 165 grainer, do you like the flat base or boattail version? I would like to try them in a 308
It seems that most of the rifles I have tried them in had a little better accuracy with the flat base version.

My .243 has a decided preference for the Hornady 100 grain Spirepoint flatbase, but it is nowhere to be found...

Fact is for deer sized game, pretty much everybody makes a good bullet nowadays�

I'm a Sierra hater too!

In 1978, I sent an idea for a new bullet to Sierra. At the time it was in California. I figured with my know-how and their backing, we'd make millions! I called my prototype "the Jell-O Bullet", but had to change it to the "Gel-O Bullet" because the other name was already taken. Anyway, what made my design so remarkable was that you didn't need to melt lead, or squeeze lead wire into little cylinders for bullet cores. There would be none of the problems associated with bullet production � jacket and core making, the mess and fumes. In fact, my Gel-O bullets would revolutionize traditional manufacturing methods!

When I got to their offices, I was taken to a conference room and waited for someone to look at my stuff. About fifteen minutes later, two well dressed guys showed up, introduced themselves and the meeting started.

My opening pitch was a brief. I explained that my bullets would completely change Sierra�s production methods. I told them that they no longer needed complex, expensive to maintain machinery on the production line. All they needed were bullet moulds. But I made sure they understood that it was more like making a Bundt cake, and definitely not anything complicated like bullet casting. First and foremost, you didn't have to worry about lead fumes or heat!

You took my secret recipe gel mix, added warm water and shook. After the ingredients were combined, you poured the liquid into teeny little bullet moulds and waited for the bullets to set. It took about two hours in the fridge (or five minutes outside during a Montana winter). After they were done, you opened the mould and dumped them into a box, ready for reloading! It was pure genius!

But convenience wasn�t the only thing that made my bullets great! Like dessert Jell-O, the bullets could be made into any colour you wanted, by adding the contents of a small colour packet included with the kit. For example, I colour coded my own bullets - red for varmint, yellow for long range, blue for RNs, etc. You could colourize them according to diameter, the cartridge or whatever. In other words, you could personalize them the way you wanted. The possibilities were endless.

Thinking back, the meeting was tense. I believe that my idea probably intimidated them. After all, Sierra had been making bullets for a long time. My new approach would have made their old timey production methods obsolete. I suppose I threatened the continued viability of their business. The one fellow stared at me throughout the entire presentation, but said nothing. The younger guy sitting beside him asked a couple of questions, but seemed cool to the idea as well. I could sense that they weren't interested, but pressed on with the proposal. The only thing that the younger guy said was the idea of making bullets different colours was - how did he put it? Fatuous. Whatever that means.

I cannot remember the exact conversation, but he commented that the bullets looked like plastic. Plastic, he said, would never be used on bullets because the heat associated with discharging a firearm would smear and subsequently foul the bore. That was a no-no.

I wasn't about to give up, so I carried on with my pitch.

"I feel that you might be concerned about the bullets after they set. The mix might look fragile, but after the bullets have hardened, they are sturdier than any cup and core bullet made today. In fact, my good friend Nelford Beardsley calls them 'petrified turds'. Nelford has a way with the English language and picks his phrases carefully. I think his description is spot on!"

The older guy gave me a funny look, but still said nothing, so I continued.

"You might also be worried about how my monolithic bullet performs when it hits flesh or bone. There's no need to be worried about terminal performance. The Gel-O Bullet stays together, but mushrooms as it enters, much the same as a child's rubber ball flexes when it's bounced off a wall. It flattens slightly, but the energy pushes it forward and it doesn�t come apart. This creates a wide wound channel. The material is flexible, but tough!"

You could have heard a pin drop. I figured that I was finally getting through to them. They were so intent on the idea that no one said a word. I pressed on.

"The first time everything was mixed together, I discovered an unexpected bonus! Since the Gel-O Bullet is made of all natural ingredients, there's no danger of lead poisoning or sickness from accidental ingestion. That makes them safe for animals and the environment. In fact, Nelford and I discovered that you could eat these bullets - they're quite chewy actually - should you find yourself in a survival situation. The truth be told, Nelford ate my first box of bullets, thinking they were Gummi Bears."

We were sitting at this large table. I had the Gel-O Bullets laid out so the Sierra guys could see them and examine everything. The trouble was, they never picked up a single one. Come to think of it, I don�t believe that they actually looked at them at all! After I was finished the presentation, the silver haired fellow thanked me for dropping by. The younger guy gave me a couple of nice Sierra polo shirts and walked me to the door. He was very polite and said that they would be in touch.

That was thirty five years ago. They still haven't phoned or even sent me a letter. I'll give them a little longer and then pitch the Gel-O bullet idea to Hornady. I think Steve Hornady is a sensible person and won't make me wait so long for an answer.
Well! It's no wonder you're a Sierra hater, Steve. I would be, too, if I had put all that time and effort into a stand-out product, and was totally dissed for my effort. Although, the polo shirts would have been nice. It sounds as though you're on to something, and I'd like to discuss a partnership to form a new bullshi... er, ah, boollit company to run the others (except Hornady) out of business. Where should I send the first check?
Thats one of the reasons I am a Sierra hater Steve. I heard this story of how they snubbed you�.. grin
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I could hunt the rest of my life with Hornady bullets. I'm a little partial to them, because they just plain work..

]

I have to admit. I have tried others and ALWAYS wound up back with Hornadys. To preface that, I use Barnes TSX for moose.

ALL of our deer hunting is down with reloads. My wife, son, and I shoot nothing BUT. I even use the 87 grain spire point which was listed in their manual as a varmint bullet. In the latest Hornady manual I have, I can not find such information. I honestly don't know how many different caliber rifles I load for but it is my best hobby.

Gotta make sure you don't shoot one that over penetrates.
Originally Posted by Steelhead

ME NEITHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally Posted by cooperfan
You guys that love the 165 grainer, do you like the flat base or boattail version? I would like to try them in a 308

I don't know where you intend to hunt deer, but there really isn't an advantage using BTs unless you're shooting long range. For a 308, that would be in excess of 400 yd. Some shooters like the idea that the bullet seats easier because of the BT, but a slight chamfer on the case mouth is all it takes to seat a FB bullet. I've always been a believer in long shanks for accuracy in hunting rifles.

Originally Posted by shootinurse
Well! It's no wonder you're a Sierra hater, Steve. I would be, too, if I had put all that time and effort into a stand-out product, and was totally dissed for my effort. Although, the polo shirts would have been nice. It sounds as though you're on to something, and I'd like to discuss a partnership to form a new bullshi... er, ah, boollit company to run the others (except Hornady) out of business. Where should I send the first check?

Thanks for your confidence! You can make the checks payable to me. I'll set up a company overseas (Nigeria) where the taxes are lower...

Thats one of the reasons I am a Sierra hater Steve. I heard this story of how they snubbed you�.. grin

I sort of understand how they felt. They were scared. A man can do crazy things when his livelihood is threatened. The other thing was the shirts. Okay, it was nice of them to give me a couple, but they only lasted for about fifteen years before holes appeared in the material. Damned planned obsolescence!
I've used the 6.5mm 140g IL and recently the 6.5mm 129g IL on deer. No complaints with either. They are very accurate and so far have just plain got the job done with no surprises. I kind of wish I had bought a few hundred of the 129g IL as I'm down to my last loaded 10 rounds or so.

But I think I might give the 140g Speer HC a try next, because, well... just because! I haven't ever used it on game, I have 400+ of them, and my rifle shoots them quite well with a max charge of RL-22. It's fun to have choices, even If I find myself coming back to the 129g IL years from now wondering why I ever stopped using it. wink
the brand I use varies with the caliber and cartridge but the vast majority use SPEER and HORNADY, those are the brands I use in most of my rifles, with only a few rifle caliber combinations, that I find I use remington and winchester bullets
Ive found that as long as you select a bullet with at least a .270 sectional density and don,t push the limits on velocity you seldom if ever have problems, and theres been no benefit to paying the higher cost of premium bullets
All of the bullets immediately above have a sectional density over .260 and most exceed .270. Bullets of this sectional density, if adequately constructed, have proven able to penetrate deep into large game animals.

these are the bullets most of the guys in my elk camp use and I can,t remember single bullet failure

cal .277..speer 150 grain
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=000211605

cal .30...speer 200 grain
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=000212211

cal .338 hornady 250 grain
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/76...iameter-250-grain-spire-point-box-of-100

cal .358 .speer 250 grain
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=000212453

cal .375 hornady 270 grain
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/93...diameter-270-grain-spire-point-box-of-50

cal .458 remington 405 grain.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/16...rnment-458-diameter-405-grain-soft-point
How about Speer Hot Core i have used them for years in 30/06 , never had a failure
, an always pass through, 165gr flat base at 2700 fps
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell

Thanks for your confidence! You can make the checks payable to me. I'll set up a company overseas (Nigeria) where the taxes are lower...

[
You stand out there by the mailbox. The check will be along, and I don't want you to miss it. The Redgwell Lead-free Biodegradable Boolit Company, LLC, has a certain ring to it. cool
Thanks for the comments guys. I think the crazy part about this thread is that I've never hunted w/Hornady bullets. I was raised in the generation of ballistic tips and have used them all of my life...mainly in .25cal and .284cal. They, like the Hornady's for Dad have never let me down. So it goes w/different hunters, some being light and fast and some being big and slow bullet lovers, it depends much on your upbringing and the time that occurred. I am rebuilding an 1895 Savage in .303 and thought I'd load the 150gr bullets to get the most velocity. Not so say the old timers or one's that know the cartridge. It's all about the 190gr cast or soft nosed bullets going around 2000fps and able to penetrate 9in of a white pine tree. Reckon that would penetrate about anything in north America and still w/a 1000lbs of energy at 200yards. No wonder the early New England hunters favored it for moose. powdr
Progress has given us many things - but they aren't always necessary for a successful hunt. Polymer tips, monolithic bullets, range finders, camoed, charcoal lined hunting duds, etc. have their place, but it's mostly fluff.

The old timers are right. A 190 gr. bullet from your Savage will drop pretty much everything on the continent. It's funny how a silly old cast bullet can still work. They're cheaper, functional and matched to the cartridge. No need for computer generated drop tables, energy computations, gummi tipped bullets or anything high tech. Don't let ad hype fool you into buying something that you don't need.

Hunting is about the chase, enjoying God's great outdoors and, if we're lucky, eating well.
Yeah Steve, if I was younger I'd probably be into the whole long range, turret twisting thing but I'm not going to complicate my later years of w/new gadgets...I'm just going to enjoy them. powdr
© 24hourcampfire