-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I find the SST better than many claim. But I generally load heavy for calibre-ish and keep impact speeds around 2200-2700fps.

I do however find the Interlock a tougher bullet than the SST.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hornady only? sure...just as long as you stay below 27-2800 fps...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
You know, you are allowed to do that, Mr. Wet Herby�... wink grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm trying to correct that...HONEST! hunting with a 303 w 215gr Woodleighs@ 2150..and IRON SIGHTS this weekend (oh and it DIY but don't let that get out lest I disappoint some here smile )

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
cool

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I agree that hornady makes a great hunting bullet but would also rate sierra right there with them.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
This could be good for beer and popcorn because Im a Sierra Hater�. grin

Fact is for deer sized game, pretty much everybody makes a good bullet nowadays�.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe

Fact is for deer sized game, pretty much everybody makes a good bullet nowadays�.

It's about time some one said it. Geez! grin

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

For the antique euro-trash cartridges with spud gun velocities most anything oughtta work...

how's that fer hatin'? laugh

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You guys that love the 165 grainer, do you like the flat base or boattail version? I would like to try them in a 308

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It seems that most of the rifles I have tried them in had a little better accuracy with the flat base version.

My .243 has a decided preference for the Hornady 100 grain Spirepoint flatbase, but it is nowhere to be found...

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S

Fact is for deer sized game, pretty much everybody makes a good bullet nowadays�

I'm a Sierra hater too!

In 1978, I sent an idea for a new bullet to Sierra. At the time it was in California. I figured with my know-how and their backing, we'd make millions! I called my prototype "the Jell-O Bullet", but had to change it to the "Gel-O Bullet" because the other name was already taken. Anyway, what made my design so remarkable was that you didn't need to melt lead, or squeeze lead wire into little cylinders for bullet cores. There would be none of the problems associated with bullet production � jacket and core making, the mess and fumes. In fact, my Gel-O bullets would revolutionize traditional manufacturing methods!

When I got to their offices, I was taken to a conference room and waited for someone to look at my stuff. About fifteen minutes later, two well dressed guys showed up, introduced themselves and the meeting started.

My opening pitch was a brief. I explained that my bullets would completely change Sierra�s production methods. I told them that they no longer needed complex, expensive to maintain machinery on the production line. All they needed were bullet moulds. But I made sure they understood that it was more like making a Bundt cake, and definitely not anything complicated like bullet casting. First and foremost, you didn't have to worry about lead fumes or heat!

You took my secret recipe gel mix, added warm water and shook. After the ingredients were combined, you poured the liquid into teeny little bullet moulds and waited for the bullets to set. It took about two hours in the fridge (or five minutes outside during a Montana winter). After they were done, you opened the mould and dumped them into a box, ready for reloading! It was pure genius!

But convenience wasn�t the only thing that made my bullets great! Like dessert Jell-O, the bullets could be made into any colour you wanted, by adding the contents of a small colour packet included with the kit. For example, I colour coded my own bullets - red for varmint, yellow for long range, blue for RNs, etc. You could colourize them according to diameter, the cartridge or whatever. In other words, you could personalize them the way you wanted. The possibilities were endless.

Thinking back, the meeting was tense. I believe that my idea probably intimidated them. After all, Sierra had been making bullets for a long time. My new approach would have made their old timey production methods obsolete. I suppose I threatened the continued viability of their business. The one fellow stared at me throughout the entire presentation, but said nothing. The younger guy sitting beside him asked a couple of questions, but seemed cool to the idea as well. I could sense that they weren't interested, but pressed on with the proposal. The only thing that the younger guy said was the idea of making bullets different colours was - how did he put it? Fatuous. Whatever that means.

I cannot remember the exact conversation, but he commented that the bullets looked like plastic. Plastic, he said, would never be used on bullets because the heat associated with discharging a firearm would smear and subsequently foul the bore. That was a no-no.

I wasn't about to give up, so I carried on with my pitch.

"I feel that you might be concerned about the bullets after they set. The mix might look fragile, but after the bullets have hardened, they are sturdier than any cup and core bullet made today. In fact, my good friend Nelford Beardsley calls them 'petrified turds'. Nelford has a way with the English language and picks his phrases carefully. I think his description is spot on!"

The older guy gave me a funny look, but still said nothing, so I continued.

"You might also be worried about how my monolithic bullet performs when it hits flesh or bone. There's no need to be worried about terminal performance. The Gel-O Bullet stays together, but mushrooms as it enters, much the same as a child's rubber ball flexes when it's bounced off a wall. It flattens slightly, but the energy pushes it forward and it doesn�t come apart. This creates a wide wound channel. The material is flexible, but tough!"

You could have heard a pin drop. I figured that I was finally getting through to them. They were so intent on the idea that no one said a word. I pressed on.

"The first time everything was mixed together, I discovered an unexpected bonus! Since the Gel-O Bullet is made of all natural ingredients, there's no danger of lead poisoning or sickness from accidental ingestion. That makes them safe for animals and the environment. In fact, Nelford and I discovered that you could eat these bullets - they're quite chewy actually - should you find yourself in a survival situation. The truth be told, Nelford ate my first box of bullets, thinking they were Gummi Bears."

We were sitting at this large table. I had the Gel-O Bullets laid out so the Sierra guys could see them and examine everything. The trouble was, they never picked up a single one. Come to think of it, I don�t believe that they actually looked at them at all! After I was finished the presentation, the silver haired fellow thanked me for dropping by. The younger guy gave me a couple of nice Sierra polo shirts and walked me to the door. He was very polite and said that they would be in touch.

That was thirty five years ago. They still haven't phoned or even sent me a letter. I'll give them a little longer and then pitch the Gel-O bullet idea to Hornady. I think Steve Hornady is a sensible person and won't make me wait so long for an answer.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Well! It's no wonder you're a Sierra hater, Steve. I would be, too, if I had put all that time and effort into a stand-out product, and was totally dissed for my effort. Although, the polo shirts would have been nice. It sounds as though you're on to something, and I'd like to discuss a partnership to form a new bullshi... er, ah, boollit company to run the others (except Hornady) out of business. Where should I send the first check?

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Thats one of the reasons I am a Sierra hater Steve. I heard this story of how they snubbed you�.. grin

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I could hunt the rest of my life with Hornady bullets. I'm a little partial to them, because they just plain work..

]

I have to admit. I have tried others and ALWAYS wound up back with Hornadys. To preface that, I use Barnes TSX for moose.

ALL of our deer hunting is down with reloads. My wife, son, and I shoot nothing BUT. I even use the 87 grain spire point which was listed in their manual as a varmint bullet. In the latest Hornady manual I have, I can not find such information. I honestly don't know how many different caliber rifles I load for but it is my best hobby.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M

Gotta make sure you don't shoot one that over penetrates.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
You couldn't pay me to use an SST.

ME NEITHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by cooperfan
You guys that love the 165 grainer, do you like the flat base or boattail version? I would like to try them in a 308

I don't know where you intend to hunt deer, but there really isn't an advantage using BTs unless you're shooting long range. For a 308, that would be in excess of 400 yd. Some shooters like the idea that the bullet seats easier because of the BT, but a slight chamfer on the case mouth is all it takes to seat a FB bullet. I've always been a believer in long shanks for accuracy in hunting rifles.

Originally Posted by shootinurse
Well! It's no wonder you're a Sierra hater, Steve. I would be, too, if I had put all that time and effort into a stand-out product, and was totally dissed for my effort. Although, the polo shirts would have been nice. It sounds as though you're on to something, and I'd like to discuss a partnership to form a new bullshi... er, ah, boollit company to run the others (except Hornady) out of business. Where should I send the first check?

Thanks for your confidence! You can make the checks payable to me. I'll set up a company overseas (Nigeria) where the taxes are lower...

Thats one of the reasons I am a Sierra hater Steve. I heard this story of how they snubbed you�.. grin

I sort of understand how they felt. They were scared. A man can do crazy things when his livelihood is threatened. The other thing was the shirts. Okay, it was nice of them to give me a couple, but they only lasted for about fifteen years before holes appeared in the material. Damned planned obsolescence!

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've used the 6.5mm 140g IL and recently the 6.5mm 129g IL on deer. No complaints with either. They are very accurate and so far have just plain got the job done with no surprises. I kind of wish I had bought a few hundred of the 129g IL as I'm down to my last loaded 10 rounds or so.

But I think I might give the 140g Speer HC a try next, because, well... just because! I haven't ever used it on game, I have 400+ of them, and my rifle shoots them quite well with a max charge of RL-22. It's fun to have choices, even If I find myself coming back to the 129g IL years from now wondering why I ever stopped using it. wink

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
the brand I use varies with the caliber and cartridge but the vast majority use SPEER and HORNADY, those are the brands I use in most of my rifles, with only a few rifle caliber combinations, that I find I use remington and winchester bullets
Ive found that as long as you select a bullet with at least a .270 sectional density and don,t push the limits on velocity you seldom if ever have problems, and theres been no benefit to paying the higher cost of premium bullets
All of the bullets immediately above have a sectional density over .260 and most exceed .270. Bullets of this sectional density, if adequately constructed, have proven able to penetrate deep into large game animals.

these are the bullets most of the guys in my elk camp use and I can,t remember single bullet failure

cal .277..speer 150 grain
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=000211605

cal .30...speer 200 grain
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=000212211

cal .338 hornady 250 grain
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/76...iameter-250-grain-spire-point-box-of-100

cal .358 .speer 250 grain
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=000212453

cal .375 hornady 270 grain
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/93...diameter-270-grain-spire-point-box-of-50

cal .458 remington 405 grain.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/16...rnment-458-diameter-405-grain-soft-point

Last edited by 340mag; 01/29/14.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (1minute, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 22250rem, 1badf350, 67 invisible), 2,475 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,949
Posts18,519,233
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.