Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BC30cal
gerrygoat;
It's always great to hear from you sir, I trust this finds you and yours doing acceptably well so far this year.

Thanks to you and JB for sharing your experiences with the RN bullets, it's good to know these things sometimes.

When a local shop in Penticton closed I ended up with 3 boxes of 200gr Partitions and shot a couple whitetail bucks at different angles with them just to see what they'd do.

Lets just say I'd be much more comfortable carrying my .308 Norma with 200gr Partitions in it if I ever decide to put in and get drawn for grizzly LEH.

Lastly, we've shot a bunch of 129gr Hornady in our eldest's Swede as I've been able to come up with a load that has the same point of impact as her 130gr TSX load. She's yet to "catch" one of those TSX's in an Okanagan buck gerrygoat - either mulie or whitetail.

Thanks again for your input and all the best to you this weekend.

Dwayne

Thank you, all is well.

The 200 gr Partition from your 308 Norma is a great load for grizzly and pretty much everything else in our province.

I took out one new hunter that used the 129 gr Hornady on a black bear it worked quite well, somehow I have yet to put one on game myself but know they work well.

Last edited by gerrygoat; 01/25/14.

Gerry.
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I even use them in my 270!

They work.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by plainsman456

They work.

That can't be true! shocked

I shall question your veracity! laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by plainsman456

They work.

That can't be true! shocked

I shall question your veracity! laugh

Well, if it weren't for one unfortunate shortcoming, you could be an expert. I guess Mule Deer will have to be the only one on this thread.

Some are just too hard headed to accept that the 270 and an interlock or partition is all a real hunter needs for all but the big bears. wink

Last edited by eyeball; 01/25/14.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by eyeball

Some are just too hard headed to accept that the 270 and an interlock or partition is all a real hunter needs for all but the big bears. wink

I have a friend who did just that years ago before bears became bullet proof, took out a grizzly with a cheap 130 gr bullet from his 270 Win smile

Gerry.
IC B2

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Real hunters can do stuff like that. It's been a favorite of Eskimos in their dealings with polar bears for an eternity.

IIRC Eleanor O'Connor (wife of John Woolf O'Connor) took a huge India tiger with the 270 and that was before the advent of Interlocks, though it may have been her husband who killed it.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Hard headed???�..Moi? grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Hornady bullets do not cause as much recoil as Burnes or Knosler bullets. 'Scuse me, boolits...It's a fact!

In the 1930s, before Knoslers, they had this boolit called an H mantle. Several years later, someone "appropriated" the idea, made his own boolits and created a new industry for hunters who equated the pain of recoil with success. The "Perdition" became a big seller.

Here, famous early 20th century American hunter and explorer, Capt Spaulding, describes using a standard cup and core boolit on an African safari. He shot an an elephant. Please note that there is no mention of recoil, pain, or inaccuracy caused by the boolit itself. Ipso facto ergo soft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfN_gcjGoJo

Next, a young lady shoots a 300 Weatherby Magnum. The video was edited so you do not see her scream in agony or curse the recoil of the Knosler Perdition that almost destroyed her shoulder. Had she used an Interlock, things would have been better for her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDSLu0RNjoU

Along with sensible boolits, having a good pair of shoes is a sound investment - especially before a deer hunt. Wiser heads than me discovered this years ago. Listen and learn. Recorded in a corn field, prior to leaving for their stands. Thirty Helens agree...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDTZcj8Xink

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For the last ten years or so, I've been very happy with Hornady Interlocks in 308 and 30-06 in both accuracy and performance on deer.

Karma and Trouble have busses, and there's always an empty seat.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
" In Alabama the Tuscaloosa�" laugh

IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by powdr
I've been thinking about my Dad lately. He died 3 years ago on opening of Texas deer season. He was 82 and had hunted since 1956. His original and only rifle for a while was an Enfield sporterized 30-06. He used Sierra's in the beginning but he found them too soft for his liking. He read all he could and decided to try the 150gr Interlokt. Worked like a charm.

He used that bullet until he built a 7x57 by hand and then decided the 139gr Interlokt would be the perfect mate...and it was. He killed his second truck load of deer with that gun and combination. Sometime around his early 50's he built a nice .308 mannlicher on a '98 action...and used the 150gr again in Hornady guise. Shot his 3rd truckload of deer w/that .308 and I stupidly sold it to a forum member from the Metroplex. By the way...if you are that member I'd like to buy it back.

When my Dad turned 60 he built his last rifle on a Mauser action in 257Ackley Improved. He never hesitated...a Hornady 117gr 25 caliber Interlockt got the nod. His last 10-12 years he kept killing large west Texas/ pan handle whitetails until his health declined to the point he could no longer make the trip. He use to tease me about shooting BT's but it was all in fun. I know if he was still here today he would be shooting the Hornady's in whatever caliber and killing those whitetails stone cold dead. powdr

Hopefully, if he was still here today he would whip the ever loving schit out of you for selling one of his rifles... Idiot!

P
powdr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'm GUILTY, there's no two ways about it. I ended up with several of his guns and my nephew, his grandson, got the .257 Ackley and he deserved it. I kept his Mauser 7x57 and my baby brother got his Enfield 30-06. I feel terrible about it now but it seemed OK at the time. powdr

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hard headed???�..Moi? grin

I do not know about hard headed, maybe a little off center, skewed, or a can short of a six. confused

Cuz everyone knows that a 270 will kill anything it is pointed at, with whatever bullet it is loaded. What the heck is a high society 7x57 anyway, or is it a 275 Rigby? Isn't that foreign or something?

I have used/witnessed Nosler BT's, Barnes TSX and TTSX in addition to Hornady's. The ratio is probably 3:1 in favor of the Hornady's. I have what I consider to be zero experience with partitions, Sierra's and Speer's.

Arcus Venator
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Ha, this^^^ grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CRS
What the heck is a high society 7x57 anyway, or is it a 275 Rigby? Isn't that foreign or something?

Sounds like eurotrash to me smile

I like the good old American 270 Win and I ain't even American grin

Gerry.
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's because you are part of the Empire that had some serious issues with German Eurotrash back in the forties. frown

Arcus Venator
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
" In Alabama the Tuscaloosa�" laugh

Yep, as an Auburn grad, I gotta find a way to work that one in on some of my Bammer buddies....

By the way Powdr, your dad was sharp enough to know what works.

P
powdr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Yes Hook, he grew up during the depression, in'28 and didn't have a pair of shoes until he was 6 or 7. He was a carpenter by trade and could build anything. He had his own refrigeration business, could weld, braze, solder anything as well. He hardly ever used any store bought materials but used what he had on hand. He used to say that if you had some bailing wire and a match stick you could keep a Model A or T RUNNING FOREVER. He worked on guns as a hobby and to off set his and mom's income. We spent many weekends in Tulsa buying, selling and trading. Many times he would go to Tulsa ,w/60-70 guns and come home w/50 and $3-$4000 cash. He would make many parts by hand and was a truly gifted man w/his hands...thru his mind. I was very proud of him. powdr

Last edited by powdr; 01/27/14.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by southtexas
Based on very limited personal experience, but corroborated by the opinions of many whom I have learned to trust on this forum and others, I stay away from the SST's.

Don't always believe what you read on the internet.....most of it is BS. The SST is an accurate, reasonably priced bullet that knocks absolute hell out of deer. Go smoke a deer with one.....you will like it......trust me! laugh

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have a limited amount of experience with Hornady interlocks, but the animals shot have all went down quickly. One whitetail doe and three doe antelope with 225 gr. 338s and two white tail does with 500 gr. .458s at full steam. Never had one stop in game, but the calibers and bullets used were a tad stout for the game at hand!

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

621 members (16gage, 1moredeer, 1badf350, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 60 invisible), 3,055 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,959
Posts18,519,440
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.