Home
It seems that too often my hand held opener hides among the cleaning equipment and reloading supplies. Sometimes I have to resort to using pliers to open my Negra Modelo. Any thoughts on a wall mounted opener?
Peasant, that's what servants are for.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Cool,a stealth bottle opener.

I like the servant idea. However, I can load with a bottle in one hand but with a servant in my lap the loading process would grind to a halt.
[Linked Image]
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/8372796/1
Have you tried these?
Ronnie
I have one of BlackFrog's openers and they are fantastic.
The trigger guard of a mint pre-war Colt 1911 works pretty good.
Strike plate on door jamb. Thats some proper ghetto style..
http://realbullet.com/real-bullet-bottle-opener
Luckily, during one of the Beer Shortages of the 70's, my family had the foresight to stock up, so I have no short supply of quality brew with pull tops.

[Linked Image]

I'm ready to start gouging all you sons a bitches when the bottom falls out.
DRINKING ?, while loading shells!

Remind me NOT to borrow ammo....
Ima installing a beer tap on my bench.
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Ima installing a beer tap on my bench.

Alcohol? What would Mother say?? grin

[Linked Image]
I use one of these�.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by ingwe
I use one of these�.

[Linked Image]

I still have a hard time rending meat without that.
Originally Posted by jwall

I wasn't going to lend you any of my ammo anyway. Besides, I'm very careful not to spill beer in my powder. It would be a waste of good beer.
If all else fails, just use your front teeth.

I have an old wall mounted Pepsi bottle opener in my shop, that hung on my Pop's shop wall for decades, after hanging on my Granddad's shop wall for as long back as I can remember. God knows how many beers that thing opened up. Strangely enough though, not very many Pepsis.
Originally Posted by doubletap
Originally Posted by jwall

I wasn't going to lend you any of my ammo anyway. Besides, I'm very careful not to spill beer in my powder. It would be a waste of good beer.

I actually gotta agree with jwall here�.if Ive had anything at all to drink within a few hours of reloading, I don't reload.

But you know me..I cant pass up an opportunity at a tongue in cheek post! grin grin
So buzzed loading is drunk loading?
Yes. And you don't want a DWR on your record.
You need to do a PSA laugh
The doc just did one of those on me this spring�..
I use one of these�.

[Linked Image]

+1. I brought a few of these back from Namibia as gifts, and my friends still haven't stopped talking about them. I think I bought them in the airport crap shop while waiting for my flight, after I realized I hadn't bought anyone anything!
The doc just did one of those on me this spring�..

A public service announcement? eek
Yeah. He made a commercial basically about my checkup.

Titled it something like " A Body is a terrible thing to waste"
A/K/A "Ice in Sipping Whiskey vs Dementia: Which is the cause and which is the effect?"
Originally Posted by mathman
A/K/A "Ice in Sipping Whiskey vs Dementia: Which is the cause and which is the effect?"

I hope it received government funding.

More pertinent in today's society than if frogs hump during daylight when the humidity is above 95%.
We are gonna have a whiskey tasting here this weekend. Im stocking up on ice. grin

Templeton Rye
Rebecca Creek
Woodford Reserve
Buffalo Trace

For starters grin
Originally Posted by RWE
Originally Posted by mathman

I hope it received government funding.

It will receive govt. funding as soon as my first social security check clears�. grin
Friends and I will be doing it up on the Fourth.

Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye
Van Winkle Lot B
George T. Stagg
Wild Turkey American Spirit
Eagle Rare Single Barrel, from a particularly good barrel chosen by a local restauranteur (He did a nice job too.)

Others as well, but those are the primary spirits.
We are gonna have a whiskey tasting here this weekend. Im stocking up on ice. grin

Templeton Rye
Rebecca Creek
Woodford Reserve
Buffalo Trace

For starters grin

You want me to mail you a bottle of Early Times? whistle
Originally Posted by RWE
Luckily, during one of the Beer Shortages of the 70's, my family had the foresight to stock up, so I have no short supply of quality brew with pull tops.

[Linked Image]

That's nice....I will be trading 22 LR's to get that good stuff.
Originally Posted by MagMarc
You want me to mail you a bottle of Early Times? whistle

Early Times and Schlitz boiler-makers...breakfast of champions! sick
In truth, it's hard to argue with that TV commercial: a pair of Channel Lock pliers.
Happy B Day there Ingwe!!

Looks like you're ready to celebrate. <G>
Originally Posted by HawkI
Originally Posted by RWE

That's nice....I will be trading 22 LR's to get that good stuff.

Travis has dibs on the Schlitz. He's trying to get some CB's off a Shrap.
One thing about it though, that Schlitz would taste just as good as when it was put in the can. smile
The new Schlitz uses the 1960's formula, the same one as when they were the largest brewer in the US.
Use my snuff can.
I like the wall mounted types. They're always there.

Travis
Originally Posted by 65X54
One thing about it though, that Schlitz would taste just as good as when it was put in the can. smile

Laffin'....Yep.
Gosh, I might see if I can find some Schlitz and head to the lease this evening...just for old times sake.
If your 'hand-held' opener keeps getting lost, I'd suggest either a wall-mounted bottle opener(as suggested above), or do what I do and carry a pocket-knife which includes a caplifter. I always, and I do mean always, carry either an American style camp/utility ('scout')folder, or a Swiss 'Army' knife. I discovered that I no longer have to search every drawer in the kitchen for a can-opener when I want to open a can of beans, either.
The best for a gun room would be a magnum Mauser action, mounted vertically on the wall, facing down. There's nothing like that massive claw extractor for making sure the cap comes off in a CONTROLLED manner....
Originally Posted by deflave

Travis

Agreed.

[Linked Image]
speaking of controlled manner... my grandfather gave me an old stag handled English bottle opener, but it has a little magnet near the claw, so the cap doesn't go anywhere. Maybe less efficient when opening large quantities, but still a cool touch.

I actually gotta agree with jwall here&#133;.if Ive had anything at all to drink within a few hours of reloading, I don't reload.

But you know me..I cant pass up an opportunity at a tongue in cheek post! grin grin

If I followed that rule, I'd have to just buy factory ammo...
laugh blush
I just slum cans...
They put beer in cans?

Who knew? grin
I've drunk gunsmithed and reloaded more than any of you tea toddler [bleep].

Wall mount.

Travis

Wall mount.

Travis

tea toddler?
Don't question my drunk spelling either.

Travis
But if I piss you off now, you won't remember it in the morning�.. grin
Best bottle opener is my wife.....just call her in from the living room to open the bottle.

If that fails, there's always the P-38 on my key ring.

Travis

Why does that not surprise me?
They put beer in cans?

Who knew? grin

Only [bleep] beer.

Travis

Follow up ??

Do you still have a nose?

Both eyes?

8 fingers?

2 thumbs?

laugh laugh laugh

I hope so, do you remember your mind? <GRIN>
You didn't keep your old Scout knife?

[Linked Image]
In parts of central Europe it's traditional to have something to drink BEFORE you go sit in the hunting stand. In Germany I heard this called "aiming fluid," which not only calms the nerves but dilates the pupils a little.
Schnapps?
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
In parts of central Europe it's traditional to have something to drink BEFORE you go sit in the hunting stand. In Germany I heard this called "aiming fluid," which not only calms the nerves but dilates the pupils a little.

Sounds like a new micro brew is needed: Exit Pupil Lager

Dang, we do that every weekend. It ain't the Germans who started it. We Irish have done it for generations. Sheesh!!
Depends on the crowd and the country. In the Czech Republic there's a liqueur like Jagermeister, traditionally accompanied by a beer. Or at least it was among the guys I hunted with. I made the mistake of drinking the beer and passing on the liqueur. Should have done it the other way around, as I apparently have very efficient kidneys.

Never have seen anybody drink more than a very little before hunting over there, but have seen them drink quite a bit afterward!

Travis

Same with a pocket knife.
RevMike,

Eileen and I hunted in Ireland a few years ago. An American friend went along and discovered Irish whiskey the evening before we started hunting, thanks to our hosts being very generous in the saloon. Despite about six hours of sleep, our friend was still somewhat relaxed when we went hunting the next morning. Though it apparently didn't help his shooting.
We have two of the old Dazey's (my wife's maiden name) that mount to the wall that have the magnet that catches the cap. One in each house. Works like a charm.
Robertson screw heads and twist off's. That's all this Canadian is sayin'.
May not be the best,

[Linked Image]

but it is definitely the one that is used the most.

[Linked Image]

a Boker Top Lock Auto. I'd bet I've opened over 3,000 Negra Modelo bottles with this EDC since 2003.

Best,

GWB

The Swede's I hunt with do the same thing. A little sniff of whisky, followed by a handshake and exchange of the word "Skitjakt!"

Skitjakt translates to Shhit Hunting which is like telling an performer to "break a leg!"
Originally Posted by haverluk
[quote=Mule Deer]In parts of central Europe it's traditional to have something to drink BEFORE you go sit in the hunting stand. In Germany I heard this called "aiming fluid," which not only calms the nerves but dilates the pupils a little.

Hell, most of the Caswell county boys I know are way ahead of the curve. They take a cooler up in the stand with them.
My GF brought me a bottle of pot still whiskey from the Bushmills distillery in Ireland, a special limited edition run. I stopped off at the trap/skeet club on the way home with it to shoot a couple rounds. After telling my Irish buddy there about her magnanimity and how I planned to ration it on special occasions, he poked me in the chest and said, "It's just fookin' (his pronunciation) whisky, drink the fookin' sh*t!" So we did. Not much shooting got done that day...

Beer in cans is making a huge comeback amongst the micro brew crowd. It would seem that advances in can technology (the lining thereof) have made the old distaste for canned (versus bottled) beer a moot point. I still reach for the bottled six packs though.
The canned beer revolution has even reached Montana. The local micro-brew I usually buy is Lewis & Clark Brewery's Tumbleweed IPA. I've never seen it in bottles.
Growing up, we kept these on our key chains. We called them "church keys" and having one was a rite of passage for teen boys.

So, my answer for what would be the best opener would be...a church key, attached to your keys.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Rare poster, saw this and I thought I'd chime in, 16d nail pounded in an up angle, catches the bottle cap perfect on the head
Originally Posted by carp
Rare poster, saw this and I thought I'd chime in, 16d nail pounded in an up angle, catches the bottle cap perfect on the head

Wow, that's easy.

I was going to say a Glock field knife! grin

Or the latch on a 20mm ammo can.

Sycamore
[Linked Image]

A Bisley hammer from a loaded revolver would suit a gun room well!
I'd have an indoor bullet trap and require a bottle cap be shot before the next beer could be opened with the Bisley. When you get too drunk to shoot the bottle cap, you've had too many.
Originally Posted by calikooknic

Travis

Not if you reload naked.

Travis
I tried that once, using an RCBS chargemaster. Somehow, random charge weights kept getting punched in on the keyboard, didn't work worth spit.
Chargemaster? Those things are gay.

Travis
Originally Posted by calikooknic

Travis

Not if you reload naked.

Travis

Damn....I guess the pocket knife thing is out for me then.

I travel for a living and have been stuck in many a hotel room with no bottle opener. I've found the striker plate to the bathroom door to be a field expedient bottle opener. You have to wrap a towel around the neck of the bottle because you've got it turned sideways when the top comes off and a little will pour out, but other than that it works just dandy.

"I travel for a living and have been stuck in many a hotel room with no bottle opener. I've found the striker plate to the bathroom door to be a field expedient bottle opener. You have to wrap a towel around the neck of the bottle because you've got it turned sideways when the top comes off and a little will pour out, but other than that it works just dandy. [/quote]

Same here Crowhunter, except I place the edge of the cap on the top of the striker plate, then slap it with my palm. No mess, and if you can't do it without breaking the bottle its time to quit anyway.
[Linked Image]
I must be a heretic, I love to have a quality beer, bourbon, or other distilled spirit while reloading. It is a very relaxing endeavour.

As far as opening a beer bottle, where there is a will a way.
Chargemaster? Those things are gay.

Travis

This one wasn't. It also dispenses Jagermeister shots.
Well I'm not a gunwriter, but this is really a question best answered by a carpenter anyway. The best thing is to just be prepared. I have a church keys with magnets stuck to both the fridge and the top shelf of my loading bench. Have a church key in the top drawer of my garage bench, a bottle opener built into my cat's claw in my tool bag, one built into my pocket wiring tool and one on my key ring...in a pinch I've opened bottles with bic lighters, tie wire tools, hammer claws, pocket knives and truck tailgates. I have yet to find a beer that I couldn't get open(well the first dozen or so anyway grin)
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

I travel for a living and have been stuck in many a hotel room with no bottle opener. I've found the striker plate to the bathroom door to be a field expedient bottle opener. You have to wrap a towel around the neck of the bottle because you've got it turned sideways when the top comes off and a little will pour out, but other than that it works just dandy.

If you wrap your dick beater around the neck of a bottle (just below the cap) put a knife blade between the hand and cap, and pry up, it works very well.

Travis
Depends on the crowd and the country. In the Czech Republic there's a liqueur like Jagermeister, traditionally accompanied by a beer. Or at least it was among the guys I hunted with. I made the mistake of drinking the beer and passing on the liqueur. Should have done it the other way around, as I apparently have very efficient kidneys.

Never have seen anybody drink more than a very little before hunting over there, but have seen them drink quite a bit afterward!

Did you know the Czechs drink FAR more per capita than any other country?? Just recently found this out. I thought the Germans held that distinction but not so!
Originally Posted by dennisinaz

Did you know the Czechs drink FAR more per capita than any other country?? Just recently found this out. I thought the Germans held that distinction but not so!

I was in Prague in 1996 which wasn't too long after the end of communism. The exchange rate was crazy good, dinner at a very nice restaurant would run you $4. The entrepreneurial spirit was hitting quite a few Czechs and one fellow had set up a bar in an old nuclear fallout shelter beneath the city. I went down a few flights of stairs and it opened up into two big domed concrete rooms where he'd set up some huge long oak tables and had a couple of guys playing guitars & singing in the corner. Basically it was an underground beer hall. He had a few busty girls serving beer (Czech girls are gorgeous). There was a couple of very good local beers on tap and with the exchange rate being what it was it came out to 11 cents a pint.

It was good.
[Linked Image]

win/win.
or

if you have a .50

[Linked Image]
Man up. This is for your reloading room.

[Linked Image]
Stocking stuffer from last Christmas:

[Linked Image]

Hangs on the pegboard with other essential tools.
Yuppie popper.

[Linked Image]
Dennis,

The lists I've seen don't put the Czechs a the top, but they're generally in the Top 10!

The stuff to watch out for is slivovitz, their plum brandy. Though when I was over there the Czechs who we hunted with were much more interested in the bottle of Jack Daniels my hunting partner brought along.
Crow Hunter,

I was there in 1993, and prices were similar. We found some very decent red wine for about $1 a bottle, a fifth of slivovitz was around $3, and a several-course dinner $5-6. Czech pivo at 11 cents is a heck of a bargain!

Have heard Prague is pretty pricey now, due to the success of capitalism....

Czech women are beautiful, but my wife thinks most Czech men define "nerd."

Czech women are beautiful, but my wife thinks most Czech men define "nerd."

That would seem like a low competition environment for a suave globetrotting adventurer such as yourself.
I'm really not sure this one can be beat...

[Linked Image]
Eileen was with me, but I still got approached by a few women, including one at the Prague Zoo with her kids! That may have been due to the impression in some other countries that all Americans are rich, but a few people also assumed Eileen was with our friend Tom, for some reason, perhaps because they're both of Irish ancestry and look it....
The stuff to watch out for is slivovitz, their plum brandy.

John:

My old business partner is Serbian: parents right off the boat. He brought some of that stuff back from a Serbian wedding up in the Chicago area: grilled lamb, guys with no neck playing the accordion, little furry women with one eyebrow running around, etc. You get the idea. With all the accents it sounded like a Dracula convention. (And I'm glad nobody on the 'fire of Eastern European origin knows where I live!!!). Anyway, he knows that my Irish liver can filter most anything so he brought back some "Serbian Moonshine," as he called it. Holy cow! What you don't drink you can run through your carburetor. That stuff is better than Gum Out...and tastes about as good! sick

Mike
Eileen was with me, but I still got approached by a few women, including one at the Prague Zoo with her kids! That may have been due to the impression in some other countries that all Americans are rich, but a few people also assumed Eileen was with our friend Tom, for some reason, perhaps because they're both of Irish ancestry and look it....

It was the leopard print that imprssed them. smile
Responsible reloaders avoid IPA's at the bench:

[Linked Image]

Travis
Which cartridge uses the propane?
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker

If you drink enough you won't have to ask.

Travis
... a few people also assumed Eileen was with our friend Tom, for some reason, perhaps because they're both of Irish ancestry and look it....

I dont remember being there, but if you say so�..

Must be true, the Irish are such handsome people. grin
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker

If you drink enough you won't have to ask.

Travis

He drinks enough....
Safari Lager or Dos Equis amber. Guiness stout ain't too shabby either.

Terry
This list is current as of 2013.

[Linked Image]

I've never been to any of those countries- yet.
Found this link as well

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_beer_consumption_per_capita

my daughter got me a book for Father's day called "top 10 for Men" It has a bunch of useless trivia in it. I remembered seeing this page with Czech on the top of the list.

Anyone had Pilsner Urquel??

If you jump to simply the amount of alcohol consumed per capita, Czech republic falls to #7. USA falls from 14 to 23!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_alcohol_consumption

I use paint can openers, the little chromed ones. They will remove a bottle cap without even distorting the metal. Slick.
Dennis,

Your original post said "drink far more than anybody," not "drink far more beer than anybody."

I'm not surprised they drink a lot of beer, partly because a lot of their beers have relatively little alcohol, even though the flavor is fantastic. The B&B we stayed at while hunting was owned by the family who owned the local brewery, which had been there several hundred years. The room we ate in had a small refrigerator stocked with four of their beers, from very pale to a stout, and even Eileen (who's not much of a drinker) could have 3-4 without any problem.

Have had plenty of Pilsner Urquell, both over there and here, and we decided they export the best, because even the draft Pilsner Urquell over there wasn't as good as the stuff we can buy at Montana stores. But we found plenty of others that were better....

By
Any Staropramen?
May have, but that was over 20 years ago and I don't remember all of them!

Do remember Budvar, though, the Czech beer Busweiser stole it name from--and it beat the hell out of Budweasle....
Budvar is great stuff. I find it a bit lighter/crisper than Urquell. Really good with "Chinese" food.
Dennis,

Your original post said "drink far more than anybody," not "drink far more beer than anybody."

I'm not surprised they drink a lot of beer, partly because a lot of their beers have relatively little alcohol, even though the flavor is fantastic. The B&B we stayed at while hunting was owned by the family who owned the local brewery, which had been there several hundred years. The room we ate in had a small refrigerator stocked with four of their beers, from very pale to a stout, and even Eileen (who's not much of a drinker) could have 3-4 without any problem.

Have had plenty of Pilsner Urquell, both over there and here, and we decided they export the best, because even the draft Pilsner Urquell over there wasn't as good as the stuff we can buy at Montana stores. But we found plenty of others that were better....

By

This whole thread is about beer...
That poster above who calls his wife to open his beer, should I assume his wife brings an opener?

Does anyone else remember a Gene Tracy comedy routine about the trucker who visits The Toughest Woman In Texas, and how she opens beer bottles?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxQCkAqkFYo
Didn't everyone have little plastic army men growing up?
[Linked Image]
I can use almost any thing to open a beer bottle.
disposable lighters, rocks, pens, pencils, machete, coins, knives.
the list goes on.
Too damn bad I don't have much use for that skill any longer.
damn twist offs. grin
The ones I use most often at home.

[Linked Image]
They put beer in cans?

Who knew? grin

[Linked Image]
The knob on the door into another room.
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
The knob on the door into another room.

Speaking of knobs...

Travis
The lug of a spinning tire must be quick till they push the 4x4 butten. Crap in house well a mouth guard and a gals beltbuckle.
I have a vintage Budweiser opener hanging from a 10 point rack next to one of the safes.
[Linked Image]

Now I need a beer.
an old church key ona string hanging on the front of the fridge
You know how drinking American beer and having sex in a canoe are similar?

They're both f**king close to water. whistle laugh

This is true. In Hungary it was palinka, which is basically an eau de vie. They let very ripe fruit ferment and then distill it. Pear and apricot are both very good. The trick is to use fruit with high fructose content and to not add any sugar.

Ah...good times. It was the first time I ever hunted at night. No lights, not night vision or anything like that. A herd of boar come out of the forest and the guide says "shoot the dark one". WTF? It's night time, they all look dark!
© 24hourcampfire