Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
In parts of central Europe it's traditional to have something to drink BEFORE you go sit in the hunting stand. In Germany I heard this called "aiming fluid," which not only calms the nerves but dilates the pupils a little.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Schnapps?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
In parts of central Europe it's traditional to have something to drink BEFORE you go sit in the hunting stand. In Germany I heard this called "aiming fluid," which not only calms the nerves but dilates the pupils a little.

Sounds like a new micro brew is needed: Exit Pupil Lager

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Dang, we do that every weekend. It ain't the Germans who started it. We Irish have done it for generations. Sheesh!!

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Depends on the crowd and the country. In the Czech Republic there's a liqueur like Jagermeister, traditionally accompanied by a beer. Or at least it was among the guys I hunted with. I made the mistake of drinking the beer and passing on the liqueur. Should have done it the other way around, as I apparently have very efficient kidneys.

Never have seen anybody drink more than a very little before hunting over there, but have seen them drink quite a bit afterward!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
I like the wall mounted types. They're always there.

Travis

Same with a pocket knife.

Sean
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
RevMike,

Eileen and I hunted in Ireland a few years ago. An American friend went along and discovered Irish whiskey the evening before we started hunting, thanks to our hosts being very generous in the saloon. Despite about six hours of sleep, our friend was still somewhat relaxed when we went hunting the next morning. Though it apparently didn't help his shooting.

John Steinbeck
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
We have two of the old Dazey's (my wife's maiden name) that mount to the wall that have the magnet that catches the cap. One in each house. Works like a charm.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Robertson screw heads and twist off's. That's all this Canadian is sayin'.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
May not be the best,

[Linked Image]

but it is definitely the one that is used the most.

[Linked Image]

a Boker Top Lock Auto. I'd bet I've opened over 3,000 Negra Modelo bottles with this EDC since 2003.

Best,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H

The Swede's I hunt with do the same thing. A little sniff of whisky, followed by a handshake and exchange of the word "Skitjakt!"

Skitjakt translates to Shhit Hunting which is like telling an performer to "break a leg!"

Semper Fi

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by haverluk
[quote=Mule Deer]In parts of central Europe it's traditional to have something to drink BEFORE you go sit in the hunting stand. In Germany I heard this called "aiming fluid," which not only calms the nerves but dilates the pupils a little.

Hell, most of the Caswell county boys I know are way ahead of the curve. They take a cooler up in the stand with them.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
My GF brought me a bottle of pot still whiskey from the Bushmills distillery in Ireland, a special limited edition run. I stopped off at the trap/skeet club on the way home with it to shoot a couple rounds. After telling my Irish buddy there about her magnanimity and how I planned to ration it on special occasions, he poked me in the chest and said, "It's just fookin' (his pronunciation) whisky, drink the fookin' sh*t!" So we did. Not much shooting got done that day...

Beer in cans is making a huge comeback amongst the micro brew crowd. It would seem that advances in can technology (the lining thereof) have made the old distaste for canned (versus bottled) beer a moot point. I still reach for the bottled six packs though.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The canned beer revolution has even reached Montana. The local micro-brew I usually buy is Lewis & Clark Brewery's Tumbleweed IPA. I've never seen it in bottles.

John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Growing up, we kept these on our key chains. We called them "church keys" and having one was a rite of passage for teen boys.

So, my answer for what would be the best opener would be...a church key, attached to your keys.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Rare poster, saw this and I thought I'd chime in, 16d nail pounded in an up angle, catches the bottle cap perfect on the head

Leave the Field Content
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by carp
Rare poster, saw this and I thought I'd chime in, 16d nail pounded in an up angle, catches the bottle cap perfect on the head

Wow, that's easy.

I was going to say a Glock field knife! grin

Or the latch on a 20mm ammo can.

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

A Bisley hammer from a loaded revolver would suit a gun room well!

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd have an indoor bullet trap and require a bottle cap be shot before the next beer could be opened with the Bisley. When you get too drunk to shoot the bottle cap, you've had too many.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by calikooknic
Originally Posted by deflave
I like the wall mounted types. They're always there.

Travis

Same with a pocket knife.

Not if you reload naked.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (1minute, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 64 invisible), 2,099 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,489
Posts18,509,004
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.