Home
Posted By: surgeon 26 Nosler - 05/14/14
Anyone seen any brass yet? Or done anymore load development. Have some 160 grain matrix ready to go once I get some brass.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 26 Nosler - 05/15/14
Last I saw, MidwayUSA has it on order.

DF
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 26 Nosler - 05/15/14
Am supposed to have a rifle, ammo and brass to try out any day now.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: 26 Nosler - 05/15/14
Buddy of mine has 2 rifles built all ready. Nosler told him last week that he should have his new brass in a week or two.
Posted By: surgeon Re: 26 Nosler - 05/15/14
My smith has formed me some from 7rum brass so if I have I will use them for now but would be nice to have the proper headstamp. Have a nice series B set of redding dies for them.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: 26 Nosler - 05/15/14
Might be an interesting caliber for a Ruger #1...that's a hint, Ruger
Originally Posted by surgeon
My smith has formed me some from 7rum brass so if I have I will use them for now but would be nice to have the proper headstamp. Have a nice series B set of redding dies for them.

It would probably take a lot of forming to shorten a mag. length case to std. length. The shoulders would have to be set back a good bit.

How many stages?

DF
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Buddy of mine has 2 rifles built all ready. Nosler told him last week that he should have his new brass in a week or two.

What donor actions did he use and how did he handle the box mags for the fatter rounds?

DF
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: 26 Nosler - 05/15/14
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

What donor actions did he use and how did he handle the box mags for the fatter rounds?

DF

He used Remington actions for the 7mm RUM or Remington Ultra Mag.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 26 Nosler - 05/16/14
That will work.

A good friend has a shot out 7RM M-700 that he traded for, hoping to use it for a 26 Nosler. The std. mag box mag may or may not work. I guess he could get a RUM mag box and follower.

DF
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 26 Nosler - 05/16/14
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Might be an interesting caliber for a Ruger #1...that's a hint, Ruger

The extractor on a SS works best with a rimmed case. Rimless cases can be made to work with a spring loaded extractor. It seems a rebated rim makes the extractor engineering even harder.

I don't know how many rebated rim rounds are chambered in the #1. Probably not many.

The 26 Nosler has a std. mag. .534" rim and a .550" case body.

DF
Posted By: Otto_Mitchell Re: 26 Nosler - 05/16/14
[quote=tex_n_cal]Might be an interesting caliber for a Ruger #1...that's a hint, Ruger

The extractor on a SS works best with a rimmed case. Rimless cases can be made to work with a spring loaded extractor. It seems a rebated rim makes the extractor engineering even harder.

I don't know how many rebated rim rounds are chambered in the #1. Probably not many.

The 26 Nosler has a std. mag. .534" rim and a .550" case body.

Most current Ruger #1 Chambering's are rimless, I personally have not had extraction issues with any of mine, 204,.22-250,243,270
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 26 Nosler - 05/17/14
Do you know of any rebated rim rounds chambered in the #1?

DF
Posted By: War_Eagle Re: 26 Nosler - 05/18/14
Pretty sure they did a run of 6.5-284's a couple years ago.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 26 Nosler - 05/18/14
Well, if they can make that one work, they could do a 26 Nosler.

DF
Posted By: gerry35 Re: 26 Nosler - 05/18/14
Originally Posted by War_Eagle
Pretty sure they did a run of 6.5-284's a couple years ago.

Yes they did in the No 1 V.....

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...products_id/84837/Ruger+1V+6.5-284+24+BL
Posted By: rflshtr Re: 26 Nosler - 05/18/14
I once had a 6.5x284 sporter contour in a Ruger #1 with an aftermarket barrel. It shot and extracted the cases fine.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 26 Nosler - 05/18/14
I look forward to JB's report, as I'm sure a bunch of fellow Loonies are.

This round is interesting. I want to know it's real performance, strong points, weak points and if it's something I may want. To me the jury is still out on this one.

DF
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 26 Nosler - 05/18/14
I received the rifle Friday, and ammo, brass and dies are on the way.
Posted By: geedubya Re: 26 Nosler - 05/21/14
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I received the rifle Friday, and ammo, brass and dies are on the way.

I've owned two of the Nosler M48 custom sporters. I like em.

Which configuration is the test rifle you received?
GWB
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 26 Nosler - 05/21/14
It's the Nosler 48 Custom, with their top-grade synthetic stock and hinged floorplate--and on the 26 a 26" barrel.
Posted By: SU35 Re: 26 Nosler - 05/21/14
Wish they'd sent you the 24"

What publication will your article come out in?

Would like to buy it.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 26 Nosler - 05/22/14
The 26" barrel is standard in the 26 Nosler, along with a 1-8" twist. If they offered anything else a bunch of people would scream about what idiots they are.

I'm doing a review of the rifle and Nosler ammo for AMERICAN RIFLEMAN, and a handloading piece for HANDLOADER. Dunno when either will come out, but am expecting to be "persuaded" to get each done ASAP.
Posted By: geedubya Re: 26 Nosler - 05/22/14
I do luv my m48 CS in 325 WSM.

[Linked Image]

It has become my go-to, dark-thirty Hoglet thumper.

Best,

GWB

Posted By: wtroger Re: 26 Nosler - 05/26/14
Anybody been able to buy Ammo / brass yet I have a rifle built and ready to test fire / sight in
Posted By: 805 Re: 26 Nosler - 05/26/14
Midway has brass in stock.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/47...26-nosler-box-of-25?cm_vc=ProductFinding
Posted By: marktrask Re: 26 Nosler - 05/26/14
Wow, $66 for 20 rounds of brass. would really like to see noslers new toy take off, but without some major help from the big boys ( read somewhat realistically prices rifles and ammo )I can't picture that happening.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 26 Nosler - 05/26/14
25 rounds.

DF
Posted By: laker Re: 26 Nosler - 05/26/14

Ouch
I was hoping 26 Nosler brass would be cheaper than Wby. brass.

Guess not. To their credit, it seems the brass is prepped and ready to go. At should be high quality, at least that's their sales pitch.

If it's as good as they say, and saves a bunch of prep time, maybe one could justify the cost.

If I had a 26 Nosler, I beleive I could get by with two boxes, 50 cases.

DF
As to rifle cost, I believe there will be a lot more 26 Noslers built on std. mag. 700 actions, etc. than bought from Nosler.

A $600, 8 twist, .264 barrel, fitted to one shot out .300 WM/7RM rifle, plus some work on the box mag and follower, should yield a 26 Nosler.

We'll see how that plays out.

DF
Another 26 Nosler question.

I see MidwayUSA offering a RCBS #38 shell holder for the 26 Nosler and some of the short mags. One reviewer said his short mags would fit the std. #4 mag shell holder. He questioned wasting his money on the # 38.

What's the difference between the #4 and #38 shell holders? Gotta be a reason for the #38.

DF
Posted By: GuyM Re: 26 Nosler - 05/28/14
To their credit, it seems the brass is prepped and ready to go. At should be high quality, at least that's their sales pitch.

If it's as good as they say, and saves a bunch of prep time, maybe one could justify the cost.

DF

Treated my .25-06 to some Nosler brass two years ago. Very nice stuff! If you buy some Nosler brass, I suspect you'll be pleased. I did neck size mine, then loaded it and proceeded to shoot excellent groups with it. Took it hunting and filled a couple of tags too.

Re the .26 Nosler, I'm watching with interest.

Regards, Guy
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: 26 Nosler - 05/29/14
Another 26 Nosler question.

I see MidwayUSA offering a RCBS #38 shell holder for the 26 Nosler and some of the short mags. One reviewer said his short mags would fit the std. #4 mag shell holder. He questioned wasting his money on the # 38.

What's the difference between the #4 and #38 shell holders? Gotta be a reason for the #38.

DF

It should take the same shell holder as the 300 RUM case does.
Posted By: Nomosendero2 Re: 26 Nosler - 05/29/14
Guy, I bought some for my Wife's 6.5x55 & it was good quality
Posted By: HiredGun Re: 26 Nosler - 05/31/14
I finally got two boxes of brass. Reamer is in hand. Looks like it's time to "fix" my 6.5x284.
Posted By: woofer Re: 26 Nosler - 05/31/14
DF, would guess they are relieved for the fatter base of the Nos and the UM's... Clearance issues may have popped up somewhere...

W
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 26 Nosler - 06/12/14
I finally got to shoot the Nosler rifle sent for testing today. Still don't have any factory loads, but had components and Nosler's data for 129-grain ABLR's.

Have only a limited supply of those bullets, but have a bunch of Norma 130-grain Diamond target bullets, so used them for sighting-in and some early results for zip and accuracy. Loaded those with Ramshot Magnum, which Nosler indicates is the most accurate powder among those they tried, and the second-fastest.
The maximum listed load of 82.0 grains resulted in a .78", 4-shot group at 100 yards, with an average instrumental velocity of 3410 fps.

Next will test the other powders listed with the same bullet: Alliant RL-33 and Hodgdon Retumbo, 50BMG and US869. Then will load some ABLR's with the best couple of powders and see what can be done.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: 26 Nosler - 06/12/14
There's a box of the brass at one local funstore. Have not seen a rifle yet. I should buy it for investment purposes smile Or if Ruger makes a #1 in it... smile
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 26 Nosler - 06/12/14
I suspect Nosler's rifles will be appearing pretty regularly now, along with brass and ammo.

Forgot to mention the cases fit perfectly in two different shellholders for standard belted brass.
Posted By: bea175 Re: 26 Nosler - 06/12/14
Is the 26 Nosler round that much better than the 264 Win Mag or the 6.5 STW?
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 26 Nosler - 06/12/14
Originally Posted by bea175
Is the 26 Nosler round that much better than the 264 Win Mag or the 6.5 STW?

Now, I guess that depends on who you ask... shocked

DF
Posted By: 805 Re: 26 Nosler - 06/12/14
Bea it has some nice features like no belt, fits in a standard LA 3.450 and good quality brass is available.

Maybe i will barrel my LH Montana from 264 WM to the 26 Nosler. I already have the barrel blank, Hart SS Number 3, 1&8 twist, 28 inch's long, all i need is the reamer , brass, and dies.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 26 Nosler - 06/12/14
Smiths I've used don't have the reamer.

Who has the 26 Nosler reamer?

DF
Midway has the Solid Pilot but out of stock on the floating Pilot

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/91...sh-reamer-26-nosler?cm_vc=ProductFinding
Posted By: ndhunterman Re: 26 Nosler - 06/12/14
If I was going to rebarrel a Kimber Montana , which model would be best?
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 26 Nosler - 06/13/14
It would have to be std. length magnum action.

The fatter 26 Nosler round may or may not work well with a std. mag. setup. I don't know how one would alter a Kimber box mag. With the M-70, windows are cut in the box to allow the fatter rounds more room under the rails.

DF
Posted By: ndhunterman Re: 26 Nosler - 06/13/14
So an 8400 magnum (300,7mm or 338) correct?
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: 26 Nosler - 06/13/14
Originally Posted by ndhunterman
So an 8400 magnum (300,7mm or 338) correct?

No, it's based on the Remington Ultra Mag Case. I doubt there will be enough room in your standard Magnum mag box. Ultra Mag Case is much fatter or wider.
[quote=ndhunterman]So an 8400 magnum (300,7mm or 338) correct?

Right action length, just not set up for a wide body, fat case, like the WSM (short action) or a RUM (mag length action).

You'll need a wide body set up in a std. length, magnum bolt face action.

DF

[Linked Image]

Here is a photo of a M-70 .300 RUM turned into a .404J. If you study the box mag photo carefully, you'll see "window cuts" in the sheet metal box mag. That's one way to functionally widen the mag box, giving fat rounds more room under the action rails. The follower may need to be altered, although it's reported that wide cases may work with a std mag follower.

This action, of course, is mag length. I'm thinking this same box mag treatment could alter a std length magnum action to work with the 26 Nosler case.

I'm not sure about the Kimber.

DF
Posted By: 19Scott63 Re: 26 Nosler - 06/15/14
I'm using a M70 Classic currently chambered in 300RUM. I didn't want to mess with the bolt or feed ramps plus I'll have the mag length to let'm hang out all the way. I'm leaning real hard towards making it a 28 Nosler!
SCP
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: 26 Nosler - 06/15/14
28 Nosler, that would work.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 26 Nosler - 06/15/14
The 26 Nosler is a std. length round, not a full mag length round.

My Ed Brown Damara is a .300 Win Mag (a std. length round), but Ed puts his .300 WM's in a full length mag action. I really like that feature, as I can seat heavier bullets without bullet intrusion into the case body. And the gun is chambered such that I can use most of the longer mag.

Now, with the 26 Nosler, do you think that same principle will apply? If so, any RUM donor action will be Kosher to build a 26 Nosler. My .300 WM Damara feeds perfectly. I hope the 26 Nosler will feed in a full length mag action.

I need to study case specs and compare with .300WM. I think there will be more 7RM, .300WM, std. length mag actions available as 26 Nosler donors than RUM actions. So, there needs to be a way to make those actions work.

DF
Posted By: Ocean_Raider Re: 26 Nosler - 06/16/14
I have a L691 mag action that needs building up at some stage and I just read a write up on the 26 Nosler and it ticks most boxes for me, the only problem is Red Deer and Sambar Deer need a calibre larger than .270 to legal hunt in my home state. Is the 7mm LRM just a necked up version of the 26 Nosler ??? It sounds like the 26 Nosler is a necked down version of a 7mm Dakota that I am most interested in but there is no brass or components in Aus to build one.

I hope Nosler are smart enough to release a 7mm version of this cartridge.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 26 Nosler - 06/16/14
There's been Fire discussion about a 28 Nosler (7mm version).

I haven't compared a potential 28 Nosler case capacity with other big 7's. That would be an interesting project.

Hint, hint...

DF
Overcome with curiosity, I did some online research. Values for individual rounds vary somewhat but this list gives a general ranking.

..................(gr. H2O)
7.21 Lazaroni.......117
7 RUM...............114.8
7 LRM...............100
7 STW...............98.3
26 Nosler...........93...(may be slightly more opened to 7mm)
7 Washburn Super..90
7 Wby...............87.5
7 Jarrett...........85.5
7 Dakota............85
7 RM................83.2
7 WSM...............83

So, you see where a 28 Nosler would rank among big 7's. It may go 94 or 95 gr. H2O, opened to 7mm. It's so close to some very established rounds, I wonder if there's a real market niche for another big 7. With us loonies, who knows...

It would have to make dollars and sense for Nosler to roll it out...

They may have found a niche with the 26 Nosler, time will tell, but I would be surprised to see a 28 Nosler in an already crowded field.

IMHO,

DF

Edited to add a couple more.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: 26 Nosler - 06/16/14
DF: Nice work on that list. Those capacities of empty hulls to top of neck?
I would assume, but those are just numbers I picked off the internet.

You see slightly larger numbers when cases are opened from 6.5mm to 7mm. Filled to the brim would be the only way those values would vary like that.

I added the Jarrett and Washburn data later, not wanting to offend anyone... blush

DF
Posted By: BobinNH Re: 26 Nosler - 06/16/14
Oh hell.... no one would be offended. wink

I already knew the Mashburn capacity anyway. Interesting where it sits in comparison to the others.
Given these data and my editorial about a potential 28 Nosler, what's your take?

DF
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 26 Nosler - 06/16/14
DF,

After firing a few 26 Nosler cases in the Nosler rifle, I measured the H20 capacity with a 129-grain Hornady Spire Point seated to the front of the cannelure, and it went exactly 90 grains. (This is a more accurate way to measure useful powder room than just filling a case to overflowing.) In comparison, a fired Winchester-brand .264 Winchester Magnum case held 80.6 grains with the same bullet, seated the same way. According to the 4-to-1 Rule, this works out to a 4.8% velocity advantage for the 26.

Also tried some rounds in three different rifles chambered for .30-06 legth belted magnums, and while not every round fed perfectly I doubt it would be hard to tweak either a CRF of push-feed action so it would work well.
John,

Do you think the 26 Nosler would benefit from a mag length action or is the std. length action enough, even with long bullets?

I gave the example of my Damara .300 WM and how much I liked the full mag box for that round, even though it's a std. length magnum round.

DF
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 26 Nosler - 06/16/14
No doubt some shooters are going to want to make 26 Noslers on 3.6" magazines. There's no need to with any of the Nosler bullets, but the 130-grain Norma Diamond match bullets I used to sight-in and do initial load-testing with are a little too long for the magazine when seated just shy of the lands.
I'm thinking with a RUM action little tweaking will be needed for the fat 26 round to cycle thru that action.

The downside, there are a lot more std. length mag. actions floating around for donors than RUM actions.

Does the Nosler rifle have a wider than standard box mag, or do they cut windows in the box like Winchester does for their RUM's?

DF
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 26 Nosler - 06/17/14
The three actions I tested were a Ruger Hawkeye .264 Winchester Magnum, a NULA Model 28 chambered for the .257 Weatherby, and a standard (.30-06) size Remington 700.

The one that would take some adjusting was the Ruger, but usually CRF actions are the most finicky about feeding a particular cartridge. But I've adjusted the feeding on a number of CRF actions, including several Rugers, and feel I could get this one to feed the 26 pretty easily. It just isn't that far off.

It fed easily from the NULA and the Remington, though I could only get two rounds in the magazine of each rifle.

I am sure the Nosler rifle has a wider magazine box, but it isn't slotted, probably because unlike Winchester (and Remington) they made the box wide enough for the round, rather than modifying their standard magnum box. Nosler has been chambering fat, beltless rounds since they started offering rifles, and all I've tried have fed perfectly.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: 26 Nosler - 06/17/14
Given these data and my editorial about a potential 28 Nosler, what's your take?

DF

Not knowing anything about the 26 Nosler other than what you guys are posting, I am guessing that if you neck it to 7mm,it's going to be very much like a 7mm LRM.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 26 Nosler - 06/17/14
Whoops, I missed that one.

I think the 7 LRM is around 100 gr. H20.

I'll edit and put it in the list.

DF
Posted By: Swamplord Re: 26 Nosler - 06/17/14

Cartridge OAL is 3.650" for all.....

"shortstroke" the long 7mm, 300, 338, 375 RUM reamers to 26 Nosler case length (make dummy cartridge for headspace gauge)
cut the bottom off the RUM dies to length needed, = an inexpensive route for 26 Nosler based wildcats.....

It's an Idea , the question is ....will it work ?

left to right .....

26 Nosler 160 gr Matrix VLD Bonded
28 Nosler 180 gr Berger VLD Hunting
30 Nosler 230 gr Whiskey 3 Precision TAC-PM RBT
33 Nosler 300 gr Berger Hybrid OTM Tactical
37 Nosler 320 gr Cutting Edge MTH L04

[img:center]http://[Linked Image][/img]
Posted By: Ocean_Raider Re: 26 Nosler - 06/17/14
So it can/has been done, I'm interested in this can you provide any more info on the 28 Nosler Swamplord ???
Originally Posted by Swamplord

Cartridge OAL is 3.650" for all.....

"shortstroke" the long 7mm, 300, 338, 375 RUM reamers to 26 Nosler case length (make dummy cartridge for headspace gauge)
cut the bottom off the RUM dies to length needed, = an inexpensive route for 26 Nosler based wildcats.....

It's an Idea , the question is ....will it work ?

left to right .....

26 Nosler 160 gr Matrix VLD Bonded
28 Nosler 180 gr Berger VLD Hunting
30 Nosler 230 gr Whiskey 3 Precision TAC-PM RBT
33 Nosler 300 gr Berger Hybrid OTM Tactical
37 Nosler 320 gr Cutting Edge MTH L04

[img:center]http://[Linked Image][/img]

You been busy...

Thanks for that line up of interesting rounds.

DF
The three actions I tested were a Ruger Hawkeye .264 Winchester Magnum, a NULA Model 28 chambered for the .257 Weatherby, and a standard (.30-06) size Remington 700.

The one that would take some adjusting was the Ruger, but usually CRF actions are the most finicky about feeding a particular cartridge. But I've adjusted the feeding on a number of CRF actions, including several Rugers, and feel I could get this one to feed the 26 pretty easily. It just isn't that far off.

It fed easily from the NULA and the Remington, though I could only get two rounds in the magazine of each rifle.

I am sure the Nosler rifle has a wider magazine box, but it isn't slotted, probably because unlike Winchester (and Remington) they made the box wide enough for the round, rather than modifying their standard magnum box. Nosler has been chambering fat, beltless rounds since they started offering rifles, and all I've tried have fed perfectly.

I'm still trying to visualize how one seats a bullet in a case full of water. Does the excess water seep out around the bullet? Sounds messy...

If some water capacity measurements are done like this and others to the brim, it sorta taints the comparative validity between rounds. It has been mentioned that Nosler has different case capacities, based onbullet types, so that must be the way they're measuring case capacity.

That method makes sense, as case capacity can only be subject to room left after the bullet is seated.

Thanks,

DF
Posted By: adam32 Re: 26 Nosler - 06/17/14
What velocities are you guys getting with the 160 Matrix?
DF,

It's extremely easy, and only slightly messy:

1) Use fired cases, since they better represent actual powder room.

2) A bullet can easily be slipped into the neck of fired brass. Or at least it should. If not, there's insufficient neck clearance for some reason, usually a too-long case.

3) Fill the case with water to the brim, then set it on some flat surface and carefully insert the bullet. The excess water will flow out of the neck around the bullet.

4) I usually use a cannelured bullet, since it's easy to seat them to the same depth when comparing the capacity of two or more cases. But you can also use a Magic Marker to make a witness mark.

5) Remove the bullet. Often a drop or two will stick to it, so I scrape them off on the edge of the case mouth, then wipe down the outside of the case.

This shows the actual amount of space available for powder with that bullet seated. Filling to the brim gives a few grains advantage to long-necked cases, where the neck is filled by the bullet.
Thanks, John.

I was visualizing sized cases, but can see how a fired case wouldn't be that big a problem.

Is there any way to know which case capacity measurements are done that way, or to the brim? Not knowing (which would be my guess) sorta taints meaningful comparisons between rounds.

DF
Posted By: Reloader7RM Re: 26 Nosler - 06/17/14
DF,

If you are cool with only 2 down, a Wyatt's CF box would be an idea for a std mag LA 700. That gives you 3.710in. He also sells a long box CF mag where you can alter the action and bolt stop to get over 3.8. Some folks bitch about CF boxes, but it was night and day difference in feeding for my 700 SMs.
To me, I like the factory box if it can be made to work. It's a cleaner, sleeker product for a hunter, IMO.

If all else fails, a Wyatt could become a necessary option. My HS .240 has a box and feeds super slick. They just don't hold many rounds.

DF
DF,

Other than long experience with measuring the H20 capacity of various cases probably not. But I've been doing it long enough to get a feel for which method was used. For instance, most .30-06 length belted magnums will have a capacity around80 grains, and "full length" belted magnums around 90 grains.

Once in a while there are surprises. .338 Lapua cases, for instance, are so heavy they don't have nearly as much room as you might guess, in fact not all that much more than the .340 Weatherby.
So, my little chart of relative big 7 case capacities is just that, relative and not a real accurate comparison. These data were picked up on line, so who knows the methods or precision used with each measurement.

I guess it gives only a ball park idea of how those rounds line up.

DF

7.21 Lazaroni.......117
7 LRM...............100
7 STW...............98.3
26 Nosler...........93...(may be slightly more opened to 7mm)
7 Washburn Super..90
7 Wby...............87.5
7 Jarrett...........85.5
7 Dakota............85
7 RM................83.2
7 WSM...............83
On that list it appears the 26 Nosler measurement included the neck, since I got 90 with a 129-grain bullet seated, as does the 7mm Weatherby.
I took 3 gr. off the 26 Nosler and the 7 Wby. Done like that, it shouldn't be very much increase, opening the 26 Nosler to 28 Nosler.

Still not sure how the others were done.

Maybe this is a bit more accurate.

7.21 Lazaroni.......117
7 LRM...............100
7 STW...............98.3
26 Nosler...........90...(may be slightly more opened to 7mm)
7 Washburn Super..90
7 Jarrett...........85.5
7 Dakota............85
7 Wby...............84.5
7 RM................83.2
7 WSM...............83
Just came to the realization that the 28 Nosler may be an easier way to get to Washburn performnace.

DF
Originally Posted by BobinNH

DF

Not knowing anything about the 26 Nosler other than what you guys are posting, I am guessing that if you neck it to 7mm,it's going to be very much like a 7mm LRM.

What would you think if it turned out to be a near performance clone of the Washburn?

DF
Posted By: BobinNH Re: 26 Nosler - 06/18/14
I would think it would be in some pretty good company... smile

But I don't think they will make one... frown

There are lots of magnum 7mm's out there; not so many magnum capacity 6.5's, which is the niche I think Nosler is trying to fill.

There are lots of magnum 7mm's out there; not so many magnum capacity 6.5's, which is the niche I think Nosler is trying to fill.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 26 Nosler - 06/18/14

A factory 28 Nosler, IMO, isn't going to happen for the reasons you point out.

BUT, for us Loonies, won't necking up the 26 Nosler to .284 be a real easy way to get a Mashburn wannabe...?

Brass prep would sure be a lot easier. Neck up and go shooting. Can't get much easier than that. That's about the same as forming .22-204 cases. Transforming brass from .204 to .22 204 is so easy it's probably not fair to the .223AI fireformers... shocked

Just had to say that... cool

DF
Posted By: Ocean_Raider Re: 26 Nosler - 06/18/14
Well by releasing the 26 Nosler into Australia they have cornered themselves into a niche market of target shooters, a 28 Nosler makes far more sense for our market due to minimum caliber restrictions in some states for hunting.

BUT, for us Loonies, won't necking up the 26 Nosler to .284 be a real easy way to get a Mashburn wannabe...?

DF

Sure....seems like it. An even easier way,today, is get a 7mm LRM and use their factory brass. smile

Ocean Raider:You mean you can't hunt with a 6.5 some places over there? shocked
26 Nosler brass is pretty pricey, but reportedly is of excellent quality, a lot of prep work already done.

If LRM brass is in the same ball park regarding cost, that may be an option. It's 100 gr. H20 vs. 90 gr. H20, a bigger case burning more powder.

DF
http://www.nosler.com/26-nosler

Nolser load data for 26 Nosler.

Seems Ramshot Magnum is the most accurate powder tested, best load was 80 gr. at 3,305 fps.

DF
Posted By: Ocean_Raider Re: 26 Nosler - 06/18/14

DF

Sure....seems like it. An even easier way,today, is get a 7mm LRM and use their factory brass. smile

Ocean Raider:You mean you can't hunt with a 6.5 some places over there? shocked

Yep that is the case if you want to hunt Sambar and Red Deers in my home state of Victoria, minimum calibre is .270 and there is a case length restriction as well I think so cases like the 7.62x39 is not usable

The 6.5 is a awesome cal but I can only use it for Fellow and Hog Deer, a few years ago you could hunt reds with a minimum calibre of 6mm but for some reason that got up graded to be inline with the Sambar restriction, it's all BULL$HIT but that's what you get when you live in a oppressive society I guess.

In exchange for DUMB calibre restrictions we have some of the most liberal hunting laws in the country, Victorians have open access to all State Forrest to hunt game and pest species, seasonal opening to game reserves for ducks, open access to Nation Parks in some areas to hunt Sambar Deer. The other states are limited to private property and to hunt public land need to go into a booking system and other such nonsense, so I guess it's good and bad
Posted By: 19Scott63 Re: 26 Nosler - 06/19/14
[Linked Image]
Here is a visual comparison of some of the "Big 7s" with the 26Nosler. This information was garnered from Ammoguide.com. They are arranged by H20 capacity posted by Ammoguide.
7mm Rum - 106.6gr.
26Nosler - 96.4 with a 6.5 neck. A 7mm neck would add a few gr.
7mm STW - 92.7gr.
7mm Dakota- 90.7gr.
7mm Mash - 84.9gr.
7LRM - 84.8gr.
The 7Dakota should be after the STW - my mistake

It looks to me like the Nosler case is the largest that will fit in a 3.6" action with available, quality brass. I'm planning on using a RUM action and throat the barrel long for the 7mm heavy bullets. I'm thinking that the "useable" case capacity will be close to the RUM's. Something like a larger 7LRM. I'm also thinking of a 338x26Nosler on M70 3.6 CRF action.
All information was off the "Internet" so take it for what that's worth although I've found Ammoguide to be pretty reliable.
SCP
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 26 Nosler - 06/21/14
Good data, thanks.

Hot off the press, Nosler's 140 gr. data for the 26 Nosler. Looks like it doesn't give up 3,300 very easily and the accuracy speeds are in the 3,150 to 3,200 range. My 6.5-284 will push 140's to a solid 3K (1/2 MOA) with a little over half as much powder (48.8 RL-17).

http://static.squarespace.com/stati...01786c91e9f9b/1403289208653/?format=750w

DF
Originally Posted by 19Scott63
[Linked Image]
Here is a visual comparison of some of the "Big 7s" with the 26Nosler. This information was garnered from Ammoguide.com. They are arranged by H20 capacity posted by Ammoguide.
7mm Rum - 106.6gr.
7mm STW - 92.7gr.
7mm Dakota- 90.7gr.
7mm Mash - 84.9gr.
7LRM - 84.8gr.

It looks to me like the Nosler case is the largest that will fit in a 3.6" action with available, quality brass. I'm planning on using a RUM action and throat the barrel long for the 7mm heavy bullets. I'm thinking that the "useable" case capacity will be close to the RUM's. Something like a larger 7LRM. I'm also thinking of a 338x26Nosler on M70 3.6 CRF action.
All information was off the "Internet" so take it for what that's worth although I've found Ammoguide to be pretty reliable.
SCP

26 is the largest that will fit a 3.4" action, the RUM and STW work in a full mag 3.6" action. But, if I built a 26 or 28 Nolser, I'd use a RUM action to allow full freedom with the longer bullets.

I've found it frustrating, trying to get gr. of water case capacities for the big 7's. Some are with bullet in place, some are to the brim. The difference can become confusing. For example, I got 93 gr. H2O on line for the 26 Nosler, JB measured 90 by inserting a bullet in the case. I see your number of 96.4. Nosler posts 93, so even though they're all in the ball park, who knows how the others were measured.

DF
Posted By: 19Scott63 Re: 26 Nosler - 06/21/14
[Linked Image]
7mm Rum - 106.6gr.
7mm STW - 92.7gr.
7mm Dakota- 90.7gr.
7mm Mash - 84.9gr.
7LRM - 84.8gr.

SCP

26 is the largest that will fit a 3.4" action, the RUM and STW work in a full mag 3.6" action. But, if I built a 26 or 28 Nolser, I'd use a RUM action to allow full freedom with the longer bullets.

I've found it frustrating, trying to get gr. of water case capacities for the big 7's. Some are with bullet in place, some are to the brim. The difference can become confusing. For example, I got 93 gr. H2O on line for the 26 Nosler, JB measured 90 by inserting a bullet in the case. I see your number of 96.4. Nosler posts 93, so even though they're all in the ball park, who knows how the others were measured.

DF

Thanks for the corrections DF - Thats what I meant to say.
What's your take on the seemingly loose protocols (if indeed there are any) of measuring case capacity using grains of water? Sorta makes the data suspect.

DF
Posted By: 19Scott63 Re: 26 Nosler - 06/22/14
DF,
I take every thing with a grain of salt! Especially if the info comes from a party that has something to gain from it. Add to that the lack of consistant methodology in measurement and most numbers are suspect. I chose the same source hoping the methodology would be consistant. When I measure volume I like to use a fired case and fill it full of deoxygenated water to a level forming a convex meniscus. That's the prefered method for Quickload data. I have some 26Nosler brass but alas no rifle to fire it in.
SCP
Posted By: Canazes9 Re: 26 Nosler - 06/22/14
DF,
I take every thing with a grain of salt! Especially if the info comes from a party that has something to gain from it. Add to that the lack of consistant methodology in measurement and most numbers are suspect. I chose the same source hoping the methodology would be consistant. When I measure volume I like to use a fired case and fill it full of deoxygenated water to a level forming a convex meniscus. That's the prefered method for Quickload data. I have some 26Nosler brass but alas no rifle to fire it in.
SCP

I am not familiar with the Quickload method you reference, but perhaps this is a typo and should have been deionized water?

David
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 26 Nosler - 06/22/14
To me, it seems that JB's method of measuring case capacity, using water and placing a bullet in a fired case, makes a lot more sense than to the brim.

If, for example, one took the 26 Nosler case and necked it up to various larger calibers, the to the brim measurements would vary a lot more than the actual powder capacity would vary.

Now, if all case capacity measurement methods were on the same page....

DF
Originally Posted by Canazes9
DF,
SCP

I am not familiar with the Quickload method you reference, but perhaps this is a typo and should have been deionized water?

David
Deionized water, distilled water, tap water, rain water, road ditch water... shocked

I don't see how the type water would be nearly as critical to case capacity data than how the measurements are done... blush

DF
Posted By: Canazes9 Re: 26 Nosler - 06/22/14
Originally Posted by Canazes9
DF,
SCP

David
Deionized water, distilled water, tap water, rain water, road ditch water... shocked

I don't see how the type water would be nearly as critical to case capacity data than how the measurements are done... blush

DF

The type of water isn't nearly as critical, just asking a question about the stated method.

High purity water (deionized water) has a known, repeatable weight. Commonly available water sources are pure enough that there should be little measurable differences, but if you don't specifically state purity, then conceivably any water source could be used. Water with high total dissolved solids has a different density than DI water, thus skewing the measurement.

Deoxygenated water is typically high purity water that has had the O2 stripped and chemically removed. It is typically used for producing steam in boilers. Deoxygenated water will cease to be deoxygenated when exposed to air.

I didn't think the method was actually calling for deoxygenated water, but perhaps there is a reason for it that eludes me - hence the question.

David
I did take some poetic license with the "ditch water" comment... blush

My point was the skew of data all over the page, largely from a perceived lack of consistency or protocol in performing those measurements. At least it seems that way to me.

And to quote Hillary, "What difference does it make", concerning the kind of water used, given the confusion over methodology... smile

DF

Posted By: 19Scott63 Re: 26 Nosler - 06/23/14
David,
The correct word should have been non-aerated water. Water exiting my tap has a lot of air in it. I let it sit for a few hours to let the bubbles remove themselves.
SCP
DF,
Any method as long as it is consistent would give you a great way to compare a cartridge to another....if you were the one doing all the measurements. I have had up to 3gr difference in capacity of the same size case by different manufacturers.
I like the case load capacities listed in Nosler's manual and Quickload software. I'll take a measurement of an unfired 26Nosler case just for grins.
SCP
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 26 Nosler - 06/23/14
I do my capacity measurements with deoxygenated water, since it's been sitting in a water bottle in my loading room for quite a while. But I doubt it makes as much difference as temperature, though most of us probably do it with water from 60-80 F.

The reason I do mine with a bullet seated, instead of full to the brim, is that's the "functional" case capacity. As an example, the most common .300 magnums have necks varying from .21 to .37 inch long, which alone will vary capacity approximately 3 grains.

But ALL those necks are filled with the shank of any bullet from 150 grains up. What matters more (though not as much as people think) is how much space the rear of the bullet takes up below the neck--given the maximum SAAMI length, though obviously a longer than standard magazine and throat length change things.

But all of that is MUCH more accurate than filling the case to the mouth, regardless of what kind of water is used. And it's yet another reason QuickLoad is only a very approximation of reality, no matter how many handloaders believe it's the word of some ballistic god.
Posted By: Canazes9 Re: 26 Nosler - 06/23/14
I do my capacity measurements with deoxygenated water, since it's been sitting in a water bottle in my loading room for quite a while. But I doubt it makes as much difference as temperature, though most of us probably do it with water from 60-80 F.

The reason I do mine with a bullet seated, instead of full to the brim, is that's the "functional" case capacity. As an example, the most common .300 magnums have necks varying from .21 to .37 inch long, which alone will vary capacity approximately 3 grains.

But ALL those necks are filled with the shank of any bullet from 150 grains up. What matters more (though not as much as people think) is how much space the rear of the bullet takes up below the neck--given the maximum SAAMI length, though obviously a longer than standard magazine and throat length change things.

But all of that is MUCH more accurate than filling the case to the mouth, regardless of what kind of water is used. And it's yet another reason QuickLoad is only a very approximation of reality, no matter how many handloaders believe it's the word of some ballistic god.

http://youtu.be/G2y8Sx4B2Sk

David
John,
Your method is ultimately the most applicable to real world reloading. It would be adjustable to OAL/seating depth and bullet size. What if any data do you compare it to? Or, do you just use it to compare your own data like I do?
SCP
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 26 Nosler - 06/23/14
Mostly I've compared it to pressure-tested data from ballistic labs who use the same barrel for their pressure tests AND velocity data. There are still a few places that work up loads in a pressure barrel, then shoot them in a factory barrel for velocity, supposedly to provide "real world" results. Trouble is, factory barrels vary considerably.
John,
I hear you on the difference of barrels. I have two 6mmx284s. One is 150fps faster than the other with the same load.
SCP
Posted By: bea175 Re: 26 Nosler - 09/09/14
I'm not sure i will build a 26 Nosler until more brands of brass becomes available
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 26 Nosler - 09/17/14
I received my first 26 Nosler brass today. This batch is blem with minor cosmetic stuff, otherwise looks good. The case head will fit a mag. M-700 bolt face, but not a #4 RCBS shell holder. It uses a #38 RCBS shell holder.

The fat case won't pass between the rails on a 7RM Sendaro action. They'll pass thru the rails on a mag. M-70, will stick under the right rail and pop out from under the left rail.

So, the 700 rails will need to be opened to accommodate this case. If rounds pop out from under the rails, the box mag will need windows, like a RUM box mag. It will be up to the smith to make these fat, sharp shouldered rounds feed.

My hunting bud and I are going to send a pair of shot out 7RM BDL's for 26" #3 Shilen SS Match barrels and blueprinted actions. These guns have full 3.6" mag. boxes, not 3.4" boxes found on most std. length magnum rifles.

A 140 VLD with full case neck/bullet shank contact, only the boattail prodruding into the case body, results in a 3.5" COAL. SAAMI COAL for this round is 3.34". I'm hoping to have these guns chambered for 3.5" COAL with 140 VLD's. I like the way the longer round looks and there's less powder capacity robbing, bullet protrusion into the case body.

Plan to ship guns next week.

DF
Heard from the smith. He can cut throat to spec., just needs a bullet and dummy round, which I can easily supply.

My question: Do I throat for VLD's, bullet seated optimally for full neck contact without excessive protrusion into case body, or do I throat for NAB's, the LRAB a bit different than std. NAB?

If I only knew in advance which one was going to shoot the best...

DF
Posted By: GregW Re: 26 Nosler - 09/17/14
Meet in the middle -
Well, IME, VLD's like to jump. I've always done better with them jumping than kissing or jammed. So, maybe throating for std. NAB's kissing will have the VLD's and LRAB jumping a bit.

I just want to optimize the round, utilizing the full length mag box.

DF

Posted By: GregW Re: 26 Nosler - 09/17/14
I hear you. Meet in middle or pick a bullet -
I guess if I had to pick one, I'd go with the 129 gr. LRAB, the bullet Nosler built this gun around. But, it may not be the last bullet standing when the smoke clears.

I'd love to have a couple of those bullets if anyone cares to donate to a good cause, as they're not available at this time, all on B.O.

DF
Posted By: rcamuglia Re: 26 Nosler - 09/17/14
I would think about throating it shorter for the VLD.

As the throat wears, which may happen :), you'll have room to move the bullet out and even switch to a bullet with a more pronounced ogive.

Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 26 Nosler - 09/17/14
That was my thought as well.

Actually, probably the ideal basis for a custom-barreled 26 Nosler rifle would be a Ruger No. 1, because they don't have any magazine-length problems to deal with. But they also aren't aren't "tactical" enough for a lot of hunters these days....
Thanks, Rick and John.

That's what I'm gonna do, chamber for the VLD.

A few hundred rounds will most likely move the throat enough to accommodate most bullets... smile

I look forward to reports on throat wear from John's 26 Nosler.

DF
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
I would think about throating it shorter for the VLD.

As the throat wears, which may happen :), you'll have room to move the bullet out and even switch to a bullet with a more pronounced ogive.

Rick,

How fast do those high performance .264 throats "grow" over time?

DF
Posted By: rcamuglia Re: 26 Nosler - 09/17/14
Wish I could really give you a good quantitative answer, but I don't count fired rounds. Just started to do it though.

With my .264 I'm sure there has been 400 to 500 rounds through it. Last time it was scoped we noticed the LACK of wear. Don't know what to attribute that to. I have always used really slow powders and the comment was made that this may be the reason.

I've read that cut rifled barrels may last longer than button rifled barrels. Not sure about that. I have Brux and Krieger but due to availability, am going with a Shilen Match this time. The smith likes their service, which to me is a big plus.

We'll see how this plays out.

DF
Posted By: rcamuglia Re: 26 Nosler - 09/18/14
Go Bartlein if you can. They've been excellent.
Posted By: 805 Re: 26 Nosler - 09/18/14
http://bugholes.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=88_89_93&page=2
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 26 Nosler - 09/18/14
The wait on Krieger, Brux and probably Bartlein is longer than Shilen. The Bartlein is $340, the Shilen SS Match is $285. My bud and I are doing a pair of 26's and he likes Shilen. So, I guess I'll hang in there with him.

Lots of thanks for all the help.

DF
© 24hourcampfire