Home
Posted By: Jayph Need a Lighter coyote rifle - 01/15/11
After lugging my 12lb .220 AI all day in deep to really deep snow and through hills I need to see some pics and specs of walking varminters. smile I love the .220 AI but it needs a lighter friend in the safe for walking days like this. Iam wiped sleep

Iam just looking for ideas as I have some rifles to finish up before I start more but I would sure like to see what you guys have built.

What would you guys consider as the largest contour to finish at 25" and still maintain a walkabout rifle.

So if you don't mind I would love to see pics and specs of your walking varmint rifles. I don't own one but will be uploading a pic of the 12lb hog and one of todays unlucky coyotes in a bit here. (I figure if Iam asking for pics I should post one)

Can't imagine why you'd need to run 25" of barrel.

Top is a 243 with a 22" tube and bottom is a 6mm/223 with 20" tube. Regardless you can do a like build an come in at the same weight, more or less. The 6mm223 with 3-9x is 6 3/4 pounds.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
On a mini mauser, 22-250 w/scope, all up at 5 3/4 lbs.
I agree, why 25 in?
Posted By: Kaleb Re: Need a Lighter coyote rifle - 01/15/11
22-250AI with 23" #3 Douglas. Vanguard action has some weight so it's not super light but well balanced. Prolly a 8 pound rig but I don't have scales so cant know for sure. Very handy huntable rifle for these parts.

[Linked Image]
model 7, .223 factory barrel...because it shoots too well to replace, action worked over by Mickey, tan cerracote, tan and black stock, stock painting and cerracote by Mickey.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Jayph Re: Need a Lighter coyote rifle - 01/15/11
thanks so far guys. I was thinking 25" because I was planning a .22-250 AI and most of what I had read was if your going to go shorter than 25" you might aswell just go regular .22-250. Havent put too much thought into it yet.

Heres a photo of today.

[Linked Image]
A 22" 22/250AI beats a 22" 22/250, not to mention the trim factor.

I've never been in a situation where I thought 'Damn, I would have made that shot if I had an extra 2" of barrel'.....

Avoid what the Field & Stream readers post.
Best feelin rifle I've put together is this 250AI. #1 Rock cut at 22" 1" shank droped in a MR stock. Don't have weight on this either but it handles like a dream. Will be copying this blueprint in 243AI.

[Linked Image]
A 'yote with a 21" tubed rifle that weighs 6 pounds 10 ounces. It was July and I was hunting with swim trunks on.......

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Jayph Re: Need a Lighter coyote rifle - 01/15/11
Originally Posted by Steelhead
A 22" 22/250AI beats a 22" 22/250, not to mention the trim factor.

I've never been in a situation where I thought 'Damn, I would have made that shot if I had an extra 2" of barrel'.....

Avoid what the Field & Stream readers post.

The trim factor is why my .220 is a AI. I shoot alot and I hate trimming. I agree on the barrel length but it's hard for me to wrap my head around a varmint rifle that isn't heavy and long.
22" 22-250AI wouldn't spook me much. Mine just wouldn't balance with the long shank barrel.....I don't think. Some smiths tell you that a 1 1/2" is needed but that aint so. Done two that way and last three have gone under a inch.
Posted By: Tom264 Re: Need a Lighter coyote rifle - 01/15/11
My coyote rig.

.243 AI with a factory bbl cut to 23"

Right now its got a Leupold 3.5x10 and DD's (the scope will soon have turrets installed)

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I need to weigh it..
We are talking coyote rifles. If I was running something strictly for plunking gophers all day, something with a little weight wouldn't be a bad thing.

Can't imagine running a hog for a yotes. Build to balance and it all flows together.

Didn't have much problems with this wolf and a 20" tube rifle that weighs 7 pounds. Course it was from a kneeling position at 150 yards...

[Linked Image]
Cool paint job. I could try that but it wouldn't turn out like that. Well done.
I've been a bit assertive about controlling the yote population from time to time. Way back when I built a 6/06 for most of my work and have never regretted it. Mines about 9 lbs or so and if I wanted a lighter yote rifle heres about what I'd do.

700 short action
Ti take off handle
23" barrel that mics .62" at the mzl
8 twist
243 AI

Most likely I'd shoot two bullets, the 55 NBT for my short pelt season (about 6 or 7 weeks here) and I'd use the 95 NBT or the 105 AMax for the rest of the time.

Most likely scope it with a 3-9 or 3-10 Leo with either dotz and or a M1 on top stuck in Talley's.

Dober
Posted By: GaryVA Re: Need a Lighter coyote rifle - 01/15/11
[Linked Image]

This is my dedicated Coyote calling rifle, it's a Sako A7 243. They can be had fairly cheap, mine came out the box at 5-pounds 14-ounces, and it shoots insanely accurate tiny groups. I cannot think of a better lightweight coyote rig for the money.

Best smile

I have a stock 700 in .220 Swift with 24" heavy barrel and Leupold 6x20. It weighs 10lbs without sling and ammo.

I'm thinking going the AI route. What are the advantages/disadvantages?
GaryVA -

Nice rig, I've got a T3 243 coyote rig, but haven't painted it yet.

Cool.

Spot
Posted By: RinB Re: Need a Lighter coyote rifle - 01/15/11
SH Wow you have quite a few nice rifles. How many do you have? What cartridges?
Only 3 now, gave the rest away to friends.
This was my walking coyote rig for several years--

[Linked Image]

17 FB/18" Shilen/Burris 4-12x Burris Mini/30 grainers @ ~3400

How do those things work for a quick off-hand shot?
[Linked Image]

Here is mine. I need a new pic since I had the barrel installed. It's a 243 ackley, 23.5" shilen barrel on a remington 600 action. Brown Precision stock.

I usually run the 55 NBT or the 58 vmax, shoot real well at over 4000fps. During deer or antelope I will switch to the 85 tsx. The sierra 85 hpbt shoots the lights out as well.
Posted By: MtnHtr Re: Need a Lighter coyote rifle - 01/15/11
Here's mine:
[Linked Image]

Factory Rem 700 sporter in 223, cut to 22", coated in graphite black. McMillan MR stock, pillar bedded. Leupie VXI 3-9 in Talleys. Weighs around 7.25lbs I think?

I prefer some weight in the barrel, makes for steadier off hand shooting.

MtnHtr
I'd buy a Kimber Montana .223 (has a 1-9") twist and rattle can the [bleep] out of it with your choice of camo colors.
I took the easy route rather then a build. Purchased a Model 7 Predator 223. Wears full camo and fluted barrel 1-9 twist. Used Talley bases and right now has a Vortex Viper 2-7 BDC. I have ordered a Nikon Coyote 3-9 in Mossy Oak Brush. Camo on the Nikon is pretty close to the camo on the rifle. Not sure if I'll do the AI thing yet. Weight up right now at 7 pounds 6 ounces.
[Linked Image]

Ken
Ken,

Who did the camo work on that rifle - sweet looking rig.

Spot
It comes from the factory that way.
Steelhead loves my T3..
I've done worse to better rifles......

[Linked Image]
heheheh...
Dude, why don't you loan me some money for a Kimber Montana in 243?

Took Bob along for an afternoon birdfeeding expedition yesterday.
No yote sightings but the wind was blowing and I imagine they were hunkered down pretty tight.

That rifle has officially gone feral......(grin)
[Linked Image]

Keeping warm up north Jay?
Posted By: aalf Re: Need a Lighter coyote rifle - 01/15/11
My new 22-250 Ackley. 8 pounds, 2 ounces

S/S 700, 23 3/8" Rock mag sporter, McM Classic, 3.5-10, Talleys.

[Linked Image]
I'll send you some money if you carry a better brand of beverage.
I'll PM you the address, personal checks are fine.

Only if you promise to not use the money for food or clothing, whiskey only.
I think barrel contour affects weight more than a couple inches of tube. My 204 and 22-250AI are both 24", but they are a Remington sporter factory contour, so they are not heavy. I would just stick to a lighter contour barrel...
Not a problem!

Kimber Montana in .223 always struck me as a sensible light weight coyote rig.

Holy chit Steelhead did you feed that sucker a hand gernade
or what? Cheers NC
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Dude, why don't you loan me some money for a Kimber Montana in 243?

[Linked Image]

WTF? Yeah, you think I'm going to give you money to waste on that disgusting belly wash? eek
Posted By: CFVA Re: Need a Lighter coyote rifle - 01/16/11
Originally Posted by firearms44
I took the easy route rather then a build. Purchased a Model 7 Predator 223. Wears full camo and fluted barrel 1-9 twist. Used Talley bases and right now has a Vortex Viper 2-7 BDC. I have ordered a Nikon Coyote 3-9 in Mossy Oak Brush. Camo on the Nikon is pretty close to the camo on the rifle. Not sure if I'll do the AI thing yet. Weight up right now at 7 pounds 6 ounces.
[Linked Image]

Ken

How do you like your M7 Predator? Last year I was torn between the M7 Predator in 22-250 or a CZ Predator in 223 (only caliber they come in). Ended up with the CZ, loved the set trigger plus the local dealer is a great guy.
If going factory the LVSF options are great as are the Montana 223, and 243. I like the M7 predator but like the lvsf's and the montana's better.

aalf, that looks like a coyote gettin, chuck launching sob. What bullets are you running in it?

MtnHtr, that is ironic you didn't show the famous coyote bomber in this coyote thread. I guess your 223 is lighter though, wasn't the bomber a 5 contour?
I was thinking LVSF as well,I picked up a Model 7 Predator in .204 to complement my 24" .22-.250AI.The Model 7 is a handy little package,(though the stock weighs a ton!),I use it a lot when hunting smaller farms. Monashee
Originally Posted by doubletap
How do those things work for a quick off-hand shot?

Not too good sir...for me at least. I've heard there are ways though, with a sling.
Posted By: MtnHtr Re: Need a Lighter coyote rifle - 01/16/11
The Coyote Bomber sports a #4 Pac Nor:
[Linked Image]

And at 9.25lbs I prefer the lighter 223 if alot of walking is on order. I do walk with the CB, just not as far.

MtnHtr
[Linked Image]

Why build when you can buy one of these? That'd be a Kimber Montana .223 topped with a Leupold Mark AR 3-9x40mm.
CFVA,
Question ? "How do you like your M7 Predator? Last year I was torn between the M7 Predator in 22-250 or a CZ Predator in 223 (only caliber they come in). Ended up with the CZ, loved the set trigger plus the local dealer is a great guy."

I like the Predator with 9 twist alot more then my 7 stainless 20" 223 with 12 twist. I think the Predator is the answer to the discontinued LVSF. Has the fluted barrel plus full camo. Deep snow here so range time has been limited. Once I choose my load it'll be off to find some fur.

You can purchase the Predator in 223, 22-250 and 243. Might grab a 243 next.

Ken
Posted By: aalf Re: Need a Lighter coyote rifle - 01/16/11
Originally Posted by Partagas
aalf, that looks like a coyote gettin, chuck launching sob. What bullets are you running in it?

75 A-Max

Unfortunately, still a virgin......

Here are a couple of my rigs I use mainly for calling coyotes.

This one is a 223AI DogZapper style all the way and works wonderfully.

[Linked Image]

This one is a 6BR. Sports a #3 Schneider at 22" with a McClassic stock.

[Linked Image]

I would say bullet choice is critical; however, I think 22 calibers are the cats azz for killing coyotes in my neck of the woods.
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
[Linked Image]

Why build when you buy one of these? That'd be a Kimber Montana .223 topped with a Leupold Mark AR 3-9x40mm.

GreatWaputi will that shoot 75 grain bullets? I was wondering if the 223 is fast enough to use a 1 in 9 inch twist with the 75's.

Dink
How does your 6BR feed from the magazine?
DINK,

I have a friend who uses the Privi 223 75gr in his 9 twist AR. Absolutely loves that bullet from a 16" barrel.

Ken
Ackleyfan, this gun did not feed at all until doing the Bryant mag box alteration. It feeds fairly well now. I am not sure what caliber this action started life as. I had another 6BR which fed flawlessly and had no modification. It started as an early 1970's 243 Rem 700.
Originally Posted by DINK
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
[Linked Image]

Why build when you buy one of these? That'd be a Kimber Montana .223 topped with a Leupold Mark AR 3-9x40mm.

GreatWaputi will that shoot 75 grain bullets? I was wondering if the 223 is fast enough to use a 1 in 9 inch twist with the 75's.

Dink

Honestly never tried the 75gr Amax. I know guys are shooting them with good results through Montana .223's, but they're having to tweak the mag box, etc. Heaviest bullets I've shot so far is the 69gr Sierra Matchkings (factory Federal Gold Medal Match ammo) and it absolutely loves 'em!
whats the percentages on the 6br mcswirly
Posted By: Jayph Re: Need a Lighter coyote rifle - 01/16/11
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Keeping warm up north Jay?

Temperatures are not bad but the wind wont go away making things worse.
Originally Posted by 7mmMato
whats the percentages on the 6br mcswirly

Can't remember what I ordered but think it was 70/30. Tried to match some natural gear camo.

Originally Posted by MtnHtr
Here's mine:
[Linked Image]

Factory Rem 700 sporter in 223, cut to 22", coated in graphite black. McMillan MR stock, pillar bedded. Leupie VXI 3-9 in Talleys. Weighs around 7.25lbs I think?

I prefer some weight in the barrel, makes for steadier off hand shooting.

MtnHtr

Mines very similar, except for turrets on scope. Mine weighs 8# on a postal scale...
I'm gathering all the parts for a 6br build will probaly do Mike Bryants mag mod to get it to feed,Thanks AF
Posted By: aalf Re: Need a Lighter coyote rifle - 01/16/11
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
will probably do Mike Bryants mag mod to get it to feed

I've done two 22 Dashers and a 6 Dasher(both BR Improved), and haven't had to do a thing to get them to feed.
Posted By: iddave Re: Need a Lighter coyote rifle - 01/17/11
A Marlin XS-7 in .243 would be a real tough value to beat, and would certainly serve you well as a walking coyote rifle.

Dave
Interesting, did you use Rem 700's or custom actions, I'm still trying to decide on an action!
Posted By: GregW Re: Need a Lighter coyote rifle - 01/17/11
A light coyote rifle?

I'll take this every time. About 7 pounds all up.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: aalf Re: Need a Lighter coyote rifle - 01/17/11
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
Interesting, did you use Rem 700's or custom actions
700's.
What GregW said.

Travis
I'd eagerly grab my Montucky 223AI,before any of my Krunchentickers.

75A-Max would be in it's belly,for them that is slowwwwwww..............(grin)
Posted By: AB2506 Re: Need a Lighter coyote rifle - 01/20/11
Originally Posted by firearms44
CFVA,
Question ? "How do you like your M7 Predator? Last year I was torn between the M7 Predator in 22-250 or a CZ Predator in 223 (only caliber they come in). Ended up with the CZ, loved the set trigger plus the local dealer is a great guy."

I like the Predator with 9 twist alot more then my 7 stainless 20" 223 with 12 twist. I think the Predator is the answer to the discontinued LVSF. Has the fluted barrel plus full camo. Deep snow here so range time has been limited. Once I choose my load it'll be off to find some fur.

You can purchase the Predator in 223, 22-250 and 243. Might grab a 243 next.

Ken

I really like the way the Model 7 Predator handles. I have one in 17 Fireball. Would buy one in 308 in a heart beat if Remington was smart enough to build one. Should also be offered in 260 and 7mm-08.
A Montucky smokes 'em...even in 308............
My light gun is a a Model 7 in 204 Ruger. 20" tube. Leupy Mark 4 PR......
My Seven's appealed MUCH more,in the pre-Montucky Age................(grin)
Posted By: mpwolf Re: Need a Lighter coyote rifle - 01/21/11
Just got word that my local bat cave just landed a .22-250 AI reamer. Time to take the stock BDL out of the closet and rebuild. 1-8" Pacnor #1 @22, either the Ti takeoff, or MCM compact I've got stashed, and a turretted 3.5-10 in talleys, or maybe DD's in an attempt to get things mounted a CH lower. Can't see any reason for things to top out over 7.5 lbs, or not shoot.
The Great One's Ti based(action and stock) MR duped 22-250AI 1-8" at 22",is fairly wicked.

It's LW'd with a 3.5-10x non AO,wearing turrets of course.

I hear good things.................(grin)
Posted By: GregW Re: Need a Lighter coyote rifle - 01/21/11
Originally Posted by Big Stick
The Great One's Ti based(action and stock) MR duped 22-250AI 1-8" at 22",is fairly wicked.

It's LW'd with a 3.5-10x non AO,wearing turrets of course.

I hear good things.................(grin)

This blueprint sure sounds familiar. The hint is rollin' at 23"...
My 1-7.7" Kreiger 22-250AI is 23" and I cain't bitch about the speeds..............
You're getting nearly 3600+ with moly'd 75's if I recall from a 22" tube?

I've slept since then...
Nope. 3500 in my 23"................
10-4...
Posted By: mpwolf Re: Need a Lighter coyote rifle - 01/26/11
soounds like it could just work.
Here's another one of mine at 6 lbs with bipod. Don't think it gets much more portable than a specialty pistol--

[Linked Image]
next generation arms x7
http://www.nextgenerationarms.com/
Watching this thread with interest. I need the left handed version...
GregW,

Hadn't looked at this thread after the first few posts until this morning. What are the specs on your AR and do you have anymore pics of that awesome truckmounted shooting blind?

We're pondering doing some radical stuff to my youngest's '95 S10 4x4 to make it a varmint rig!

Originally Posted by GregW
A light coyote rifle?

I'll take this every time. About 7 pounds all up.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Another Model 7, this one stock:

[Linked Image]
Issued Seven handles are so damned heavy,that all weight savings are lost,in the 7 to 700 receiver extrapolation.

Shame.............
Posted By: Bruzer Re: Need a Lighter coyote rifle - 01/28/11
My kids Marlin 15YN works for Yotes and weighs in about 5lbs all up smile

[Linked Image]

Bruz
© 24hourcampfire