Home
How come you dont see custom rugers?
I am assuming you mean the bolt action centerfire? Angled recoil lug, ruger rings, cast action are three things I hear others complain about on Ruger bolt action centerfire rifles. Possibly the trigger as well since it would be difficult to get an extremely light pull. I like Ruger, but their stocks don't like me. A .243 feels like a 300 Winchester Magnum. Long neck and arms are not meant for a classic shaped stock.
Custom how?
I had one.

Not the best platform to build off of though.

A. They are heavy.
B. You are stuck with their ring system.
C. Not a lot of aftermarket stocks for them.

It is a shame they use that retarded angled lug, they do offer a lot of latitude in their mag boxes on the short actions. And their triggers can be easily swapped out for a Timney etc.
i have 2 custom rugers on the way:

1 will stay in it's original stock the other will be in a High-Tech specialties

my reason for going ruger vs something else is that is what my gunsmith wanted to build off of
Quick, there's one!

.25-06

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

There's another'n...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Thought I had pics of the .223 but couldn't find them. Oh, well, it looks a lot like the other two.

Have a 77 in a Micky 77r with a 8 twist #5 Shileen in 260. It gets feed a lot of 140 Amax's these days.
the reason is there are so few custom options for them. mcmillan has very limited stock options and the mk 2 stock they do have I don't particularly like. a copy of the factory stock would be nice but they only copy the tang safety model. I am not aware of of any bottom metal choices or detachable mag setups available. you are also stuck with ruger rings. as time goes on I prefer my rifles with pic rails, so I can swap on a load development scope when I need to, not doable with rugers. I like rugers but thats part of the reason.
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Quick, there's one!

.25-06

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

There's another'n...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Thought I had pics of the .223 but couldn't find them. Oh, well, it looks a lot like the other two.

See thats the reason you don't see custom rugers , they put the shifters on the wrong side of em... crazy crazy LOL
That is kind of like asking "When is the last time you saw a custom Ford Pinto?"
I don't see any, unless I open my safe!
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Here's mine, it was made to hunt bean fields and it does that very well. As custom as most 700's I see.

.264 Winchester Magnum
27.5" Krieger #4 fluted barrel
Timney trigger
McMillan stock
Schmidt & Bender 3-12X50 Zenith scope

I like the rings, it wasn't made to be light weight and it's very accurate. Just a simple custom/semi-custom rifle. I'm satisfied with it.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Terry
Originally Posted by Ruger270man

Pretty simple really, too many better choices.

MM
+1
I have only seen two over the past few years, a tang safety
77 in 280I and a 77 MKII in 7BR.
Never say never... wink

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Laffin

Folks don't usually build on Rugers because they are, well, Rugers. Remington or Winchester are about the status quo
I've done one and about to do another. Those that speak negatively about the Ruger trigger have never felt one done right.

My 16 year old nephew has the 260 I had put together. McWoody, stainless, graphite black Cerakote and pillar bedding by Eddie F, Douglas #2 8 twist.....it's a tack driver.

I'd really like to get a second barrel in 264 Win Mag for my 338 MKII and make it a switch barrel rig. Don't have to worry about the lug needing pinned... laugh
Plain and simple truth is that the Remington 700 has become the small block Chevy of the bolt action rifle, aftermarket in-stock parts galore, action truing jigs available off the shelf, the round receiver makes blueprinting easy = less machine time. In the end, most of the money sunk into a custom will not be recouped when selling, but a custom Remington will most likely sell quicker and with less of a loss than all but a true custom action,(i.e. Bat, Stolle, Hart,Borden,Stiller (SPF), Nesika,Farley, RFD, Hall).
Consider this FACT....the above named custom actions much more closely mimic Remington 700's than any other production rifle......that in itself speaks volumes.
Originally Posted by haschbuck

Consider this FACT....the above named custom actions much more closely mimic Remington 700's than any other production rifle......that in itself speaks volumes.

Indeed. Huh, don't US armed forces use Remington actions? crazy (hint)

Laffin
"When is the last time you saw a custom Ford Pinto?

I love it.

Good- not real good all purpose rifle. Not worth building on.
I use ruger rifles in crappy weather.
Originally Posted by Tim_B
i have 2 custom rugers on the way:

1 will stay in it's original stock the other will be in a High-Tech specialties

my reason for going ruger vs something else is that is what my gunsmith wanted to build off of
That's different , most guys I know either don't want to or won't work with a ruger
How come you don't see custom rugers?

Same reason you don't see anyone courtin' the fat chicks at the bar......

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by aalf

[Linked Image]

Hmmmmm. May be just my beer goggles talkin', but the one on the right doesn't look too fat.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by swag
[Linked Image]

Throw a little Cher in there and I'm down!

Originally Posted by aalf

[Linked Image]

A custom Ruger. Why not. And I call the skinny one!
I just bedded a ruger MKII this weekend. Forgot what a crude receiver they are. They might as well have started with a brick and hooked a trigger to it.
I did a 375 and 416 Taylor on the tang safety 77 action. put a weatherby type stock on the 375, best group to date is 7/8" with 270 gr Hornadys and IMR 4064.Does kick alittle though ;0)
There's a whole bunch of custom barreled Rugers floating around Montana. They get used because of their bulletproof scope mounting system, which is one of the only mounts I've had that actually stays in line.

Many of these rifles spend their lives in a saddle scabbard or in a pickup gun rack, get the living schit shot out of them, and get cleaned once every decade or so. They work great. I know, because I have a couple.
The reason there are so many aftermarket parts for Model 700's is because Model 700's need them. wink

[Linked Image]
The reason there are so many aftermarket parts for Model 700's is because Model 700's need them. wink

[Linked Image]

Factory rifle? Hot load? Did you use a mallet on it or what?? Who did the jeweling? How else was it modded? Is that galling on the rear of one lug?

Yes.

No. Sierra 55 gr. Spitzer, 21.5 gr. IMR4198, that's 1/2 grain below Sierra's listed max load for this bullet.

Nothing, I simply opened the bolt with my hand normally.

Remington.

Out of the box Model 700 VS .223. In the interests of full disclosure I did swap out the factory trigger for a Jewell. That may have weakened the bolt handle.

No, that's part of the terrycloth towel.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/5548128/1

Here's another thread about the first one falling off of a different Model 700 back in 2005.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/473366/1
I don't think the Ruger is a terrible action upon which to build a custom rifle. It requires a substantial amount of work to correct the factory polishing but the action has a couple of neat design features. One such is the angled front guard screw. Pulling the recoil lug back into the seat isn't a bad idea. I like it. Another is the bolt stop. After re-polishing, it looks pretty good and it functions very well. I wish the Ruger rings were lower but one can always modify the receiver and fit Talley bases (we are talking custom, right?)
I have one tang safety model which I re-barreled and re-shaped the stock. It's a decent sporter.
Another has been made into a single shot and modified for a rimmed cartridge. It is barreled for the 30/40 Krag cartridge and fitted with a Remington 2 oz trigger.
Although they are a pushfeed, I like the tang safety models better than the MKII. GD
Factory rifle? Hot load? Did you use a mallet on it or what??

Looks like it has warts! grin miles
Because a Ruger is a working rifle.
[Linked Image]
While not a true "custom" here's one I rebarreled for my left handed son three years ago. It was a Mark II stainless 30-06 that left the factory in a laminate stock.
I rebarreled it to 35 Whelen with a 14" twist King barrel at 22-1/2" and put it in a walnut stock.
I had my reamer modified to shorten the leade .080" which puts a 225 Accubond in the mag box with about .040" clearance when seated .030" off the lands...perfect.
After these pics were taken I tore it down and beadblasted the shine off and he mounted a 2.5-8X Leupold in lower rings.
I've reworked the trigger to a bit less than three pounds without creep.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
'cuz they work fine as delivered? That said, and it did, I tweaked my old tang RS Whelen by bedding it in a Bansner stock I trimmed and finished, adding a No.1 swivel band, an NECG front sourdough blade and a fixed rear blade I filed in for the 225 gr TSX load I use. All manner of critters including elk and moose have readily tumbled to the piece. My handload runs a consistent 1.5" 5 shot average that just works.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Laffin. To quote Ice Cube, check yourself before you wreck yourself.
Originally Posted by greydog
I don't think the Ruger is a terrible action upon which to build a custom rifle. It requires a substantial amount of work to correct the factory polishing but the action has a couple of neat design features. One such is the angled front guard screw. Pulling the recoil lug back into the seat isn't a bad idea. I like it. Another is the bolt stop. After re-polishing, it looks pretty good and it functions very well. I wish the Ruger rings were lower but one can always modify the receiver and fit Talley bases (we are talking custom, right?)
I have one tang safety model which I re-barreled and re-shaped the stock. It's a decent sporter.
Another has been made into a single shot and modified for a rimmed cartridge. It is barreled for the 30/40 Krag cartridge and fitted with a Remington 2 oz trigger.
Although they are a pushfeed, I like the tang safety models better than the MKII. GD

Inlet one into a wood stock and get back with us on that great idea...

I have several tang-safety 77s and like them for what they are... but the angled action screw is ridiculous.
As much as I dislike the front angled screw, I hate the 2 piece bottom metal more.
God, that ain't no joke. Cannot see any reason for that retarded center screw. I am not sure why nobody makes a one piece aftermarket unit.
What's the ol saying about polishing a turd? Perfume on a pig, etc... grin
The angled screw is a problem if you let it be one but it doesn't have to be.
When inletting, I inlet the action, ignoring the angled screw. Once the barreled action is to depth, I drill a 17/64 hole from the action through the bottom of the stock at the correct angle (thirty degrees from vertical). I then use a piloted cutter to cut from the bottom to proper depth. The bottom of this hole gives me the correct depth to inlet the front hinge plate.
While the use of the angled screw doesn't actually mandate the use of two piece bottom metal, the two piece metal does allow some tolerance when inletting. One piece metal would require more precise depth.
The point is this; when building a custom rifle, there should be some challenges. Otherwise, what's the point? Look at the work and effort we put into building on a Mauser, Springfield, Enfield, or even a Model 70.
If a guy is really bummed about the Ruger angled screw, he can always re-drill and put in a vertical screw. Remember, it's a custom. GD
Even better idea for Ruger...ditch the floorplate altogether and make it a blind magazine, then ditch the angled screw, then ditch the ring system and just tap the receiver so I can use different rings.

Ruger just did schit different to be "different." None of their features offer any sort of advantage.
Originally Posted by greydog
The angled screw is a problem if you let it be one but it doesn't have to be.
When inletting, I inlet the action, ignoring the angled screw. Once the barreled action is to depth, I drill a 17/64 hole from the action through the bottom of the stock at the correct angle (thirty degrees from vertical). I then use a piloted cutter to cut from the bottom to proper depth. The bottom of this hole gives me the correct depth to inlet the front hinge plate.
While the use of the angled screw doesn't actually mandate the use of two piece bottom metal, the two piece metal does allow some tolerance when inletting. One piece metal would require more precise depth.
The point is this; when building a custom rifle, there should be some challenges. Otherwise, what's the point? Look at the work and effort we put into building on a Mauser, Springfield, Enfield, or even a Model 70.
If a guy is really bummed about the Ruger angled screw, he can always re-drill and put in a vertical screw. Remember, it's a custom. GD

Holy [bleep], now one needs The Karma Sutra of gunsmithing.
I don't mind putting in finishing touches that look good... cannot imagine the point in wasting time to do schit that was done poorly from the factory... and even intentionally! And it is all hidden.

I can grind out an oversize inlet and glass bed the action to get things where I want them, too, but that lacks any indication of refinement like you would/should see on a custom rifle.
Gee, that "retarded" middle action screw and 2-piece bottom metal, like the ones on the pre-'64 Model 70 Winchester?

It's easy to bed the 77 angled lug with any of the kinds of epoxy bedding material used on, say, Remington 700's, Winchester Model 70's, etc.

I had Charlie Sisk build me a custom .300 Winchester Magnum on the original 77 action, because I like the tang safety and the scope-mounting system (there are other rings than Rugers available, by the way). He said the actions are no tougher to work on that 700's, and used a Lilja barrel and Bansner stock. I only tried two different bullets, the 168 TSX and 200 Partition, and it shot little bitty groups with both. All it ever killed was 6-point elk and big mule deer, but eventually one of my editors said he was tired of reading about it, so I sold it. Wish I hadn't.
While I have two M77 mk II's and consider them a wonderful tough duty rifle and a good factory offering, I just can't warm up to them as a basis for a custom.

If you want a svelte rifle, the rem 700 gets the nod, if you want a CRF the M70 gets the nod.

It's not like you save any money starting with Ruger 77, so why compromise?
I like Rugers.

I have a quasi-custom on a Tanger.

Travis
wow,...all this Ruger bashing makes me want to rebarrel and restock one. I like them.
The actions are hell for stout, the ring system works just fine and you'll never pull the bolt handle off. You don't use one for a lightweight without lots of modding.
Yep, 2 piece bottom metal sucks. A pre-64 M70 attribute only increases the suckage factor.
Have a pretty 7x57 tanger, really nice trigger, that want to rebarrel 257rbrts a little more weight-forward, have forend slimmed and new lop/pad - but haven't been able to bring myself to do it - it's a frickken ruger, gay recoil lug and chit BM. But I will someday. Childhood friend had a ruger 257rbrts, always thought it was neat rifle as a kid so it's a nostalgia thing.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Gee, that "retarded" middle action screw and 2-piece bottom metal, like the ones on the pre-'64 Model 70 Winchester?

Exactly! At least someone invented a one piece bottom metal for the M70's though.

One a side note, better hope McMillan never goes out of business. Otherwise getting a good stock for a MKII or Hawkeye is not happening. Other than being stuck with a blued action, the original M77 tang models at least have several stock options.
Am a little surprised no one offers an alum bottom 1-pc bottom metal. Would think there's enough demand for at least one small-time shop/vendor to turn a profit.
Probably because once you attach the stock to the barreled action it becomes a non-issue.
True enough, though it's cheap-azz looking and low-tolerance pot metal that, and though I really like the rifle, the underside makes me cringe.
And aluminum would be better? Mine is stainless.
If aluminum is an issue get hawkeye bottom metal.
The idiot angled screw draws the bottom metal in two directions at once... getting EVERY stock identical in something like wood which will move there is no way to do a proper one piece.

Greydog may think the two piece BM is not needed, but not having it would increase the fitting problems.

Glass bedding is not an issue as it fixes the issues... but why? The angled screw is simply an idea best left on the cutting room floor.

The angled screw was supposed to be cutting edge. They must have let the admin assistant "engineer" that gem. A tightly bedded vertical lug doesn't need to be "sucked back" against the stock, it can't move regardless.
You might note that I said the angled guard screw didn't make two piece bottom metal mandatory but the use of two piece metal allowed some tolerance. As you surmised, the use of one piece metal would require very precise location of the bottom metal. I alluded to this as well.
On my single shot M77, I installed two vertical screws in the solid bottom (the tang floats). Since it is a single shot and there is no floorplate, the different angles become a non-issue. I did reject the idea of making one-piece metal for the reason given however. No point in buying trouble!
I had a couple of friends (brothers) who built their own actions for benchrest rifles. They liked the angled screw concept and incorporated this into their actions and into their action sleeves for Remingtons. This was before glue-ins were common and they were very accomplished shooters and consistent winners. I don't know how much the angled screw helped but it certainly didn't hurt. By the late seventies they, along with everyone else, were gluing the rifles together so screws became superfluous.
These guys also liked Rugers and shot varmint rifles based on Ruger actions. They often used chromoly barrels which they left unblued and just let them rust "I'm pretty sure I'll burn it out from the inside before it rusts through from the outside", said one of the brothers.
I can understand complaints about the triggers. They could certainly have been designed a little better. Not the worst on the market though. GD
I think that the MKII/Hawkeye trigger is a big plus, Its a simple open design that can be easily tuned and won't collect dust or ice. In fact leaving the open trigger design is one big negative for the SC m70s in my book.

A little polishing and spring can change a MKII or hawkeye trigger into a nice 2.5lb trigger. Yes it does require more than turning an allen screw. If that to complex there is always a timney.

In my mind the ideal hunting rifle would be a stainless pre-64, but of course that doesn't exist, The m70 classics (compared to a MKII or hawkeye) of course have more latitude in scope mounting, a better safety design and lack the stupid angled screw. Those that don't like the square reciever of the M77 may mention that as well. On the other hand, the M77 has a one piece bolt, a lighter reciever than the winchester and if you like the ruger scope mounts, a very sold system for scope mounting.
Ruger makes over-engineered stuff that takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin', that's what they do. They leave the refinement and polish to someone else.

When I customized my three Model 77's I just put new stocks on them that were made to fit me personally. I left everything else factory stock - barrel, trigger and action. Okay, trigger jobs on each, but I didn't swap it for a Timney as there was no need, the factory triggers break clean and crisp at 2.25, 2.75 and 3.25 pounds for the three rifles. The .25-06 and .308 are as accurate as can be asked, 5 shots well under an inch. I could spend $300 or more for a new barrel and another $200-300 to have the action trued and barrel fitted to do what - maybe shave two or three tenths of an inch off of the groups? The .223 is a bit disappointing, it barely shades an inch with 5 shots. After I burn out the existing barrel in 20 years I might get a good one for it. wink

I've always found it interesting that so many people wouldn't consider a Ruger rifle as the basis for a classy custom (with the possible exception of the #1), yet a lot of other people will spend beaucoup bucks turning a Blackhawk into a work of art - barrel band front sight, new round or octagonal barrel, action jobs, new cylinder pin, new grips, even line boring an existing cylinder to a larger caliber - fancy shmancy. Admittedly they generally can use a trigger job and some firelapping but beyond that nothing need be done to a Blackhawk to turn it into an uber-reliable very accurate handgun.
Ruger doesn't have any competition when it comes to a readily available mass produced base model single action revolver as a basis for a custom.
GD, does having a lug that angles downward cause any unusual stress's during recoil as opposed to an action that would just try to move only backwards (or parallel ) to the stock ? It would seem that in the case of the Ruger, that having the recoil lug on a 45 degree angle that the action would move backwards and downwards during recoil, no ?
The bering surface of the lug isn't angled. It functions just like any other lug. Its just the screw that is angled.

It's easy to bed the 77 angled lug with any of the kinds of epoxy bedding material used on, say, Remington 700's, Winchester Model 70's, etc.

I had Charlie Sisk build me a custom .300 Winchester Magnum on the original 77 action, because I like the tang safety and the scope-mounting system (there are other rings than Rugers available, by the way). He said the actions are no tougher to work on that 700's, and used a Lilja barrel and Bansner stock. I only tried two different bullets, the 168 TSX and 200 Partition, and it shot little bitty groups with both. All it ever killed was 6-point elk and big mule deer, but eventually one of my editors said he was tired of reading about it, so I sold it. Wish I hadn't.

Good post JB. These guys can keep hating on the 77 and stick with their 700's. Bunch of crying [bleep] babies cry .
I see lots of banter here back and forth, but the only ones I see "crying like babies" are the M70 and pre-64 guys. Sure lots make fun of each other and like to rib each other, but the JOC crowd act as if you were calling their mother, daughter or sister a whore.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Good post JB. These guys can keep hating on the 77 and stick with their 700's. Bunch of crying [bleep] babies cry .

The question was why you do not see custom Rugers... Please giggle on and trade knowing winks while everybody else stands back and shakes their heads...

The answers are obvious...
Reminds me of a Cormac McCarthy line from the novel Sutree, I believe, and it involved an immature "Jeff" dryhumping his "Mutt", Sutree.

sic... The City Rat looked at Sutree and he looked back with a look the City Rat mistook for total admiration.
I would site the following reasons
1. Cast receiver bugs many folks, if you look you can see mold reminates , pitty looking marks etc. I have a Montana 1999 cast by the same folks you see the same things, in fairness you see things on other actions as well!
2. Angled lug throws folks into a tizzy. All others use either a 90 degree washer style or 90 degree lug.
3. Lack of aftermarket parts.
4. So so reputation for factory accuracy ( which s really much better these days)
5. Factory trigger lacking ( there are after market triggers that work well)
6. Thought competition from the Model 70 & 700, Howa / Weatherby/ Tikka T3( which many here love and it's got a ton of polymer parts but they always shoot)
7. Action does not cycle as smooth as some until it is used for a bit.

A Ford Pinto......that was funny....makes me think about the Vega by GM and the AM Gremlin.......there were some dandies over the years.......let's not forget my all time favorite the Yugo.

I believe the Ruger Hawkeye now is a pretty decent rifle for the coin. You get CRF if that's your thing, decent trigger, and they will usually shoot about and 1" or so out ofthe box. You see a lot of guides use them cause they are rugged and will almost always go Bang.
All that being said, I bought a 6.5 creedmoor with a 26"barreled factory rifle, added a rifle Basix trigger and this gun shoots 1/2-3/4" groups with the 120 grain NBT and a stiff charge of Ramshot hunter. It's a reall nice rifle for the money. I promise you it will always have a spot in my safe.
Goodshot
My first custom was based off a Ruger. Being a lefty, I could have either bought new and spent $500 plus on any of the rifles or looked used. I found a LH M77 with a beat up stock and gave $225 for the donor. It became 6.5x55 Swede with a 22" 1-8" twist Krieger #2 barrel in a LH McMillan Ruger MK II classic stock with a FL barrel bed. I had a Timney set at 2.25#.

The rifle is certainly a shooter; it will consistently cloverleaf Sierra Matchkings, put 140g Accbuonds into 1/2" groups, and print 5/8" groups with 140g Partitions and a stout load of IMR 7828. I've recorded well over 100 groups in my logs with this rifle and the aggregate accuracy from 100, 200, and 300y groups is 0.592 MOA. That's good enough for me.

Roger Ferrell of Fayetteville, GA built the rifle. He's certainly not had any issues getting the two Ruger's I've had him work on bedded. The only downside could be weight, but for Eastern hunting that's largely a non-issue.

[Linked Image]
Dammit buzz that swede won't kill a Canadian deer
The only posts suggesting difficulty in bedding the 77 angled lug are those supporting its use, not the detractors.

Telling, no?

I have bedded a whole bunch of them without issue... though there is some screwing around needed during preparation to make things work right.
I guess I have bedded 30 rugers and maybe a half dozen remingtons, I think its easier to bed the ruger, no screwing around tapeing a lug and if you rebarrel, no hoping the lug goes back exactly the same.
I believe the only short action stock being made for the Ruger MKII's and Hawkeyes is by McMillan. You also cannot get any good aftermarket rings for them unless you want to run "highs". They are also a very heavy action to start with. Those reasons alone don't make them a good candidate for something you want to "Customize."

Originally Posted by noKnees
I guess I have bedded 30 rugers and maybe a half dozen remingtons, I think its easier to bed the ruger, no screwing around tapeing a lug and if you rebarrel, no hoping the lug goes back exactly the same.

I have bedded far more Remingtons for 24hr members than you have bedded rifles. And I have bedded far more 77s than you have... and frankly, you are nuts if you think lining up that angled screw in wet epoxy is neater and cleaner than a Remington.

Neither is particularly difficult. Hard to imagine the few seconds required to slap a little tape on the bottom of a lug is a bother worth mentioning.

Makes no difference to me what make or model rifle I am dealing with, a barrel change would always be followed by skim bedding.
I think no one customizes them because they generally work fine just the way they come from the factory. They still work decades later too--no updates needed.
I like the message here.
[Linked Image]
I built a 243 AI with a Hart 1-12 twist in Max heavy varmint 28" length, had a McMillen Hunter benchrest stock inletted for the ruger action and barrel contour. I bedded the first 6" of the barrel.

This was a project to see how the ruger would shoot compared to a Rem in the same stock, same barrel and twist, cut with the same reamer, the only difference was that I had a 2 oz trigger on the Rem and I had the factory old tang safety tweeked to 1 lb on the Ruger.

The ruger shot to within .035 of the Rem, which could be attributed to wind, and difference in barrels also. Groups with the ruger were in the .285 area for five shot groups with benchrest bullets and 36x scope.

After the test I sold the rifle to a guy that wanted to get in the 1000 yd club in Varmint hunter magazines, which he did very easily, according to him.

My neighbor had a custom hart barrel put on a Mark II ruger and a 6.5x47 Lapua put on another Mark II, they both are exceptional shooters.

My neighbor just purchased a Ruger in a 6.5 Creedmore, and it is a tack driver to say the least.

Resale of custom rugers is a very tough sale as there is a very small following of buyers that will fork out the bucks for a custom Ruger.
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
The only posts suggesting difficulty in bedding the 77 angled lug are those supporting its use, not the detractors.

Telling, no?

I have bedded a whole bunch of them without issue... though there is some screwing around needed during preparation to make things work right.

Total BS. Ruger m77's are easy as [bleep] to bed. No "screwing around" needed. If you're screwing around, you might want to re-think your methods.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Telling, no?

Total BS. Ruger m77's are easy as [bleep] to bed. No "screwing around" needed. If you're screwing around, you might want to re-think your methods.

Sorry, I do not have to guess about how to bed a 77. Disabusing you of your fantasies is not my job, either.

I've multiple Ruger Customs. Their relative undoing is weight,L/A COAL latitude and optics mounting systems.

Their Swan Song is 77/22 K-Hornets.
For me, I would just have difficulty spending good money on improving a rifle, then in attempt to show it off to a friend, say "Here's my custom rifle with investment cast receiver which my gunsmith reverse engineered to correct it's inherent design glitches......but it shoots almost as good as a Custom-action build...and it only costs me a few bucks more.
You being at the mercy of your "abilities","means" and "comprehension" is a very fair sentence. Bless your heart.

You are in so far over your [bleep] head,that you'd best hope someone takes pity and starts pumping daylight to you.

Saw this rifle take (3) Bucks,in (3) pokes on the same day,minutes apart...all better than 1K. .505BC at 3225fps,250yd zero,feel free to do the math.

[Linked Image]

Looking forward to you flaunting your Imagination.

Laffin'!
For me, I would just have difficulty spending good money on improving a rifle, then in attempt to show it off to a friend, say "Here's my custom rifle with investment cast receiver which my gunsmith reverse engineered to correct it's inherent design glitches......but it shoots almost as good as a Custom-action build...and it only costs me a few bucks more.

Or you could say here is my Stainless CRF rifle with a one piece bolt, mauser extractor/ejector, open trigger design and three position safety. Its even got an integral scope mount that lets me remove and replace the scope without changing zero. Its chambered in a cartridge I like, with the amount of throat I wanted for my bullet and the stock fits my LOP.

There are only a few actions that have most of those features and each has its own set of limitations or costs. in a perfect world I would have built my ruger customs on a stainless Pre-64 or stainless mauser, but they are not so common.
Did someone mention Hornets. These are all 17 Hornets.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][img]http://imageshack.us/scaled/thumb/94/img4819x.jpg[/img] [img]http://imageshack.us/scaled/thumb/46/0t9q.jpg[/img]
Setting the OEM .224" SAAMI spout back and punching to K-Hornet,is one of the best kept secrets in the Industry.

Oh they DAZZLE!

Originally Posted by Boxer

Saw this rifle take (3) Bucks,in (3) pokes on the same day,minutes apart...all better than 1K. .505BC at 3225fps,250yd zero,feel free to do the math.

I can see by the pic, and in doing the math that set-up is long-range challenged..... unless your extremely lucky with hail Mary's.I am guessing the wardens are now in possession?
You being at the mercy of your "abilities","means" and "comprehension" is a very fair sentence. Bless your heart.

You are in so far over your [bleep] head,that you'd best hope someone takes pity and starts pumping daylight to you.

[Linked Image]

Looking forward to you flaunting your Imagination.

Laffin'!

What Mickey pattern is that, 'Stick?

I can see by the pic, and in doing the math that set-up is long-range challenged..... unless your extremely lucky with hail Mary's.I am guessing the wardens are now in possession?

Luck

You poor,poor stupid [bleep]. Who dresses you in the morning and chews your food for you?!?

As mentioned prior,your stuck being you...is cruel and unusual punishment.

Laffin'!
A5.
Thanks, man.
It seems the Whiners ran outta Pretend,to Imagine about.

I'll frost it for 'em.(grin)

[Linked Image]
Custom rifles are all about modifications. If the foundation of the rifle is a Ruger action and the gunmaker has made numerous modifications to improve it, it is just that much more "custom".
Ruger actions present some challenges but so do others. At least, if you build your rifle on a Ruger, you won't be just like everyone else. GD

[Linked Image]

I like that k-hornit a lot.
I hear good things.

[Linked Image]
Very good things.

[Linked Image]
All that sunshine! Musta been up at Milford again? wink

[Linked Image]
Try to go,every other year or so.
Nice fish!!!
Speaking of customizing a Ruger. What problems might one have running a 284 Win case through a SA MK II all weather originally chambered for 260 Rem?

I bought matching boat paddle SS 260's for my son and myself several years ago. They both shot like crap with any load I tried. After bedding and dinking with this and that and finally sending mine in for a new factory laminate stock, which I sanded the pressure point out of the barrel channel and then epoxy bedded from tang to the front end of the stock. I got mine to shoot about 1.5 moa.

My son's rifle is still shooting 2.5 to 4 moa with the factory boat paddle stock, on which I glassed the action area.

So I just traded with my son and gave him the 1.5 inch rifle, and I took the crappy one, thinking I would send it in for a new barrel and some accurizing work.

Maybe another 6mm-284, or possibly a 6.5-284?

Or perhaps something in 7mm for the kids to kill big game with?
My ruger SS 270 with the boat paddle stock shoots 2" at 300 yards with the 110g tipped triple shock at 3350 fps, all I did was bed the forearm and hone the trigger...really sweet rifle.
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Speaking of customizing a Ruger. What problems might one have running a 284 Win case through a SA MK II all weather originally chambered for 260 Rem?

I bought matching boat paddle SS 260's for my son and myself several years ago. They both shot like crap with any load I tried. After bedding and dinking with this and that and finally sending mine in for a new factory laminate stock, which I sanded the pressure point out of the barrel channel and then epoxy bedded from tang to the front end of the stock. I got mine to shoot about 1.5 moa.

My son's rifle is still shooting 2.5 to 4 moa with the factory boat paddle stock, on which I glassed the action area.

So I just traded with my son and gave him the 1.5 inch rifle, and I took the crappy one, thinking I would send it in for a new barrel and some accurizing work.

If you throat in conjunction with COAL,it'll do you nice thangs. Have yerked triggers on 77's in 6-284,25-284,284 and 30-284.

If you throat in conjunction with COAL,it'll do you nice thangs. Have yerked triggers on 77's in 6-284,25-284,284 and 30-284.

Thanks, that was what I was hoping to hear.

Sell them to me in the boat paddle stocks. Seriously.
Ruger S/A COAL is a nice thang.

Winny of course,will get you more and might could make you warmest/fuzziest,at The Finish Line.
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

You bogart........... grin
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

How much is a six moa 260 with less than 100 rounds through it worth?
Donor dollars.(grin)

Though I'd ascertain fastener integrity,prior to parting with same.

Fore and aft bloody knuckle,the amidship gets a free pass.

Hint.
Found a 'Smith today in Boise who says he can make a 1/4 moa 6.5-284 out of it. He likes Kreiger barrels. I think I will give him a shot.
Jennifer McKrieger FFN (FullFrontalNudity)

[Linked Image]

Found a 'Smith today in Boise who says he can make a 1/4 moa 6.5-284 out of it. He likes Kreiger barrels. I think I will give him a shot.

Really watch the throating,in that application.

I'd be sending a dummy round,as a throat blueprint and it'd incorporate the highest BC projectile of my intent,seated to allow land chasin' from the box.

Hint.
Why no custom Rugers ? Because they are almost custom right out of the box grin

How are you functionally going to improve on this 22 or this 416 ?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
That is what I did with the two I sent to Pac-Nor. Three dummys for each rifle seated to .010 short of mag constraints.

Perhaps in this application make it .030 shy of mag lehgth? I can't imagine I'll ever shoot anything heavier than 140's in it. I have been using AB's and BT's for years in the 260 and 264. But I think I will pick up some 140 Berger VLD for throating purposes. That should make it good to go with what ever I decide to feed it.

8 inch twist?
Weight is a misnomer,length/profiles are THE focus and moneymaker.

Simply dummy up your sleekest sumbitch and bask in the constant,that all else will fall nicely into place,by default.
I think I just read somewhere that you "don't slum bergers".

Recommendation for a slippery 140'ish .264 for use on wolf/deer/ elk critters to 500 yds????????
Yes on 8 twist.
As upper echelon BC Terminal Affects go,the Lapua Scenar is never a bad first move.
140 vld is a killer in 6.5 as well. Lots of options.
There is and most of 'em poor.(grin)
As upper echelon BC Terminal Affects go,the Lapua Scenar is never a bad first move.

Thanks.
Spill your guts on the findings.

Lemme frost it with a "Toldjaso" well in advance.(grin)
I'll get back to you in a few months, after the build. 'Course in today's market, I'd better start shopping for those scenars today.

Got no problem with "Toldjaso"s accompanying good advice.
That 139 Scenar is damned impressive from Lapua's charts w/ BC = 0.578. But I don't need to tell you that.

© 24hourcampfire