Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I think no one customizes them because they generally work fine just the way they come from the factory. They still work decades later too--no updates needed.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like the message here.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
[Linked Image]

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
I built a 243 AI with a Hart 1-12 twist in Max heavy varmint 28" length, had a McMillen Hunter benchrest stock inletted for the ruger action and barrel contour. I bedded the first 6" of the barrel.

This was a project to see how the ruger would shoot compared to a Rem in the same stock, same barrel and twist, cut with the same reamer, the only difference was that I had a 2 oz trigger on the Rem and I had the factory old tang safety tweeked to 1 lb on the Ruger.

The ruger shot to within .035 of the Rem, which could be attributed to wind, and difference in barrels also. Groups with the ruger were in the .285 area for five shot groups with benchrest bullets and 36x scope.

After the test I sold the rifle to a guy that wanted to get in the 1000 yd club in Varmint hunter magazines, which he did very easily, according to him.

My neighbor had a custom hart barrel put on a Mark II ruger and a 6.5x47 Lapua put on another Mark II, they both are exceptional shooters.

My neighbor just purchased a Ruger in a 6.5 Creedmore, and it is a tack driver to say the least.

Resale of custom rugers is a very tough sale as there is a very small following of buyers that will fork out the bucks for a custom Ruger.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
The only posts suggesting difficulty in bedding the 77 angled lug are those supporting its use, not the detractors.

Telling, no?

I have bedded a whole bunch of them without issue... though there is some screwing around needed during preparation to make things work right.

Total BS. Ruger m77's are easy as [bleep] to bed. No "screwing around" needed. If you're screwing around, you might want to re-think your methods.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
The only posts suggesting difficulty in bedding the 77 angled lug are those supporting its use, not the detractors.

Telling, no?

I have bedded a whole bunch of them without issue... though there is some screwing around needed during preparation to make things work right.

Total BS. Ruger m77's are easy as [bleep] to bed. No "screwing around" needed. If you're screwing around, you might want to re-think your methods.

Sorry, I do not have to guess about how to bed a 77. Disabusing you of your fantasies is not my job, either.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've multiple Ruger Customs. Their relative undoing is weight,L/A COAL latitude and optics mounting systems.

Their Swan Song is 77/22 K-Hornets.

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
For me, I would just have difficulty spending good money on improving a rifle, then in attempt to show it off to a friend, say "Here's my custom rifle with investment cast receiver which my gunsmith reverse engineered to correct it's inherent design glitches......but it shoots almost as good as a Custom-action build...and it only costs me a few bucks more.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
You being at the mercy of your "abilities","means" and "comprehension" is a very fair sentence. Bless your heart.

You are in so far over your [bleep] head,that you'd best hope someone takes pity and starts pumping daylight to you.

Saw this rifle take (3) Bucks,in (3) pokes on the same day,minutes apart...all better than 1K. .505BC at 3225fps,250yd zero,feel free to do the math.

[Linked Image]

Looking forward to you flaunting your Imagination.

Laffin'!

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by haschbuck
For me, I would just have difficulty spending good money on improving a rifle, then in attempt to show it off to a friend, say "Here's my custom rifle with investment cast receiver which my gunsmith reverse engineered to correct it's inherent design glitches......but it shoots almost as good as a Custom-action build...and it only costs me a few bucks more.

Or you could say here is my Stainless CRF rifle with a one piece bolt, mauser extractor/ejector, open trigger design and three position safety. Its even got an integral scope mount that lets me remove and replace the scope without changing zero. Its chambered in a cartridge I like, with the amount of throat I wanted for my bullet and the stock fits my LOP.

There are only a few actions that have most of those features and each has its own set of limitations or costs. in a perfect world I would have built my ruger customs on a stainless Pre-64 or stainless mauser, but they are not so common.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

"Hired Gun" Quickest and fastest all motor sand car on the planet.
3.008 at 104.8 300' of sand.

NRA Patron Life Member, Gunsmith, Instructor, Chief RSO
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Setting the OEM .224" SAAMI spout back and punching to K-Hornet,is one of the best kept secrets in the Industry.

Oh they DAZZLE!

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Originally Posted by Boxer

Saw this rifle take (3) Bucks,in (3) pokes on the same day,minutes apart...all better than 1K. .505BC at 3225fps,250yd zero,feel free to do the math.

I can see by the pic, and in doing the math that set-up is long-range challenged..... unless your extremely lucky with hail Mary's.I am guessing the wardens are now in possession?

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You being at the mercy of your "abilities","means" and "comprehension" is a very fair sentence. Bless your heart.

You are in so far over your [bleep] head,that you'd best hope someone takes pity and starts pumping daylight to you.

[Linked Image]

Looking forward to you flaunting your Imagination.

Laffin'!

What Mickey pattern is that, 'Stick?

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

I can see by the pic, and in doing the math that set-up is long-range challenged..... unless your extremely lucky with hail Mary's.I am guessing the wardens are now in possession?

Luck

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

You poor,poor stupid [bleep]. Who dresses you in the morning and chews your food for you?!?

As mentioned prior,your stuck being you...is cruel and unusual punishment.

Laffin'!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
A5.

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks, man.

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
It seems the Whiners ran outta Pretend,to Imagine about.

I'll frost it for 'em.(grin)

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Custom rifles are all about modifications. If the foundation of the rifle is a Ruger action and the gunmaker has made numerous modifications to improve it, it is just that much more "custom".
Ruger actions present some challenges but so do others. At least, if you build your rifle on a Ruger, you won't be just like everyone else. GD

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

523 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 117LBS, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 51 invisible), 2,409 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,922
Posts18,518,836
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.