Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
The reason there are so many aftermarket parts for Model 700's is because Model 700's need them. wink

[Linked Image]

Laffin. To quote Ice Cube, check yourself before you wreck yourself.

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by greydog
I don't think the Ruger is a terrible action upon which to build a custom rifle. It requires a substantial amount of work to correct the factory polishing but the action has a couple of neat design features. One such is the angled front guard screw. Pulling the recoil lug back into the seat isn't a bad idea. I like it. Another is the bolt stop. After re-polishing, it looks pretty good and it functions very well. I wish the Ruger rings were lower but one can always modify the receiver and fit Talley bases (we are talking custom, right?)
I have one tang safety model which I re-barreled and re-shaped the stock. It's a decent sporter.
Another has been made into a single shot and modified for a rimmed cartridge. It is barreled for the 30/40 Krag cartridge and fitted with a Remington 2 oz trigger.
Although they are a pushfeed, I like the tang safety models better than the MKII. GD

Inlet one into a wood stock and get back with us on that great idea...

I have several tang-safety 77s and like them for what they are... but the angled action screw is ridiculous.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
As much as I dislike the front angled screw, I hate the 2 piece bottom metal more.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
God, that ain't no joke. Cannot see any reason for that retarded center screw. I am not sure why nobody makes a one piece aftermarket unit.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
What's the ol saying about polishing a turd? Perfume on a pig, etc... grin

RLTW
IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
The angled screw is a problem if you let it be one but it doesn't have to be.
When inletting, I inlet the action, ignoring the angled screw. Once the barreled action is to depth, I drill a 17/64 hole from the action through the bottom of the stock at the correct angle (thirty degrees from vertical). I then use a piloted cutter to cut from the bottom to proper depth. The bottom of this hole gives me the correct depth to inlet the front hinge plate.
While the use of the angled screw doesn't actually mandate the use of two piece bottom metal, the two piece metal does allow some tolerance when inletting. One piece metal would require more precise depth.
The point is this; when building a custom rifle, there should be some challenges. Otherwise, what's the point? Look at the work and effort we put into building on a Mauser, Springfield, Enfield, or even a Model 70.
If a guy is really bummed about the Ruger angled screw, he can always re-drill and put in a vertical screw. Remember, it's a custom. GD

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Even better idea for Ruger...ditch the floorplate altogether and make it a blind magazine, then ditch the angled screw, then ditch the ring system and just tap the receiver so I can use different rings.

Ruger just did schit different to be "different." None of their features offer any sort of advantage.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by greydog
The angled screw is a problem if you let it be one but it doesn't have to be.
When inletting, I inlet the action, ignoring the angled screw. Once the barreled action is to depth, I drill a 17/64 hole from the action through the bottom of the stock at the correct angle (thirty degrees from vertical). I then use a piloted cutter to cut from the bottom to proper depth. The bottom of this hole gives me the correct depth to inlet the front hinge plate.
While the use of the angled screw doesn't actually mandate the use of two piece bottom metal, the two piece metal does allow some tolerance when inletting. One piece metal would require more precise depth.
The point is this; when building a custom rifle, there should be some challenges. Otherwise, what's the point? Look at the work and effort we put into building on a Mauser, Springfield, Enfield, or even a Model 70.
If a guy is really bummed about the Ruger angled screw, he can always re-drill and put in a vertical screw. Remember, it's a custom. GD

Holy [bleep], now one needs The Karma Sutra of gunsmithing.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don't mind putting in finishing touches that look good... cannot imagine the point in wasting time to do schit that was done poorly from the factory... and even intentionally! And it is all hidden.

I can grind out an oversize inlet and glass bed the action to get things where I want them, too, but that lacks any indication of refinement like you would/should see on a custom rifle.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Gee, that "retarded" middle action screw and 2-piece bottom metal, like the ones on the pre-'64 Model 70 Winchester?

It's easy to bed the 77 angled lug with any of the kinds of epoxy bedding material used on, say, Remington 700's, Winchester Model 70's, etc.

I had Charlie Sisk build me a custom .300 Winchester Magnum on the original 77 action, because I like the tang safety and the scope-mounting system (there are other rings than Rugers available, by the way). He said the actions are no tougher to work on that 700's, and used a Lilja barrel and Bansner stock. I only tried two different bullets, the 168 TSX and 200 Partition, and it shot little bitty groups with both. All it ever killed was 6-point elk and big mule deer, but eventually one of my editors said he was tired of reading about it, so I sold it. Wish I hadn't.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
While I have two M77 mk II's and consider them a wonderful tough duty rifle and a good factory offering, I just can't warm up to them as a basis for a custom.

If you want a svelte rifle, the rem 700 gets the nod, if you want a CRF the M70 gets the nod.

It's not like you save any money starting with Ruger 77, so why compromise?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I like Rugers.

I have a quasi-custom on a Tanger.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
wow,...all this Ruger bashing makes me want to rebarrel and restock one. I like them.
The actions are hell for stout, the ring system works just fine and you'll never pull the bolt handle off. You don't use one for a lightweight without lots of modding.

"after the bullet leaves the barrel it doesn't care what headstamp was on the case"
"The 221 Fireball is what the Hornet could have been had it stayed in school"
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Yep, 2 piece bottom metal sucks. A pre-64 M70 attribute only increases the suckage factor.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have a pretty 7x57 tanger, really nice trigger, that want to rebarrel 257rbrts a little more weight-forward, have forend slimmed and new lop/pad - but haven't been able to bring myself to do it - it's a frickken ruger, gay recoil lug and chit BM. But I will someday. Childhood friend had a ruger 257rbrts, always thought it was neat rifle as a kid so it's a nostalgia thing.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Gee, that "retarded" middle action screw and 2-piece bottom metal, like the ones on the pre-'64 Model 70 Winchester?

Exactly! At least someone invented a one piece bottom metal for the M70's though.

One a side note, better hope McMillan never goes out of business. Otherwise getting a good stock for a MKII or Hawkeye is not happening. Other than being stuck with a blued action, the original M77 tang models at least have several stock options.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Am a little surprised no one offers an alum bottom 1-pc bottom metal. Would think there's enough demand for at least one small-time shop/vendor to turn a profit.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Probably because once you attach the stock to the barreled action it becomes a non-issue.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
True enough, though it's cheap-azz looking and low-tolerance pot metal that, and though I really like the rifle, the underside makes me cringe.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
And aluminum would be better? Mine is stainless.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

501 members (117LBS, 222Sako, 257 roberts, 219 Wasp, 1OntarioJim, 163bc, 46 invisible), 2,401 guests, and 1,341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,920
Posts18,518,786
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.