Home
Posted By: AML The market adjustment - 02/15/22
So I'm shopping a new mid-sized truck and I'm two days into the process. My preferred purchase is a 2022 Tacoma 4x4 off road model with the newly designed Nissan Frontier pro 4x as a very close second. First Toyota dealership has no Tacoma's and doesn't know when they will see one. I go online and see another Toyota dealer has three of the off road models. I call the dealership and said trucks no longer exist. Lady doesn't know when more will arrive. I stop by the local Nissan dealership and there are two pro 4xs out front on the lot. Sticker prices are 41,6something on each. Another added sticker announces a 3,000.00 markup for "market adjustment" on each. Now I'm pre-approved for purchase through my credit union so I walk in the building to tell whoever that I'll pay sticker but not their market adjustment. Both trucks are being written up for purchase when I get inside. Sales manager tells me their trucks last only a day or two. The capitalist in me says, if ya can get it, take it. But I'm too proud or too stingy or too old to pay over sticker for any vehicle. This might take awhile.
Posted By: BobMt Re: The market adjustment - 02/15/22

just ordered 2 new vehicles......22 f250....22 jeep grand Cherokee l.....3 to 4 months out....both under mrsp.....ford and gm are cracking down on dealers that are charging over sticker price.

bob
Posted By: scottf270 Re: The market adjustment - 02/16/22
I'm finding much the same. Looking to possibly replace my "beater" Dakota I hunt out of. I am 60 years old and never seen autos sell for sticker, let alone above it.

Whole thing kinda seems illegal. The sticker outta be the maximum price unless there is add ons. But car buying is a seedy business anyway.

I'm just gonna put a grand in the Dakota and keep going a while. I'll wait till it's bad for the dealers again. I bought my 2020 Ram Classic 4x4 crew for $29,600.00 out the door at Holzhauers in July 2020. Goes against my nature to even approach sticker.
Posted By: Troutnut Re: The market adjustment - 02/16/22
Bigger more volume dealers may be a better chance. Local Toyota dealer had 1 new Tacoma on the lot . $6k market adjustment added . Couple weeks ago i was in Mechanicsville Va, had half a dozen Tacomas on the lot no adjustment. Im with you i don't pay sticker much less over sticker price.
Posted By: kzceh Re: The market adjustment - 02/16/22
These are crazy times for buying new or used. I wonder if the manufacturers will change their thinking and slow down the supply of new vehicles just to keep prices higher??
I am not sure if the dealer is picking up all of that extra profit or if manufacturers get a cut as well.
I am with the majority of y’all. I don’t think I would ever pay sticker for a new vehicle. I may have to wait awhile before I get another new one. The last new vehicle we purchased was an Accord for my wife in 2019. Got it for $5k off sticker.
Posted By: BobMt Re: The market adjustment - 02/16/22

when I ordered the f250.....from the salesman I have bought several from...I had to show my dl when I asked why he said some dealerships were putting in fake orders to boost there inventory.

ford was cracking down and wanted proof that behind the order was an actual person.....he told me ford would email me to verify....and they did.....bob
Posted By: AML Re: The market adjustment - 02/16/22
I just had one fairly large Toyota dealer tell me they have an 8,000.00 market adjustment on their trucks. Again, I fully understand supply and demand but this boy ain't gonna play. Shopping for a GMC canyon at4 now. Still a hard find but two dealers have told me they have no plans to sell over sticker.
Posted By: Teal Re: The market adjustment - 02/16/22
Market adjustment only exists because the market pays it.

That said - supply constraints seem to be localized - I can walk on just about any lot in the area and find a new truck. Toyota, Chebby, Ford or Ram. It may not be EXACTLY what you want in color or something but I've never been picky that way.

Locally here - supplies are good.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: The market adjustment - 02/16/22
Originally Posted by scottf270
Whole thing kinda seems illegal. The sticker outta be the maximum price unless there is add ons. .

While I don't like the current trends in vehicle pricing, I can say without hesitation that I completely 100% disagree with everything you wrote there.
Posted By: Teal Re: The market adjustment - 02/16/22
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Whole thing kinda seems illegal. The sticker outta be the maximum price unless there is add ons. .

While I don't like the current trends in vehicle pricing, I can say without hesitation that I completely 100% disagree with everything you wrote there.

Same. Vehemently.
Posted By: old_boots Re: The market adjustment - 02/16/22
Not knowing where you are located try finding one on-line. I have heard of people putting a deposit over the phone, flying or bus ride out, buying it and driving it home. I'll bet the dealership would pick you up at the airport or bus station. White River Toyota in Vt. was easy to work with.

Pay over sticker, not me thanks...
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: The market adjustment - 02/17/22
Markets ebb and flow. Just wait, it won't stay this high forever.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: The market adjustment - 02/17/22
Market adjustment is BS but there's a lot of people that money is no object. There's also a lot of dumbasses that seem to like buying a new vehicle and having payments no matter what the cost.
Posted By: BobMt Re: The market adjustment - 02/17/22
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Market adjustment is BS but there's a lot of people that money is no object. There's also a lot of dumbasses that seem to like buying a new vehicle and having payments no matter what the cost.

so that makes them a dumbass.......get real.....you speak like a true demorat....you know best for other people...........bob

so that makes them a dumbass.......get real.....you speak like a true demorat....you know best for other people...........bob

I said it twice so you would get the point true grit...lol......bob
Posted By: willhunt4 Re: The market adjustment - 02/18/22
Im not cheap but there’s no way I’ll pay over msrp.
I just picked up my new f250 a couple of weeks ago.
I ordered it from a dealership in Iowa and drove it 1900 miles home.
2% under invoice.
Took two and a half months to build and get to the dealership. I’m being told it’s now 4-6 months minimum if you order one from Ford. Crazy times
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: The market adjustment - 02/18/22
Originally Posted by BobMt

Point taken. It's not the smartest move to buy a vehicle that you have to pay more than retail for.
Posted By: BobMt Re: The market adjustment - 02/18/22
Originally Posted by BobMt

Point taken. It's not the smartest move to buy a vehicle that you have to pay more than retail for.

cant argue with that.........bob
Posted By: Cheyenne Re: The market adjustment - 02/18/22
I was considering downsizing to a Tacoma. I have been watching the local dealer's inventory online and saw it gradually go from one or two Tacomas at a time to 18. I figured that inflation might be scaring people or that supply chain issues may be easing. I walked into the dealership the other day and learned that none of them were on the lot. They were in various stages of being built or scheduled to be built, and people were putting $500 deposits on them to get in line. I figure I will wait a year or two. ETA: I don't think they were marking them up.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: The market adjustment - 02/20/22
GM is admonishing dealers about crooked practices.
And threatening to pull dealership licenses in those that violate.

Either with BS add on prices, or selling to proxy buyers that
re-sell
Posted By: Dutch Re: The market adjustment - 02/20/22
Our local Ford dealer is selling at MSRP, and although that hurts my Dutch inner penny-pincher deeply..... I signed on the bottom line on the promise I could have my rig in "4 to 6 months".

I guess that's the times?
Posted By: scottf270 Re: The market adjustment - 02/20/22
I do still think there are thousands of 2021 models gonna hit the market over these next month's. These will be essentially new trucks they finished building when chips become available.

I'm seeing adds pop up from Jim Butler Chevy near St.Louis and another dealer in Ky. For new 2021 Silverados and Colorados.
Posted By: Cheyenne Re: The market adjustment - 02/20/22
I do still think there are thousands of 2021 models gonna hit the market over these next month's. These will be essentially new trucks they finished building when chips become available.

I have been anticipating the same thing. There is one thing that bothers me a little, though. It is anecdotal, but a courtesy car driver who was bringing me to the dealership to pick up my car last year mentioned that there have been a lot more warranty repairs with cars made during the pandemic. He should know after listening to people's gripes all day long.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: The market adjustment - 02/21/22
No
Originally Posted by Cheyenne

I have been anticipating the same thing. There is one thing that bothers me a little, though. It is anecdotal, but a courtesy car driver who was bringing me to the dealership to pick up my car last year mentioned that there have been a lot more warranty repairs with cars made during the pandemic. He should know after listening to people's gripes all day long.

Makes excellent sense, most everyone who's not self-employed took advantage of the China flu BS.
Posted By: Dutch Re: The market adjustment - 02/22/22
Plus all those cars parked willy-nilly for months at a time waiting for some part or another. Rodent damage, dust, moisture, you name it. Electronics don’t care for any of it.
Posted By: 79S Re: The market adjustment - 02/22/22
The local gmc dealer only dealer here in our area that is not doing the market adjustment bs. So I bought from gmc..
Posted By: tikkanut Re: The market adjustment - 02/22/22
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
I was considering downsizing to a Tacoma. I have been watching the local dealer's inventory online and saw it gradually go from one or two Tacomas at a time to 18. I figured that inflation might be scaring people or that supply chain issues may be easing. I walked into the dealership the other day and learned that none of them were on the lot. They were in various stages of being built or scheduled to be built, and people were putting $500 deposits on them to get in line. I figure I will wait a year or two. ETA: I don't think they were marking them up.

do you watch the KSL ads ?

https://cars.ksl.com/listing/7610209
Posted By: logger Re: The market adjustment - 02/22/22
To make everyone feel better about above MSRP pricing, this is from a friend in Arizona:

"We stopped by the Porsche dealer in North Scottsdale when we were up in Phoenix a few weeks ago. They said to order a new Porsche there was a 12-month waiting list and you have to pay $85,000 over sticker price. Also, Porsche has discontinued the factory delivery program. I am glad I got my Porsche buying in when it was easy, but I should have kept one of the 911s, probably the pre-turbo 2016 GTS."

I imagine the waiting list is going to get a bit longer with the loss of the Porsches on the burning RO RO ship.
Posted By: AML Re: The market adjustment - 02/23/22
Well I take delivery of a 2022 GMC Canyon AT4 tomorrow. No market adjustment. My company has a large fleet of GM and Toyota vehicles so employees get a significant supplier discount for those brands. The GM dealer honored that discount readily.
Posted By: Teal Re: The market adjustment - 02/23/22
Originally Posted by AML
Well I take delivery of a 2022 GMC Canyon AT4 tomorrow. No market adjustment. My company has a large fleet of GM and Toyota vehicles so employees get a significant supplier discount for those brands. The GM dealer honored that discount readily.

Those little trucks with the diesel are supposed to be pretty nice.

I REALLY like the looks and interior of the Silverados but the lifter issue has me walking away. Ford's pricing has me walking away. So for me it's Toyota or Ram. I prefer Toyota but twin turbo and first year has me walking away.

2022 isn't the year to buy a truck it seems.
Posted By: stantdm Re: The market adjustment - 02/25/22
Well I see that a 1964 Ferrari GTO just sold for $80 million dollars to the guy who owns WeatherTech. Sometimes supply and demand is fun to read about.
Posted By: scottf270 Re: The market adjustment - 02/26/22
Our local Ford dealer is advertising $5,000.00 rebate on F-150 and I heard something about zero finance. Don't know if you get both of not.
Posted By: ironbender Re: The market adjustment - 02/26/22
Anyone remember the crazy prices on the Mazda Miata a few years back?

Market driven.
Posted By: logger Re: The market adjustment - 02/26/22
Ironbender:

My wife is a car nut and has had a subscription to Road and Track since the early 70s. She read an early review of the Miata in 1988 (I think) and promptly went down to the McMinnvile, Oregon Mazda dealer and placed an order. The deal was at MSRP. It came in several months later and was one of the first Miata's in Oregon. The dealer actually called her and asked that she come down and retrieve her new car as so many people were wanting to buy it for thousands over MSRP. She drove it for 6 months and decided to sell it when we started to build our house on rural property. She sold it for more than she bought it for to the owner of the Ferrari dealership in Portland (Ron Tonkin).
Posted By: Scotty Re: The market adjustment - 02/27/22
Last summer I got a Chevy Colorado. No extra charge added on. They got 5 Colorado in on Friday afternoon and were all sold on Saturday.
Posted By: gene270 Re: The market adjustment - 03/02/22
i have been thru this with Harley-Davidson motorcycles...you guys with trade ins just remember they are worth more today also than ever before and represent another sale for the dealership so work on then from that end also and hopefully off set some of the new price
Posted By: BKinSD Re: The market adjustment - 03/03/22
Car ads back on TV indicate to me that this thing is trending in the consumer's direction.
Posted By: hookeye Re: The market adjustment - 03/04/22
Local dealers....GM has a handful of new. Their used lot is packed.

Dodge/ Jeep has some new, used lot was low but is about full.

Dunno what Ford dealer or Toyota dealer at, had some new last i checked and used lots less than half full.

Pricing on used at all of them was stupid high.
Pay 5k more and get new, but order and wait.

Dunno why market so messed up. Need higher than demand?

Looks like 4x4 pickups w a little biggr engine and payload are the hot tickets. Guys say sell for more than paid.

Posted By: BKinSD Re: The market adjustment - 03/04/22
One thing I know is that when my local dealers want my help on their issues, there's going to be a "market adjustment" on their bill.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: The market adjustment - 03/04/22
The good days for the dealership's should be over in the truck and SUV market. It cost me $150 to fill up my F350 yesterday afternoon. Driving a new diesel truck at these fuel prices is going to be a status symbol for a real dumbass before to long.
FJB
Posted By: Seven_Heaven Re: The market adjustment - 03/08/22
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

re-sell

They might be admonishing, but they're not preventing it.

Local GMC dealer adds $1995 "market adjustment" to every vehicle.

Weird times for sure. smile
Posted By: BobMt Re: The market adjustment - 03/08/22
Originally Posted by Seven_Heaven
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

re-sell

They might be admonishing, but they're not preventing it.

Local GMC dealer adds $1995 "market adjustment" to every vehicle.

Weird times for sure. smile

post it up....bob
Posted By: KevinLA Re: The market adjustment - 03/08/22
The good days for the dealership's should be over in the truck and SUV market. It cost me $150 to fill up my F350 yesterday afternoon. Driving a new diesel truck at these fuel prices is going to be a status symbol for a real dumbass before to long.
FJB

Ditto
© 24hourcampfire