Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
A
AML Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
So I'm shopping a new mid-sized truck and I'm two days into the process. My preferred purchase is a 2022 Tacoma 4x4 off road model with the newly designed Nissan Frontier pro 4x as a very close second. First Toyota dealership has no Tacoma's and doesn't know when they will see one. I go online and see another Toyota dealer has three of the off road models. I call the dealership and said trucks no longer exist. Lady doesn't know when more will arrive. I stop by the local Nissan dealership and there are two pro 4xs out front on the lot. Sticker prices are 41,6something on each. Another added sticker announces a 3,000.00 markup for "market adjustment" on each. Now I'm pre-approved for purchase through my credit union so I walk in the building to tell whoever that I'll pay sticker but not their market adjustment. Both trucks are being written up for purchase when I get inside. Sales manager tells me their trucks last only a day or two. The capitalist in me says, if ya can get it, take it. But I'm too proud or too stingy or too old to pay over sticker for any vehicle. This might take awhile.

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

just ordered 2 new vehicles......22 f250....22 jeep grand Cherokee l.....3 to 4 months out....both under mrsp.....ford and gm are cracking down on dealers that are charging over sticker price.

bob

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I'm finding much the same. Looking to possibly replace my "beater" Dakota I hunt out of. I am 60 years old and never seen autos sell for sticker, let alone above it.

Whole thing kinda seems illegal. The sticker outta be the maximum price unless there is add ons. But car buying is a seedy business anyway.

I'm just gonna put a grand in the Dakota and keep going a while. I'll wait till it's bad for the dealers again. I bought my 2020 Ram Classic 4x4 crew for $29,600.00 out the door at Holzhauers in July 2020. Goes against my nature to even approach sticker.

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Bigger more volume dealers may be a better chance. Local Toyota dealer had 1 new Tacoma on the lot . $6k market adjustment added . Couple weeks ago i was in Mechanicsville Va, had half a dozen Tacomas on the lot no adjustment. Im with you i don't pay sticker much less over sticker price.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
These are crazy times for buying new or used. I wonder if the manufacturers will change their thinking and slow down the supply of new vehicles just to keep prices higher??
I am not sure if the dealer is picking up all of that extra profit or if manufacturers get a cut as well.
I am with the majority of y’all. I don’t think I would ever pay sticker for a new vehicle. I may have to wait awhile before I get another new one. The last new vehicle we purchased was an Accord for my wife in 2019. Got it for $5k off sticker.

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

when I ordered the f250.....from the salesman I have bought several from...I had to show my dl when I asked why he said some dealerships were putting in fake orders to boost there inventory.

ford was cracking down and wanted proof that behind the order was an actual person.....he told me ford would email me to verify....and they did.....bob

A
AML Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
I just had one fairly large Toyota dealer tell me they have an 8,000.00 market adjustment on their trucks. Again, I fully understand supply and demand but this boy ain't gonna play. Shopping for a GMC canyon at4 now. Still a hard find but two dealers have told me they have no plans to sell over sticker.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Market adjustment only exists because the market pays it.

That said - supply constraints seem to be localized - I can walk on just about any lot in the area and find a new truck. Toyota, Chebby, Ford or Ram. It may not be EXACTLY what you want in color or something but I've never been picky that way.

Locally here - supplies are good.

Me

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by scottf270
Whole thing kinda seems illegal. The sticker outta be the maximum price unless there is add ons. .

While I don't like the current trends in vehicle pricing, I can say without hesitation that I completely 100% disagree with everything you wrote there.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Originally Posted by scottf270
Whole thing kinda seems illegal. The sticker outta be the maximum price unless there is add ons. .

While I don't like the current trends in vehicle pricing, I can say without hesitation that I completely 100% disagree with everything you wrote there.

Same. Vehemently.

Me

IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
Not knowing where you are located try finding one on-line. I have heard of people putting a deposit over the phone, flying or bus ride out, buying it and driving it home. I'll bet the dealership would pick you up at the airport or bus station. White River Toyota in Vt. was easy to work with.

Pay over sticker, not me thanks...

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Markets ebb and flow. Just wait, it won't stay this high forever.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Market adjustment is BS but there's a lot of people that money is no object. There's also a lot of dumbasses that seem to like buying a new vehicle and having payments no matter what the cost.

Life is good live it while you can.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Market adjustment is BS but there's a lot of people that money is no object. There's also a lot of dumbasses that seem to like buying a new vehicle and having payments no matter what the cost.

so that makes them a dumbass.......get real.....you speak like a true demorat....you know best for other people...........bob

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

so that makes them a dumbass.......get real.....you speak like a true demorat....you know best for other people...........bob

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

I said it twice so you would get the point true grit...lol......bob

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Im not cheap but there’s no way I’ll pay over msrp.
I just picked up my new f250 a couple of weeks ago.
I ordered it from a dealership in Iowa and drove it 1900 miles home.
2% under invoice.
Took two and a half months to build and get to the dealership. I’m being told it’s now 4-6 months minimum if you order one from Ford. Crazy times

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by BobMt

Point taken. It's not the smartest move to buy a vehicle that you have to pay more than retail for.

Life is good live it while you can.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by BobMt

Point taken. It's not the smartest move to buy a vehicle that you have to pay more than retail for.

cant argue with that.........bob

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was considering downsizing to a Tacoma. I have been watching the local dealer's inventory online and saw it gradually go from one or two Tacomas at a time to 18. I figured that inflation might be scaring people or that supply chain issues may be easing. I walked into the dealership the other day and learned that none of them were on the lot. They were in various stages of being built or scheduled to be built, and people were putting $500 deposits on them to get in line. I figure I will wait a year or two. ETA: I don't think they were marking them up.

Last edited by Cheyenne; 02/18/22. Reason: add stuff

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

618 members (007FJ, 163bc, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 10gaugeman, 70 invisible), 2,604 guests, and 1,335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,716
Posts18,475,647
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.