Home
I've never carried any kind of rest with me, sling notwithstanding. Getting caught in a field with tall grass and a good target 250-300+ yds off has me considering having one with me. No question it's easier to get steady off a rest. How many carry sticks, Bog Pod, primos trigger stick, etc. What do you use? Not sure I like the idea of carrying something as I usually prefer to have my rifle in my hands vice slung. I have played with the Primos trigger bipod sticks and like them. Could just build some to the correct height. Looking for ideas or thoughts on the subject.
sticks here. and not those heavy, bulky factory jobbers....
I carry a set of the small diameter, fold-up sticks. Think they're made by Stoney Point if memory serves me correctly.
In the timber, no. Out in big sky country, for sure. In our ground squrrel fields, I could not get by without them.
I use Bog Pod and the Primos Trigger stick...the Bog Pod is better made but the Trigger Stick is much more user friendly and easier to carry. I'll sell my Bog Pod now if anyone is interested.
i always hunt timber (or with a bow), so no sticks, etc. for me. if i get the time i always kneel down and lean against a tree if at all possible though. if i hunted in or around large, open parks, i'd have some form of sticks, etc.
Originally Posted by Godogs57
I use Bog Pod and the Primos Trigger stick...the Bog Pod is better made but the Trigger Stick is much more user friendly and easier to carry. I'll sell my Bog Pod now if anyone is interested.

sent you a pm
I just used the cheaper model SW sells to take a really nice mule deer buck from 430 yards in huge sage bowl. Also used them for elk in the open sage draws. Don't use them in timbered areas as there are usually plenty on rests available.
I have used a set of Stoney Point Polecats ever since returning from my first hunt in Namibia in 2006. They are light, but steady, and I use them as a walking stick in the mountains. I have taken elk, pronghorns, one mule deer and two whitetails with them, either sitting or standing. You need to practice with them to get comfortable, but their use quickly becomes second nature.
"DoAll" for stand hunting.
Originally Posted by 1minute
In the timber, no. Out in big sky country, for sure. In our ground squrrel fields, I could not get by without them.

what he said!
I always carry sticks with me and really like them. When elk hunting I use the lightweight flimsy folding kind like an elastic tent pole, but I broke those this year in the cold shooting a muley buck so since then I've been carrying a set of bog pod sticks, which worked for a couple of deer and an antelope. They're not as handy but very solid and not too much trouble. I'm going to fix the folders for next elk season - easy to carry in my left hand loose or along the fore end of my rifle, or folded up and stowed in my pack. I like to shoot kneeling or sitting and they help a lot to get a solid rest in the field, especially in sage or grassland but even in open timber they can be very useful if you get a sudden opportunity a little way out and can't move to a tree in time to shoot. I think they are minimal annoyance while on patrol and lots of help when the time comes.
I really like them in the tall grass.
Not so much when I am at higher altitudes and steeper terrain.
I take'em with me every time I hunt. I happen to use the Snipepod, but just about any form of pod or stix will help in the right situation. Like any piece of equipment, whether it be rifle, binos, etc... practice with your shooting aid to learn how to use it and it will pay dividends.
90% of my hunting is still hunting the timber. I just use a sling for those shots. Standing, or sitting.

For a longer shot i'll sit down and use the Stoney Point sticks. They come in a pouch that I put on my belt. I don't even know they're there until I need them.
Homeade sticks. See Varmint Al's website. I carry them on my pack. Big fan.
Predator sniper styx
Used my Stoney Point sticks to take my WY elk this year at approx 200 yds. Last year in WY at 439 yds. At longer ranges it really helps if you are able to get your back up against something..
John
The best one and at the best price was a 1" maple sapling cut to the proper length/height with a "Y" in it. Took the bark off of it and sealed it. What made it even better is that it had been used as a rub and I shot a nice eight point with it the day after I cut it. That was about five years ago and I still use it.
I found my pole cats just a smidge too short for using on one knee or sitting.
Whatever is close at hand. I have never found a shooting bench were I hunt but??
Started carrying Stoney Points back in the 2002-2003 time frame. Sticks have gone on every hunt since. They don�t always get used but they have sure come in handy at times. Here�s a few pics for the visually oriented:.

2003, .45-70 and Stony Point sticks, 213 lasered yards. The sticks got me above the sage and I got this raghorn 6x6.
[Linked Image]

The next day, same set-up, 197 lasered yards. I�ve never seen an animal leak like that one did.
[Linked Image]

2006, .300 WM and borrowed sticks (the Stoney Points were with me but the borrowed sticks were faster), 280 yards:
[Linked Image]

2007, .30-06 and Stoney Point sticks, ~125 yards:
[Linked Image]

Then a couple years ago I started carrying a Bog Pod set of extendable sticks with the trigger release/adjustment. These have been great. Even though the instructions say not to use them as walking sticks, I find they do pretty well in that department.

2010 antelope, 6.5-06AI, Bog Pod:
[Linked Image]

2010 antelope, .257 Roberts and Bog Pod:
[Linked Image]

2010 elk hunt, .30-06 and Bog Pod:
[img]http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/IMG_11412.JPG[/img]

2011 elk hunt, .338 WM and Bog Pod:
[img]http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/IMG_13563.JPG[/img]

2011 elk hunt, .338 WM and Bog Pod, 265 yards. Once again the sticks were very helpful in getting me above the sage.
[img]http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/IMG_13595.JPG[/img]

is it a bog pod or a primos trigger stick deal?
I use these BIPOD Sticks , they are a three section (ea leg) and fairly compack so they always go with me in the pack. If I don't want the full height I just don't use the all of the legs, also height is adjusted by how far you spread the legs.

I carried the fold up for qite few years,never used them.This year I was carrying the bipod nonfolding,telsecoping legs type. Forgot and left them on a rock in unit 54.I have the harris Bipod on my pronghorn rifle .

In all the miles carried,I have never used the sticks. Guess I will go without a few more years now. Most of my elk hunting is done close in.
Used my Stoney Point tripod sticks on a mule deer and whitetail hunt in Nebraska two weeks ago. They work great, especially in wind, to really calm down the crosshairs and make for an accurate shot.

My favorite shooting position with these sticks is sitting. I extend the lower legs out 6 inches or so, and leave them there. Any other quick adjustment for height is made with the moveable third leg.

This tripod works great in taller grass situations where most bipods, like the Harris, are challenged. Besides, I have decided I really don't like the extra weight and bulk of the Harris hanging on my rifles.
Originally Posted by mudhen
I have used a set of Stoney Point Polecats ever since returning from my first hunt in Namibia in 2006. They are light, but steady, and I use them as a walking stick in the mountains. I have taken elk, pronghorns, one mule deer and two whitetails with them, either sitting or standing. You need to practice with them to get comfortable, but their use quickly becomes second nature.

=1, well said, and spot on mudhen.

Gunner
I've carried Stony Point stix for years but I have yet to need them. I always manage to find a rest that's faster to use. They do work very well when needed, though. I've done quite a bit of shooting with them and they work.
Stoney Point Steady Sticks II while stalking & LevelLoks in the blind.
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I carried the fold up for qite few years,never used them.This year I was carrying the bipod nonfolding,telsecoping legs type. Forgot and left them on a rock in unit 54.

It's comforting to me that I'm not the only one who does dumb sh*t like that. I leaned a nice set of homemade fiberglass ones against the side of my Bronco one time, then drove off...
I still need to make some shooting sticks; but for now I just use a front sandbag for prone. The bag works when shooting off a fence too.
Otherwise I use whatever shooting position or tree, rock, whatever is handy to get stable as possible in the time possible.
Brownell Latigo.Has worked for me to over 300 yards.

If I want a stick, I cut it at stand site from available forest litter.

I hate carrying extra stuff in the field. cry
+1 on Bipod Shooting Sticks. They work great and are light weight and easy to carry. For hiking/stalking, I also like the Bog Pod monopod as it doubles as a walking stick and rest.
no one said truck hood?
Originally Posted by tedthorn
no one said truck hood?

Redneck hunting?
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
no one said truck hood?

Redneck hunting?

I just got back from Colorado and have never seen so many road shooters.....I thought redneck was a southern thing.
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
no one said truck hood?

Redneck hunting?

I just got back from Colorado and have never seen so many road shooters.....I thought redneck was a southern thing.

We have a lot of non resident hunters. smile
They must have rented trucks there....gotcha
Just messing around. I'm sure a lot of locals do it here. I call them weeekend warriors. smile

Which is why I don't hunt anywhere near roads. wink
.....I thought redneck was a southern thing.

While it may have originated there it certainly is not exclusive. All it takes to be a Redneck is to consume mass quantities of "beer's" until your speech, mentality & actions match the i.q. of a retard.
Stoney Point snap-on bipod (rapid pivot polecat sling swivel mount), the sitting/kneeling length (25 - 43 inches), strapped to the outside of the pack. If I'm on a short stalk, i drop pack, grab the pod, snap it on, then I'm good for a sit or kneel with no adjustment. The legs are rubber mounted so you can make them wider or narrower as needed to adjust height. They have the lightness and flexibility of sticks, but are easier for me to handle because they attach to the rifle and don't slip forward or back when you're in a hurry. The only drawback for me is that you need to have the mount installed on multiple rifles as they are a bit of a hassle to remove and install. The spare mounts are about $15.

I also use a latigo sling which is faster then messing with the bipod/sticks.

I've tried traditional a bipod and didn't like it as well, made the rifle carry, very muzzle heavy.
Originally Posted by huntsman22
is it a bog pod or a primos trigger stick deal?

Good question... Its a trigger thing. Right now it is in the trailer in the barn or I'd take a look.

Color me somewhat embarrassed... blush
Last year I used a Bog pod tripod with their gun cradle. This year was Stoney Point Bipod. Given the choice I prefer sitting, and the Bog pod with the gun cradle vs. Standing with the bipod.
MODEL 25 BIPOD 12"-25" HINGED
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=00053S25

If I think Ill be watching a canyon or glassing Ive used a harris bi-pod similar this bi-pod and a sling for decades on my 340wby and sako 375 H&H
it folds up and provides good support when making a sitting shot, and its a quick attach accessory if you choose to put it away in a backpack,
but if Im hunting the timber I generally use my 35 whelen rem, slide action, or SAKO 375 H&H carbine with only a sling, shots in timber generally are either very close range shot off hand or allow you to use a tree branch/trunk for support to steady the shot.
Id say 90% of the elk I see shot are at under 250 yards in either case and in timber probably under 120 yards max with several at much closer , almost archery ranges
I've never had the tall grass problem that I understand is common in africa.
I've always used either a military, CW or a Ching Sling as a shooting aid. If I need more, I use my day pack. E
I have a Harris bipod that I carry on my pack. However I can only remember two elk killed using the bipod attached. Most have been killed laying down using my pack or a ground feature as a rest. I do sometimes use a very "loose" sling to provide a slight amount of tension on my left elbow.
About as many ideas on the subject as there are hunters it would seem. Think I am going to try to come up with something that is light and serves as a walking stick and then a rest for the occasion where there is nothing else handy and kneeling or prone is not suitable (weeds, grass, terrain, etc). I have a Harris, but it's short and I can just use my pack anywhere I can use the Harris. Definitely not going to attach anything to the rifle. Just don't want to. I would like the solution to be that I improve my offhand to the point where I can shoot comfortably out a few hundred yds. Reality is I'm not there right now.
Modified Bi-Fur Pod that is mostly used for predator hunting, but it works for anytime one would want light hiking stick(s), a staff, bi-pod, gun rest, etc.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...55329/Re_Modified_Bi_Fur_Pod#Post4055329

My latest version of Varmint Al�s �Bi-Fur Pod�. I put a bit more thought into this one and it has turned out to be my best to date.
[Linked Image]

Deployed as Bi-Pod. The unit is quickly and easily deployed as a bi-pod.
[Linked Image]

Folded Hiking Position This shows the unit folded and locked down into the short hiking position. It is very solid as if one piece.
[Linked Image]

Threaded Foot Inserts Instead of using nails. I decided to install brass inserts to install threaded feet.
[Linked Image]

Open Full Length Staff. This shows the Modified Bi-Fur Pod in the open full length hiking staff mode.
[Linked Image]

Upper Hand Loop. The strap stud and Great Northern rubber strap quickly converts to a hand loop when used as a staff.
[Linked Image]

Longer rod mounts for Foxpro and Mojo. The Great Northern Quiver Straps I used doubles to securely carry longer length mounting rods for my Foxpro and Mojo.
[img]http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4061/4569347078_eea209fa3b.jpg[/img]

Swivel Mount Studs. I installed swivel studs which allows me to use either cordage or a standard sling from rifle for quick carry options.
[img]http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4018/4568702699_70a566f747.jpg[/img]

Bushings, Swivel Studs, and Strap Studs. The design allows me to quickly convert the unit into two individual hiking staffs to use when packing out from the hills. I can even thread extensions into the bottom threaded inserts to lengthen the poles for going downhill.
[img]http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3355/4569333830_151e957b8a.jpg[/img]

This homemade Bi-Fur Pod has proven to be an outstanding multi-use tool having more value to me than any of the store bought versions I've used.
[img]http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4090/5060328519_980825bcdf.jpg[/img]

Best smile
+1 for the Snipe Pod. Light, easy on/easy off, adjustable. I put the adapters on several diferent rifles and carry the sicks as needed.
Gary, what does it weigh?

I don't bother with shooting sticks or bipod when hunting elk. The shots are usually not that long and there's always a tree or rock or some kind of rest available to steady my rifle.

I usually carry a set of shooting sticks when hunting antelope and ocasionally I actually use them. More often though I shoot in the prone position using my backpack as a rest and wrapping the sling around my arm. However, this year where I hunted antelope there was lots of tall grass and the shots were longer than I prefer. The guys that were hunting with me all had bipods on their rifles and I was at a significant disadvantage. After that hunt I decided that I need a dedicated antelope rifle, smaller caliber than my 30-06 and with a bipod. I think Santa has gotten the message.

KC

I've heard it said, by some famous dead guy, that while
hunting , you should spend half of your time looking for game,
and the other half looking for something to rest your rifle on.

Rabbitdog
no one said truck hood?

or pickup window sill. One our famous locals staged a photo with showing him in the woods sitting on a stump aiming through a pickup door they had packed out into the woods. It was titled something "Redneck Deer Blind."
I don't use sticks when hunting Elk but DO use them when hunting Antelope, Caribou and Mule Deer (open country). I've made a few sets but the Stoney Point models are tough to beat. I don't care for any gun-mounted bipods, etc...
Originally Posted by pal
Gary, what does it weigh?

It weighs 15-oz made from a strong hardwood with a sealed coat of Acraglas. There is room to reduce weight further by using a lighter wood and forgoing the bushings and inserts. In comparison, my aluminum Stoney Point monopod shooting stick weighs 12-oz, and my favorite homemade 6' "scout" staff made from spruce weighs 1-lb 13-oz.

When I predator hunt solo, the rifle sits on the sticks ready to shoot while I work the calls and hand light. It's a very important piece of gear for me in that context. Outside of this, I always find a need for some sort of staff, walking stick, or hiking staffs. In this later context, I've found it works well to cover those needs while also doubling duty to work well as a rifle holder, bi-pod, and shooting stick. Even if I only use it as a walking aid, it has helped me to ford troublesome creeks while being easy to have on hand.

Best smile
I use a Primos Trigger stick when hunting. I like to use it as a walking stick when getting in the steep stuff. The trigger stick is really handy as it can be adjusted quickly if you bust something out of the brush.
In heavy wooded areas no, But in any kind of open area YES, Stoney Point for me. when i am Elk hunting out west, i wouldn't be without a set.

Kevin
Gary--Thanks. 15-oz isn't too bad. Dry, straight-grained spruce might be a good material for one. And instead of metal bushings, to save weight, the bored holes could be either sleeved w/ thin-wall fiberglass tubing or just treated w/ penetrating epoxy, to keep them from loosening up prematurely.
No different than how scouts make a traditional walking staff, there are a bazillion ways to go about it to best fit personal needs. I'm a big fan of crafting my own gear and I'm a big fan of simple gear that is useful when multi-tasking.

If I had input at inventing a factory made aluminum or carbon unit to meet my needs:

I'd want the sections to go together to make a 1-pc full length hiking staff that is strong. I'd want the sections to break down to make two individual hiking sticks or a short hiking staff that are strong. I'd want these two pieces to couple to make a shooting bi-pod for sitting or kneeling, and I'd want it to further break down to make a shorter three legged base to use as a tri-pod for an UL spotter. I've yet to see a factory product designed to cover this much ground. My homemade rig covers all this ground except for the tri-pod.

Best smile
Adding a length of lightweight channel could provide a 3rd leg, like the Polecats. Maybe could double as a tripod for spotter or camera.
I am a fan of the Stoney Point tripods.
© 24hourcampfire