-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Started carrying Stoney Points back in the 2002-2003 time frame. Sticks have gone on every hunt since. They don�t always get used but they have sure come in handy at times. Here�s a few pics for the visually oriented:.

2003, .45-70 and Stony Point sticks, 213 lasered yards. The sticks got me above the sage and I got this raghorn 6x6.
[Linked Image]

The next day, same set-up, 197 lasered yards. I�ve never seen an animal leak like that one did.
[Linked Image]

2006, .300 WM and borrowed sticks (the Stoney Points were with me but the borrowed sticks were faster), 280 yards:
[Linked Image]

2007, .30-06 and Stoney Point sticks, ~125 yards:
[Linked Image]

Then a couple years ago I started carrying a Bog Pod set of extendable sticks with the trigger release/adjustment. These have been great. Even though the instructions say not to use them as walking sticks, I find they do pretty well in that department.

2010 antelope, 6.5-06AI, Bog Pod:
[Linked Image]

2010 antelope, .257 Roberts and Bog Pod:
[Linked Image]

2010 elk hunt, .30-06 and Bog Pod:
[img]http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/IMG_11412.JPG[/img]

2011 elk hunt, .338 WM and Bog Pod:
[img]http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/IMG_13563.JPG[/img]

2011 elk hunt, .338 WM and Bog Pod, 265 yards. Once again the sticks were very helpful in getting me above the sage.
[img]http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/IMG_13595.JPG[/img]

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
is it a bog pod or a primos trigger stick deal?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I use these BIPOD Sticks , they are a three section (ea leg) and fairly compack so they always go with me in the pack. If I don't want the full height I just don't use the all of the legs, also height is adjusted by how far you spread the legs.

"...buzzards gota eat same as worms" Josey Wales
NRA lifer
Hunting is Conservation
RMEF Member
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I carried the fold up for qite few years,never used them.This year I was carrying the bipod nonfolding,telsecoping legs type. Forgot and left them on a rock in unit 54.I have the harris Bipod on my pronghorn rifle .

In all the miles carried,I have never used the sticks. Guess I will go without a few more years now. Most of my elk hunting is done close in.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Used my Stoney Point tripod sticks on a mule deer and whitetail hunt in Nebraska two weeks ago. They work great, especially in wind, to really calm down the crosshairs and make for an accurate shot.

My favorite shooting position with these sticks is sitting. I extend the lower legs out 6 inches or so, and leave them there. Any other quick adjustment for height is made with the moveable third leg.

This tripod works great in taller grass situations where most bipods, like the Harris, are challenged. Besides, I have decided I really don't like the extra weight and bulk of the Harris hanging on my rifles.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by mudhen
I have used a set of Stoney Point Polecats ever since returning from my first hunt in Namibia in 2006. They are light, but steady, and I use them as a walking stick in the mountains. I have taken elk, pronghorns, one mule deer and two whitetails with them, either sitting or standing. You need to practice with them to get comfortable, but their use quickly becomes second nature.

=1, well said, and spot on mudhen.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've carried Stony Point stix for years but I have yet to need them. I always manage to find a rest that's faster to use. They do work very well when needed, though. I've done quite a bit of shooting with them and they work.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Stoney Point Steady Sticks II while stalking & LevelLoks in the blind.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I carried the fold up for qite few years,never used them.This year I was carrying the bipod nonfolding,telsecoping legs type. Forgot and left them on a rock in unit 54.

It's comforting to me that I'm not the only one who does dumb sh*t like that. I leaned a nice set of homemade fiberglass ones against the side of my Bronco one time, then drove off...

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy...
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I still need to make some shooting sticks; but for now I just use a front sandbag for prone. The bag works when shooting off a fence too.
Otherwise I use whatever shooting position or tree, rock, whatever is handy to get stable as possible in the time possible.

If I'm wrong, I'll admit it. If I don't reply further, I'm satisfied with my side of the "debate."
[Linked Image]
...nuff said.
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Brownell Latigo.Has worked for me to over 300 yards.

If I want a stick, I cut it at stand site from available forest litter.

I hate carrying extra stuff in the field. cry

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
+1 on Bipod Shooting Sticks. They work great and are light weight and easy to carry. For hiking/stalking, I also like the Bog Pod monopod as it doubles as a walking stick and rest.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
no one said truck hood?

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by tedthorn
no one said truck hood?

Redneck hunting?

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
no one said truck hood?

Redneck hunting?

I just got back from Colorado and have never seen so many road shooters.....I thought redneck was a southern thing.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
no one said truck hood?

Redneck hunting?

I just got back from Colorado and have never seen so many road shooters.....I thought redneck was a southern thing.

We have a lot of non resident hunters. smile

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They must have rented trucks there....gotcha

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Just messing around. I'm sure a lot of locals do it here. I call them weeekend warriors. smile

Which is why I don't hunt anywhere near roads. wink

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
.....I thought redneck was a southern thing.

While it may have originated there it certainly is not exclusive. All it takes to be a Redneck is to consume mass quantities of "beer's" until your speech, mentality & actions match the i.q. of a retard.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Stoney Point snap-on bipod (rapid pivot polecat sling swivel mount), the sitting/kneeling length (25 - 43 inches), strapped to the outside of the pack. If I'm on a short stalk, i drop pack, grab the pod, snap it on, then I'm good for a sit or kneel with no adjustment. The legs are rubber mounted so you can make them wider or narrower as needed to adjust height. They have the lightness and flexibility of sticks, but are easier for me to handle because they attach to the rifle and don't slip forward or back when you're in a hurry. The only drawback for me is that you need to have the mount installed on multiple rifles as they are a bit of a hassle to remove and install. The spare mounts are about $15.

I also use a latigo sling which is faster then messing with the bipod/sticks.

I've tried traditional a bipod and didn't like it as well, made the rifle carry, very muzzle heavy.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (Akhutr, 35, anothergun, 10gaugemag, 16 invisible), 1,586 guests, and 773 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,651
Posts18,512,642
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.