Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
GaryVA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
My latest version of Varmint Al�s �Bi-Fur Pod�. I put a bit more thought into this one and it has turned out to be my best to date.

It�s too late at this point to make this a build along as I didn�t take pictures during construction. I thought, however, that I�d show the basics to this version which may give others some ideas.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gary2va/4568715747/

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
GB1

GaryVA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I used hardwood doweling that I shaped and tapered following Varmint Al�s guidelines for leg length to user height. I installed fitted bushings at the pivot point with nylon washers and a thumb screw for smooth and easy adjustments. I added swivel studs in lieu of Al�s spoon clip, and I added studs for using rubber straps made for mounting tackle to stick bows. All fittings were installed with Acraglas which was also used to seal the wood.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gary2va/4569333830/

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
GaryVA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I installed swivel studs which allows me to use either cordage or a standard sling from my rife to quickly add a carry strap if needed. I can also quickly clip to my belt using a sling swivel.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gary2va/4568702699/

- Clint Eastwood
GaryVA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
This shows the handle and strap mounting when closed in the folded hiking position. I shaped the handle to my liking and used Barge Cement to mount a fitted leather handle. The mounted strap stud allows me to quickly and easily fix the strap into a solid holding position, or to remove the strap to open the bi-pod.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gary2va/4569313442/

- Clint Eastwood
GaryVA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
This shows the unit folded and locked down into the short hiking position. It is very solid as if one piece.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gary2va/4569305942/

- Clint Eastwood
IC B2

GaryVA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Instead of using nails, I decided to install brass inserts used for carbon arrows. These brass inserts allow me to thread in various feet for proper footing. I have rubber feet, spikes, and my favorites which are the small game �Hammer Heads� shown in the picture. These grab and hold firm on most surfaces I encounter.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gary2va/4568682835/

- Clint Eastwood
GaryVA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The unit is quickly and easily deployed as a bi-pod. Having the fitted bushings, nylon washers, and thumb screw, makes adjustments smooth and rock solid.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gary2va/4569327222/

- Clint Eastwood
GaryVA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The unit easily opens up into a full length walking staff and is held solid with the pivot thumb screw and the rubber strap pulled around the strap stud. The joint is solid as if the unit is one piece.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gary2va/4568654415/

- Clint Eastwood
GaryVA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
This shows the Modified Bi-Fur Pod in the open full length hiking staff position. It is very solid and makes for an excellent staff. In addition, when taking off-hand shots from the upright position, place the lower foot against your strong side instep, lay the center joint against the inside of your weak side knee, and include the upper portion of the staff with your grasp of the rifle forend, This make a long off hand shot on a deer sized target a cake walk. On smaller critters the size of yotes and fox, this makes the shot far easier than without. I tend to open the unit into this position just prior to standing up after ending my stay at a stand. At times I�ll see a critter in the distance when I stand up and I need to make a quick off-hand shot.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gary2va/4568647745/

- Clint Eastwood
GaryVA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The strap stud and Great Northern rubber strap quickly converts to a hand loop for when using the unit as an open full length walking staff. It works perfectly either left or right handed.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gary2va/4568661539/

- Clint Eastwood
IC B3

GaryVA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The Great Northern Quiver Straps I used doubles to securely carry longer length rod mounts to elevate my FoxPro caller or my Mojo decoy if needed when predator hunting in taller vegetation.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gary2va/4569347078/

- Clint Eastwood
GaryVA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I wish I'd took the time to do this as a build along, but if anything, hope someone can get some ideas.

Best

- Clint Eastwood
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Yes, I'd love it if I could figure out a bit more about what you did, as this looks like the handiest device I've seen in a long time.

GaryVA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'll pull together the specs and exact pieces/parts used and post it on the thread.

I'll add to the previous described multi-functions:

You can separate the two halves and use the pair as hiking sticks with one in each hand. You can also leave the sling attached when openned into the full length staff. With the sling oriented to the top of the staff, you can use this as a hasty sling to hold your forearm tight against the staff when shooting off-hand. This greatly increases stability when you include the top of the staff with your grip of the rifle forend. In additon, this allows you to release your grip of the upper staff if you need to manipulate something with your weak side hand without the staff falling away.

I'll add the specs later today.

Best:)

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great job - I'm waiting for the specs. Very well thought out.

Regards,

Tom
GaryVA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The Basis for the Bi-Fur Pod comes from Varmint Al:

http://varmintal.com/abifu.htm

I've made a few using his recommended dimensions for user height and found this to work well for me at my size. I'm 5'10" so I use a standard 36" leg length. I also use a 3/4" square stock of strong wood and I use his standard pivot bolt measurement of 5 1/4" from the top end. Where I differ, I have no use for a spoon as a belt clip, I do not like nails for feet, I dislike slop in the pivot, and I do not like using a spring loaded bullet catch.

For a pivot, I used one (1/4-20 x 2" Thumb Screw) through two (1/4 x 3/8 x 3/4 Steel Spacers) which are epoxied into each leg. I placed two (1/4" Nylon Flat Washers) sandwiched by two (1/4" Steel Flat Washers) outside the legs on each end of the Thumb Screw. On the male end of the Thumb Screw I used a (1/4-20 Wing Nut). I hand blued all the steel parts with Brownell's Formula 44/40 Instant Gun Blue, and I used Acraglas to epoxy the Steel Spacers.

Instead of the Bullet Catch, I decided to use standard rubber straps designed to mount hardware to stickbows. I have a bunch that came from Great Northern Bow Company, but these can be found at numerous Archery Supply locations such as 3River, etc. I used two (8-32 x 2 Round Slot Brass Machine Screws) for the studs. I drilled all the way through the leg and countersunk the back side for the screw head so the stud would hold strong and not pull out. I spaced one stud 9 1/2" from the top and one stud 9 1/2" from the bottom of the same leg. For me, I personally preferred mounting the studs on the forward facing leg with the studs pointing into the direction I walk. I epoxied these into place with Acraglas. I then trimmed the length of the studs to hold three thicknesses of the strap. This allows to hold the strap into place in the first hole, and allows enough room to take two wraps, with each wrap going over the stud.

I used standard screw-in sling swivel studs that I spaced 7 3/8" from the top and 7 3/8" from the bottom on the rear leg to the right side. I epoxied these into place with Acraglas.

For the feet, I epoxied into place two 100grain brass arrow inserts used for carbon hunting arrows. These are things I have laying around and I'd imagine any such insert that accepts a standard screw-in arrow point would serve the same purpose. For the feet, I used my prefered small game head which is a "Hammer" that I purchase through 3River. Again, I have these laying around.

As to the shape of the legs, I kept them flat and squared up on the faces where they join. I then strapped them together firmly and tapered and rounded the two ends to my pleasing. I shaped the handle end for when they are folded up to comfortably fit my hand. I then rounded off the hard outside edges of the remainder of the legs. In the end, both individual legs fit smoothly and evenly together as if a single unit.

I sealed the shaped legs with several thin coats of Acraglas. I then used various cans of mixed drab colors to break up the shaft outline. Over this I used a couple coats of spray poly clear which I dulled flat with 000.

For the handle, I used a couple spare pieces of glove weight split cowhide I had laying around. I pre-trimmed the top end of the leather pieces to properly fold over the top of the handles and I pre-trimmed the leather for length, but I left the remainder oversized to be trimmed by scissors after being glued into place. I then used Barge Cement to glue the leather into place with rough side out. After the cement set, I used detail scissors to trim off the overhang to give it a flush fit. I then coated the leather with some Montana Pitch which will help it hold up to use outside.

I am right handed and when I deploy the hiking stick into a Bi-Pod, I point the strap studs and wing nut away from me with the swivel studs pointing to my right. The feet of the forward leg with the strap studs swings to the left, and the feet of the rear leg with the swivel studs swings to the right. For me, this makes for excellent management and control of the Bi-Pod whether you fully grasp the Bi-Pod pivot and shoot free recoil, or whether you grasp the rifle forend and hook the Bi-Pod upper-V with your index finger.

I'd suggest anyone who attempts to make one of these gizmos to think it out thouroughly and to play around with the dimensions to find what fits best.

Hope this helps,

Later

- Clint Eastwood
GaryVA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Testing a design to convert the Bi-Fur Pod into a field cleaning stand. I used a few feet of leftover treated 2x4 with decking screws.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gary2va/4584695337/

- Clint Eastwood
GaryVA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Used a sewn strip of sheep hide with wool that slips over Bi-Fur Pod handles to make padded gun cradle. Cut a slot and used brackets that attached to the pivot thumb screw to align and hold the Bi-Fur Pod into position as legs for the cleaning stand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gary2va/4584689921/

- Clint Eastwood
GaryVA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The rig is designed to hold the rifle with or without scope, and to hold the gun with the chamber oriented up or the chamber oriented down. Easy straight access with cleaning rod down into the chamber from a standing position.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gary2va/4584683517/

- Clint Eastwood
GaryVA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I could probably rig the design using the same 3/4" hardwood square doweling as the Bi-Fur Pod to save weight and space. But, I intend to either leave this stand at the cabin or in the truck for when I need to clean the rifle afield, so it's okay that I used 2x4s.

Just thought I'd share a few more ideas on the uses of a Bi-Fur Pod.

Best:)

- Clint Eastwood
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (anothergun, 10gaugemag, BallisticBRYAN, 15 invisible), 1,554 guests, and 732 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,650
Posts18,512,641
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.