Home
Posted By: hunting1 Off Road Pop-Up campers? - 08/19/13
I have and use wall tents so I understand their merits but am thinking of buying a Off Road pop up. Who has one and what are your thoughts? Any regrets, etc?

Thanks,
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: Off Road Pop-Up campers? - 08/19/13
fwiw, my cousin has a "homemade" one that seems to go wherever his CJ 5 jeep goes. It's a regular popup, he just re-arched the springs (higher) and then put the springs over the axle and went to taller, heavier ply 14" tires (from the original, narrow, 12" tires). He did some minor under frame strengthening with angle iron, mounted a foldup type basket on the back, a small bracket attachment on the front tongue for a small generator and off he goes. It works very well.
Posted By: TomA Re: Off Road Pop-Up campers? - 08/19/13
I had a 14 ft pop-up that opened up and slide outs on each end making it very quite comfortable. Perfect for a good nights sleep and staying dry. Used it for 4 or 5 seasons in Colorado. It required regular minor fixes but was hands above a tent. Easy to heat up using the 4 burner stove and 12v fan. Quick and easy to change camp locations and easy to haul. Put the highest rated ply tires on it you can buy and take care of the bearings/springs and undersides and it will last for years. Tom
I have one, built here in Oregon by a company called Chalet RV. Its the Alpine model with the off-road package and the front storage box. I think it only weighs about 1800lbs and is easy to tow. We bought it used about 4 years ago and so far its been really nice. It does not have a toilet which is about the only issue but no big deal if out hunting. It does have a small fridge and sink and 2-burner stove and decent storage for how small it is. Here is a pic a few years ago in Wyoming on an antelope hunt and it worked great. Here is a pics in the driveway, fyi it folds down flat when towing like any tent trailer.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: N2MyWake Re: Off Road Pop-Up campers? - 08/19/13
I looked a few years ago. I like the looks of the rugged fleetwood models with the basket on the front.

http://www.southbayriders.com/forums/attachments/73980/
After looking at several the Fleetwood would be my pick, seemed to be well built and have reasonable offroad clearance.

But are they still in business? Seems a few years back I heard they went under.
Posted By: hunting1 Re: Off Road Pop-Up campers? - 08/19/13
http://www.palominorv.com/banshee/

This is what I am looking at. I looked at the Chalet A-frames as well and the Evolution which was Coleman. The Jayco's are nice but they are really proud of them. I am just trying to cut down set up and gear as well add a bit more comfort. It will not replace wall tents just supplement them. Good reports, anyone else?
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Off Road Pop-Up campers? - 08/19/13
Those aren't campers, those are trailers.

This may be a little tricky for some, but campers sit in the back of pickups, trailers are towed behind.

Try this for pop-up CAMPERS: http://www.allterraincampers.com/ There's a Toyota down the street with a "bobcat" model which looks pretty interesting from the outside. I'm not sure 'bout the inside.

Tom
Posted By: TJAY Re: Off Road Pop-Up campers? - 08/20/13
Saw one of these last fall and thought it looked interesting.
http://www.jayco.com/products/camping-trailers/baja/standards-options
Posted By: hunting1 Re: Off Road Pop-Up campers? - 08/20/13
Originally Posted by TJAY
Saw one of these last fall and thought it looked interesting.
http://www.jayco.com/products/camping-trailers/baja/standards-options

The Jayco's are nice as well but they want 18k for them.

Originally Posted by T_O_M

This may be a little tricky for some, but campers sit in the back of pickups, trailers are towed behind.

Try this for pop-up CAMPERS: http://www.allterraincampers.com/ There's a Toyota down the street with a "bobcat" model which looks pretty interesting from the outside. I'm not sure 'bout the inside.

Tom

It is a tent trailer if we want to be precise, but I have a 1/2 ton so no slide in.
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: Off Road Pop-Up campers? - 08/20/13
I am selling my Jayco tent trailer as I can't hunt much anymore due to a bad back and hip.

It is a 1985 806J in good condition. It sleeps four. Has a three burner gas stove, gas furnace, 12v/120v, spare tire, and all factory instructions. It seats four at the dining table. A practically brand new awning goes with it. It is an easy tow on the highway and easy to get into rough areas. If you want to come here to Boise, I'll sell it for $995.00, and that's a good price.

[Linked Image]

P.M. me if you might be interested.

L.W.
Posted By: htr3 Re: Off Road Pop-Up campers? - 08/20/13
if you want a camper not a trailer, fourwheelcampers.com has been around for decades and make a first-rate product. Allterraincampers look very similar and are made about 15 miles from fourwheelcampers.
Posted By: LostArra Re: Off Road Pop-Up campers? - 08/20/13
http://www.adventuretrailers.com/trailers.html

They have a number of popup configurations.
Originally Posted by LostArra
http://www.adventuretrailers.com/trailers.html

They have a number of popup configurations.

They look a lot like the Jumping Jack Trailers. I think the Jayco/Palomino would be a lot more comfortable. Thanks, many options.
Posted By: Razz Re: Off Road Pop-Up campers? - 08/20/13
We have a model very similar to what you are looking at. It sounds like your thought process follows what I went through. I kept after Craigslist for about a year and was willing to range out to Phoenix, Amarillo and up to the Denver area for a good used one. This winter I was looking at one in Tucson when one appeared here in Albuquerque and we jumped on it.

It has more ground clearance than my F150 4x4, self contained, tows easy, etc. I don't run a generator, use solar panels to recharge the battery and have not had any issues out in the boonies with it. And, yes I still have my 10 x 10 canvas tent and gear for that.

Look around, if you are not in a rush there are some deals out there if you don't mind a little drive.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: pointer Re: Off Road Pop-Up campers? - 08/20/13
Though I've only had limited use of one, having rented a few times, I like 'em! The one I rented towed great on or off highway. The one thing I didn't like about the one I rented was that the walls weren't true canvas, so they condensated some. Not a big problem, just a bit annoying. Even if you don't have an ATV, I'd seriously consider getting a trailer with the front basket to fit one! These things are pretty short on storage space and the bigger basket would make for a good place to put coolers etc.
Originally Posted by T_O_M

Tom

The industry refers to them as pop-up trailers, tent trailers and pop-up campers. You can find any of the three terms used on Jayco, Coleman, Aliner and other "camper" websites.
Originally Posted by pointer
Even if you don't have an ATV, I'd seriously consider getting a trailer with the front basket to fit one! These things are pretty short on storage space and the bigger basket would make for a good place to put coolers etc.

That is what we did. Ours has a 4 foot deck on the front for an ATV. I mounted a locking heavy duty plastic work box on the front for assorted camper gear. Room for extra water jugs, my mountain bike, etc. Plus it provides a great place to store gear when in camp. Up off the ground and under the bunk end.

Here are some second hand options. More trailer, less pop up

http://forum.ih8mud.com/trailers-campers-rvs/
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Off Road Pop-Up campers? - 08/20/13
Originally Posted by hunting1
It is a tent trailer if we want to be precise, but I have a 1/2 ton so no slide in.

"Ah feeelz yo' pain." I drive a Nissan Frontier. It'll tow like crazy considering its size but the carry weight is not quite enough for a slide in camper.

I have a couple balancing problems with a towable.

(1) One of my uses for either would be coyote hunting in winter. To get there I have to cross the Oregon Cascade range. Much of the winter, the highway regs allow me to tote a camper without chaining up (if I'm under 10K GVW) but if I'm towing, even a 250 pound trailer, I gotta chain up. The hassle difference matters.

(2) One of my deer / elk huntin' fishin' etc spots has a couple monster water bars to cross. They're not "drive over", they're "drive down into" size water bars. Tank traps almost. From the bottom, ground level is about even with the bottom of the truck windows. I have to take them diagonally else the class IV receiver hitch drags. No way could I cross those pulling a trailer 'cause the hitch assembly itself would bottom out ... maybe worse things would happen as well. I think, though, with a full sized truck with a little bit of lift, a smaller slide-in would be fine.

I don't have a full sized truck though. For now, I guess its tent camping. Yech. I hate setting up tents in the rain and I hate the contortions I have to go through to dry one back home even more.

Tom
Posted By: ajmorell Re: Off Road Pop-Up campers? - 08/20/13
I've been eyeing these too, though I doubt I'll pull the trigger any time in the near future. I've currently got a '89 Jayco 1006 that I may just modify instead....add a 3500lb trailer axle with legit springs and some heavier duty tires. Seems that would be the cheaper option.
Thanks all. I have looked at all the major manufacturers to include Travel Trailers, Hybrid, TRUCK CAMPERS, so it was not so much of a model or make as much I wanted opinions on those who have or are using one. I think I am going to pick up the Banshee 2 this weekend new. I may eat a bit but my stinky arse is the only one that has been in there. A 12V solar panel and I am set! Good hunt'n!
Posted By: Bighorn Re: Off Road Pop-Up campers? - 08/20/13
Here's my popup camper, mounted on my Dodge Ram 2500 diesel. It is a Hallmark Ute LX model, and has served me well for going on 15 years. Been on many a big game, turkey, and bird hunt over the years with my wife, sons, and grandson. Lots of game has been hauled in the back of this camper.

The beauty of this setup is that it can easily go off-road, and the truck can still tow a boat, ATV, or whatever you might need.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: slammer Re: Off Road Pop-Up campers? - 08/20/13
Bighorn:

How much does that camper weigh? Any issues with the pop-up roof?
Some day if I ever break down and buy a diesel I too would go the truck option for ease and portability. Good set up, but even the light ones are 900-lbs plus dry. I would be over loaded pretty quick in my half ton even with over loads.
slammer,
The camper weighs around 1000 lb. There have been absolutely no issues whatsover with the roof- it's been thru a couple of real frog-strangler rainstorms this summer, with the top popped up, and nary a drop inside.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Off Road Pop-Up campers? - 08/20/13
How do these units do with dust after one has traveled about 50 miles of dry unpaved roads?
Very well- unit seals up tite when popped down. It's been over way more than 50 miles of unpaved roads at a time.
No dust issues here either. I did hit a few small holes around plumbing and wires coming up from underneath with some silicone caulk to help out. But in all honesty they were in cabinet areas anyway.
Posted By: ajmorell Re: Off Road Pop-Up campers? - 08/20/13
No dust issues with ours either, and it's 25 years old.
All this camper talk kinda brings back memories-
My truck and camper have been on:
Moose hunt
Elk hunts
Mule deer and whitetail hunts
Bighorn sheep hunts
Duck and goose hunts
Turkey hunts
Dove hunts
Fishing trips
Boating trips

Getting it ready for Sept. 1, for our annual dove hunt at the farm. Me, the boys, and the grandson like to stay the night before, cook out, and get ready for first light. Think I'll take along a .223, as turkey season also opens Sept. 1!
Forgot ATV and UTV camping outings, as well.
Posted By: Boomy Re: Off Road Pop-Up campers? - 08/22/13
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
I am selling my Jayco tent trailer as I can't hunt much anymore due to a bad back and hip.

It is a 1985 806J in good condition. It sleeps four. Has a three burner gas stove, gas furnace, 12v/120v, spare tire, and all factory instructions. It seats four at the dining table. A practically brand new awning goes with it. It is an easy tow on the highway and easy to get into rough areas. If you want to come here to Boise, I'll sell it for $995.00, and that's a good price.

[Linked Image]

P.M. me if you might be interested.

L.W.

Man! If you were in Texas I'd take you up on it. That's exactly what I'm looking for the my base of my project. Planting on a spring over conversion with some tweaking to get a set of 31"s under it, plus the basket in front and kayak racks on top for costal fishing trips. Everything around here is around $2k or more. To risk the project I need to jump in cheap.....
The problem with a used popup is most of them have rotted canvas 'cause folks stored 'em outside. Buy one and replace that canvas and you may as well have bought new.
Posted By: 1tnhunter Re: Off Road Pop-Up campers? - 08/22/13
Originally Posted by Bighorn
Here's my popup camper, mounted on my Dodge Ram 2500 diesel. It is a Hallmark Ute LX model, and has served me well for going on 15 years. Been on many a big game, turkey, and bird hunt over the years with my wife, sons, and grandson. Lots of game has been hauled in the back of this camper.

The beauty of this setup is that it can easily go off-road, and the truck can still tow a boat, ATV, or whatever you might need.
[Linked Image]

The Cadillac of Pop-up Truckcampers!
Two ways to go on this one .

A). Get a off road pop up camper with a platform on the front for a quad runner / coolers.

B). If you can drive a regular cargo trailer through that area you camp at buy a tall v- nose trailer and put a furnace in it.

I did the later option, and it's nice because I can put all my gear in it and don't have to worry about rain, or theft when I'm driving out. Plus I get to use the trailer for around the house and work stuff like picking up furniture, hauling lawn mowers, and such - cant do that with a pop up.

Option A will cost 7-9k used, 11k new. Option B will cost you 7-8k new.

Posted By: BrentD Re: Off Road Pop-Up campers? - 08/22/13
I don't know much about off-road campers but this looks like the cream of the crop by a large margin

Posted By: timat46 Re: Off Road Pop-Up campers? - 08/22/13
I'm surprised that no one mentioned Alaskan Campers the original fold down truck campers.I've never had one but they look interesting
Tim
Posted By: CFVA Re: Off Road Pop-Up campers? - 08/22/13
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
Two ways to go on this one .

A). Get a off road pop up camper with a platform on the front for a quad runner / coolers.

B). If you can drive a regular cargo trailer through that area you camp at buy a tall v- nose trailer and put a furnace in it.

I did the later option, and it's nice because I can put all my gear in it and don't have to worry about rain, or theft when I'm driving out. Plus I get to use the trailer for around the house and work stuff like picking up furniture, hauling lawn mowers, and such - cant do that with a pop up.

Option A will cost 7-9k used, 11k new. Option B will cost you 7-8k new.

I did the latter last year, picked up a used 6x12 tandem axle enclosed trailer for around 1500 bucks - can't remember off the top of my head. Built a fold up bed along the side wall, installed a couple windows from a teardrop camper and a skylight. Only complaint is mine has a 6' ceiling and I'm 6'1", no big deal. A 7x14 would be ideal, the 12' one is pretty tight all things considered. A couple folks from here helped me to pimp mine out, their advice and experience were priceless.
Posted By: Eremicus Re: Off Road Pop-Up campers? - 08/22/13
"Off road" can mean different things to different people.
I have a 10 ft. Lance Camper that I've taken on some pretty bad 4WD roads and up some pretty remote desert sand washes. It held up fine, but others I've seen tend to shake apart pretty badly from the rough roads. Trailers are no better. So, whatever you buy, make sure it is of a rugged construction.
True off roaders usually tow a Jeep type off road trailer with various setups for camping. Really not very different than a well equipped tent camper using a good 4WD pickup truck. E
Posted By: outahere Re: Off Road Pop-Up campers? - 08/22/13
I have had a number of pop-up tent trailers over the years and like them a great deal. Lots of room, lots of light and less of a boxed in feel than you get from a hard sided trailer or PU Camper.

Downsides include ease of entry, harder to heat (high volume, limited insulation and limited battery life to run the heater). Also, they will not stand up to a snow load of any consequence.

Still, they are great little rigs. My current tent trailer, a Coleman Santa Fe, makes for pretty cushy camping.
Posted By: Razz Re: Off Road Pop-Up campers? - 08/22/13
IMO the key is to have flexibility in your camp set up. All the ideas noted are great, just depends on your wants and circumstances. We got the camper for a little more comfort and convenience, it will get us most place we want to camp or hunt. I also have a 10 x 10 Kodiak canvas tent and gear should I want to venture a bit deeper off the beaten path where a trailer may not go. My ultimate escape is using my Marmot Limelight tent and backpack, or if the weather is good, cowboy it under the stars!

The other upside to all this is, its a great excuse to accumulate more gear!
Happy trails!
Razz
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: Off Road Pop-Up campers? - 08/22/13
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
+The problem with a used popup is most of them have rotted canvas 'cause folks stored 'em outside. ..."

Fortunately the canvas on my Jayco is in very good condition because I've taken care of it.

L.W.
Posted By: hunting1 Re: Off Road Pop-Up campers? - 08/23/13
I boug the Banshee B2 and pick it up Saturday. I have several back packing tents, canvas tents but this will be nice for the late season trips and when the kids want to go. Off road, ok it has 15" all tarrain tires, shocks, and great ground clearance. Pretty self explanatory compared to the standard 13" doghnuts, no shocks or springs, low rider, no skid plateing. The Coleman Evolution, Jayco Baja, and the Palomino Banshee. These types are what I was asking about. Thanks all and I like the "Reason to get more gear". Almost as fun as using it!
Posted By: forepaw Re: Off Road Pop-Up campers? - 08/23/13
Bighorn, that is a handsome outfit! But what do you do when you get into your campground at night and it is raining cats and dogs. I take it you have to go around and unlatch all the corners? Then shed your wet raingear? And then the next a.m. if you have to get on the road, do you just secure the wet canvas, and wait until you have a chance to pop it back up to dry? Just curious. Have never owned one, but like the set up. Have camped in a Jayco pop-up, and it was nice.

forepaw
Posted By: N2MyWake Re: Off Road Pop-Up campers? - 08/23/13
I like the looks of the B2
Posted By: hunting1 Re: Off Road Pop-Up campers? - 08/23/13
Originally Posted by N2MyWake
I like the looks of the B2

It isn't what my wife wantd but for hunting and a base camp with water storage it will be perfect for my needs. I needed and wante the ground clearance. The used ones were almost new price is why I went used. They go for 13K, but I will get my usage. I almost went with a Travel Trailer Hybrid but I was concerned with weight and length on the one tracks. I pick it up Saturday and will take it through the paces next weekend. I am picking up a solar charger today, pretty excited. Come on October.....
Posted By: N2MyWake Re: Off Road Pop-Up campers? - 08/23/13
a small honda generator would be a nice addition to that. My wife is a tough sell on campers for sure.
Posted By: ajmorell Re: Off Road Pop-Up campers? - 08/23/13
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
+The problem with a used popup is most of them have rotted canvas 'cause folks stored 'em outside. ..."

Fortunately the canvas on my Jayco is in very good condition because I've taken care of it.

L.W.

I'm fortunate enough that the one I inherited from my parents had the canvas replaced around 2000.
Posted By: Bighorn Re: Off Road Pop-Up campers? - 08/23/13
forepaw,

It takes about 10 seconds to unlatch the top, no big deal.
If the upper fabric gets wet, I just pop it up when I get home, let it dry out for a half day or so. Hallmark makes their campers out of good stuff.
Posted By: Razz Re: Off Road Pop-Up campers? - 08/24/13
I boug the Banshee B2 and pick it up Saturday.

Congrats and enjoy! Let us know how you like it.
Razz
Posted By: hunting1 Re: Off Road Pop-Up campers? - 08/24/13
Originally Posted by Razz
I boug the Banshee B2 and pick it up Saturday.

Congrats and enjoy! Let us know how you like it.
Razz

Thank you Razz! Solar panels get here Tuesday and LED replacements next. 50+ days till I go elk hunting! I'll try it out next weekend.
Posted By: hunting1 Re: Off Road Pop-Up campers? - 08/24/13
[Linked Image]
Got it! It already has LED lights, so all that is left is fill it up and groceries. I almost got the Chalet but too small if the family went.
Buddy of mine has one of these. Pretty nice set-up, but I'll still take a wall tent and a utility trailer. He bought it used just before last year's deer hunt and was telling me how convenient and easy set-up was. By the time he had his wheelers unloaded, the trailer leveled and set-up, I had my 14x16 tent set-up, cots and sleeping bags in place, and was on my second beer... grin

Plus I can spit on the floor and wasn't tripping over someone for a week. Funny how every time we had time to "hangout", everyone was in the tent.... whistle

[Linked Image]
Posted By: hunting1 Re: Off Road Pop-Up campers? - 08/25/13
We will still set up the floor less cook tent. Mine will be used for myself and kids. For each is own and after this year I may agree with you. I think I'll like it and my garage is a lot cleaner.
Posted By: bobmn Re: Off Road Pop-Up campers? - 08/26/13
Hunt: Did you look at the Jumping Jack trailer? If so, why did you pick the conventional pop up? Thanks.
Posted By: hunting1 Re: Off Road Pop-Up campers? - 08/27/13
The jumping jacks are aKodiak tent on wheels for a bunch of money, no heater, stove, water tank, less space, I could go on but I would have been better of with tents.
Yep, I never understood why anyone would buy a Jumping Jack Trailer. They want $5k for a smallish $1k trailer and a $400.00 tent.
Posted By: outahere Re: Off Road Pop-Up campers? - 08/28/13
The problem with a used popup is most of them have rotted canvas 'cause folks stored 'em outside. Buy one and replace that canvas and you may as well have bought new.

Only true with the very old, canvas units.

Newer tent trailers, like the Coleman, use Sunbrella or another UV resistant rot-proof fabric.
Posted By: bobmn Re: Off Road Pop-Up campers? - 08/28/13
Hunt: Banshee $13,000 - Jumping Jack $5000 = $8000 for a propane heater, water tank, etc.
Posted By: bobmn Re: Off Road Pop-Up campers? - 08/28/13
Waputi: Depends on where you are taking the camper. If you are staying on National Forest roads a conventional pop up is far superior to a Jumping Jack. However, if you tow it on a gnarly 2 track the Jumping Jack has these advantages:
1. Better clearance
2. Shorter over all length. ATVs go on top. Conventional pop up increases length to accommodate a shelf for ATV. This significantly reduces approach angle.
3. More stoutly constructed. For example, the load deck folds out to make the bed supports. There are grease fittings on the herculean hinges. The pop ups I have looked at use a cable system for cranking the top up (don't know if this is true on newer pop ups). If you use a pop up in the snow you will be replacing the cables. If you don't use it in the snow you will still be replacing the cables if you keep it long enough.
4. Better resale value. Older pop ups sell for well less than 50% of new price, Jumping Jack for about 75%. I know Hunt 1 could not find a reasonably priced used Banshee but that will not be the case in 10 years. The cheapest used Jumping Jack I have found is $3500.
I agree with Wap that the JJ is way overpriced for what you get. However, if hauled over rugged terrain it will outlast a conventional pop up. You also have the versatility of pulling out the tent and using it as a utility trailer. Regarding spouce, my wife will tolerate a pop up but loathes the JJ. Come to think or it, that may be a plus for the JJ.
Your mileage may vary.
Posted By: ajmorell Re: Off Road Pop-Up campers? - 08/28/13
Bob, some of the points you make come down to how well the camper has been maintained. My 25 year old pop up has lived 24 1/2 years of it's life in Michigan and still pops up like the day it was new. Canvas was replaced 10 yrs ago but none of the mechanical parts have been touched other than a little routine maintenance.
Posted By: Kevin_T Re: Off Road Pop-Up campers? - 08/28/13
I have at one point used about every camper you can think of. The Truck campers, weigh to much, and are hard to navigate. Pop up campers, require a lot of maintaining.

Now, I use tipi's that while expensive are a lot less than a camper and can go a lot more places. An 8 or a 12 man can go a lot of places. You can take a big stove for all night use, and if you desire a cot when car camping

[Linked Image]

If you have horse or goats, they can go as well, and they can still be backpacked
Posted By: hunting1 Re: Off Road Pop-Up campers? - 08/28/13
If a tent is good for you great! There is NO comparison to my wall tents and the new camper as far as comfort and eae to set up. Yes 13k is a good chunk of change but I'm blessed that I make enough. I can now take the kids without having stuff loaded all over and it is ready. I think those saying not enough ground clearance haven't looked at one. It will go about anywhere my truck can go. All I can say is we gear whore, hunters, etc are lucky to have all the great options available. Good luck to those of you heading out elk hunting next week!
Dang, I didn't notice you were in Abq....wanna let me borrow that thing in late Oct? laugh
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Off Road Pop-Up campers? - 08/28/13
I built my camp trailer from a 16' Cargo Craft. It has two 36" beds, sink, 21 cu. ft Fridge, roof top AC. The rear bed folds up and both atv's fit end to end. Wherever the F250 goes it'll follow.

Originally Posted by ajmorell
Dang, I didn't notice you were in Abq....wanna let me borrow that thing in late Oct? laugh

I drew a first rifle in October and my son has a November youth hunt is why I finally broke down. September is nice but November will be cold! What hunt did you draw?

I drew a first rifle in October and my son has a November youth hunt is why I finally broke down. September is nice but November will be cold! What hunt did you draw?

I only drew deer this year. 45/Pecos, Oct. 26-30

I only drew deer this year. 45/Pecos, Oct. 26-30

Pecos are beautiful! Good luck!
Same to you and your son.
Originally Posted by bobmn
Waputi: Depends on where you are taking the camper. If you are staying on National Forest roads a conventional pop up is far superior to a Jumping Jack. However, if you tow it on a gnarly 2 track the Jumping Jack has these advantages:
1. Better clearance
2. Shorter over all length. ATVs go on top. Conventional pop up increases length to accommodate a shelf for ATV. This significantly reduces approach angle.
3. More stoutly constructed. For example, the load deck folds out to make the bed supports. There are grease fittings on the herculean hinges. The pop ups I have looked at use a cable system for cranking the top up (don't know if this is true on newer pop ups). If you use a pop up in the snow you will be replacing the cables. If you don't use it in the snow you will still be replacing the cables if you keep it long enough.
4. Better resale value. Older pop ups sell for well less than 50% of new price, Jumping Jack for about 75%. I know Hunt 1 could not find a reasonably priced used Banshee but that will not be the case in 10 years. The cheapest used Jumping Jack I have found is $3500.
I agree with Wap that the JJ is way overpriced for what you get. However, if hauled over rugged terrain it will outlast a conventional pop up. You also have the versatility of pulling out the tent and using it as a utility trailer. Regarding spouce, my wife will tolerate a pop up but loathes the JJ. Come to think or it, that may be a plus for the JJ.
Your mileage may vary.

I wasn't comparing Jumping Jack to a "traditional" pop-up, I was comparing it to a utility trailer and a Kodiak Canvas tent.
Posted By: forepaw Re: Off Road Pop-Up campers? - 09/02/13
Sounds good. I will check their website for floorplans and options. I don't need an installed shower, but do want the other basics, inc. furnace.

forepaw
I fell asleep somewhere in there but this is the one I am looking at next. I found the high axle tent camper to be too cramped and with the lift on it, wiggled quite a bit. Just my experience mind you. It made a great hunting shack for one or two but ended up as lawn art mostly.
[Linked Image]

If I do it again, I am thinking one of these...

[Linked Image]

No frills and hauls a lot of stuff on top... I think you can park ATV's on top.
[Linked Image]

Its an F'ing tent, on a trailer. Simplistic like me...
[Linked Image]
Have you checked prices? By the time it's all said and done, that's a $5,000.00 utility trailer and a $1,000.00 tent.
Pretty much what Puti said. Neighbor down the street has what looks to be a 16ft Starcraft R/T with room on the front for ATV. They use that area for kids bikes, coolers, etc. It has super ground clearance. Didn't pry, but guessing in the 11-15K range.
Here is my 12 foot toy hauler I made up

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/P10107731.JPG[/img]

I can lock her up and stop anywhere and go sleep in it.
I use it to haul lawn movers, furniture, ... When not hunting

I ordered the trailer with the door and windows, insulated it, and put in a popup heater - all good.
Posted By: 222Rem Re: Off Road Pop-Up campers? - 09/04/13
That's the exact approach I'm considering Spotshooter. I love the idea of a trailer's versatility to be used as a bomber hard-sided tent, a custom interior camper, OR as a trailer to haul things when not camping. They don't cost a fortune, and don't depreciate as quickly as "luxury" toys do. I don't seen any down sides.

Well, no.

Answer is a little late, I have not priced the Jumpin Jack.
Posted By: hunting1 Re: Off Road Pop-Up campers? - 09/06/13
First trip out, went up and down a nasty road and after a heavy rain it was a little exciting coming out. A whole new kind of comftorble!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: roundoak Re: Off Road Pop-Up campers? - 09/06/13
Good choice. What is your ground clearance?
Not sure exactly but it is higher than my F150. I towed it around the mountain to get a feel and it tows great. The break booster is definitely needed coming down those sloppy mountains! Very comftorble, 30-minute set up, running water, etc. even got leak checked or rained buckets for 4 plus hours. Now October 10th needs to get here for my elk hunt!
Posted By: roundoak Re: Off Road Pop-Up campers? - 09/06/13
Higher center of gravity than most pop-ups, but probably not an issue, right?
Yes but no sway and tows great.
Posted By: pointer Re: Off Road Pop-Up campers? - 09/06/13
Very nice! I'm thinking I could use one of those, the wife's delicate sensibilities be darned! wink
© 24hourcampfire