Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
I have and use wall tents so I understand their merits but am thinking of buying a Off Road pop up. Who has one and what are your thoughts? Any regrets, etc?

Thanks,

Good Shooting!
GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
fwiw, my cousin has a "homemade" one that seems to go wherever his CJ 5 jeep goes. It's a regular popup, he just re-arched the springs (higher) and then put the springs over the axle and went to taller, heavier ply 14" tires (from the original, narrow, 12" tires). He did some minor under frame strengthening with angle iron, mounted a foldup type basket on the back, a small bracket attachment on the front tongue for a small generator and off he goes. It works very well.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a 14 ft pop-up that opened up and slide outs on each end making it very quite comfortable. Perfect for a good nights sleep and staying dry. Used it for 4 or 5 seasons in Colorado. It required regular minor fixes but was hands above a tent. Easy to heat up using the 4 burner stove and 12v fan. Quick and easy to change camp locations and easy to haul. Put the highest rated ply tires on it you can buy and take care of the bearings/springs and undersides and it will last for years. Tom

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have one, built here in Oregon by a company called Chalet RV. Its the Alpine model with the off-road package and the front storage box. I think it only weighs about 1800lbs and is easy to tow. We bought it used about 4 years ago and so far its been really nice. It does not have a toilet which is about the only issue but no big deal if out hunting. It does have a small fridge and sink and 2-burner stove and decent storage for how small it is. Here is a pic a few years ago in Wyoming on an antelope hunt and it worked great. Here is a pics in the driveway, fyi it folds down flat when towing like any tent trailer.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Oregonmuley; 08/19/13.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I looked a few years ago. I like the looks of the rugged fleetwood models with the basket on the front.

http://www.southbayriders.com/forums/attachments/73980/

Last edited by N2MyWake; 08/19/13.

West Kentucky Boy
IC B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
After looking at several the Fleetwood would be my pick, seemed to be well built and have reasonable offroad clearance.

But are they still in business? Seems a few years back I heard they went under.

Ted
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
http://www.palominorv.com/banshee/

This is what I am looking at. I looked at the Chalet A-frames as well and the Evolution which was Coleman. The Jayco's are nice but they are really proud of them. I am just trying to cut down set up and gear as well add a bit more comfort. It will not replace wall tents just supplement them. Good reports, anyone else?

Good Shooting!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Those aren't campers, those are trailers.

This may be a little tricky for some, but campers sit in the back of pickups, trailers are towed behind.

Try this for pop-up CAMPERS: http://www.allterraincampers.com/ There's a Toyota down the street with a "bobcat" model which looks pretty interesting from the outside. I'm not sure 'bout the inside.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Saw one of these last fall and thought it looked interesting.
http://www.jayco.com/products/camping-trailers/baja/standards-options

H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by TJAY
Saw one of these last fall and thought it looked interesting.
http://www.jayco.com/products/camping-trailers/baja/standards-options

The Jayco's are nice as well but they want 18k for them.

Good Shooting!
IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by T_O_M

This may be a little tricky for some, but campers sit in the back of pickups, trailers are towed behind.

Try this for pop-up CAMPERS: http://www.allterraincampers.com/ There's a Toyota down the street with a "bobcat" model which looks pretty interesting from the outside. I'm not sure 'bout the inside.

Tom

It is a tent trailer if we want to be precise, but I have a 1/2 ton so no slide in.

Good Shooting!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am selling my Jayco tent trailer as I can't hunt much anymore due to a bad back and hip.

It is a 1985 806J in good condition. It sleeps four. Has a three burner gas stove, gas furnace, 12v/120v, spare tire, and all factory instructions. It seats four at the dining table. A practically brand new awning goes with it. It is an easy tow on the highway and easy to get into rough areas. If you want to come here to Boise, I'll sell it for $995.00, and that's a good price.

[Linked Image]

P.M. me if you might be interested.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
if you want a camper not a trailer, fourwheelcampers.com has been around for decades and make a first-rate product. Allterraincampers look very similar and are made about 15 miles from fourwheelcampers.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
http://www.adventuretrailers.com/trailers.html

They have a number of popup configurations.

H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by LostArra
http://www.adventuretrailers.com/trailers.html

They have a number of popup configurations.

They look a lot like the Jumping Jack Trailers. I think the Jayco/Palomino would be a lot more comfortable. Thanks, many options.

Good Shooting!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We have a model very similar to what you are looking at. It sounds like your thought process follows what I went through. I kept after Craigslist for about a year and was willing to range out to Phoenix, Amarillo and up to the Denver area for a good used one. This winter I was looking at one in Tucson when one appeared here in Albuquerque and we jumped on it.

It has more ground clearance than my F150 4x4, self contained, tows easy, etc. I don't run a generator, use solar panels to recharge the battery and have not had any issues out in the boonies with it. And, yes I still have my 10 x 10 canvas tent and gear for that.

Look around, if you are not in a rush there are some deals out there if you don't mind a little drive.

[Linked Image]

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Though I've only had limited use of one, having rented a few times, I like 'em! The one I rented towed great on or off highway. The one thing I didn't like about the one I rented was that the walls weren't true canvas, so they condensated some. Not a big problem, just a bit annoying. Even if you don't have an ATV, I'd seriously consider getting a trailer with the front basket to fit one! These things are pretty short on storage space and the bigger basket would make for a good place to put coolers etc.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by T_O_M

Tom

The industry refers to them as pop-up trailers, tent trailers and pop-up campers. You can find any of the three terms used on Jayco, Coleman, Aliner and other "camper" websites.

Ted
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pointer
Even if you don't have an ATV, I'd seriously consider getting a trailer with the front basket to fit one! These things are pretty short on storage space and the bigger basket would make for a good place to put coolers etc.

That is what we did. Ours has a 4 foot deck on the front for an ATV. I mounted a locking heavy duty plastic work box on the front for assorted camper gear. Room for extra water jugs, my mountain bike, etc. Plus it provides a great place to store gear when in camp. Up off the ground and under the bunk end.

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Here are some second hand options. More trailer, less pop up

http://forum.ih8mud.com/trailers-campers-rvs/

long before Rodriguez stole that goat.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

59 members (338Rules, 6mmbrfan, atvalaska, 9 invisible), 928 guests, and 852 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,091
Posts18,522,120
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.