Home
Posted By: RipSnort Put together an AR for me - 01/29/15
I don't keep up with all the latest gee-whiz toys in the black gun world but I know some of you do. So please use some of your knowledge to help me get a rifle put together.

What I'm looking for is a 5.56mm, AR platform rifle that would be on hand in case things got really bad (riots, natural disasters, etc.). It would be the main defense weapon in a suburban setting. Tell me what rifle, sighting system(s), and useful add-ons that would combine to fill the need. Cost is not an issue but reliability, shoot-ability, toughness and reliability (again) are paramount.

Thanks, RS
get palmetto blemished upper and lower stripped,
ptac BCG, or a rock river chrome BCG, if you want a little nicer
rock river parts kit with varmint trigger,
sopmod stock, magpul STR, B5, RRA operator stock
misc upper parts don't really matter,
hogue grip
midwest industries gen 2 SS float tube.

thats the basic setup there. the rest is barrel, I like a midweight barrel, or if you want a 20" barrel I like a hybrid contour, like criterion sells, lilja ar 740, black hole LTR etc. for an all around rifle I like 18" barrel length, midway has an AR stoner fluted 18" barrel that is pretty handy, as for optics a 3x9 scope or 2-7 scope of your choice.
I would buy a Noveske factory rifle and put an Aimpoint scope on it. Both well made and always dependable. No Frankenguns for me in a crisis.

Huge plus, if you go to sell it, the Noveske, or other quality factory guns will have a line of buyers wanting it, Frankenguns, not so much.
Hand cash over the counter and get a Colt LE6920, Daniel Defense M4V5, KAC SR-15, LMT CQB, etc....Get a set of folding irons, a light, two point sling, and a 1-4 or 1-6 scope and you are good to go.
Posted By: sherp Re: Put together an AR for me - 01/31/15
Just get something you can hunt and target shoot with. In the scenario you have described the police and/or military will confiscate it from you before you have a chance to act out your Red Dawn fantasy.
Originally Posted by sherp
Just get something you can hunt and target shoot with. In the scenario you have described the police and/or military will confiscate it from you before you have a chance to act out your Red Dawn fantasy.

Please reserve your sarcasm for the main forum.

In the lower forums your act is not appreciated and is not helpful.
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

There is no sarcasm. He should get something he will enjoy shooting at targets and game since the weapon would be removed from him by LE/MIL during the scenario he is concerned with.

There is no sarcasm. He should get something he will enjoy shooting at targets and game since the weapon would be removed from him by LE/MIL during the scenario he is concerned with.

Sherp, I asked you as a gentlemen,

And I will ask you one more time as a gentleman,

Take your sarcastic stick to the main forum where it belongs.

Once again, no sarcasm. You aren't being a gentleman because you are trying to foment his delusion and a gentleman wouldn't do that.

Why does it bother you LE/MIL would take his rifle from him before he could act out his fantasy?
A Colt rifle or carbine with an ACOG optic would make a sensible and reliable weapon.

Once again, no sarcasm. You aren't being a gentleman because you are trying to foment his delusion and a gentleman wouldn't do that.

Why does it bother you LE/MIL would take his rifle from him before he could act out his fantasy?

Now you are just being a disingenuous liar, and you know it.

I can tell you've never studies Economics. Within Economics, is The Law of Diminishing Returns".

When you are hungry, and you eat something you enjoy, the first bite is the best, but with each successive bit, your enjoyment is less then the previous. As you continue you reach a point where each additional bite adds no new pleasure, and in fact causes displeasure, to the point where eventually throw up.

The Law of Diminishing Returns also applies to Political Sarcasm. Where applied appropriately, it can be appropriate, effective, and even humorous. But there comes a point where you are none of the above, and you become a sycophant troll.

I can tell you've never studies Economics. Within Economics, is The Law of Diminishing Returns".

When you are hungry, and you eat something you enjoy, the first bite is the best, but with each successive bit, your enjoyment is less then the previous. As you continue you reach a point where each additional bite adds no new pleasure, and in fact causes displeasure, to the point where eventually throw up.

The Law of Diminishing Returns also applies to Political Sarcasm. Where applied appropriately, it can be appropriate, effective, and even humorous. But there comes a point where you are none of the above, and you become a sycophant troll.

The only economic issue we need to address concerning this thread is the loss of money he will have when the rifle he wants to acquire is taken by LE/MIL during the early stages of the scenario he wants to buy it for.

Why do you not want him to be aware of that reality?

Once again, ZERO sarcasm.
Hey Take_a_pee, what's your next user name to get banned here?
Posted By: BarryC Re: Put together an AR for me - 01/31/15
Originally Posted by wareagle700
Get a set of folding irons, a light, two point sling, and a 1-4 or 1-6 scope and you are good to go.

The scope part can't be emphasized enough. The scope has it all over irons or dots when targets are small (like a foot sticking out from behind a barrier @ 100 yds), the light is bad, or the target doesn't offer much contrast to the background. Even a shotgun scope like a 2-7x would be fine if you are on a budget.
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco

I am sherp and sherp only.

Shouldn't you be banned for being wrong and/or dishonest instead?
Posted By: bea175 Re: Put together an AR for me - 01/31/15
I have never understood why people seem to think the factory crap AR's they turn out are better than a AR you build yourself . When you build you don't cut corners like the factory does to save money unless you just choose to . I wouldn't trade one of my own build for any factory AR regardless of the maker, high end maker or low end maker. Halve the price you pay for a factory AR is just for the brand name. I would stake my life on my own builds any day .
Originally Posted by bea175
I have never understood why people seem to think the factory crap AR's they turn out are better than a AR you build yourself . When you build you don't cut corners like the factory does to save money unless you just choose to . I wouldn't trade one of my own build for any factory AR regardless of the maker, high end maker or low end maker. Halve the price you pay for a factory AR is just for the brand name. I would stake my life on my own builds any day .

Many people who build their own rifles cut corners also. To say a franken gun is less reliable than a factory gun would be like saying reloaded ammo is less accurate and more prone to misfires than factory ammo. It's a generalized statement that only applies to those who don't know what they are doing.
Posted By: TC1 Re: Put together an AR for me - 01/31/15

Did take-a-knee get the ban stick? I didn't know.

The only economic issue we need to address concerning this thread is the loss of money he will have when the rifle he wants to acquire is taken by LE/MIL during the early stages of the scenario he wants to buy it for.

Why do you not want him to be aware of that reality?

Once again, ZERO sarcasm.

How can you be so [bleep] stupid?
Originally Posted by TC1

Did take-a-knee get the ban stick? I didn't know.

I believe TAK has returned as 'glocktard'.
Posted By: TC1 Re: Put together an AR for me - 01/31/15
Hehe, it fits him well.
Originally Posted by aksheepguy

How can you be so [bleep] stupid?

Not sarcastic or stupid.

Why do you think the LE/MIL would let him keep his weapon during the scenario he fantasizes about?
You're just a coward with liberalism flowing through your blood.
Posted By: bea175 Re: Put together an AR for me - 01/31/15
If they want it at a time like they are talking about in this thread, then make them take it after the magazine has run dry
Posted By: sherp Re: Put together an AR for me - 02/01/15
You're just a coward with liberalism flowing through your blood.

Not at all. Hard core Conservative/Straight ticket Republican voter like most others around here. Why is my recognizing that police restrict privileges during emergencies such an issue with you?
If they want it at a time like they are talking about in this thread, then make them take it after the magazine has run dry

Didn't go like that a few years back when they had to confiscate during a hurricane.
Posted By: bea175 Re: Put together an AR for me - 02/01/15
The question is , how many actually gave them up.

Apparently quite a few based on what the NRA said. For certain, no LE/MIL were lit up while confiscating them.
LE was to busy Looting to have confiscated very many
Posted By: AH64guy Re: Put together an AR for me - 02/01/15

Apparently quite a few based on what the NRA said. For certain, no LE/MIL were lit up while confiscating them.

Around one thousand or so guns were collected by law enforcement during the Katrina/Rita crisis. The majority were abandoned or storm related losses during searches for victims. The only confiscation was from law breakers using firearms in commission of a crime.

Law enforcement didn't get "lit up" because nobody living was around. Get your facts straight.
what I am wondering how come no one was prosecuted for civil rights violations. these people should have went to jail.
Originally Posted by AH64guy

Around one thousand or so guns were collected by law enforcement during the Katrina/Rita crisis. The majority were abandoned or storm related losses during searches for victims. The only confiscation was from law breakers using firearms in commission of a crime.

Law enforcement didn't get "lit up" because nobody living was around. Get your facts straight.

Civilians are criminals by nature. Do you think Patricia was a lone wolf type or was she a street gang member?

Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
what I am wondering how come no one was prosecuted for civil rights violations. these people should have went to jail.

What law did they violate exactly? No reason they can't do it again either.
The most critical time weapons are needed for protection of family/property is in the hours or days BEFORE le/mil might be able to to establish security.

These guys get it,

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

One of our members here at the 24HCF,

[Linked Image]
Terry wouldn't have been disarmed because he is a retired officer and has kids in LE. The rest would be put in their places by LE/MIL personnel.
Except that the others were not 'put in their places'.

But they did protect their property until order was restored by LE and or Mil.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Put together an AR for me - 02/01/15
Sherp I don't know where the hell you live, but I have cops that are my neighbors and they are good people. I doubt any cop in GA is going to take anyone's guns unless the "anyone" is doing something stupid with the gun. Frankly I wish you would go away, your stupid comments are not changing the way people think and your just an aggravation. Your only contribution is your trite remarks. Go away.
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Except that the others were not 'put in their places'.

But they did protect their property until order was restored by LE and or Mil.

You posted the before pics which look a lot like Patricia. If police/military came through their areas the after would have looked like Patricia as well.
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Sherp I don't know where the hell you live, but I have cops that are my neighbors and they are good people. I doubt any cop in GA is going to take anyone's guns unless the "anyone" is doing something stupid with the gun. Frankly I wish you would go away, your stupid comments are not changing the way people think and your just an aggravation. Your only contribution is your trite remarks. Go away.

I am sure the officers who disarmed Patricia are good people and someone's neighbors as well. Unless your neighbors complain about getting demoted or harassed at work in general, I am certain they would have helped those officers disarm Patricia had they been on scene.
When the SHTF situation ever comes, then it will most likley be the Police who will end up getting disarmed
When the SHTF situation ever comes, then it will most likley be the Police who will end up getting disarmed

Don't recall that happening during the hurricane either and they are much better equipped now than then.

Don't recall that happening during the hurricane either and they are much better equipped now than then.

Go away you dumb [bleep].
Originally Posted by bearstalker

Why would you make the comment as a response to what I said? The police who carried out the confiscation were not harmed or even inconvenienced for doing so and now they have much better equipment when they decide they want to do so again.

Why would you make the comment as a response to what I said? The police who carried out the confiscation were not harmed or even inconvenienced for doing so and now they have much better equipment when they decide they want to do so again.

You probably have a boyfriend that is a cop. You obviously have a hard-on for them, so go blow your bf.
Posted By: sherp Re: Put together an AR for me - 02/02/15

You probably have a boyfriend that is a cop. You obviously have a hard-on for them, so go blow your bf.

Nope.

I see you cannot debate what I said. Why does that fact bother you so much?
Posted By: rost495 Re: Put together an AR for me - 02/02/15

I bet they will manage to get all yours..... the rest of us might not kneel down so quickly or easily.
Originally Posted by rost495

I bet they will manage to get all yours..... the rest of us might not kneel down so quickly or easily.

Yeah right. Every time a cop hater posts a video of a cop beating someone to death you come along and issue a statement on how tight you are with the police in your area. As we saw during the hurricane confiscation, police from every community will do what they are told to do and need to do and that is to prevent civilians from competing with them during a disaster.

Will you simply call one of your friends to pick them up from your front step or will you save them the trouble and drive them in? Neither requires kneeling and you obviously support police.
Stock up on Super Soakers if it comforts you.

I'm good with my Glocks, 870s, 700s, and ARs.
Stock up on Super Soakers if it comforts you.

I'm good with my Glocks, 870s, 700s, and ARs.

Like you would shoot at one of your brother Marines for obeying an order you could have just as easily been given and would have just have unquestioningly carried out.

I've never had a hard time knowing what is right, and what is wrong.

During my active duty years, I had a good understanding of my oath of enlistment, and difference between a lawful order, and an unlawful order.

Super Soakers and bottled water....you'll be fine.

I've never had a hard time knowing what is right, and what is wrong.

During my active duty years, I had a good understanding of my oath of enlistment, and difference between a lawful order, and an unlawful order.

Super Soakers and bottled water....you'll be fine.

Not what your brother Marine said in that infomercial. That is the great thing about consistent indoctrination and you both received it.
You've clearly got all the angles worked out.

I'm sure you'll be fine in any circumstance.

Just paying attention to how things are.

Posted By: RWE Re: Put together an AR for me - 02/02/15

To bad you didn't pay attention to double posting you f'n idiot.

Do you have a dog to fetch your schtick?

and the video you posted, the one you used to "prove" that the Marines would disarm us if ordered to do so, you do realize that the man said that Marines can refuse orders they determine to be unlawful as a follow up to your "money shot" where he says "Marines follow orders".

Yeah in that [bleep] up little mind of yours. You're the first one to go down.
Originally Posted by RWE

To bad you didn't pay attention to double posting you f'n idiot.

Do you have a dog to fetch your schtick?

and the video you posted, the one you used to "prove" that the Marines would disarm us if ordered to do so, you do realize that the man said that Marines can refuse orders they determine to be unlawful as a follow up to your "money shot" where he says "Marines follow orders".

He didn't once say he thought that was an unlawful order.

The reason for that is the precedent set during the hurricane where it was clearly shown to be a lawful order.

Yeah in that [bleep] up little mind of yours. You're the first one to go down.

Are you going to be the one to put me down since I posted the video of police putting that civilian in her place?
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Put together an AR for me - 02/02/15
how in the hell Rick let such a total waste of space on here is beyond me. Go talk about this stuff on the campfire forum, we are not talking police here.

Will everyone join me in asking Rick to keep this nut job's police comments on the campfire forum and not injecting it into every other post someone makes.
Posted By: sherp Re: Put together an AR for me - 02/03/15
how in the hell Rick let such a total waste of space on here is beyond me. Go talk about this stuff on the campfire forum, we are not talking police here.

Will everyone join me in asking Rick to keep this nut job's police comments on the campfire forum and not injecting it into every other post someone makes.

The OP asked a question on a firearm for a particular situation. I explained to him what would happen to his firearm in that situation with reference material demonstrating why I said what I said.

No different than if he asked what .22 Rimfire load was best for deer hunting, it simply isn't going to be allowed.
sherp,

So what weapon do/would you choose for defense of life and property during the time in a civil or natural event before LE/Mil re-establish security?

Posted By: Oklahoma Re: Put together an AR for me - 02/03/15
sherp,

So what weapon do/would you choose for defense of life and property during the time in a civil or natural event before LE/Mil re-establish security?

Like they did in Ferguson. How many firearms was it they confiscated?

The OP asked a question on a firearm for a particular situation. I explained to him what would happen to his firearm in that situation with reference material demonstrating why I said what I said.

No different than if he asked what .22 Rimfire load was best for deer hunting, it simply isn't going to be allowed.

22WMR is the best for deer hunting.
sherp,

US LE/MIL are always in control. Just because you don't like how it is going doesn't mean it isn't the way they chose for it to be.

US LE/MIL are always in control. Just because you don't like how it is going doesn't mean it isn't the way they chose for it to be.

Do you have any firsthand knowledge to support your asinine statements or do you intend to cherry pick bits and pieces out of MSM articles and videos to support your delusional drooling fantasies.

Here's a hint cupcake. I have actually been boots on the ground for every natural disaster that garnered a disaster declaration in the US in the past 15 years.

One theme holds true: plenty of armed citizens and police had no issue.

One instance (New Orleans/ Katrina) and you claim its wide spread.

Now take your ignorant ass elsewhere. This thread is about AR's. Seeing as how your 12yo ass has never held an AR you have no room to talk here.
sherp,

I didn't ask about LE/Mil.

I'm asking you what weapons you keep for defense of life/property.
MM if the twerp answers I'm betting it will be exotic, odds are 500:1 of pics at best.

Reality says for extended ranges its a homemade sling shot with highpower bands sourced from a 1984 Huffy ten speed and for CQB a tactical yellow wiffle ball bat with non slip (duct tape) grip.

Also betting he goes full mall ninja retard and yells "Get Some" prior to engagement.

lol
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Put together an AR for me - 02/03/15
Then you continue on to post non relevant information on the police etc.

Go back to the campfire forum, stop injecting politics regarding the police or Jews into every discussion.

I could care less for your opinion, however it does not belong in every technical discussion on this board.
sherp,

I didn't ask about LE/Mil.

I'm asking you what weapons you keep for defense of life/property.

Strange, you mentioned LE/MIL in the question and did so in a way that was not flattering to them by insinuating they had lost control.

Police are the ones who decide what happens on your property, not you.
Originally Posted by MallardAddict

Do you have any firsthand knowledge to support your asinine statements or do you intend to cherry pick bits and pieces out of MSM articles and videos to support your delusional drooling fantasies.

Here's a hint cupcake. I have actually been boots on the ground for every natural disaster that garnered a disaster declaration in the US in the past 15 years.

One theme holds true: plenty of armed citizens and police had no issue.

One instance (New Orleans/ Katrina) and you claim its wide spread.

Now take your ignorant ass elsewhere. This thread is about AR's. Seeing as how your 12yo ass has never held an AR you have no room to talk here.

Police always have issues with armed civilians. That is why they are always on hand to lend their support when a new firearms safety act is being debated and always there standing in the background when it gets signed in to law.

Go back to the campfire forum, stop injecting politics regarding the police or Jews into every discussion.

I could care less for your opinion, however it does not belong in every technical discussion on this board.

You and several others keep posting baseless "responses" to what I have said.

As I mentioned, this is no different than if the OP had asked about using rimfires for deer hunting.

That crap and the crap he is talking about simply will not be allowed by LE.

Strange, you mentioned LE/MIL in the question and did so in a way that was not flattering to them by insinuating they had lost control.

Your imaginary world sounds amazing.

Just as well you don't have any guns.

As I mentioned, this is no different than if the OP had asked about using rimfires for deer hunting.

Two bit / Tin Badge Law Dawgs like you are the reason people dislike LEO's. You need to get over the fact that you was a sissy in school and the big kids picked on you.

This guy went FULL retard. Never go FULL retard.
Posted By: sherp Re: Put together an AR for me - 02/04/15

Once again, you can make negative comments toward me, but cannot demonstrate what I have said is incorrect.
Originally Posted by Oklahoma

Two bit / Tin Badge Law Dawgs like you are the reason people dislike LEO's. You need to get over the fact that you was a sissy in school and the big kids picked on you.

And of course none of what you said has any basis in fact. Funny that you have to do that since you cannot debate anything I have said and you have to resort to flinging insults.

The guy keeps showing facts from incidents that have happened. You should try it sometime instead of going off of fallacies.

Yours is undoubtedly the lowest of the insults also. You cannot debate anything I have brought up so you use an unfortunate reality for many as a way to attempt to belittle me. No doubt you have been using the same "insult" since you were about 6 years old which is when most decent people got the idea that was funny beat out of them. Interesting that your little cronies here don't say anything to you about that either.

Once again, you can make negative comments toward me, but cannot demonstrate what I have said is incorrect.

Going through life feeling oppressed and powerless doesn't calculate in my world.

It seems to suit you. There isn't much I can offer the likes of you.

As the prodginy of two backwoods crooked tooth inbred cousin fuc#kers I do not expect you to understand common English. Nor do I expect you to ever answer a questions straight up.

But as a goodwill token I will ask you once more:
When in you experience or US history has there ever been a "mass confiscation" of legally owned firearms by Leo/mil. I advise you to answer carefully but I know better!

Balls in your court meatbeater.......

The guy keeps showing facts from incidents that have happened. You should try it sometime instead of going off of fallacies.

Yours is undoubtedly the lowest of the insults also. You cannot debate anything I have brought up so you use an unfortunate reality for many as a way to attempt to belittle me. No doubt you have been using the same "insult" since you were about 6 years old which is when most decent people got the idea that was funny beat out of them. Interesting that your little cronies here don't say anything to you about that either.

Do you wipe your own ass?
Originally Posted by MallardAddict

As the prodginy of two backwoods crooked tooth inbred cousin fuc#kers I do not expect you to understand common English. Nor do I expect you to ever answer a questions straight up.

But as a goodwill token I will ask you once more:
When in you experience or US history has there ever been a "mass confiscation" of legally owned firearms by Leo/mil. I advise you to answer carefully but I know better!

Balls in your court meatbeater.......

Were you trying to insult me or were you trying to relate to me where you are coming from? The word is "progeny" and as near as I can tell you just told us your parents were cousins with bad teeth.

During the hurricane, firearms were seized.

Chicago under Daley:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...ter-disciples-gang-war-police-deployment

Buffalo, NY is in progress:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/11/14/buffalo-police-search-for-firearms-at-home-after-funerals/

California:

http://downtrend.com/travis/california-begins-confiscating-legally-purchased-guns

Do you wipe your own ass?

When necessary.

Do you do it frequently as a compulsive disorder or are you about to start bragging about affluence by paying someone to do it for you?
What rifle is being recommended for the OP's build? Keep the thread on target.
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
What rifle is being recommended for the OP's build? Keep the thread on target.

I was going to post the same reply.

I guess asking people to stick to the topic killed the thread.

My son just bought an S&W, bringing it over today to shoot.

I've only recently desired one.
Like the idea of building but have absolutely no knowledge about ARs since shooting M16s in the military in the 80s.

any help here???
There's lots of help here. Starting with the bagillion threads here answering the same question you're asking.
Looks like I missed something in the middle here but back to the original question. I'm building a SHTF AR this week just to have around. I'm using an Aero precision upper and lower,an SAS nickle boron bcg,a black hole weaponry slim 8' twist 3 groove 16" barrel, ergo grip, mag pul ctr stock, and a 12" Midwest industries SSK keymod forend.

I'm also running a RRA two stage match trigger until I spring for a good single stage. I'm hoping for lightweight that'll still shoot MOA. I should know if it works next week.

Bb
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Put together an AR for me - 03/18/15
I picked up a couple of Armalite DEF-10s in 308. I got them for a good price 750 each. So far they have had no problems. These are my big games rifles and self defense against bears. Only problem I had is the ammo is heavy. You can carry a lot more 22lr rounds but then again I would not want to shot a bear with a 22lr.
© 24hourcampfire