Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I'm sure that we will ignore this one as well since it's also not a TSX

[Linked Image]

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Old and grouchy, I resemeble that remark... grin

Dober

(Jordan-never been to it, would love to but time is always so short. Totally underforstand why it'd wear off a bit being around it every year)

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SU35
Do you have a better answer than Randy as to why Berg's, Brad's and others Barnes bullets failed to open up?

Probably the same reason that the core-lokt above failed to expand. When things are moving at Mach3, some crazy crap happens.

This is assuming their bullets came from "good" batches of copper wink

SU,
I want to apologize. I feel like I have added some gasoline to the fire, and our healthy debate has degraded somewhat to become contentious and meaningless. I respect your opinion, but recognize that your experience, like your opinion, is different from mine, and that's ok. smile

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Why didn't you say so?!

I did not want to drag him into our "discussion's" here.

But that gives your claim all the credibility you need!

Look, I've stopped using Nosler ABs. Over the past 4 years I've seen failures with the bullet. They, Nosler had a "bad"
batch as well. It was supposed to only have been with 30/180's,
but I've seen bad bullets in 338/225's 338/180's 30/200's and
30/165's.

so what I said was true afterall, it's not just Barnes. Every company can get a bad batch of material.

I'm a picky man, I want my bullets to work every time.

Then I'm afraid you'll be disappointed, no bullet works EVERY time wink

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Jordan, you are a bastion of calm and rationality- in general- on these discussions and that's extra-commendable for someone 26 years old.

Maybe you just haven't had time to get old and grouchy yet <g>.

Thanks, Jeff. I think... laugh

IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I'm sure that this will be ignored also since it is the sacred Partition

[Linked Image]

This was sent to me by a friend and this is Dave's exact words,

200 gr Nosler partitions recovered from an American Bison Killed on Henry Mountains in Utah.
Bullet on the right broke the shoulder but did not go any further resulting in a very long afternoon of tracking. The bullet upon recovery weighs 74.9 gr.
The other bullet out of the same buffalo weighs 92.5 gr upon recovery.

Last edited by jwp475; 02/04/09.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
can't see the pics JWP....grin or am I ignoring them grin

just boshin

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Life if soooo much better with JWP and a few others on "ignore". Their lips are moving, but I can't hear what they say! :-) Peace in the valley.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The bottom line is not what the bullet looks like when it's done, it's what the bullet does while it's being slowed down. An expanding bullet should expand, a bullet made to tumble should tumble, the guys using a bullet should have some idea what his bullets will do based either on personal testing or decent research. A bullet which doesn't do what it is supposed to do under a given set of circumstances is a failure. Those are my thoughts (opinions).

Copper is harder than lead and sometimes fails to expand. I believe that was part of the reason for the original inquiry. Those of us who have had failures with certain things may lack some confidence in those things. (I can understand that!) Thankfully there are many, many good options. And no single item or piece of gear is always better than others.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've said until I'm tired of saying it, that when I want something that will no-bullshit PENETRATE, I'll choose a Barnes bullet. And to that effect I loaded one of my elk rifles with TSX's last year and this year. But some guys don't what to hear that; they want to fight about whether the TSX is the best bullet on the planet for everything.

It pleases me that the collective mind of the 'Fire is swinging towards a more moderate view. Those guys are losing their ability to shout us all down, as the pictures of banana TSX's keep comin'....

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you want super-penetration without the possibility of a banana bullet, just go up one weight in the Nosler Partition over the TSX/TTSX... no-brainer IMO.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You'd know better than me, though the one deer I came closest to losing was shot with a Partition that left me (and the deer) pretty thoroughly un-impressed with the damage.

Granted, that was a heavy-for-caliber (150-gn) out of a short-barrel 7mm-08, but... it sticks with you <g>.

I guess I don't have enough data points to be certain (4 elk, 2 deer) but the Accubond has supplanted the Partition for me. Amazing damage and penetration, well, to die for <g>.

Hey... that's like an ad slogan for a bullet! I better hurry up and get a <tm> on that so's I can start collecting royalties...

Last edited by Jeff_O; 02/04/09.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
So, Mr. JB, where do all the replies posted take you to?

In other words, any thoughts or conclusions you are willing to share?

Also, if you are kind enough, I would like to have your comments on the photos I posted of the two TSX in 30cal that failed to open.

Thanks in advance and best regards,

BBerg.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Losing petals and bullet destablizing is probably not something to concern yourself over inasmuch as most perfectly expanded bullets if you carefully remove them will have turned over and the mushroom will be facing the entrance hole just under the skin on the farside...

A Nosler that blows off the front portion is very deadly indeed, and if one does not like that to happen then simply shoot the next heavier bullet weight and it won't happen..

I prefer my Noslers to blow the front lead out as it is very destructive in its near, I suppose, liquid form at that point as it will soup the lungs up pretty good, and the expanded petals of the remaining half are laid back and are much like that of a perfectly expanded monolithic, that can't be too bad...I like Noslers.

Missing petals do some mean work on internal organs also. One wonders if the so called classic mushroom is all its cracked up to be, perhaps on dangerous game or very big animals, but not so much on light bodied animals, maybe...IMO it kills slower, but usually leaves a more desirable blood trail and thats a good thing. It can or cannot give one an exit hole, depending on the weight for the caliber..I like two holes in everything...Lots of varibles to be considered in bullets..Find one you like an stick with it if it works for you.

Last edited by atkinson; 02/05/09.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jwp475
[Linked Image]

JW - What's the name of the tool you're measuring the ogive? I've seen it before but can't remember the name.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's made by Sinlcair and is one piece of equipment I totally love!

Dober

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
+1.

I got one in the mail a couple weeks ago.

Handy little deal...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sinclair "Comparator" or some such, no?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sam-now your loading with the big boyz, till pre this lil tool you were still in prep school...grins

Dober

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Haha!

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (160user, 1234, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 17Hunter, 163bc, 73 invisible), 2,063 guests, and 1,146 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,829
Posts18,496,617
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.