Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I ran into the same thing at my club. Two older gents were having trouble sighting in a Remington 700 varmint special. The shots weren’t tracking at 25 yards and they were almost out of ammunition. They showed me the rifle and I caught it right away. I always have tools in my range bag and we turned the scope to the correct orientation. Best part is they paid a gun shop to mount the scope.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by VernAK
I've always wondered why scope manufacturers put the windage knob on the right side right over the load /ejection port. I have a Leupold ultralight on a kimber 338 Federal with extra low Talleys. I purposely rotated the scope 90 degrees to make the port more accessible.

Kahles offers their 524iDLR in either right side or left side windage knobs. I'm sure they do others like the 318, depending on needs.

Me

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Long time ago bought a new Redfield 4X scope. Adjustment dials were so stiff they would hardly turn. Sent the scope in for warranty work and when I got it back the adjustment dials were reversed but they turned smoothly.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by 1minute
A neighbor, who is really quite bright (like he made Colonel in the Air Force), mounted up a new scope on a 10/22, and failed to notice the top of the scope was rotated 90° to the left. I trailed along for the zeroing session where his first shots were about 5 inches right at 25 yds. As he started making adjustments, I noticed he was cranking on the topmost turret. I called him on that move, and he insisted it was labeled L/R and that's where the adjustments should be made. I got a blank stare in return, and he then verified the turret to the left side was labeled U/D, and he ran with his adjustments. When the subsequent shots went up about 4 inches, the lights finally came on.

With no tools along to rectify things, I explained the slugs would go whatever way he turned the turrets regardless of their labels, and we eventually got to zero. His issue now is the unit is to be a gift for a nephew and he's wondering if he should just write up some instructions or loosen the mounts, rotate the scope, and do a new zero. Being slightly on the cheap side, I think he's going to do a write up.

He initially tried to blame his wife for the orientation error, but a couple questions this morning verified she had nothing to do with it.

Have a good one,

I have to admit that I made that mistake once last fall. I had pulled about eight scopes and switched them around while replacing three with new scopes. Level/leveled them and the whole works. Then as moving them back into the safe, I saw the one was 90 degrees off. OOPS!

At least it never left the work bench.

…and no one knew about it until now 😁

Last edited by navlav8r; 03/19/24.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I bought a 22 once for cheap, scope was on backwards, no wonder the good deal.

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by VernAK
I've always wondered why scope manufacturers put the windage knob on the right side right over the load /ejection port. I have a Leupold ultralight on a kimber 338 Federal with extra low Talleys. I purposely rotated the scope 90 degrees to make the port more accessible.

90 degrees is to much. The elevation knob can obscure vision from your off eye.

45 degrees fixes everything...X marks the spot!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
1 - bore sight it now, take notes, rotate scope, re bore sight it.

2 - I've moved scopes at the range but I'd never remove the screws all the way. public range is a sand pit with driftwood benches :-)

3 - yea, I've mounted scope 90 deg out but noticed it b4 finishing the job.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've done that ........ Once!

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
1minute: I have seen that at the range a couple times myself.
I just shake my head and loan them my tools.
I always "bore-sight" my Rifles (and scoped pistols) at home - and if my memory serves me correctly I once tightened down a scope that was 90 degrees off kilter - I caught my human like mistake in my gunroom - this was MANY decades ago so maybe that "Rifleman" will only commit that offense once (like me).
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Remember those old Weatherby scopes that had both knobs on top?

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by huntsman22
It amazes me how many don't take tools to the range......

I’m surprised how many don’t have basic tools in their vehicle 100% of the time. A basic screw-driver w/replaceable 1/4” bits doesn’t take much space and can fix a lot of stuff in a pinch. Bonus would be having the micro version of same for small stuff like glasses/Sun glass bows, trigger adjustment screws, or scope-turret set-screws…..

Last edited by horse1; 03/27/24.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
LOL….the very second I don’t have tools, something will break, needing tools. That’s as reliable as the sun.

I have friends that heckle me for having so many gun tools, etc always with me….then are coming to me to fix stuff.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
Remember those old Weatherby scopes that had both knobs on top?

I had one of them on my first hunting rifle. A 257 Wby. FN.. You would have to look long and hard to find a bigger POS than that scope.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have one of those Weatherby's. One of the turrets is all corroded and locked up tight. Looks like battery acid corrosion.....

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
lol….i never had one….just always thought they were goofy. This thread reminded me of that….but maybe there’s a point in there for some. wink

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Oh man, I don't wish getting caught at the range in need of tools but not having them upon anyone for which I have no enmity. Usually, it means to move on to the next item in line but that only goes so far... still, as seldom as things align to just get out there, it's difficult to escape the feeling that I could have saved a lot of drive time when that happens. PS what evidence is there that military are smart?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

165 members (257robertsimp, 160user, 2500HD, 2UP, 405winash, 10Glocks, 18 invisible), 1,780 guests, and 955 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,495
Posts18,472,130
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.