Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Etoh
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
FFP scopes lose a lot of their reticle utility at the lower mag. powers and an advantage using the SFP is using the turrets at the lower mag. range.
Not really. The beauty of FFP is that it can act like a simple duplex reticle on low magnification, and provide more detailed subtension information at higher magnification.

Using the turrets is not an SFP advantage, as turrets can be used at any magnification, regardless of the focal plane on which the reticle is placed.

I should have worded it better, SFP doesn't need the hold over as the turrets can be used at lower powers for the holdovers. The disadvantage of the FFP at lower powers is an obscure reticle. The advantage of the FFP is that at higher mags. the hold offs and hold overs don't have to be done in the head
In addition to holdover, there are a number of other valuable uses for reticle subtensions: spotting hits/misses and measuring needed correction, holding for wind drift, holding lead, measuring target size, estimating distance, etc.

Not all FFP reticles are faint at lower magnification, it really depends on the reticle design.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1eyedmule
any SFP can be used this way. say the variable range is 3x15 which means that the scope mags goes over a range of 12 and divided by 2 or 6. So the MOA/Mil subtension will 2x that at 9x so the holdovers will be 2x the amount of their markings. Thus the 2 Moa/mil will be 4 etc.

Wouldn't the values double at 7.5x?
If the subtensions are accurate at 15x, then yes.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
any SFP can be used this way. say the variable range is 3x15 which means that the scope mags goes over a range of 12 and divided by 2 or 6. So the MOA/Mil subtension will 2x that at 9x so the holdovers will be 2x the amount of their markings. Thus the 2 Moa/mil will be 4 etc.

If the mag zoom range was 0x15 then 7.5 would be double.

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

If the mag zoom range was 0x15 then 7.5 would be double.
The relationship between reticle subtension and magnification doesn’t depend on the range of magnification settings built into the scope. It could be a 1-15x SFP scope or 5-15x, the subtension values at 7.5x are double the values at 15x.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Yes and the relationship is linear not exp/log. so the starting point for the relationship uses the center of the range not the top range. This is how Burris Ballistic reticle relationship is set. As Swarovski does the same, at least in my Z6, by grouping bullet drops in 3 separate catagories, (little drop to lots of drop) then using their online program the scope can be set up for any caliber.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm not sure where you hunt elk, but no way I'd want an 8x or 10x as my lowest mag available. I hunt dark thick timber part of the time where 3x is the most I'd want.
If I were you, I'd shoot that rig as is, you might like that scope and you won't have to buy a rangefinder. You can always sell it later.
Otherwise, if you really think 500yds will be your max, any 3-9 with a ballistic reticle would work. If you can find the old 1" Vortex Razor 3-15 you might be able to get one for $500, great scopes. But even the $99 Burris FFII would work. I'm not a fan of FFP on hunting rifles, but many are.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by slm9s
I'm not sure where you hunt elk, but no way I'd want an 8x or 10x as my lowest mag available. I hunt dark thick timber part of the time where 3x is the most I'd want.
If I were you, I'd shoot that rig as is, you might like that scope and you won't have to buy a rangefinder. You can always sell it later.
Otherwise, if you really think 500yds will be your max, any 3-9 with a ballistic reticle would work. If you can find the old 1" Vortex Razor 3-15 you might be able to get one for $500, great scopes. But even the $99 Burris FFII would work. I'm not a fan of FFP on hunting rifles, but many are.

Thank you very much. I believe I am just going to keep it as is for now. Get it sighted in at 100 and program the muzzle velocity and bullet coefficient and see how it does.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Wizard1962
Originally Posted by slm9s

Thank you very much. I believe I am just going to keep it as is for now. Get it sighted in at 100 and program the muzzle velocity and bullet coefficient and see how it does.

Good deal.
If that doesn't work, give the folks at Burris a shout-they will be helpful.
https://www.burrisoptics.com/ballistic-tools
Click on the button for Eliminator

2012 was my first time to use a E-3. I am even shooting a rifle
https://www.predatormasters.com/for...eliminator-iii-out-to-1000-yards.241095/ grin

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes and the relationship is linear not exp/log. so the starting point for the relationship uses the center of the range not the top range. This is how Burris Ballistic reticle relationship is set. As Swarovski does the same, at least in my Z6, by grouping bullet drops in 3 separate catagories, (little drop to lots of drop) then using their online program the scope can be set up for any caliber.
Agreed that the relationship is linear, but the point of reference is whatever magnification setting for which the scope manufacturer calibrated the reticle subtensions. The Burris Ballistic Plex is typically calibrated for the max magnification setting.

The behaviour is easy to observe if you have an optical collimator, and there are even some phone apps that simulate it. Of course, actual shooting will verify the relationship, as I have done many times.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Yes Ive verified the relationship many times with many SFP scopes also. Have yet to find one that starts with mag at zero, could you provide a few examples. I want to take a look at them. Shoot 4 days week, long range, western desert Utah. You do you , I'll do me.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jordan is right

Etoh is wrong

😁

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

It’s not always exactly half of the full power value where reticle subtensions double though

Determining this value is part of the Precision Scope Mount at Score High for second focal plane optics

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Magnification adjustment marks on the scope aren't necessarily accurate, as such a test will reveal.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
rcamuglia is right. No two scopes are made the same., and mag. marks certainly are not reflective of actual value. wasn't suggesting they were. my Benchrest NF has the hold overs set at 11x even though the scope is 22x, and my Hensholdt 6/24 is set at 12x both are SFP. Is that 11.5x or 10.5 and 11.5 or 12.5 on the Hens. , and thats to say nothing about no correction on windage. The only way to find out is to shoot it. (as rc suggests)

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Never had the pleasure of shooting a manicured rifle range, fixed firing line, (on buckets list) most of the long range stuff I do has at least as much uphill and downhill error in the holdover reticle as the mag. guess. Getting old though, only shoot 20,000 to 30,000 rds. a year, not like early match days which was 100,000 for 3 gun IPSC, an occasional Steel Challenge, or hand gun silhouette thrown in.

If your curious about corrections for SFP, Sniperhides has excellent posts, a lot of "Barricade Benchrest" but not as much "tactical quarter groups" stuff as Campy

Last edited by Etoh; 03/26/24.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The only way to find out is to shoot it. (as rc suggests)

I never suggested that. I guess if you’re a fan of doing things the difficult, imprecise way you could shoot it and get close.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Not really difficult if you understand whats going on, and as you had someone do it for you I can safely assume that you don't. Their is nothing precise about shooting especially when the wind and inclination gets involved. Certainly nothing precise in the sense of 2 decimal places to the right. oh maybe the maching in the gun parts, and tolerance in bullets, but after that the random errors start cancellingl or negate all those those plans.

Last edited by Etoh; 03/26/24.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Oh and cut back on testosterone shots,, maybe add a little progesterone to off set it. And yes I have all the state and Federal lic. to say that. In 37 states as a fact.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not really difficult if you understand whats going on, and as you had someone do it for you I can safely assume that you don't. Their is nothing precise about shooting especially when the wind and inclination gets involved. Certainly nothing precise in the sense of 2 decimal places to the right. oh maybe the maching in the gun parts, and tolerance in bullets, but after that the random errors start cancellingl or negate all those those plans.

Oh and cut back on testosterone shots,, maybe add a little progesterone to off set it. And yes I have all the state and Federal lic. to say that. In 37 states as a fact.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (44automag, 01Foreman400, 338Rules, 406_SBC, 1minute, 14 invisible), 1,508 guests, and 786 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,493
Posts18,472,095
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.