-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
OP Offline
S
I was referred to this specific forum for help in assisting more research on a family heirloom with some provenance. All help appreciated and additional knowledge - firearm specific and history specific from a long time ago in the Golden Age of world Travel and hunting...

Commission Gewehr Model 1988

This is a lovely firearm, well made, delicate and streamlined. It is in very good condition. RCBS verified it is 8mm Mauser, (7.92 x 57JS), bore .323.
It has been in the family for over a century and now it needs it a new home. rifle was given to my great grandfather by a Maharaja U. Singh in the WWI era. They became good friends over their love of hunting. My paternal great grandfather traveled to India where he hunted with Singh. Not sure what species but (deer) was mentioned, they hunted postwar in Europe for stag also. Singh ruled the State of Kotah, India. He was a noted big game(Tiger) hunter. I only know this info from family notes passed on, an Aunt had a wrap made with my great grandfathers tiger skin in the 1920’s…

The rifle is a bolt action, 8mm Mauser, twin trigger (one set trigger), steel buttplate, steel pistol grip cap, butter handle bolt. Gun is circa 1910 – 1912. Gun has very high degree of finish and raised quarter matte rib, (2) flip up sights, extensive markings, and an octagonal barrel which transitions to round before receiver.

Markings on top of quarter matte rib - V. CHR. Schilling Suhl Prussia.
V. Chr. Shilling stands for Valentin Christoph Schilling
Markings on top of barrel receiver transition - Krupp Steel
Markings in photo of side barrel band - 2.67 G.B.P St. m.G.
Verifies rifles marked with only an indication of powder charge and bullet type as shown here date to 1912 or before: 2,67 g GBP
††St m G
These marks show 2,67 grams of Gewehr Bl‰ttchen Pulver (military flake powder) and Stahl-mantel Geschoss (steel jacketed bullet).
Extensive proof markings on underside of barrel – see Photo…
usually accompanied with a crown-over-N or the word Nitro, specifying smokeless powder. 172/28

For Pix See:
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/19325561/1888-commission-rifle

If I screwed up pix posts please advise! Thanks...

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Such a beauty....

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
TY for sharing sir

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I'm sorry to hear it has to be rehomed, it's gorgeous for sure. Your great grandfather and the Maharaja had exquisite taste. What prompts the need to do so with such a perfect heirloom?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ClayBelt
I'm sorry to hear it has to be rehomed, it's gorgeous for sure. Your great grandfather and the Maharaja had exquisite taste. What prompts the need to do so with such a perfect heirloom?
I was about to ask the same thing.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Welcome to the 'campfire.
Please reconsider selling this irreplaceable family heirloom. Preserve it and its fascinating history for future generations.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very nice. IIRC Haenel made a lot of similar rifles back in the day based on those actions. A fair number were advertised and sold here. Terry Wieland wrote some about one.

It’s interesting (to me anyway) how so many rifles from that era shared that split bridge and magazine setup.

What fresh Hell is this?
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Here is a rifle I own built by Valentin’s grandfather Johann Christoph around 1815. Converted to percussion ignition system probably in 1830’s. I still hunt with this rifle.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Very nice. IIRC Haenel made a lot of similar rifles back in the day based on those actions. A fair number were advertised and sold here. Terry Wieland wrote some about one.

It’s interesting (to me anyway) how so many rifles from that era shared that split bridge and magazine setup.

It doesn't surprise me a whole lot. A lot of them were in fact derivatives of the Gew 88, Steyr mined it for all it's worth.

S
OP Offline
S
Thanks for the comments all! The situation is frankly not optimum. I have no one to leave this gun to. one child has less than zero interest and would probably give it to the Police... sheesh... I really would love to shoot it a few times just to feel it come alive, it has been dormant for way too long. Overall it is in very good condition, and I would love for someone who would treasure it for its intrinsic value alone to enjoy the gun and let it once more live. I'm looking for a few low power rounds to test it with and have been told American ammo is loaded light, compared to Euro ammo. The stated velocities seem to bear this out. I have seen tons of ammo on AmmoSeek.com but am quite unsure what to try. Suggestions appreciated. I have little idea of value of the gun either, but feel it's reasonably in the $1300-$2000 range. Again suggestions/values appreciated from all.
I had been told by other members who directed me here that on occassion some history might be sourced from the Oberndorf Mauser Museum and some members here who might have direct contact knowledge there, and lastly that the Sikh faith may have interest in the gun as well. Appreciate all the knowledge you kindly share with newcomers here!

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
This one seems like you've got the history down about pat as far as can be if you want to reach out to me at

ate 5 cero 7 fiddyfive 6 for 4 cero

I can help you out

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Syncerus1
Are you willing to give your location where one of the members could meet with you and inspect the rifle before firing it ?? ClayBelt is a trusted source on this forum.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
S
OP Offline
S
No worries I reside in Idaho Falls, ID. and will reach out to Clay! Thanks all.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
After a few calls with Syncerus, both voice and video, we worked out a deal for the rifle and for photocopies of the family notes pertaining to the rifle as well. I look forward to caring for this piece for many years.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I'm glad it's going to someone who will appreciate it for some time to come.
Congratulations to the both of you.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1337Fungi, 10gaugemag, 64 invisible), 2,452 guests, and 1,190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,778
Posts18,477,043
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.