Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11
C
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Originally Posted by SuperCub
[quote=Dillonbuck]We got that $10k (after taxes) bump when our mortgage was paid.
It was unreal, suddenly we had money we didn't know what to do with.

Paying off a mortgage changes one's life if one does not go right back into debt for trinkets and toys. I kept on paying what I was putting on the mortgage into a tax free savings account. Doesn't take long for the funds to add up and that way and if you need a new vehicle or other essentials, the money is there.

The rich live like they're poor and the poor live like they're rich.[/quote.

You are so right.

I’m putting the mortgage into 401, and don’t miss it.
Just wish that $10k per year was the same as when I started the mortgage in 2000

We did the same thing 4 years ago.

Previously we had 3 financial priorities:

Mortgage
Retirement savings
Boys 529 plan for college

I always wanted the mortgage done before my son started college as an added buffer in case. Once the mortgage was paid off, we focused on the other two and a high yield savings account to use as a bringing strategy until I start collecting SS at 65.

Now without the mortgage, my pensions cover the bills and some savings, the bridging money is going towards the taxes on a Roth conversion in Dec.

“Might does not make right but it sure makes what is.”
GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
i always say people use to work to eat know they work to play and blow their money on it
my father grew up on a farm and they would not butcher a cow always ate chicken and pork because they could get more for the beef...that says a lot about how people use to get by, now they just charge it

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Rez dog bougie chit.

When I live large we all live large.......lol

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

My dad used to make silk purses out of those…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by dale06
Congrats to you and family for getting your finances in good order.

Thanks, as DR says, "I did a whole lot of stupid." I failed to comprehend what my what my parents were teaching. My bad habits I mainly picked up in the Army, keeping up with others of my pay grade.

While my parents taught me a little about money and a whole lot of hard work. I never understood that they only borrowed money on things that made work more efficient, or to buy land. My parents are millionaires by DR standards, but they look like dirt poor ranchers/farmers. Dad turned 83 in March and still running 250 pairs of commercial cattle by himself, for the most part with minimal help from us kids and the grandchildren. Down from the nearly 500 he ran 10 years ago when he sold down to 100 pair due to the drought.

It took a lot of stupid, before we realized we were out of control. I know there are many ways to take control of your finances, the amount of financial gurus out there selling their product proves it. Just find the one that works for you. We chose DR FPU because it was offered at our church. It was nice to know we weren't alone in our community with wanting to take control of our finances. We had people who weren't even in our church attend.

I think the thing that most people are bothered about DR is his financial advice is very simple. Live within your means, have an emergency fund, and save for retirement. The rest of his program is more of a mental health counseling, and correcting the behaviors that got you in financial trouble in the first place. A lot of people don't want to hear that they are the main cause of their own situation.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by gene270
i always say people use to work to eat know they work to play and blow their money on it
my father grew up on a farm and they would not butcher a cow always ate chicken and pork because they could get more for the beef...that says a lot about how people use to get by, now they just charge it
My wife grew up on a farm. She never knew why they always ate cheese corn and pork, but never killed a cow until I explained it to her. I guess if you are immersed in it, you don’t really think about it.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've told I have no class, so there is that.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Depends on location. In NE Arkansas many would say I was upper class even rich. Some places where cost of living is high I would be poor. I think I'll stay around here to live.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Being debt free except for the mortgage has been essential for us as a with two kids and the wife staying home. We drive old cars. We don't have any big toys (ATV, UTV, motor boat). We can still have fun - lots of camping and canoeing in our $100 aluminum Grumman canoe. But we never take expensive vacations. Those sacrifices enable us to live very comfortably, and they honestly don't feel like sacrifices because it's been how we live since we got out of college. I would like to get an ATV someday... maybe when the boys have gone to college and the house is paid off.... a couple of decades from now haha.

Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (219 Wasp, 222Sako, 1eyedmule, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 12344mag, 57 invisible), 2,567 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,570
Posts18,473,278
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.