Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Originally Posted by drop_point
Originally Posted by horse1
One won't take 100 shots in a sitting in an actual hunt. One can say you shoot 100 yards in a day or two at a match, but that isn't done with a .300 Winchester Magnum. Recoil causes fatigue..

That's the real rub for me on the whole deal. Anything that I hunt big-game with recoils enough that I wouldn't want to shoot it 50 times in a day, let alone 100. Even an 8#-9# 243Win/6Creed would get to be a great plenty as you closed in on 50 rounds.

I didn't see the 100 rounds in a day as something intended to be a hunting simulation. I saw it as a test of the shooter's ability in various field conditions.

But yeah, 100 rounds of 300WinMag, sporter weight rifle, no brake, no rear bag, getting scoped on the first shot, and a 100 yard zero, that was not........what could possibly go wrong (grin).

You aren't really testing their ability is my biggest gripe. The barrel is going to be hot causing flyers, the barrel is going to likely have major fouling which degrades accuracy, and the shooter is going to become recoil shy. You're right, what could go wrong?

All true. And the shooter chose the rifle knowing what the course of fire would consist of. That in itself tells a lot.

Exactly! But that seems to be the demographic Backfire TV is going for.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
One won't take 100 shots in a sitting in an actual hunt. One can say you shoot 100 yards in a day or two at a match, but that isn't done with a .300 Winchester Magnum. Recoil causes fatigue..

That's the real rub for me on the whole deal. Anything that I hunt big-game with recoils enough that I wouldn't want to shoot it 50 times in a day, let alone 100. Even an 8#-9# 243Win/6Creed would get to be a great plenty as you closed in on 50 rounds.

I didn't see the 100 rounds in a day as something intended to be a hunting simulation. I saw it as a test of the shooter's ability in various field conditions.

But yeah, 100 rounds of 300WinMag, sporter weight rifle, no brake, no rear bag, getting scoped on the first shot, and a 100 yard zero, that was not........what could possibly go wrong (grin).

You aren't really testing their ability is my biggest gripe. The barrel is going to be hot causing flyers, the barrel is going to likely have major fouling which degrades accuracy, and the shooter is going to become recoil shy. You're right, what could go wrong?

All true. And the shooter chose the rifle knowing what the course of fire would consist of. That in itself tells a lot.

From what I understand, 'Mike the Marine' was trolling one of Backfire's vids or podcasts, boasting himself up. Backfire said OK, come on out to Utah then, and let's see what you got.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

From what I understand, 'Mike the Marine' was trolling one of Backfire's vids or podcasts, boasting himself up. Backfire said OK, come on out to Utah then, and let's see what you got.

The only thing 'Mike the Marine' proved is that Trolls are a pain in the azz and, liars and Loud Mouthed Snooks. laugh

Last edited by KillerBee; Yesterday at 11:51 AM.

KB

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by KillerBee

The only thing 'Mike the Marine' proved is that Trolls are a pain in the azz and, loud mouth Snooks lol.

As a retired Marine myself, I found that video of 'Mike' to be both embarrassing, and hilarious, at the same time. Especially when he scoped himself on the first shot of the day.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Maybe some should on to the YouTube page or social media, and makes the case that whole set-up is rigged to fail, and that is not how LR hunter would approach things...

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by xphunter
Maybe some should on to the YouTube page or social media, and makes the case that whole set-up is rigged to fail, and that is not how LR hunter would approach things...

I might be interested in the challenge if I were also able to say:

"In these conditions, I wouldn't take that shot."

That might mean too much wind or inability to adequately dope the wind between you and the target due to geographical features, obvious swirls, etc. Additionally, that might mean that one can't make the shot from the position allowed, and/or can't get into a suitably steady position in the time allowed.

There's a big difference between being fast/expedient and being rushed. While I like to think of myself as fairly efficient/expedient, rushed pretty much never works out for me.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M

That might mean too much wind or inability to adequately dope the wind between you and the target due to geographical features, obvious swirls, etc. Additionally, that might mean that one can't make the shot from the position allowed, and/or can't get into a suitably steady position in the time allowed.

There's a big difference between being fast/expedient and being rushed. While I like to think of myself as fairly efficient/expedient, rushed pretty much never works out for me.

That's a huge part of ethical long-range hunting. Knowing when to not take the shot.

Putting a time-limit on a sketchy LR shot on a milk jug is one thing. On game, it's unethical.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

That's a huge part of ethical long-range hunting. Knowing when to not take the shot.

Putting a time-limit on a sketchy LR shot on a milk jug is one thing. On game, it's unethical.
Exactly, Shane. That's why I mentioned this earlier:

Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
The challenge should be adapted to reflect the good judgement of seasoned LR shooters. Truly capable shooters can recognize conditions in which they would not take a shot on a BG animal. If the intent is to approximate BG field shooting, the challenge should offer the option to take the shot at each jug, given the conditions at the time, where a hit is +1 point, and a miss is -5 points. Highest cumulative score wins.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve only watched the first video so far,
100 shots in a .300 mag? GLWT
I would have stopped after the first twenty shots and saved the ammo, He was in way over his head,
Perfect example of typical internet bravado in the shooters original claim to fame,
And another perfect example of how a mag caliber means little regarding accuracy or killing power, A hit is a hit, and a miss is a miss.

#humblepie

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

I agree 100%

This rule should apply in all hunting conditions:

Ask yourself "Can I make this shot", if you are hesitant to give yourself an answer, don't take the shot, because you probably can't!

Personally, I would never take a shot that was iffy in my mind. I hate wounding an animal, even a duck or a goose.

I only kill what I enjoy eating. After all of the years of hunting I have done, I have concluded that animals and birds have as much right to live as I do. I guess the older you get your perspectives change.

I stopped killing bears and ducks for that reason.

Last edited by KillerBee; 4 hours ago.

KB

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Gimme a life-size coyote steel target and I’ll shoot at it in any conditions. I’ll also be shooting a rifle in a chambering and package in which recoil fatigue won’t be an issue. I’m far less concerned w/“where” Inhir a coyote, just “if” I hit it or not.

1:8 22-250 shooting 75’s or 1:7 22Creed shooting 75’s or 88’s. I’m just fine w/a 10x max scope.

Last edited by horse1; 1 hour ago.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

726 members (16gage, 12344mag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 16Racing, 10Glocks, 73 invisible), 2,626 guests, and 1,361 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,843
Posts18,478,259
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.