-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm starting to pull my stuff out for Saturday. What will it be? Mossy Oak Obsession? Bottomland? Maybe Realtree Edge?

My wife walks in and says, "Do they [turkeys] care?" "If you sit on the ground and lean against a tree, why not wear these pants [vintage Realtree Advantage] and this shirt [vintage Mossy Oak Bottomland]."

Does she know that if I don't do that now, she will have jinxed my opening day? Can't wive keep their traps shut?

Womens. They don't understand anything.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 04/11/24.
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I like the old school bottom land too and she may be onto something.

Do it and when you come back with a tom.... she'll take credit.

I pulled my gear down last night and wonered who bought 3 blinds, 5 chairs, and 10 decoys....

Some decoys got put on Craigslist last night.....

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Over the past few years I've emptied my turkey vest of about half the calls that were in it, and am still wearing the mismatched camo clothes I've had for probably 15 years. I've gotten to the point where I like to keep it simple, and not worry abouy having the latest fad in gear. I have not bought a new call in many a year, and am still using some that I've had for going on 30 years. It took me a while, but I finally figured out that a turkey doesn't care what you're wearing or calling with.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was wearing old Mossy Oak shirt and OD green BDU pants when I killed one last year.

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Green BDU's for the WIN! I too wear minimal camo, some turkey gear only comes in it though... And thankfully, my old stuff still fits me! Lol!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Got a Bottomland shirt from Academy few days ago.....real light weight and wont be hot later in season. Can wear heavier sweat shirt under it if a cool morning. Has 2 zipper chest pockets for mouth calls, etc. Like others have said, I wear mismatched pants /shirts and a Bug Tamer jacket to keep biting critters off. Years ago turkeys were killed by early settlers, indians, Daniel Boone, and none of these guys never saw a piece of camo, but you can bet one thing....they knew how to blend in and still/quiet when time counted.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I like solid color dark tan or olive pants with a camo top. I’m rolling with a leafy zip up top this year.

I’ve been solid pants/camo top for years and turkeys don’t seem to care.

I really like the Wrangler ATG or Sam’s Club Weatherproof pants.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Sometimes I wear some full Camo, sometimes just a fleece jacket. Hold still and don’t fidget and the turkeys don’t seem to care.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I've taken more turkeys in the fall while hunting deer and small game than I've taken in in the spring. They don't seem to care about blaze orange. I've had them come right up near my stand. I've startled them and they'll scury off, and be back 30 minutes later.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't tell me what a turkey won't do.
I've seen them do it all!
Don't tell me what a turkey will do.
......or nothing! LOL!

I've had them walk right up on my face while not wearing camo.
I've also had them peg me camo'd out....just out of range!
Had one that would NOT cross a ditch I could step across.
Later, I called one across a gully 100 feet wide and 25 feet deep with a creek at the bottom!
Just about the time you figure out the answers, the turkeys change the questions!!!!😖

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MartinStrummer

Just about the time you figure out the answers, the turkeys change the questions!!!!😖

Go carve THIS in a stone, somewhere.

Yep.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Yoder409
Originally Posted by MartinStrummer

Go carve THIS in a stone, somewhere.

Yep.

Yes. Much the same can be said about any game.
( that I've ever hunted)
They do whatever their pea brain tells them to.
The trouble people have is when we try to put
human emotions and reasoning and senses to
fish and game. Like I always say, fish are always
wet, and the animals are outside 24/7

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I've been throwing on the same leaf suit over whatever for the past 20 years. Back when cabelas made good stuff, its held up well. Got my son a redhead brand for this season, only one I could find in a kid size, leaves already falling off the dang thing. Cheap junk. I knew it, but didn't think it would be this bad.

Last edited by killerv; 04/12/24.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I got the MO Obsession out. Got it treated with tick spray. Supposed to be 70+ degrees tomorrow. Warmest opening day in recent memory. Foliage isn't full yet but it seems like more than opening day last year.

I have a funny feeling it's going to be a bad tick year. We've had a mild winter and the gnats and flies are already biting.

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Supposed to be windy as hell here

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I haven't turkey hunted since spring 2019.
Needless to say, body shape has changed a bit since then! 😖
ONE lonely pair of camo pants hanging in the closet!
🤔
Pair of MossyOak pants.
Bless their little pea pickng hearts, they put elastic in the waistband! PERFECT FIT!!!!!

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Over the past few years I've emptied my turkey vest of about half the calls that were in it, and am still wearing the mismatched camo clothes I've had for probably 15 years. I've gotten to the point where I like to keep it simple, and not worry abouy having the latest fad in gear. I have not bought a new call in many a year, and am still using some that I've had for going on 30 years. It took me a while, but I finally figured out that a turkey doesn't care what you're wearing or calling with.
I’ve been doing the same as you and have been using 12 guage 2 3/4 #6 field loads and have been doing well.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Different camo patterns are designed to relieve the hunters bank account.

NRA Patron
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by earlybrd
Supposed to be windy as hell here

Here, too.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (14idaho, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, Aero, 14 invisible), 1,333 guests, and 859 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,678
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.