Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 63 of 63 1 2 61 62 63
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
My buddy and I went to Pipestone Monument in Minnesota.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pipestone_National_Monument

This is the place where Indians quarried the red stone called Catlinite. They made pipes with it.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
The quarry is still being worked today. Only Indians are allowed to work in the quarry. They have a museum and gift shop there where you can buy pipes made in the modern age, and I bought this one.

I guess the guy who made my pipe is named Redwing. There is a trail that goes through the quarry site, it is about a 20 minute hike to see it. If any of y'all are in the vicinity I recommend a visit to the Catlinite quarry. When we were there there was one Indian quarrying the red stone. He wasn't using ancient tools I saw a DeWalt cordless drill and a few other battery powered tools he was using.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
My buddy and I went to Pipestone Monument in Minnesota.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pipestone_National_Monument

This is the place where Indians quarried the red stone called Catlinite. They made pipes with it.

The quarry is still being worked today. Only Indians are allowed to work in the quarry. They have a museum and gift shop there where you can buy pipes made in the modern age, and I bought this one.

I guess the guy who made my pipe is named Redwing. There is a trail that goes through the quarry site, it is about a 20 minute hike to see it. If any of y'all are in the vicinity I recommend a visit to the Catlinite quarry. When we were there there was one Indian quarrying the red stone. He wasn't using ancient tools I saw a DeWalt cordless drill and a few other battery powered tools he was using.

Indians with “Power Tools”. I’d of had to taken a picture of that one.

Never found a pipe of any kind. None of my old TX arrowhead hunting compadres did either, as far as I know of.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 09/15/21.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 63 of 63 1 2 61 62 63

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

524 members (260madman, 1OntarioJim, 260Remguy, 264magnum, 1minute, 257 roberts, 59 invisible), 2,375 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,426
Posts18,489,191
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.