Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Slidellkid
Fire Hawk,

Congrats to your son on earning his Eagle Scout. I have heard that there are more Eagle Scouts in Utah than in any other state.
[quote=Slidellkid]Fire Hawk,

Thank you Slidellkid! It is a big deal for him....and me. I really wish I had finished getting mine when I was a kid, but I got wrapped up in other things and never finished before it was too late. I have few regrets, but that is one.

What you say about Utah and Eagle Scouts is probably true. The Boy Scouts of America has had a very long relationship with the LDS church and so there are many of that faith and others who have earned this award.

His little brother is well on his way to earn his Eagle rank as well. Of course he is already picking out which rifle he wAnts as well. A little bribery would have kept me motivated as well. ;0)

Mark's little Browning accounted for three clean kills this year. Nice muley buck, antelope doe, and an antlerless elk.

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Kitch
Giving some thoughts on the 7mm-08. Can anyone recommend a brand? Other than Kimber, Cooper or Tikka, that is.

I like 700's. My 7-08's are a modified SPS and a stock Classic. Then there's the 1A in 7x57 -- kinda like a 7-08 smile.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Were I to buy another rifle, it'd be a Sako. They will shoot better that custom guns.

BTW, the 7MM-08 Rem is an excellent cartridge.

�If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.�
***US President James Madison***
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I Love Sako's, but if you ever have a custom.....well, nothing compares IMHO, if you start with a premier action, barrel, etc. and a good smith to properly bed a quality stock, then top with good glass.

Not a thing wrong with a Sako, and yes they will shoot well too, all mine did anyway.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I shoot an older Remington 700 BDL (1983) that is bedded in a McMillan. Factory barrel. Topped off with Talley LW's and a 2.5-8 VX3. It is a joy to carry. It'll do its part if I do mine.

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
IC B2

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by SansSouci
Were I to buy another rifle, it'd be a Sako. They will shoot better that custom guns.

BTW, the 7MM-08 Rem is an excellent cartridge.

It's obvious you have never had a good custom....

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Looks like every brand has been represented in one answer or another so I will add my two cents worth. I have two 7MM-08s. One is a Remington SPS and the other a Remington Model 7. Both will place three shots under a quarter at 100 yards and give some change back. I have used the 7MM-08 on the local Blacktails using Nosler 120 gr. Ballistic Tip and they hit the ground hard.

I will hunt everywhere before I die!
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by HighRoad
a stock Classic

I like the classics a lot. they're a little heavy, but the stock is a great fit for me, and they're well-balanced. And now they really are "classic" ... BG will never make something exactly like it again.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Bbear
My Weatherby S2 is a tack driver. Though it is a synthetic stock.

Have not had a chance to shoot mine yet but hopefully it does well. Nice little gun

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Kitch
Giving some thoughts on the 7mm-08. Can anyone recommend a brand? Other than Kimber, Cooper or Tikka, that is.

Purchased an X-Bolt in 7mm-08 last year. Quality firearm, and solidly sub-MOA with several different loads. Weighs 7-3 with a Leupy 2.5-8 and Talleys. That would be my choice.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Purchased this one for my wife & she loves it.

Savage Lady Hunter, in 7mm-08 Remington.

Has a 1" shorter length of pull & a 20" bbl.

It now wears a 2-7 x Redfield Revolution & has been the extinguisher of life for her 4 deer over the last 2 seasons.

[Linked Image]

bought my wife the same rifle last year.
She says it's the best gift I ever bought her.
She's carrying it to S.AFrica this summer.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought my wife a stalker x-bolt a few years back and she never liked it for the synthetic stock. I shot very well but when she saw the x-bolt micro hunter she had to have it so we traded. She likes the wood stock as you alluded to earlier and the length of pull fits her better. It shoots very well also. With the 140 nbt it has done everything we've asked of it

"If you got it, you got it!" In memory of Pops, gone but never forgotten
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Howa 1500 or Weatherby Vanguard in 7mm-08. Howa does the lightweight model with the machined sides. Would be great gun, also the Ruger American. I just bought one of these and for the price I had no expectations. First 4 loads through it all went under 1/2". Just love it although hard to look at all my customs the same way!

If it moves shoot it again!!
Q
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Q
I have a X-bolt 7mm-08. It shoots very good and is a pleasure to carry.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by quackquackbang; 04/28/14.

"I hump the wild to take it all in, there is no bag limit on happiness".
~ Ted Nugent
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

678 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 73 invisible), 3,140 guests, and 1,394 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,480
Posts18,471,781
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.