Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sorry, geek talk, shoulda PM'd Barak.

Basically GM was showing error codes and real time data, voltages, dwell, fuel pressure, etc. way back when the body module computer was on the level of a really good calculator. Now with cheap sophisticated computers like you'd find in a smart phone there are no limits. But marketing drives engineering so the effort is on things that take you away from interacting with the vehicle, right up to press a button and read your Kindle during the trip.

Driving used to be fun in itself and a skill to be proud of.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've worked with the CAN bus a little as it pertains to heavy equipment, not cars...but the thing that bends my mind about it is that the protocol specifies that you have to insert a supernumerary zero bit in spans of more than five one bits, and a one bit in spans of more than five zero bits...so an octet might well have nine bits in it, one of which should be thrown away by the receiver. Which one? Might depend on the previous octet...which also might be nine bits long.

Not only does that get really annoying to do with standard UARTS, it screws up close timing something horrible.

I understand that it's because you don't have a separate clock line, so you have to extract timing information from the data signal, and you can't get timing information from a signal that doesn't change; but boy is it frickin' inconvenient.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, I THOUGHT I had learned English pretty well......

What did he say?

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here, this explains it in layman's language.

Or for those who graduated from high school, here is a more techical discussion.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Didn't know that about CAN, never had a use for the protocol. Mostly I2C or my own asynch protocol which is the simplest possible and presently for RS-485 single master (no collision issues smile ). No limitations on data type and a data length byte up to 0xFF less overhead for easy buffering. Everything so far fits single master, did reserve a control byte if I need more. But shades of bit stuffing in the AX25 synch protocol when ham radio went digital. Would note that Microchip has MCUs with a CAN controller built in, others too I suppose. If it's like their I2C you just service the interrupt.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dang I love those clips! laugh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well Mickey, I was lucky today and got to go the dealership to get my light (pic of motor) turned off. As I get a little older I forgot to put the gas cap back on when I filled up.
So ran some miles saw the gascap warning, stopped and put it on.
Few miles later the gas cap warning went away but the motor light came on. Waited 50 miles and still didn't go out.
Too many little lights and warnings on newer autos.
Whatever you do, don't get old.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Ya know, I was thinking about this 'check engine light' thread...

ya know, as irksome as they are... they sure beat the old 1970s oil light coming on...I use to call it the " your engine will seize in the next 500 yds" light...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
laugh Yes, I hear you. I had an engine fire on a '69 Plymouth once, I think the warning lights came on about 5 minutes after the burn started....

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 63 invisible), 2,474 guests, and 1,337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,446
Posts18,470,969
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.