-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ya I know all it really need was a turn of the screw, but given the unknown provenance of the trigger I was just a bit more comfortable swapping it out. I still have it and may use it in another 700 with the X-Mark Pro.

GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
There is nothing wrong with the new trigger design from a safety standpoint. They have a reputation as being a poor trigger. Can't say, I've never owned one. The current recall is because adhesive dripped into the trigger housings of some guns during assembly. They are simply inspecting the triggers, cleaning or replacing those that have adhesive in them and returning them. New triggers are not being placed in most guns returned.

The old style trigger could be a very crisp trigger, but is a flawed design that could discharge at any time without any trigger pull.

It has nothing to do with being dirty or how it is adjusted. The old style triggers will, and have discharged when brand new, perfectly clean and with pull weights approaching double digits. The problem lies with a design that will at times simply fail.

Anyone who says differently has no idea of the internal workings of the 1946-2006 Walker designed trigger. If you take the time to understand how the trigger works, and understand that no other trigger uses the same design it is plain as day where the flaw is. Remingtons own people were the first to discover the problem and urged management to make a design change in 1946. This is not an issue of simply having a few guns get through with a manufacturing defect. It is a design flaw that is in every single trigger.

Just because your gun is 30-40 years old and has never caused a problem means nothing. My rifle was 20 years old and had never had a single issue until it dropped the firing pin with no trigger pull 3 times in the same day. The gun was as clean as it is possible to have a hunting rifle, and the trigger has never been touched since leaving the factory in 1974.

That was almost 20 years ago and it has not repeated the problem. The internal parts in the trigger simply lined up right to allow the problem and have not done so again. Any rifle with the same trigger is just as likely to do the same as mine regardless of how clean it is or how it is adjusted.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C'mon man, that's bullchit. Anytime?

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The first XMark seems to be a pretty good trigger for me. Easy to adjust and no problems so far.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
JMR40. That's what mine did. 3x same day, 5x the next and then I couldn't get it to do it again. To the best of my knowledge, there are actually 2 issues with the Walker trigger. One is the pull weight can be adjusted so low that the trigger fails to return when pulled. If you pull the trigger with the safety on and it doesn't return, the gun will discharge when the safety is removed.

The other issue is the connector that can cause the gun to discharge when taking the safety off even if the trigger was not pulled. The symptom is the same (discharge when removing the safety), but the root cause is different.

The x mark is the adhesive issue and ironically causes the gun to discharge when the safety is removed. So there are three modes of failure and two different trigger designs and they all cause the gun to go bang when removing the safety.

I will say that I was a bit of a doubter before mine did it. I knew there was the possibility, but it seemed remote. It is way less remote when it happens to you, regardless of the root cause.

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Here we go....again...

Originally Posted by JMR40

The old style trigger could be a very crisp trigger, but is a flawed design that could discharge at any time without any trigger pull.

Give me a example when that has happened......documented......

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

179 members (2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 45_100, 33 invisible), 2,234 guests, and 1,054 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,704
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.