Got this from another site in reference to the Marlin safety.

http://marauder.homestead.com/files/TUNING_M_1894.htm

Everyone complains about the safety. However, it does have a couple of good traits. One, it allows you to safely cycle rounds through the action to unload the magazine without the danger of an accidental discharge. Two, you can dry fire occasionally without danger of breaking a firing pin.

Five things can be done to the safety.

1. Leave it alone and use it when desired.

2. Replace it with an after market dummy that fills the hole and appears as a bolt.

3. Remove the stock. Turn in the safety set screw enough to lock the safety in the off position so that it can't be applied accidentally.

4. In a lathe, face off the left end of the safety so that it is flush with the left side of the receiver when in the off position. The safety can be applied by pushing on it with the end of a pencil.

I did this to mine

5. Remove the safety, go to your friendly hardware store and purchase an "O" ring that fits the grove in the safety. After reinstalling the safety, slip the "O" ring over the left end. This will prevent the safety from being applied accidentally.

I have fired several thousand rounds through my Marlins and have never had my safety accidentally placed in the on position

Last edited by saddlesore; 12/06/14.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles