Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Joel,
Practice calling diligently but don't worry too much about it. A gobbler in the right mood will respond to a squeaky fence. smile I have seen gobblers come running to some pretty poor sounding calls plenty of times. Several years ago I had a new hunter out and after pulling a zero through the morning we stopped for a snack and a water break about 11:00. He had a couple new calls bought from the local Walmart and was trying to make turkey sounds with them. I was coaching and would occasionally give a run on one of my calls to tune his ear in so he could try to replicate the sounds. You can guess what happened... suddenly a gobble boomed out right behind us. I snuck a peak and three longbeards were about sixty yards out and in full strut. We shut up and they worked their way over on his side and when they sidled around about thirty yards he took a shot and missed. I expected that as the barrel of his shotgun was shaking worse than a little dog crapping peach seeds. smile

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by saddlering
Thought I had a big Tom fig out last spring, drove by the spot a few days before season, hes lying dead on the side of the Highway!

I saw a big tom laying dead on Interstate 81 in TN yesterday

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a friend that was using an increment borer and it was giving that typical "squeak" each time he turned the handle on the auger. If you ever used one, you know the sound. It is almost like a yelp. Well, low and behold he hears something coming in behind him and he turns to see a Tom coming straight to him.

Like I tell my son, don't make it harder than it is. If you can yelp, you can call in a turkey.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have seen Wild Hens yelping that i was sure was a beginner Turkey Hunter trying to use a new call. They were that bad . I'm saying even Turkey hens can't yelp worth a dam , but they have a bunch of baby turkeys following after them in the late spring . Their bad yelping must have worked .

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Joel/AK
I don't plan on calling to much. I picked up a slate and now I am good enough to scare the hell out of the dog and make the kid run.

The worst turkey sound I've ever heard came from a real hen. Don't be afraid to call a bit. Just stick it in your pocket after you rip off a few yelps.

I'm probably more aggressive than most with my calls but have been fairly successful. The one place I don't call much is when we're set up on roosted birds and there are hens calling near by from the trees. No need to call then, you have the best decoy and yelpers you could ask for.

Last edited by tzone; 03/14/15.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by Joel/AK
I don't plan on calling to much. I picked up a slate and now I am good enough to scare the hell out of the dog and make the kid run.

The one place I don't call much is when we're set up on roosted birds and there are hens calling near by from the trees. No need to call then, you have the best decoy and yelpers you could ask for.

unless all the hens are roosted on the opposite side of the roosted tom from where you are set up

Joel/AK Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I really appreciate all the input.

Was at the property this morning and learned some more. For the past year we have had cameras all over. We have a small clearing that is roughly 70yards by 40 yards. Turkey have always been on the camera but this year they have this place torn up scratching and just tracks. We have a permanent ground blind there for my dad ( handicap accessible for him) but I may just have to try it out. Real big tracks.

Back where I think they are roosting , we found a lot of poop and feathers. Cameras showed some birds but we had to move/re arrange the cameras.

Didn't see any birds today but did see 15 deer and they looked healthy, good sign for this fall.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
great sign Joel, hang in there and don't be afraid to call. Just do it softly and they'll come in. BTW, killed a nice bird yesterday morn in the rain. Was gobblin his head off.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
keep callin to a minimum,over calling can ruin a hunt fast.Sometime curiosity can" kill the cat"
big boyz have been known to hang up and wait.keep in mind natural breeding brings the hens to the gobbler.Doesn't hurt to shut up once you've got em coming in.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
You are already scouting more than most turkey hunters Joel! They are very likely to roost in the same place night after night. Start close to there. What works for me is get about 100 yards away from the roost before dawn and when the birds in the trees start talking to each other, just imitate their soft call. They will think there is another bird already on the ground and MIGHT fly your way to check it out. If they do, and they don't see you - they are yours. As said above - they have excellent sight, good hearing, and no sense of smell. In NY only males are legal in the spring so I am usually surrounded by hens.......

Last edited by Mssgn; 03/16/15.

"Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37, verse 4.

"The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt." Proverbs 12:27
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (007FJ, 1234, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 61 invisible), 2,408 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,420
Posts18,470,563
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.