Campfire Outfitter
M
Come on VG own up to this:

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Ghostinthemachine: I received an off-line E-mail from a pilot friend of mine who lives and flies out on the west coast - he was wondering if the plane simply ran out of gas?
I can't imagine that, but he relays that this happens all to often.
I mean he JUST took off from one airport and couldn't even make it to another airport just a couple miles distant - I would go with catastrophic engine breakage of some kind.
Again thankfully this liberal lived through this crash.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Had a late night call some years back, that due to engine failure, the FIL was in a non-fatal plane crash and in the hospital. We ended up leaving for AZ an hour later.

Now the FIL was in his early 60's, a retired AF fighter jock, retired commercial pilot, and a retired aeronautical engineer. He lived on his property he built in the desert with his wife, his dog, his plane and his own private runway, and flew just about every day...he was quite the experienced pilot.

The plane was tip-top and checked out and worked on every day.

That day he did his pre-flight and took off but once he was airborne the engine died and he had to make an emergency landing...successfully, but not without consequences that kept him in the hospital for a few weeks with broken stuff.

A lesser capable pilot would likely have bought it right there.

When I said I was somewhat surprised about his having had engine failure in such a well-maintained plane, he told me that it was actually more of a software failure...during his pre-flight he forgot to turn the fuel cock on!

There was enough gas in the lines to warm-up, taxi, take-off and get airborne, but that was about it.

It ain't all burritos and strippers my friends...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This just in,

Margin of resident pro on staff golf course Proctoctoloist report read "just before impact his ass bit a hole in his shorts."

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Yep, or accidentally switch to a dry tank. Plus the PT22 is a dry sump engine with an oil pump switch too, forget that switch and the oil starved motor gives out after a few min.

After a guy has flown a plane so many times he doesn't use a checklist card because he can do it by memory. But when he's in his 70s....

I forget stuff and I'm way younger than he is.

The issue is never the issue. The issue is always the revolution.

David Horowitz, Saul Alinsky and every woman I've ever argued with.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bigfoot

After a guy has flown a plane so many times he doesn't use a checklist card because he can do it by memory.

I can't imagine I ever would. At 20 years and 2500 hours flying the EA-6B I still went down the checklist with a challenge and reply on every item.

Perhaps that's just the difference between civilian and military training or maybe I knew my memory just has always sucked. grin

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
IC B2

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

99 members (10gaugemag, 308xray, 300_savage, 41rem, 808outdoors, 13 invisible), 1,546 guests, and 921 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,720
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.