Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Speaking of sinners....

how many points are given for taking out Grandma in a cross walk....

with and without a walker??? whistle

GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
The Duggars are (were) one of the last vestiges of clean, family friendly programming on television.

You should care because the media is once again doing everything they can to vilify the traditional, Christian family.

That's an important part of this story.

I have a problem with the whole underpinnings of the Duggars TV show, though, and it comes from my experiences in the past in fundamentalist/evangelical Christian circles. It occurred to me many, many years ago that many of the folks who sought the limelight in church circles were not the healthiest people I knew (psychologically speaking).

The healthy Christians who make up the backbone of most good churches are solid, healthy, happy, folks... and from an entertainment point of view, dull and uninteresting. Almost inevitably, it seems, the ones who seek (and get) the most attention aren't exactly salt of the earth.

I worked for 4 years as a teacher and vice principal of a Christian school back in the early 80's. There was a lot of hoopla and flash about the host church, and the school itself. I didn't care much for that part of it, just did my bit to the best of my ability. The leader of the whole deal was a great pastor, a wonderfully charismatic guy who made everybody feel great about themselves and their church/school. Eventually the whole thing came apart, in no small part because this wonderful pastor was screwing the principal's wife (and half a dozen other prominent married women in the congregation), among several other scandals, including at least one family where sexual abuse of daughters/sisters was going on. I had moved on a year or two before this all came to light, thank God, but many good friends went through this and it wrecked a lot of lives.

I wish I could say that was an exceptional case, but I'm aware of many other cases like this. It doesn't seem to be as big a problem among more traditional church denominations, for what that's worth.

YMMV. This whole thing saddens me on multiple levels.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I heard recently that over 50% of men, and 42% of women, will end up cheating on their significant other.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Yeah, antlers, I've read similar numbers. I know from my own observations as a medical practitioner that an awful lot of people have trouble staying faithful. And that's not just the Christians, either. wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's a pretty sad statistic.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Kind of a tempest in a teapot. A good excuse for some folks to gloat at another family's downfall or shortcomings. Even if it is a 14 year old young man with serious hormonal issues, I have to say they put themselves in a bad position by sort of lecturing other folks. Jesus' main problem is not the attacks from his enemies, but the behavior of his friends

'

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antlers
...the media is once again doing everything they can to vilify the traditional, Christian family.

Christians have to bear some, if not most, of the responsibility for the negative light in which they are seen. You are what you are, not what you tell people you are.

I'm not sure the Duggars are really a traditional, christian family.

They belong to the "quiverfull" movement, espoused by Bill Gothard, and his organization, Advanced Training Institute.

There are a fair number of questions about his morals and whether it is a cult or not.

YMMV, you can certainly do a search on ATI or Gothard, and make up your own mind.

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
TV is for money...all BS.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steve
What's Roman Polanski, Woody Allen, and Lena Dunham's opinion on this?
blush

I bet they are laying low on this.

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
With all the problems in the world wgaf about this bullspit. All of ya get a fuggin life.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
It's a vagina, not a clown car.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Sycamore

I'm not sure the Duggars are really a traditional, christian family.

They belong to the "quiverfull" movement, espoused by Bill Gothard, and his organization, Advanced Training Institute.

I would have to agree, The Duggars are not a traditional Christian family in the sense most middle Americans consider "traditional". They hold to the Quiverfull movement, which is a fundamentalist philosophy (I don't know that it qualifies as a sect, or a cult) that adheres to very rigid concepts of morality.

A lot of the grouchy bastards who post on this forum regularly about the loss of traditional American values appear to be in agreement with the basic principles of Quiverfull folks, IMHO.

But having lived among folks of this strict fundamentalist mindset myself in the past, and being a long-ago graduate of Bill Gothard's Institue in Basic Youth Conflicts (now Institute in Basic Life Principles) I would not care to embrace their philosophy or lifestyle myself at all, at all. It seems like a sensible program until you start to dig into the nuts & bolts of it, and actually try to live it. Highly restrictive, inflexible, judgmental... these are terms that come to mind. They don't hold with liquor, dancing, screwing, divorcing, tobacco, etc... basically, they're Uber-Baptists. Makes me shudder just to type that!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Her body has to be destroyed. Child birth is hell on women!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Esox357
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Her body has to be destroyed. Child birth is hell on women!

They make up for it in spades...!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[b][color:#3333FF]Link..![/color][/b]

Duggar boy was 15. One of the sisters he was diddling was 5 at the time...

"The report goes on to say that sister then told her father, Jim Bob, what had happened, and shortly after that Josh was sent to a program to do manual labor."

This is way beyond a 15 year old playing with 14 year old sisters boobies as has been surmised.

Sickening.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Paradiddle
If it turns out that when he was 14 he played with some 14 year old boobies, does that make him a child molester?

In the state I live in that is statutory rape - consenting or not - and it is against the law.
You must live in the state of confusion.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So is Bill Clinton

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Who is Duggar?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by FishinHank
I couldn't care less what the dumbfuck does, my life goes on as usual. My uncle is gay but that is what he wants. Why is it so hard to accept people for who they are? I guess I just DON'T GET IT...

Mental illness? Really? I will let my uncle know that he has a mental problem since you think it is that. Your stupidity is showing..........

Everyone is entitled to their view, even if it is [bleep] up.

Everything you need there to get 'Ol Duggar off the hook....maybe even marry his sister, dog or staircase!

Last edited by HawkI; 06/03/15.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 02bfishn, 1minute, 160user, 62 invisible), 2,492 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,440
Posts18,470,863
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.