Originally Posted by Yondering
I have the RCBS die set for making 45 Auto shotshells from 308 brass, don't know how they'd do in a revolver but they cycle a 1911 just fine.

One thing I learned that helps shot patterns a lot is using cut down .410 shot cups instead of just filling the case with shot. You can't get as much shot in there, but patterns are generally more uniform.

These do take a lot of experimentation with different powders to find good patterns though; some do much better than others but that probably varies with different guns.

i use the .410 shot cups in .45colt where you shove the shotcup in over the powder, then just trim the wings to the case mouth.
Also used an inverted .44gas check at the front as a cap sealed with hot glue. All of those ideas work. Venturino's article in handloader talked about making these, but i believe without pulling the article to be sure, his comment was the 12shot gave you a much more dense cloud. I do know these things work on arizona rattlers, and i will be carrying a .44next week during dove season, or a .45colt for that purpose.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO