-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Predators around here have the same behavior pattern, hatari. Except ours have face tattoos and speak Spanish - or Polynesian.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by hatari
Funny how lions have 2 distinct personalities. During daylight hours, they lounge around and nap and can be scared off or away. About an hour before sundown, they get up, get angry, and get to work.

Ya, in another, longer version that video I linked, they said that stunt was way too dangerous to pull after dark.

...and then I think of all the times I used to walk a couple of miles home at night in the dark in West Africa from the next village up the mountain, no flashlight or lantern, a stunt that the locals would NEVER try to pull....

...no lions right where I was, and leopards were rare. Their stated fear was of witches and witchcraft, but that cultural norm likely came from a time when they really did have a reason to be afraid of the dark eek

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
You mean these aint for eating crickets?
[Linked Image]

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Short video by Don Heath showing what guides are dealing with around lions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6JpcBF_zBY

Resume for Don Heath-
http://www.zoominfo.com/p/Don-Heath/103605935

Last edited by 86thecat; 08/25/15.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
...(but near as I can tell they did it in groups...
Birdwatcher

Mike,

In 1986, while on the North Slope, I met the last Eskimo to have killed an adult Polar Bear with a spear. He did it the traditional way, alone on the ice, pretending to be a seal to decoy the bear close enough to kill it. eek shocked

Ed

Did that Inuit have balls the size of Coconuts ? wink

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Funny how lions have 2 distinct personalities. During daylight hours, they lounge around and nap and can be scared off or away. About an hour before sundown, they get up, get angry, and get to work.

Ya, in another, longer version that video I linked, they said that stunt was way too dangerous to pull after dark.

...and then I think of all the times I used to walk a couple of miles home at night in the dark in West Africa from the next village up the mountain, no flashlight or lantern, a stunt that the locals would NEVER try to pull....

...no lions right where I was, and leopards were rare. Their stated fear was of witches and witchcraft, but that cultural norm likely came from a time when they really did have a reason to be afraid of the dark eek

Birdwatcher

Mike, I would have been much more worried about the snakes! eek

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I see Darwin still had the correct theory.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Birdwatcher

Mike, I would have been much more worried about the snakes! eek

Forest cobras were the ones to really worry about, a poor girl at our school was killed by one when she stepped over a log in the forest, bit her on the ankle. So I guess I'm like most Africans I met; I personally knew of someone killed by a snake.

Yet, from that same village where I would go in the evenings during the dry season to get water, one time some blowhard forbade me to leave the village because after the coup there was a dusk to dawn curfew. I might have considered staying over but the guy was a real d&ck, so I slipped out the back way and walked that two miles back to my own village through the forest on footpaths, navigating by dead reckoning by the light of a full moon.

I know that was me because I remember doing it. Whether that was the same guy that sits typing this now I cannot tell....

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
What? You can't pet the big kitty?

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Birdwatcher

Driving a dirt road/track in Zambia at night. Stopped to take a leak in the middle of the road. Climbed back in the car and 1/2 mile down the raod came up on a tom leopard trotting along. Whoa! Not in Kansas, Toto.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (1badf350, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 62 invisible), 2,549 guests, and 1,349 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,454
Posts18,471,089
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.